Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 31st May 2003, 08:28   #381  |  Link
slavickas
I'm Shpongled

cool, any target release date?, btw waht is "very high bitrate content"(tm) ?
slavickas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 08:33   #382  |  Link
The Shemeta

Great News Karl,

When will be the new Producer build available for download? Can't wait to try it!
The Shemeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 13:59   #383  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Great!

About speed, it would be great to optimize for AMD too, with 3DNOW and 3DNOW2. My Athlon XP can only use MMX and SSE .
Old 31st May 2003, 16:18   #384  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirber
Great!

About speed, it would be great to optimize for AMD too, with 3DNOW and 3DNOW2. My Athlon XP can only use MMX and SSE .
I think karl has already answer this question previously. I would like too since i also use AMD CPU. However to my understanding 3D Now should not be much use in this scenerio.
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 19:24   #385  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold

It will be very interesting to get some feedback [on the RV9 EHQ improvements].
I'll be anxious to try out your improvements too. Just let me/us know what will need to be added to (or changed in) the .rpjf and if any switches need to be used, when the new milestone is released.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2003, 16:11   #386  |  Link
wing1

will this change be available in the audience file or project file?
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2003, 16:27   #387  |  Link
karl_lillevold

status update: still waiting for a 'good' build before anything can be posted. No known bugs in the RV9 encoder, but it is a large system, and sometimes unrelated build busters are checked in elsewhere in the system Development for other 9.2 features than the codec is still going strong.

In order to enable the extra high quality modes in this 1st version, one can
1) edit job file (insert codecProperties)
2) edit audience files (insert codecProperties)
3) use reg key over-rides (useful for GUI Producer with replaced encoder DLL)
4) When the GUI front-ends are updated, they will likely include these options directly (and autommatically insert the right xml code in the job or audience file)

Details later.

For the final 9.2 release these options will probably also be exposed as a top level command line parameter.
Old 5th June 2003, 02:31   #388  |  Link
midiguy

hello. It's been a whole since I posted here. the new ehq mode looks pretty cool. Question though, how is that jitter thing going? I alhpa tested some DLLs for you a while back, and like I said before, it was greatly improved but not perfect. just wondering how that renderer is coming? (I ask because the nly two things holding me back from using rv9 is the jitter problem in the renderer and the excessive, uncontrollable post-processing.)
midiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2003, 22:40   #389  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally posted by midiguy
and the excessive, uncontrollable post-processing.)
It's not that bad, the PP. I did great encodes with no "excessive" bluring at a variety of bitrates.
Old 9th June 2003, 15:39   #390  |  Link
slavickas
I'm Shpongled

@Karl
is it possible to get/build new dll via cvs?
slavickas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2003, 17:24   #391  |  Link
karl_lillevold

no, but another Milestone should be posted shortly, hopefully today or tomorrow
Old 9th June 2003, 19:25   #392  |  Link
karl_lillevold

You can now get a build of Helix Producer that has RV9-EHQ:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55193
Old 16th June 2003, 10:07   #393  |  Link
Valky

Karl said: "...very often I have to find out information about a RealMedia file. Specifically, I need to know the video resolution, the video bitrate, the VBR buffer, and/or the audio bitrate. Soon, also the number of channels of audio..."

I am not sure if people are familiar with tools like GSpot (doesn't support RM-files..), but yesterday I found similiar very handy software that supports ALSO RM-files!

It's called AVIcodec and you can find this freeware from here: http://avicodec.duby.info/

With this message I hope I didn't hijack anyones thread or step on anyones feet. I just wanted to share this great utility I found and I am sure there are also others who have been looking for this kind of tool. (Personally, I found DC's tool too complicated and there is information I dont need)
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 13:56   #394  |  Link
DaWolf
RV9 Fan

Not bad at all but for rmvb files the analyse tool delivers much more information. The shell extenstion provides more basic information than AVIcodec. Nice tool though.

Ruud
Old 23rd June 2003, 17:02   #395  |  Link
rakaz

Karl:

This probably isn't the right place for reporting problems with RealOne, but since you already answered a couple of other questions regarding similar problems I am going to try anyway.

The problem I am experiencing is stuttering video. If I play a rm file (no matter which codec) the video freezes in a couple of seconds. A couple of seconds later the video resumes playback. A couple of seconds later the video freezes again...

All the files I tried are loaded from my local hard drive, so this isn't a bandwidth issue. I've tried old files, new files, the test files from real.com and nothing works, so it looks like it is a player problem and not a movie file problem.

Things I looked at so far:

- Sound keeps playing even if the video freezes.

- RealOne does use a overlay. If I move the window during playback the video area lags a bit behind the player window frame, a clear sign that an overlay is being used.

- MPC also experiences the same problem, with both render types.

- Both RM and MPG files are affected. AVI files are not.

- If I look at the 'Playback Statistics' the 'Current fps' drops to 0 during the freeze. 'Frames Dropped' increases. 'Frames Displayed' also drops to 0% momentarily.

