Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st August 2016, 16:54   #39001  |  Link
Stereodude

As long as the average is below 1/refresh and you don't get dropped or repeated frames, it's fine. The max could be a problem if your buffers / queues are small.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 17:24   #39002  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
It doesn't. All that it knows is the HDR peak brightness (of the display), as set during 3D LUT creation, then applies the BT.2390 rolloff + saturation adjustment, then maps into the display colorspace (with imo great results btw, my implementation has come some way in the past three weeks and will be available in the next version of DisplayCAL). Of course, a 3D LUT cannot react to dynamic metadata, which could be seen as a drawback. So far, I don't think it matters much, though.
using MPC-BE with internal codecs could work as a work around.

madVR should get the bt 2020 information but not the HDR infos and if i'm not mistaken that is what you want.

i will for sure try your new 3D LUT.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 17:42   #39003  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
using MPC-BE with internal codecs could work as a work around.

madVR should get the bt 2020 information but not the HDR infos and if i'm not mistaken that is what you want.
Good point, I will try that, thanks.

Quote:
i will for sure try your new 3D LUT.
I'll likely post it in the madVR/Argyll thread on AVSforum when it becomes available. Currently the changes are only in version control.
fhoech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 19:38   #39004  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Good point, I will try that, thanks.

I'll likely post it in the madVR/Argyll thread on AVSforum when it becomes available. Currently the changes are only in version control.
don't worry i will find it i just need my TV back first.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 20:07   #39005  |  Link
wolfman2791

Is it me or is there no difference between chroma upscaling with super xbr compared to nnedi... my gpu can handle both fine. But i don't see any reason to use up the additional resources. Am I wrong in my assessment?
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 20:40   #39006  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
Is it me or is there no difference between chroma upscaling with super xbr compared to nnedi... my gpu can handle both fine. But i don't see any reason to use up the additional resources. Am I wrong in my assessment?
No, your assessment is accurate. You've discovered how difficult it is to detect changes to the chroma layer.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 20:57   #39007  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

There are some clips where the difference is more visible, but it's usually really hard to tell, especially in motion. The only reason to use high quality upscaling for chroma is when you have a lot of power left over - chroma usually only has a quarter as many pixels as luma, so high quality upscaling is relatively inexpensive.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:41   #39008  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You quoted me for something I didn't say. I ran both through a picture comparison tool and there's little change in detail nothing really noticeable.. It's just the lines which we already know are thinned too aggressively.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Oh, sorry for quoting you on the wrong reply.

At any rate, we both can agree that the thinning is very aggressive, that's totally true! I just happen to enjoy it with a lot of content

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
For some reason I keep going back to Jinc for all my scaling needs. It seems to look more natural and has almost no artifacts unlike the other scalers.

NNEDI3 128 does look quite good. 256 looks a tiny bit better, but my 1080 GTX tends to get hot with that setting and the render times are at about 39 ms, which is too close to the frame time of 24p content. Should I lower the setting if the max sometimes hits 45 ms, but the average is around 30 ms? I'd ideally want the max under the 41.7 ms of 24p content?
You're playing FHD content and getting these times?

I imagined that after getting an 1080 I would finally be able to do 4k + NNEDI 256 neurons
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:38   #39009  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
As Ver said the differences are extremely minor. Super-xbr is your best bang for buck and the main choice I think for most in the forum as it's relatively inexpensive in comparison to NNEDI3, just make sure to tick anti-ringing.

Last edited by ryrynz; 2nd August 2016 at 03:41.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:39   #39010  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
For some reason I keep going back to Jinc for all my scaling needs. It seems to look more natural and has almost no artifacts unlike the other scalers.

NNEDI3 128 does look quite good. 256 looks a tiny bit better, but my 1080 GTX tends to get hot with that setting and the render times are at about 39 ms, which is too close to the frame time of 24p content. Should I lower the setting if the max sometimes hits 45 ms, but the average is around 30 ms? I'd ideally want the max under the 41.7 ms of 24p content?
I wouldn't recommend 256 neurons it's really not worth it, don't let the max render time get that high and accept that extra heat and noise for something you won't even notice.
There's significant diminishing returns past 64 neurons.

Last edited by ryrynz; 2nd August 2016 at 12:58.
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:40   #39011  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Oh, sorry for quoting you on the wrong reply.

At any rate, we both can agree that the thinning is very aggressive, that's totally true! I just happen to enjoy it with a lot of content

You're playing FHD content and getting these times?

I imagined that after getting an 1080 I would finally be able to do 4k + NNEDI 256 neurons
My monitor is 1440p, so I can't really test 4K unless I downscale.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:39   #39012  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Cheers, I'm curious.
Quote:
don't worry i will find it i just need my TV back first.
What happened to it? What model?
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:06   #39013  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend 256 neurons it's really not worth it, don't let the max render time get that high and accept that extra heat and noise for something you won't even notice.
There's significant diminishing returns past 64 neurons.
That's why I'm pretty much sticking to Jinc for all my scaling needs.
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:22   #39014  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
That's why I'm pretty much sticking to Jinc for all my scaling needs.
You can't see a difference in sharpness between Jinc and NNEDI3 64 neurons?
Old 3rd August 2016, 01:23   #39015  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
You can't see a difference in sharpness between Jinc and NNEDI3 64 neurons?
I can, but NNEDI3 has more artifacts. It tends to look more processed. Not a huge issue with chroma, but it doesn't look too good with image doubling.
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:21   #39016  |  Link
ryrynz

Guys, Check your OSD after installing the Anniversary update as 14393.10 broke NNEDI3 on my GTX 960 and may likely bork other setups too.

NNEDI3 was working fine previously just prior to the update, I simply reinstalled the graphics drivers selecting a clean install and it's working fine now.
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:37   #39017  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Thanks. Yeah, those big updates do tend to break drivers - it's pretty annoying.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:53   #39018  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Guys, Check your OSD after installing the Anniversary update as 14393.10 broke NNEDI3 on my GTX 960 and may likely bork other setups too.

NNEDI3 was working fine previously just prior to the update, I simply reinstalled the graphics drivers selecting a clean install and it's working fine now.
It's because the Windows update deletes OpenCL driver. Happens for every big update to Win10.
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:50   #39019  |  Link
ianken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
Anyone else having problems with Pascal GPU (1070,1080) getting the proper P-state when using Madvr in mpc-hc or mpc-be?...
YES. MY findings:

OK. Here's my fun-times with MAD-VR and 4K + HDR. Running 0.90.23 in MPC-HC with a 12 core XEON and GTX 1080 on an HP DeamColor z32x 4K monitor.

Windowed: like butter. Even with the window nearly the full size of the 4K display. GPU clock :1.8 GHZ, load (with all HDR processing enabled: 75%) No dropped frames decoding 4k60p HDR.

Full screen exclusive: Drops frames like mad with both 4K24 or 4K60. GPU-Z shows the GPU clock is WAY lower at 835Mhz and fully loaded. Unusable. Even dialing back settings, frames still drop.

Really odd.
Old 4th August 2016, 02:15   #39020  |  Link
digitech

anyone uses Nvidia DSR with MadVR on MPC-HC with a 1080p display.. is it recommended for 2k or 4k then downscaling to native res?
digitech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling