Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 26th March 2013, 16:24   #1  |  Link
Terka

Spatial denoise of DSLR raw

Can images like high 12800 iso D800 be denoised? Decreasing resolution/blurring is ok.
http://s23.postimg.org/z1hhxf2jv/nikond800_iso.png
Terka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 17:21   #2  |  Link
yup

Terka!
I think Non Local Means can solve problem for denoising, need only tune parameter. Try Ximagic denoiser (work with ACS and Gimp).
yup.
yup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 20:35   #3  |  Link
lisztfr9

For the Gimp there is a tutorial using non-linear filter (nl filter). Also you can applied this filtering through a mask, there is a discussion on Flickr explaining that.

There is chroma noise too, so... i tried once to denoise my raw files, the best tool is your raw converter coming with the camera.

On the Fujifilm x10 now they take 4 images to recompose 1 single with relative low noise, imho it's a very good idea.
lisztfr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 09:27   #4  |  Link
Yellow_

Darktable, open source, offers camera sensor noise profiling and removal in raw. Many camera noise profiles have already been created and camera model is auto detected at raw import. However its only available for Linux & Mac. Its also offers OpenCL.

Last edited by Yellow_; 27th March 2013 at 09:29.
Yellow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 10:46   #5  |  Link
Terka

Thank you for suggestions. I mean use avisynth filters using Fritzphoto. On really high iso samples appear group of pixels eg 8x8 pixels, that create fake details that are difficult to remove. Compare the blue gradient iso 100 vs iso 12800 under the letter "t" (last character of sign "..ofot")
Old 28th March 2013, 20:53   #6  |  Link
lisztfr9

Avisynth, as the name suggest is not suitable for that particular task, and fritz pro isn't aimed for that either. You will be able to use a general purpose spacial denoising filter only.

Denoising, i mean converting from raw to jpg is a very complicated task, first of all it involves procedures only relatives to you camera (demosaicing...), it's sensor, even barrel and concussion distortions.

But you can apply a denoising filter through a mask with Gimp, for example preserving dark parts (as your deep blue artifacts). Gimp as at least 2 filters for that, and the nl filter for example will keep details between pixels when contrast is low, etc.

Basically, duplicate your image, apply a denoising filter, and apply it through an inverted mask, so the filter will work only on low light..

http://registry.gimp.org/node/4235

1) From raw to jpg it's a long and abrupt path, involving more than can be thought, -> There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.166-7)

2) Gimp is you friend, masks allowing you to control the result. Or your raw converter (i guess there are some free too), Gimp can open some raw files too.
lisztfr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 11:39   #7  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

If you use Linux, Rawstudio implements the fft3d-filter de-noising and sharpening algorithm, with a similar functionality to 'limitedsharpen' added on top. Obviously it is only a 2D version.

Almost all code was re-written, since ff3dfilter was very inefficient in terms of multithreading. All paramters have been combined in to a single "luma denoise" and "chroma denoise" and "sharpen" values.
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:26   #8  |  Link
Terka

sh0dan thank you.
Old 24th May 2013, 09:44   #9  |  Link
Terka

one more thing - which resize method to use to reduce the noise by resize?
Old 24th May 2013, 10:30   #10  |  Link
Lyris

It's not Avisynth, and it's not open source, but so far I haven't found better spatial filters for this task than the ones that come in Adobe Lightroom.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 14:53   #11  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

I think best filter for photo denoise is nik noise reduction, but is only for ps and not free
Imho LR and Topaz ones do a sharpen after denoise...

also working hard in ps with channel maskering, filtering and switching (cmyk and rgb channels are somehow compatible) can do many times better than an automatic filter