- Changing the 'Video Card Compatibility' setting does affect this problem slightly. Setting it to 'Most reliable' does increase time between freezes and the length of each freeze. The problem does not go away though.

- Changing the 'Sound Card Compatibility' settings does noet affect this problem.

- Downgrading to Real 8 does not solve the problem.

I didn't have these problems before. Only after upgrading my system they started to appear. I use Windows XP. Athlon XP 2200+, nForce 2, geForce 2MX. Latest official drivers.
rakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2003, 18:51   #396  |  Link
karl_lillevold

@rakaz:
I am sorry, but this problem sounds nothing like anything I have seen before. Could I ask you to check if the CPU usage spikes when the video freezes? If there is a spike, is it possible to use the Task Manager to see which process causes the spike? Do frames drop, or does the video continue where it left off, and then out of sync with audio? If you go to Tools -> Playback statistics, then click on the Streams tab, and select the Video stream in the drop-down box, are any frames reported as dropped? Finally, you mentioned it happens for MPEG. Does it happen for MPEG in any other media player than Real?

Thanks! Also, if you are interested in trying a pre-release version of the video renderer to see if this fixes your problem, pls send me a PM with your e-mail.
Old 23rd June 2003, 19:53   #397  |  Link
rakaz

Quote:
Could I ask you to check if the CPU usage spikes when the video freezes? If there is a spike, is it possible to use the Task Manager to see which process causes the spike?
No spikes. CPU usages around 5% - 10% overall. During a freeze RealOne CPU usages drops from around 5% to 0-1%. At the moment the video starts playing again RealOne CPU usage goes up to around 20% then drop back to normal... at least until the next freeze.

Quote:
Do frames drop, or does the video continue where it left off, and then out of sync with audio?
I have seen three things happen when the video continues:
- The video suddenly begins playing again at a keyframe and I've just lost all frames during the freeze.
- The video suddenly begins playing at a i-frame and you notice some artifacts on the screen until the next keyframe.
- The video suddenly begins playing out of sync and for a second or so you can see the video is trying to get back into sync (high fps). At the moment it is back in sync it starts playing normal again. This might be important: Not all of the frames that should have been displayed during the freeze will shown. Only the last couple of seconds of the frames that should have been shown are actually shown at a high fps. So most of the frames are lost.

Quote:
If you go to Tools -> Playback statistics, then click on the Streams tab, and select the Video stream in the drop-down box, are any frames reported as dropped?
What happens is this:
a) the video plays correctly:
Current: is 20fps, Frames Lost: 0, Frames Dropped: 0

b) the video freezes, audio keeps playing
Current: is going down to 0.0fps, Frames Lost: 0, Frames Dropped: 0

c) the video starts playing again
Current: is 0.0fps, Frames Lost: 0, Frames Dropped: 0

d) not more than half a second after the video starts playing
Current: is going up to 20fps, Frames Lost: 0, Frames Dropped: 263

So yes, frames are dropped.

Quote:
Finally, you mentioned it happens for MPEG. Does it happen for MPEG in any other media player than Real?
It does happen with MPEG, but only when played from RealOne. If I play MPEG files from MPC (for example) everything goes fine.

Quote:
Thanks! Also, if you are interested in trying a pre-release version of the video renderer to see if this fixes your problem, pls send me a PM with your e-mail.
No problem, if you need more information, or if you would like me to do some specific test I would be glad to help. PM is on the way.
rakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 22:35   #398  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

@Karl

Hi Karl! What's up! I have (again! ) some questions about new features of Producer 9.2. What is the new multi-channel codec? Is it based on cook? What is it's bitrate range?

Thanks for your time and keep the good work!!!
Old 25th June 2003, 03:37   #399  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Lots of things going on, very busy, but thanks for checking in!

I will be writing a post about RA Multi-Channel shortly, its ins and outs, the different codec flavors, and how to encode RA Multi-Channel content, once I have verified how such bitstreams can be played back by the Helix Community (and readers of this forum). It will either be splay, the Helix DNA Client cmd line decoder, and/or with DLL replacements for RealOne V2. Does anyone here have more than two speakers connected to their computer ? I don't, only for my home theater setup, but now I may just have to upgrade my computer speakers

In the video world, I will be experimenting with an animation mode (variable framerate encoding) for RV9. Whether or not this will actually improve anything, is not at all certain. It is not that easy to tell the difference between noise and just a small part of the animation is being updated.
Old 25th June 2003, 22:24   #400  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold

Does anyone here have more than two speakers connected to their computer ? I don't, only for my home theater setup, but now I may just have to upgrade my computer speakers
Yes, I have a 5.1 speaker system. So I can try out any multi-channel you want me to. It goes without saying, i'd also like to try out multi-channel encoding myself, too.

Edit: changed some verbage.

Last edited by 31 Flavas; 25th June 2003 at 23:03.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote