Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 21st December 2001, 04:29   #1  |  Link
asphaltgym

1 DVD to 2 DVRs help!

Ok, so copying a <4.7G single layer DVD is easy just using smartripper.

And copying a >4.7G dual layer DVD where the ripped streams you care about ARE <4.7G is also easy now that Derrow has made IFOEDIT. (http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/Derrow/index.html)

Also, if the streams are >4.7G and you are willing to sacrifice quality then Derrow also allows transcoding the video stream so that's pretty easy.

My problem is I don't want to sacrifice quality. I mean what's the point of backing up my top 10 dvds if the backup is substandard - isn't that a little like going to videotape? I've been trying all kinds of ways to split a DVD onto 2 DVRs but have never succeeded.

Here's the closest I've come (using phantom menace as example)- does anyone have a solution or ideas?

1. Used Derrow's method of stripping and recreating the VIDEO_TS.IFO and other files to make a menu-less DVD. Total size 6.5G. Took Vobs 5 to 7 and MOVED them to a new folder and COPIED the IFOs from 1 to 4 over. Renamed vobs 5 to 7 as 1 to 3. Then ran Get VTS sectors on all the IFOs. Well, both VIDEO_TS.ifo's seem to load in PowerDVD but there's funny behavior as you chapter navigate past the end of the film. I'm not brave enough to burn these and try it yet. This method also doesn't let me put the end of another movie on the 2nd DVD (not totally necessary but would save some $$)

2. Heard that Roxio Videopack DVD authoring can import Vobs but it doesn't seem to recognize SOME of the native DVD vobs (or the stripped VOBs). Also noticed that the beginning of the movie where the text scrolls into space has that repeat problem where it jumps back to english-spanish-german versions.

3. Roxio DID manage to import the m2v ac3 streams from smartripper but complains about their size being bigger than 1Gig. Next I will try splitting them into 1G chunks (or having smartripper do it)
asphaltgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2001, 06:04   #2  |  Link
WZ_Man

I am having the same issue, I was actually just coming here to post the same question. I have been trying a couple different methods. None have worked as of yet. I have some DVD-RWs that I am going to try it with, once I get the movie to work with PowerDVD.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

WZ
WZ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2001, 07:43   #3  |  Link
WZ_Man

Alright, after messing with it.. I figured out a way to do this. I don't know if it is the best way, probably not, but it works in a stand-alone.

split the rars up like you were doing, put in a small "dummy" VOB file.. rip the 2nd dvd with ifoedit againg creating new ifo files.. and that should be it.

I did find that there was a stall in the beginning of the 2nd dvd for some reason, and extra chapters at the end of the movie.. obviously I am doing something wrong, but the movie plays.

I am going to try to take the extra chapters out with smart ripper and see what that does...

anyway...

Let me know if anyone else has other results..

-WZ

UPDATE:

It works flawlessly...

Instead of just creating the ifo files, I created the VOB files as well... All chapters were kept in tact.

Here is what I did...

1. Rip dvd w/ smart ripper
2. Rip stripped and ripped the movie with ifoedit by checking all of the boxes in VOB extras
3. Let ifoedit do its thing. You then have the full movie in a new directory. (with new ifo files)
4. Don't forget to Get VTS sectors for each file and save
5. Look at the movie to see where it should be split.. Split it up into 2 folders. copy the VIDEO_TS.VOB/BUP and vts_01_0.ifo/bup files to the new folders
6. for the 2nd cd, place empty vts_01_X.vob files in the directory to replace the missing ones from the first DVD
7. run ifo edit and rip the 2nd folder to a new folder using all of the vob extra features mentioned above again.
8. You should now have a 2nd DVD ready to be burnt (I don't think I left anything out)

I am not saying that this is the best way, It was my 2nd attempt and it worked. Any input is welcomed..

Hope this helps...

WZ

Last edited by WZ_Man; 21st December 2001 at 09:03.
Old 21st December 2001, 20:31   #4  |  Link
romirova

1) Can you explain how to create "empty vts_01_X.vob files"?
2) Should these "empty" files be numbered the same as the "real" files (the ones left on the 1st disc) they are substituting, OR do you renumber the "real" files for the 2nd disc 1,2,3... and assign the remaining to the "empty" files?
3) On the first disc, do you need to create "empty" files to replace the one transfering to the second?
THANKS!
romirova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2001, 20:48   #5  |  Link
WZ_Man

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by romirova
1) Can you explain how to create "empty vts_01_X.vob files"?
2) Should these "empty" files be numbered the same as the "real" files (the ones left on the 1st disc) they are substituting, OR do you renumber the "real" files for the 2nd disc 1,2,3... and assign the remaining to the "empty" files?
3) On the first disc, do you need to create "empty" files to replace the one transfering to the second?
THANKS!
I have updated my method a bit and posted it at a new thread:
http://rilanparty.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=11807

It seems to be a bit buggy still, unless ifoedit isn't doing something properly, maybe Derrow can help on this..

To answer your questions...

1. Just make them in notepad
2. you want to substitute the "dummy" files for the real files that were left out from the 1st DVD
3. I am not sure if you need to substitute for the missing files on the first DVD or not.. Testing that right now.

Hope this helps,

WZ
Old 21st December 2001, 20:59   #6  |  Link
sneek666

you don't need to go to that much trouble

just edit the start sectors so that it plays starting with the files you put on the 2nd dvd. look here to see how to do this.

http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/Derrow/calcsec.html
sneek666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2001, 21:16   #7  |  Link
WZ_Man

I tried that, my stand-alone didn't seem to work right when I just edited the start sector..

WZ