Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 23rd August 2019, 03:15   #17221  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
I use an SSD for my temp drive and for remuxing files afterwards with audio/subs. So far put over 20TB of writes on it in about a year and it is doing well.
For sure speeds up some of the work.
What SSD are you using? I'm considering either a 2 or 4 Terabyte SSD to increase longevity.
FuzzyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:54   #17222  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Video conversion will mainly write large files with linear access. An SSD should like this kind of access with little wear.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:02   #17223  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Video conversion will mainly write large files with linear access. An SSD should like this kind of access with little wear.
I hope you're correct. I'm concerned that the large amount of writing would reduce a SSD's lifespan faster than typical usage.
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:13   #17224  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNutz View Post
I hope you're correct. I'm concerned that the large amount of writing would reduce a SSD's lifespan faster than typical usage.
Typical MLC SSD has 3000 P/E cycles. After that number data retention in room temperature drops below 1 year.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9248/...data-retention

I have already used all 3000 P/E cycles and my SSD still works
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:14   #17225  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Update:
- Okay in DE mode & non-DE mode, I got the flickering in Core 2019.08.17.
- StaxRip 2.0.3 doesn't seem to have the issue but playback (FPS) is wrong and it can't complete the whole file (~20% of the total frames)
+/- Non-DE mode (since encoding servers won't start for me) I'm not seeing the flickering in Core 2019.08.20...so it might be fixed (need more testing to feel confident)
+ In Handbrake I don't have the issue.

If Core 2019.08.20 is fixed that is great. Not sure if the index slowness issues was fixed as well since I can't get the encoding server to start.

Update-Update....I don't know why but the servers are starting now...I'll try DE mode in Core 2019.08.20
-NOT seeing the lwi indexes being created for chunks!
My RB core date is 2019-08-17 and the flickering is still happening.
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:27   #17226  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Typical MLC SSD has 3000 P/E cycles. After that number data retention in room temperature drops below 1 year.

My rig runs 24/7. I move completed RipBot264 projects to mechanical hard drives. Retention when my system isn't running was not my focus, but thanks for the info.
I used the formula found here to estimate lifespan based on write usage: https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-...-to-take-care/

Last edited by FuzzyNutz; 23rd August 2019 at 14:42.
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:57   #17227  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
My RB core date is 2019-08-17 and the flickering is still happening.
Update! At the very least 8.20 Core doesn't have the index rebuild issue for each chunk. I was going to run more test but fell asleep. Doing that now. At least 1 of 6 didn't get the flickering when on 8.17 it was getting it each time (ran test 3 times).

Quote:
What SSD are you using? I'm considering either a 2 or 4 Terabyte SSD to increase longevity.
Correction, 30TB written. I have 4 different SSDs but I recommend the Samsung EVO line since they have one of the best warranties if you're really worried. I still use a physical drive for storage of source files.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 15:04   #17228  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Update! At the very least 8.20 Core doesn't have the index rebuild issue for each chunk. I was going to run more test but fell asleep. Doing that now. At least 1 of 6 didn't get the flickering when on 8.17 it was getting it each time (ran test 3 times).

Correction, 30TB written. I have 4 different SSDs but I recommend the Samsung EVO line since they have one of the best warranties if you're really worried. I still use a physical drive for storage of source files.
I've tried deleting the "updater" and "update_log" files with hopes of nudging to the newest available update, but my core date is still 08-17 according to Windows Explorer. It shows as version 1.25.0.0.
When and if I do get RB to update the core beyond 08-17, will I need to reload projects that were loaded while the core was 08-17?

My OS and other software are on a 500G 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 and my RipBot264 projects are on an HDD. I'm considering using an 860 EVO 2.5" 4TB SATA III for RipBot264 projects. My completed RipBot264 projects are on HDD's.

Last edited by FuzzyNutz; 23rd August 2019 at 15:34.
Old 23rd August 2019, 15:36   #17229  |  Link
brumsky

Quote:
I've tried deleting the "updater" and "update_log" files with hopes of nudging to the newest available update, but my core date is still 08-17.
When and if I do get RB to update the core beyond 08-17, will I need to reload projects that were loaded while the core was 08-17?

My OS and other software are on a 500G 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 and my RipBot264 projects are on an HDD. I'm considering using an 860 EVO 2.5" 4TB SATA III for RipBot264 projects. My completed RipBot264 projects are on HDD's.
I have several SSDs that are very old, one is an OCZ Vertex2 which came out 6+ years ago. It was back before SSDs were maxing out the SATAIII bus - that just shows you how old it really is!

https://imgur.com/rw39jSj

Both of the 850 evos are 250GB SSDs. I used them for a year or two to run a DB that had a ton of writes. Then for past few years I've been using them as a temp dir for ripbot and Plex DB.

The OCZ drive is still going strong. it is currently my ISO store on a PVE cluster. It just won't die... lol

I really want to get a MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro. The 1TB version is warrantied for 1,660TBW. Yes you read that right 1.6PBs of writes. It normally sells for 110-120 USD. They are hard to find now though, my guess is they are going to release a new SSD line soon. the BPX Pro isn't the fastest but you have to love that TBW warranty!!

EDIT:
By the way everything is working perfect now!! Thank you all for the hard work to fix this!

Last edited by brumsky; 23rd August 2019 at 15:40.
brumsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 15:47   #17230  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
I've tried deleting the "updater" and "update_log" files with hopes of nudging to the newest available update, but my core date is still 08-17 according to Windows Explorer. It shows as version 1.25.0.0.
How can I force RB to update to the newest version?
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:58   #17231  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
How can I force RB to update to the newest version?
Edit the update.ini in the RipBot folder. Change the LastCheck= to something from last year, save, reopen RB, check the Updates folder and you should be seeing new files come in. I don't know the threshold but that works for me.
Old 23rd August 2019, 17:14   #17232  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Edit the update.ini in the RipBot folder. Change the LastCheck= to something from last year, save, reopen RB, check the Updates folder and you should be seeing new files come in. I don't know the threshold but that works for me.
Didn't work for me.
Old 23rd August 2019, 18:30   #17233  |  Link
nekrosoft13

Quote:
doesn't work
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 18:31   #17234  |  Link
nekrosoft13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post

Goodram, i see you buying local
Old 23rd August 2019, 18:32   #17235  |  Link
nekrosoft13

Quote:
try to stick with MLC and TLC (at the worse) avoid the new cheap QLC drives.

QLC are becoming really popular due to cheap prices, which soon could be a problem and MLC and TLC could disapear from consumer products.

In eyes of consumer prices matters the most.

MLC right now is pretty much enterprise only.
Old 23rd August 2019, 18:41   #17236  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Yeah! Avoid QLC like plague! They are very slow outside SLC cache (less than 80MiB/s!) and also P/E is around 100.
https://hardforum.com/threads/crucia...d-hot.1982110/
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 19:04   #17237  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Didn't work for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
doesn't work
Huh, what I just did and I see another update today to the EncodingClient, EncodingServer, RipBot264, and update exes
Not sure what changed though...
Update: oh, new options in settings for default decoder (LSMASH or FFMS2)
Thank you for the update and being a great Dev.

Last edited by byteshare; 24th August 2019 at 01:47.
Old 23rd August 2019, 19:46   #17238  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Huh, what I just did and I see another update today to the EncodingClient, EncodingServer, RipBot264, and update exes
Not sure what changed though...
Update: oh, new options in settings for default decoder (LSMASH or FFMS2)
I can't get RB to update on demand. Deleting the "update_log" and/or "updater" files won't work. Changing the "lastcheck" to an older date in the "updater" file won't work. Replacing the core to 1.24 won't work. Run RB as administrator won't work. I have "Use Auto-update" checked in the RB Advanced Settings. RB updates when it feels like it. Grrrr.
Old 24th August 2019, 01:44   #17239  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
I can't get RB to update on demand. Deleting the "update_log" and/or "updater" files won't work. Changing the "lastcheck" to an older date in the "updater" file won't work. Replacing the core to 1.24 won't work. Run RB as administrator won't work. I have "Use Auto-update" checked in the RB Advanced Settings. RB updates when it feels like it. Grrrr.
First, you should already be running RipBot as admin for it to work right in most cases.
I've been manually changing the last LastCheck in the updater.ini for years.
Try this:
Confirmed "Use Auto-update" is checked > Close RipBot > Open the updater.ini in notpad > Change the LastCheck from something like "LastCheck=2019-08-23 10:06:22" to "LastCheck=2016-08-23 10:06:22" > Save the file > open RipBot as admin > Check the update folder: \RipBot\Updates > once no new files come and and the files are there are no longer growing in size > Close RipBot > Open RipBot as admin and the update should start to install.
You might need to repeat those steps a few times to get completely up to date depending on your current version.

The above method does work, as I've used it for years on more than one machine. So, if it is not working for you than something is either being done wrong or something else is wrong on your setup.

If you are not seeing an update file quickly being made in the folder when you first open RipBot check that your settings are actually correct.

If you are not on Core 08.23 and you are not seeing files be downloaded you might check your firewall settings for RipBot (ie non-local connections are not blocked).
Old 24th August 2019, 01:53   #17240  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
First, you should already be running RipBot as admin for it to work right in most cases.
I've been manually changing the last LastCheck in the updater.ini for years.
Try this:
Confirmed "Use Auto-update" is checked > Close RipBot > Open the updater.ini in notpad > Change the LastCheck from something like "LastCheck=2019-08-23 10:06:22" to "LastCheck=2016-08-23 10:06:22" > Save the file > open RipBot as admin > Check the update folder: \RipBot\Updates > once no new files come and and the files are there are no longer growing in size > Close RipBot > Open RipBot as admin and the update should start to install.
You might need to repeat those steps a few times to get completely up to date depending on your current version.

The above method does work, as I've used it for years on more than one machine. So, if it is not working for you than something is either being done wrong or something else is wrong on your setup.

If you are not seeing an update file quickly being made in the folder when you first open RipBot check that your settings are actually correct.

If you are not on Core 08.23 and you are not seeing files be downloaded you might check your firewall settings for RipBot (ie non-local connections are not blocked).
What is the latest version of the core? I have 1.25.0.0.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360