Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2011, 08:08   #16701  |  Link
v0lt

I'm not going to remove anything (my english is bad). I propose to make renderer VMR-7 (windowed) by default for Windows XP.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:41   #16702  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

So far I was used to the myth that "Hardware Overlay" is the fastest renderer. Is there any reason not to use this one as default? Where has VMR-7 an advantage?

In fact, I never even tried to use VMR-7, not since the MPC family supported VMR-9 (and who does not yet use DirectX 9+?).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
Old 25th March 2011, 08:53   #16703  |  Link
v0lt

VMR-7 (windowed) is very stable.
Overlay Mixer is buggy, if the video has a width or height not divisible by 16. It is observed on the integrated video decoder in software mode.
VMR-9 (renderless) sometimes has problems. Wrong to do by default.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:58   #16704  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
What do you think about replacing the default Overlay Mixer to VMR-7 (windowed) for Windiws XP?
Overlay Mixer is my second choice. Ok, now I don't have any reason to use something else than madVR, but before madVR exclusive mode, I used Overlay Mixer in order not to have tearing.

Quote:
Overlay Mixer is buggy, if the video has a width or height not divisible by 16. It is observed on the integrated video decoder in software mode.
Not sure to understand. From what you said, it can be a decoder problem, no ?
With ffdshow, problem is still here ?
By the way, no need to remove a renderer, and WMR-7 is already default one.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:35   #16705  |  Link
clsid

It is a bug in the internal decoder. ffdshow works fine.
Old 26th March 2011, 22:51   #16706  |  Link
DMD

Good evening

I ask, if possible, insert graphics during playback Audio Files

Thanks
Old 27th March 2011, 02:04   #16707  |  Link
neoufo51

I have a question:

Is this playback settings guide as helpful as it can be?

http://files.nyaa.eu/HOW_DID_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt
Old 27th March 2011, 03:18   #16708  |  Link
KornX
primus inter pares

Quote:
Originally Posted by KornX View Post
make the buffer adjustable!
sometimes i have ongoing IO on the hdd
but many GBs of free RAM...
so i wanna buffer the file (or parts of it)
(like mplayer -cache N)

KornX
so no one else has the same scenario sometimes???

KornX
Old 27th March 2011, 03:54   #16709  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KornX View Post
so no one else has the same scenario sometimes???

KornX
I don't know if that could be a solution and how large you can set it, but Haali's Splitter has an option to set the input buffer size.
Old 27th March 2011, 08:52   #16710  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
I ask, if possible, insert graphics during playback Audio Files
You mean Winamp visualisation style ?

I guess you'll prefer a dedicated audio player. I mean I don't think there will ever be a developer to transform MPC into an Audio Player reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoufo51 View Post
Is this playback settings guide as helpful as it can be?

http://files.nyaa.eu/HOW_DID_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt
Is it a guide for beginners ? Because honestly, no it's not the best settings...
Haali Media Splitter seems to be less good than LAV Filters (for me).
madVR is the reference video renderer; EVR Sync is not developed anymore I think (?).
I would also recommend to disable all internal filters until Nevcairiel's one are merged in MPC-HC Core.
There's also new decoder from Nevcairiel (GPU accelerated for nvidia cards);
Some people would also mention reclock, powerstrip, autofrequency, coreAVC,etc.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=157897 worths reading even if it's not perfect.
Old 27th March 2011, 12:19   #16711  |  Link
KornX
primus inter pares

@sneaker_ger

thx, i know...
but i was hoping for a "portable version"...
and I still hope sb wants to integrate it
cause there seems to be some buffering...
Old 27th March 2011, 12:34   #16712  |  Link
JanWillem32

@darkw1zard: Dxdiag.exe usually gives a good impression on the status of DirectX components. It's usually a combination of outdated audio and video drivers that give this type of problem. Dxdiag can indicate errors, the build date of components and most importantly, the video DDI version of the installed hardware and software. DDI level 9.0 is the bare minimum for the current renderers. Both x86 and x64 executables will have to be checked on x64 systems.

@KornX: EVR renderers can use larger buffers, but the EVR mixer, the OSD renderer and the subtitle renderer generally store images in video memory. Increasing the buffers to more than 4 will generally lower performance a lot.
System memory is rather unsuitable for video, so it's avoided as much as possible. Ffdshow can buffer a few frames if you enable it in the options, but I doubt it has any positive impact at all.

@neoufo51: I hope you can use this.
Notes about the discriptions in the playback advice list:
-Using a fresh, recent installation of MPC-HC, decoders and splitters is of course a good thing. The popular decoders and splitters have been discussed a lot in this thread. I can only advise people to consider them, and of course update the software once in a while.
-Rebooting for software installation/removal is for changing core system files used during boot time (such as security updates from Windows Update), or the system-mode hardware abstraction layer (low-level hardware drivers). Regular software doesn't require rebooting, it doesn't have any advantages since Windows 2000.
-EVR Sync isn't the best choice in all cases. It's actually quite a bit behind the renderer used by EVR CP and VMR-9 (renderless) (these two are only different in terms of mixers). It's worth it to try the different renderers with different rendering settings, to see what works well for you. I must note we coud use some developers to get EVR Sync updated, as I don't have enough time to work on it and there are no active developers to even check for math or typing errors.
-I might be able to get other resizers integrated soon. I've already written some better multi-pass resizers. I just need to find a way to make rotation work properly with those.
-The advice for the subtitle items is completely correct. It might be worth noting that some animated subtitles are too much for the heavily outdated subtitle renderer. Even on my main PC I have to disable subtitle animation with some sample files.
-I disagree on the DXVA part. DXVA is perfectly fine for AVC and VC-1 to reduce the processing load on the CPU, as long as you feed it 8-bit 4:2:0 chroma down-sampled video. (Higher quality video data seems to be very difficult to decode properly by software decoders, too.)

-The screenshot functions in the main trunk build are broken in combination with 10-bit, half floating point and full floating point processing. I added a dirty fix for it in my builds some time ago, but BMP saving is still broken, and there's no option to save images processed by the renderer.
-I personally prefer to convert a saved PNG screenshot to a final image with external tools (I use GIMP and OptiPNG), so I can select compression options myself. I really don't advise to use JPEG compression with the common 4:2:0 chroma down-sampling for snapshots. As the images are down-scaled a lot, chroma (color difference to the reference grayscale) detail will almost always become an important factor in the perceived image quality. For regular saved images it matters a lot less, as the source is usually 4:2:0 chroma down-sampled too.
The only way to save a processed image is to press "print Screen" on the keyboard during rendering, and paste the resulting image in an image editor (even Paint suffices).

-Audio is certainly a lot easier. (Unless you are into multi-channel mastering, VST chain filtering, live work, et cetera, like me.) It's nice that the text also mentions the less common (but excellent) lossless audio formats.

Last edited by JanWillem32; 27th March 2011 at 12:40.
Old 27th March 2011, 12:38   #16713  |  Link
KornX
primus inter pares

@JanWillem

i am not talking about the decoded stuff
i am talking about the file itself....
Old 27th March 2011, 15:15   #16714  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

KornX, what would be the point of the large buffer? What will it achieve?

MPC-HC should start dropping some of it's internal filters. Starting with the TS splitter, to be replaced with the LAVfilter one.

Would be nice if the MPC-HC audio switcher could support VSTs. Then I could install a proper compressor to normalize the volume output a bit.

Last edited by mr.duck; 27th March 2011 at 15:19.
Old 27th March 2011, 17:43   #16715  |  Link
KornX
primus inter pares

expl:
ongoin IO > buffer empty, nothing to decode > framelag
bigger buffer > ongoin io > still data to decode and display
(like the purpose of every buffer)
Old 27th March 2011, 19:37   #16716  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
It is a bug in the internal decoder. ffdshow works fine.
Can you fix it?
Old 27th March 2011, 21:10   #16717  |  Link
neoufo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Is it a guide for beginners ? Because honestly, no it's not the best settings...
Can you tell me what you think are the best settings? I'd like to create a text file like the one I posted for people who want the very best quality.
Old 27th March 2011, 21:59   #16718  |  Link
shaolin95

OK I am trying 10bit again after upgrading to the latest drivers for my ATI HD2400 and the latest ffdshow and mpc-hc builds.
STill cannot get it to work.
I am connected to my Project via HDMI. I have aero set to disable when running MPC-HC and Fullscreen enabled yet this is what I get:
Attached Images

Old 27th March 2011, 22:15   #16719  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Please post a new screenshot with "CTRL+J" statistics active.
Old 27th March 2011, 22:22   #16720  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
Can you fix it?
I guess he already tries to maintain ffdshow project. He can't do fixes for all ffmpeg projects... You can use ffdshow if you don't want this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoufo51 View Post
Can you tell me what you think are the best settings? I'd like to create a text file like the one I posted for people who want the very best quality.
Unfortunately, I'm not the one who knows a lot of things on subjects. More, everybody has his opinion on topic.
But you can google what I said in my previous post. JanWillem32 gave you some hints too.
But using a text file is not the best support today for beginners.
You can try to make a thread on the subject here; maybe some people will help...
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc