Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2010, 20:15   #21  |  Link
DeathWolf

It's a bit sad to see devs. going on a crusade against the world. But alas it is of course your final choice. I would rather be able to force explicitly language for all tracks even if it's the default value, should it be for the idea that everything is *marked* and there isn't random things unmarked because their value is default. I can very well go along the idea of having the default behavior not mark defaults, but if I want to mark them I should be able to...
Old 7th June 2010, 20:25   #22  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWolf View Post
It's a bit sad to see devs. going on a crusade against the world. But alas it is of course your final choice. I would rather be able to force explicitly language for all tracks even if it's the default value, should it be for the idea that everything is *marked* and there isn't random things unmarked because their value is default. I can very well go along the idea of having the default behavior not mark defaults, but if I want to mark them I should be able to...
if you don't like it, fork it...plain & simple.

Thanks Mosu for your unbelievable work on these tools. Keep it the great work.
Old 7th June 2010, 21:54   #23  |  Link
DeathWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
if you don't like it, fork it...plain & simple.

Thanks Mosu for your unbelievable work on these tools. Keep it the great work.
Interesting reaction there. I was just expressing the way I feel. And while forking is something that seems "easy" to the eye, fragmentation is never good. It seems to me you your reaction was fairly... how to say... non constructive and inflammatory.

I was just hoping a non-default option would allow to force default tags, that's all.
Old 7th June 2010, 22:23   #24  |  Link
sneaker_ger

/edit: nevermind...
Old 7th June 2010, 23:49   #25  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
While you are technically right, IMO not setting "eng" code is wrong.
1) Such meta information should be set explicitly. Defaulting to "eng" in standard is very arguable.
I agree! Since when english is the most important language on Earth??? It's very useful but it does not mean that it is above the rest. I as a Pole would like to see Polish language as default. People in Southern America would like to have spanish or portuguese as default and so on. Default language should not exists because there is no default language for all people. It is funny that you mosu as a german don't understand us. Please explain me why every movie in german is dubbed !?!? Why Brad Pit does not speak in english What you did does not make sense at all. If language is not specified it should be automatically marked as 'und' . If language is english then it must be 'eng' and so on! No exceptions!

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 7th June 2010 at 23:54.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:55   #26  |  Link
LeMoi

Mosu said he's not discussing any more because some years ago he had same conversation with other people and made the changes he made. That's why he just doesn't want to change this feature any more, people won't stop changing their mind
Old 7th June 2010, 23:59   #27  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

He should use common sense. If I was doing everything what users want ripbot264 will probably end up as another bloated MeGui!
Old 8th June 2010, 01:19   #28  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
If language is not specified it should be automatically marked as 'und' . If language is english then it must be 'eng' and so on! No exceptions!
If you don't specify any language mkvmerge will still use "und" as the default flag. Only if you explicitly tell it to flag as "eng" no tag will be written.
But I agree that no tag equaling "eng" may not be a wise decision, but changing it now would only increase confusion and break backward compatibility. (Although that's no reason not to write the "eng" tag as before, but it seems that we can't do aynthing about it...)
I made a short test and both Haali's and Gabest's splitters and VLC interpreted the files correctly.
Old 8th June 2010, 07:27   #29  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
I agree! Since when english is the most important language on Earth??? It's very useful but it does not mean that it is above the rest. I as a Pole would like to see Polish language as default. People in Southern America would like to have spanish or portuguese as default and so on. Default language should not exists because there is no default language for all people. It is funny that you mosu as a german don't understand us. Please explain me why every movie in german is dubbed !?!? Why Brad Pit does not speak in english What you did does not make sense at all. If language is not specified it should be automatically marked as 'und' . If language is english then it must be 'eng' and so on! No exceptions!
Please read sneaker_ger's answer. mmg is still defaulting to using "und" when you add a track from a container that does not contain language tags, e.g. AVI files or raw h264 files.

"eng" being the "default value" only applies to the container level. If the "language" element is not present in the file then a reading application has to use "eng" instead. This is indeed not the best value ("und" would have been better), but that's what the speficiations say since 2002. You cannot simply change that now and break every spec compliant program out there.

Like sneaker_ger said: mmg will select "und" by default. If you select "eng" on purpose only then will the "language" element not be written into the file. This is not "us" wanting to dominate the world (hey, I'm German and don't like the US's attitude of them being the center of the Universe either). It's rather a minor technicality.

Some more reasons why I'm not changing this back. Back in 2002 when Matroska was created I was there. I started the first program actually being able to create Matroska files. I wrote the very first patch for the very first player being able to play Matroska files (mplayer). I've been pushing it ever since. Now if I stopped pushing all of it and only concentrated on a common sub-set supported by every player out there then that would mean Matroska will never move forward again. Things like linked files would never happened. You'd never have totally uncommon stuff like FLAC, Kate, Dirac in Matroska. Hell, you'd never have had Matroska in the first place! Never mind the WebM project which would either not have happened at all or with something completely different -- maybe MP4, maybe not even that but Ogg.

Without pushes, without applications using more than just the most basic features no further development will be made. With unchartered territory there's always someone who's first to chart it, and that process is not always an easy one. In this case I'm not even the first. Like sneaker_ger said Haali, VLC support this properly, maybe even some or most hardware players (I only have one to test against, but it doesn't show the track's language anyway).

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 8th June 2010, 07:52   #30  |  Link
GodofaGap

I don't quite understand the consternation yet. I just muxed a file and set the language of both audio and video to eng, and both Haali, MPC-HC and VLC reported the track languages as English.

Which players do not support this? It doesn't seem like a particularly hard thing to implement anyway...

Last edited by GodofaGap; 8th June 2010 at 07:55.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:31   #31  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
"eng" being the "default value" only applies to the container level. If the "language" element is not present in the file then a reading application has to use "eng" instead. This is indeed not the best value ("und" would have been better), but that's what the speficiations say since 2002. You cannot simply change that now and break every spec compliant program out there.
Can you at least modify mkvinfo.exe to show language?

Code:
+ A track
|  + Track number: 2
|  + Track UID: 253140655
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Enabled: 1
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 1
|  + MinCache: 0
|  + Timecode scale: 1
|  + Max BlockAddition ID: 0
|  + Codec ID: A_VORBIS
|  + Codec decode all: 1
|  + CodecPrivate, length 4330
|  + Language: eng
|  + Name: 2.0 Vorbis
|  + Audio track
|   + Sampling frequency: 48000
|   + Channels: 2
| + A track
Old 8th June 2010, 17:33   #32  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Can you at least modify mkvinfo.exe to show language?
No. mkvinfo is designed to show the elements that are actually present. If you want to know things like basic flags, track type and language you can use "mkvmerge --identify-verbose yourfile.mkv". That's what mmg does when you add a file.

Old 8th June 2010, 18:25   #33  |  Link
EricJ2190

I like the idea of not writing default flags and I don't think you should revert that behavior, but how about a command-line option to write default flags if we want that behavior?

If you aren't willing, I'll try and make a modified version for my own use, but I'd like to see that as an option in the official mkvmerge.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:40   #34  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I certainly won't add such an option myself, but I might consider applying patches if anyone wrote them. Such an option would have to be off by default, it won't show up in mmg (mmg is way too crowded as it is already), and it must be documented in the man page (DocBook XML).

Old 8th June 2010, 20:29   #35  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
DTS-HD master audio is different from TrueHD+AC3. With DTS-HD the "master audio" part is actually only the difference between the lossy core and the lossless original. Therefore a decoder needs both the core and the HD part in order to decode losslessly.

With TrueHD+AC3 this is not the case. The TrueHD is completely decodable on its own without the AC3 part.
Thanks for clarifying this.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:14   #36  |  Link
guillome

Hi Mosu,

It seems that starting yesterday Avira AV started to see the mmg.exe located in the mkvtoolnix program folder as a trojan (TR/Dldr.Agent.dsqn' [trojan])

Looking on google, it seems kaspersky went for it too: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=172738

That was with v3.4.0 that i had been using since its release.

Gonna install v4.0.0 and report if it happens again.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:46   #37  |  Link
sneaker_ger

mmg 4.0.0 : 1/41 scanners say it's infected
mmg 3.4.0 : 3/41 scanners say it's infected
(hope the links work)

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 9th June 2010 at 17:12.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:43   #38  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Please report those findings to the AV makers. I cannot do anything about it but report them there as well. Again.

Old 9th June 2010, 21:17   #39  |  Link
sneaker_ger

small addition to my previous post:
MPC-HC's splitter is NOT working fine without the language tag, but only subtitles are affected. ( error description ) Use Haali's splitter (for now).
Old 10th June 2010, 22:27   #40  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
Is there any support for H264 streams with open-gop planned? There are some problems with seeking which is probably caused by a missing support for open-gop in mkv. The problem and its possible cause are explained here: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=178.
I just created an open GOP file with a patched x264 v1564. mkvmerge v4.0.0 can handle the file just fine without any further modification. Like I said mkvmerge already treats the first non IDR slice after a SEI NALU as a key frame from the container's point of view. So I guess this just works.

Closed Thread