Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th June 2006, 11:17   #1  |  Link
Paddington
Author of SubtitleCreator

New version of SubtitleCreator for .NETv2 released

Version 2.0.0 of SubtitleCreator differs in many ways from the previous version 1.9.2, not in the least that it is compiled for .NETv2 (so you need to have that installed). The actual version is even a bit slicker, but I didn't have time to update my pictures. More recent examples can be found on SourceForge (follow the previous link).

• Manusse managed to overlay the subtitles on top of the DVD, which was the most requested feature! This allows you to see the results before you burn the DVD: even better, you can actually watch your DVD, with the new subtitles added on top. Optionally, you can combine them with the original subtitles. The current version of the filter has been tested extensively with PowerDVD, although other DVD players might work too. You can turn the option off in the Settings menu.

This actually means that you need to have CLVSD.ax (comes with PowerDVD) registered on your system using "regsvr32 path\CLVSD.ax". You can also look for it in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.
  • Semi-automatic addition of a subtitle while retaining the menu, using only freeware tools: The DVD wizard (Tools menu, or CTRL-W) has been improved a lot. It allows you to create a SUP subtitle file at the start, after which the wizard will demultiplex it for you (depends on PgcDemux), multiplex it again with the new subtitle (depends on MuxMan), and finally, add it to the existing DVD to keep the menu (depends on the latest version of VobBlanker, v2.1.1.0 RC1).

Just a quick guide as how it works:
    1. Open the wizard (CTRL-W),
    2. Select any file from the original DVD, press next (if the original contains subtitles, they will now be extracted)
    3. Select the new subtitle language and subtitle: the main window will appear again, and you can select a Profile, position the subtitle, and do some editing of errors (press CTRL-Z to go to the next error).
    4. Use the Synchronize menu to open one of the extracted original subtitle SUP files: select matching pairs left and right (near the beginning and end: double-click to find the nearest subtitle in the other window) and press synchronize.

5. Create the SUP and return to the DVD wizard form
    6. Press Start to let SC do the rest (it will call PgcDemux, MuxMan and VobBlanker)

• Added a translator tool to translate from SUP to SRT (Tools menu): It's still a manual job, but at least all the time information is copied from the original SUP file.
  • Added a Most Recently Used file list.
  • It runs under the .NET2 framework, and it is compiled using the freeware C# IDE, SharpDevelop. The downside is that you need to install it if you haven't, but it is worth it... it just looks much better.
  • It comes in three GUI languages: English (default), French (by Manusse) and Dutch. Write me a PM if you would like to translate it to your own language, which should be relatively straightforward.
  • It also features support for Closed Captions, although this is still under testing by its developer. As I don't use them, I couldn't really test them...
  • In addition, there are many more small additions and bug fixes, e.g. it opens by default your last subtitle file, it saves the window position and size (when you save your settings), it by default uses Heathcliff's rendering algorithm (much better looking!), and others I forgot about...

Any comments appreciated!

Last edited by Paddington; 20th August 2006 at 04:26.
Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 05:09   #2  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

I couldn't help noticing the Romanian subtitles. Is it a coincidence, or are you Romanian ?
PS: I haven't tried the app, but it looks great!
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 06:09   #3  |  Link
Paddington

My wife is born in Romania, and I actually started SubtitleCreator for her parents, who would like to watch DVDs with Romanian subtitles (there are not that many). I'm Dutch, however (and so is she), currently living in Australia, and besides Romanian, I also speak German, French, and Spanish (although the latter two are a bit rusty).
Old 22nd June 2006, 23:35   #4  |  Link
Mtz

A nice gift for my birthday from Paddington to me. Thanks ! (from Romania).

*Edit: when using for example "Left or Right" alignment, the function is working only on the first subtitle line if the subtitle have 2 lines. If I want to make all subtitles aligned to the left, I can't select all subtitles.
In the "Edit" menu is "tekst" (dutch?) instead of "text".
The "baloon tips" for the arrows for the Next Chapter and Previous Chapter are in the wrong order.
The "line height" arrows up an down are not working OK.
I can't see the srt subtitles when playing a dvd. They appear on the blue bar of the SubtitlesCreator but not on the video. I have registered the CLVSD.ax.
/Edit

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by Mtz; 23rd June 2006 at 00:13.
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 09:20   #5  |  Link
Paddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz
A nice gift for my birthday from Paddington to me. Thanks ! (from Romania).

*Edit: when using for example "Left or Right" alignment, the function is working only on the first subtitle line if the subtitle have 2 lines. If I want to make all subtitles aligned to the left, I can't select all subtitles.
In the "Edit" menu is "tekst" (dutch?) instead of "text".
The "baloon tips" for the arrows for the Next Chapter and Previous Chapter are in the wrong order.
The "line height" arrows up an down are not working OK.
I can't see the srt subtitles when playing a dvd. They appear on the blue bar of the SubtitlesCreator but not on the video. I have registered the CLVSD.ax.
/Edit
Happy birthday Mtz and thanks for letting me know about a couple of bugs!

I've fixed them all except the Alignment option: do you really need to align all lines left or right - I normally only see that happening per line.

BTW, SourceForge seems to have some problems, so you may not be able to download the fix yet (v2.0.1 RC1).

About the subtitle overlay: after installing SC, did you run it immediately - the installer probably needs to install the overlay filter. Check that it is properly installed by right-clicking on a DVD and selecting the About the DVD option. If it's installed and it doesn't work, we have a real issue!
Old 23rd June 2006, 22:26   #6  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

About the DVD overlay

Hi Mtz,

For the DVD overlay, can you check that:

Settings->Overlay Subtitles on DVD is validated.
Settings->Select DVD decoder->Preferred by SC is validated.

About CLVSD.ax. I have tested that the overlay filter can work with the CLVSD.ax that comes with PowerDVD version 4, 5 and 6 but not with the one that comes with version 7 (I don't know why). Could you check which version you use?

If all of these seem correct, can you play a DVD and right click on the video and choose about. Then tell us what you can read after "SC Sub filter : " and "DVD Decoder : ".

Thanks

Manusse
manusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 01:18   #7  |  Link
Mtz

1. Looking at the "About" I saw this:

and as you can see the original subtitle was displayed in some wrong place and the custom sub wasn't.

2. After uninstalling the Nvidia decoder I have this:

Now the overlay filter is OK.

No uninstalling of SubtitlesCeator between 1 or 2. Just restart of it

Another report: the "Play the movie backwards" button is not working.
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 07:36   #8  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Hi Mtz,

Thanks for your reply.

According to the screen copies you provide:

Settings->Select DVD decoder->Preferred by System is validated

In this case, SC tries to use the default DVD decoder provided by Windows XP. It tries to build a DirectShow graph that is including the overlay filter. Maybe in the case of the Nvidia decoder it can't and that's why the about box doesn't show it.

After you removed the Nvidia decoder, SC uses one of the remaining decoders if you have more. In your case you have Intervideo WinDVD installed. According to tests I have made this decoder is not working with PAL DVDs but may work with NTSC DVDs which is your case (FrameRate 60).

To our knowledge, only PowerDVD 4,5,6 and Fraunhofer decoders are working well with NTSC and PAL DVDs in SubtitleCreator. But if you don't plan to use PAL DVD's with SC, this is not a problem.

Cheers
Manusse
Old 6th July 2006, 12:02   #9  |  Link
joker76

Very nice!
especially the dvd preview option!

This program definetly makes the best subtitles of all srt -> sup converters, if u ask me. i especially like the arial narrow font.
joker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 18:19   #10  |  Link
tomywong

Hi Paddington,
Can you try this : http://www.tototek.com/sup/sup_test.rar
Use Manipulate SUP from tools.
Do a few times,
load sup
save sup (overwrite it)
load again sup
save sup (overwrite it)
After a few times, you can see this SUP already move its position and look bad. Hope you can fix it.
tomywong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 02:45   #11  |  Link
allouh

sincere thanks for this great program
allouh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 11:13   #12  |  Link
Paddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomywong
Hi Paddington,
Can you try this : http://www.tototek.com/sup/sup_test.rar
Use Manipulate SUP from tools.
Do a few times,
load sup
save sup (overwrite it)
load again sup
save sup (overwrite it)
After a few times, you can see this SUP already move its position and look bad. Hope you can fix it.
Thanks for letting me know and please give the latest version a try - this problem should be fixed.
Old 21st July 2006, 02:27   #13  |  Link
tomywong

Hi Paddington,

I tried v2.0.2. Problem solved a little bit. Position will not move now. But each time you save sup (overwrite it). whole sup will move to left by 1 pixel. Can you check again ? Thank you.
Old 22nd July 2006, 14:29   #14  |  Link
Kitt0s

hmm i like this version :]

one problem tho... it doesn't show the loaded subtitle on the screen? it just shows the first subtitle on the dvd (english) ...
Kitt0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 20:02   #15  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Hi Kitt0s,

For the DVD overlay, can you check that:

Settings->Overlay Subtitles on DVD is validated.

If it's the case and it is still not working, check also that

Settings->Select DVD decoder->Preferred by SC is validated.

You can find more details here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...345#post844345

I have tested that the Subtitle overlay function of SubtitleCreator is working well with the following DVD decoders: powerdvd4, powerdvd6 and fraunhoffer, also windvd4 but only for NTSC DVDs.

Cheers

Manusse
Old 23rd July 2006, 09:39   #16  |  Link
Paddington

Quote:
Hi Paddington,

I tried v2.0.2. Problem solved a little bit. Position will not move now. But each time you save sup (overwrite it). whole sup will move to left by 1 pixel. Can you check again ? Thank you.
You are right - your subtitle did have a problem (previously, I used one of my own subtitles, and that was fine). Version 2.0.3 should have that fixed too.

BTW it's quite an irregular file - some subtitles are missing, some don't have a reported end time!
Old 23rd July 2006, 11:24   #17  |  Link
tomywong

Hi Paddington,

Thanks for new update. Now, sup will not move its position and will not shift to left by 1 pixel each save (overwrite). But I checked sup saved by SC v2.0.3 with DVDSubEdit. It still show a little problem. See here :
The picture have two subtitles, the top one is original, the bottom one is saved by SC. You can see the one saved by SC that bottom have one more pixel, and missing the right end pixel. It use right end -1 pixel instead the real right end pixel. So, you can see right end and right end -1 pixel are same. You understand what I saying ? Sorry for my bad english.
Yes, this sup is not normal, some subtitles are missing. Don't know why.
Old 24th July 2006, 08:06   #18  |  Link
Paddington

Quote:
Hi Paddington,

Thanks for new update. Now, sup will not move its position and will not shift to left by 1 pixel each save (overwrite). ...
for checking againg - OK, could you give it one final go with v2.0.4: my initial check with DvdSubEdit revealed no errors, so hope that is really the case!
Old 24th July 2006, 13:31   #19  |  Link
tomywong

I tried SC v2.0.4, Great !! Fixed. Thank you for your time to fix this. I like SC very much. I always use it to change sup position and color. With some not normal sup, I need to use other tools. But now, I can use it again. One tools for all usage, good.
Old 30th July 2006, 07:27   #20  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@paddington and manusse: why don't you guys use AviSynth and AviFil32.dll instead of overlaying? That basically gives you access to the video frame as a bitmap, and you can change it to your heart's content.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote