Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th September 2004, 17:52   #1  |  Link
sking1001

Why is the volume on my demuxed .AC3 file so low?

*** EDIT ***
I did my test again and results were good!

What I failed to mention was that I trimmed the audio with BeSweet. The last time I used the built in AC3 encoder. (I don't have the command line any more) This time, I used "Payload" output to trim the clip.

So...BeSweet was the culprit. It threw me off, because both output .AC3 files sound EXACTLY THE SAME in Media Player, but when used to mux a title set, the volume is drastically different.

I believe it has to do with BeSweet not creating 100% DVD compliant AC3 files, as I believe I read somewhere.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time...the original problem is solved. However, if I want to do anything besides trimming my audio ("Partial Encoding" setting), "Payload" output will not work. Does anyone know a better solution for re-encoding AC3? (I guess this topic now applies to a different forum, but maybe someone can help here instead?)

Thanks!

*** ORIGINAL POST ***
I have searched the FAQ and about 50 pages of posts and still have not found this. I apologies if I have overlooked something.

I have demuxed the .AC3 audio from my DVD using DGIndex (DVD2AVI), VobEdit, and BeSweet.

They all seem to have a volume that is far lower than the original DVD. I play back the original DVD with PowerDVD or WinDVD on my computer.

I play the .AC3 files in Windows Media Player and have also author a new disc and played back in WinDVD/PowerDVD. The contrast in volume is astonishing!

At first I thought maybe there is some flag in the original .IFO files that boosts the audio, but I can actually play the individual .VOB files (the original vs. the one I remuxed), and the volume on the original VOB is MUCH louder.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Last edited by sking1001; 29th September 2004 at 22:24.
sking1001 is offline   Reply With Quote