Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2016, 05:45   #21101  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

The video decoder unit on Nvidia GPUs is called PureVideo (and the encoder unit is NVENC).

A video decoder software using the PureVideo SIP block will only support its provided features according to the feature set of its generation. Feature Set F should be the first supporting HEVC Main10 profiles; Feature Set G cards even support Main12 profile.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 06:50   #21102  |  Link
CruNcher

Or Internally just VPX (where X is the Generation) and it includes both Encoder/Decoder as most probably it stands for Video Processor X.

And Encoding started as NVCUVENC which is still working up to date before everything was moved to the Hardware and recaled NVENC

We are at Feature Set H

8th Generation by now

Quote:
Added support for VDPAU Feature Set H to the NVIDIA VDPAU driver. GPUs with VDPAU Feature Set H are capable of hardware-accelerated decoding of 8192x8192 (8k) H.265/HEVC video streams.
either that or higher bitrate or Mulitply streams unless you reach the Maximum Decoding Capacity and Encoding/Capturing has some Software Driver Locks on the utilization side for different market usage

Though it's pretty uknown if the 1050 (GP107) brings anything new yet to VPX that's not externally made public so officially its feature set H

Nvidias Hybrid H.265 Decoder inside GM204 is roughly as performant as 4 intel Sandy Bridge cores on OpenHEVC alone at decent 4K Streaming bitrates, with some Decoding Performance issues that most probably never really got considered of being optimized any further it could certainly do better as it does by now

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 30th October 2016 at 08:14.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 07:20   #21103  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trandoanhung1991 View Post
Using LAV 0.68.1.

Any idea why it keeps defaulting to avcodec? I have a GTX 1070 which should be able to decode this with ease, since it supports 4k@60 10b decoding.
Try again using DXVA2 instead of CUVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I can't play 10-bit H.265 on my system, but I thought that H.265 was handled by a separate chip on Pascal cards, not CUVID cores.
Try again using DXVA2 instead of CUVID.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 10:00   #21104  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Indeed, just don't use CUVID. It doesn't support proper 10-bit decoding (and I do not plan to offer broken 10-bit decoding like some of these XP users here want).
DXVA2 is generally superior, it offers full bit-exact 10-bit decoding and various other features that CUVID couldn't begin to offer (like proper HDR metadata extraction, and more).
Old 30th October 2016, 10:48   #21105  |  Link
trandoanhung1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Indeed, just don't use CUVID. It doesn't support proper 10-bit decoding (and I do not plan to offer broken 10-bit decoding like some of these XP users here want).
DXVA2 is generally superior, it offers full bit-exact 10-bit decoding and various other features that CUVID couldn't begin to offer (like proper HDR metadata extraction, and more).
Is the broken 10-bit decoding due to Hybrid decode? Pascal seem to offer full HW decoding of 10 and 12 bit streams.
trandoanhung1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 10:50   #21106  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The CUVID interface just doesn't offer full access to 10-bit images, its a limitation from the API NVIDIA makes available for CUVID.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:19   #21107  |  Link
VictorLS

nevcairiel
Many thanks for reply.
It is a pity but I have to use Win7x64 from now more often (
PS. I have 8bit monitor and NVIDIA CUVID with h265 10bit hardware decoding by "dither it down to 8bit to return as NV12" like in Linux will be quite enough for me but ... thanks once more.
PPS. What about add possibility check/uncheck Use HQ DXVA Processing in LAV Video Decoder like in LAV CUVID Decoder with possibility automatic switch CUVID for h264 and DXVA2 for h265 while DXVA2 will play files such DXVA_NVidia_bug.ts and 2016-09-20 21-15-33.ts by new videocards without artifacts?
It was one of the important thing why I used WinXP - I never saw artifacts like in Win7x64 when watch SAT programs. If all SAT h265 is 8bit I use XP now with LAV Video Decoder NVIDIA CUVID )
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 00:49   #21108  |  Link
trandoanhung1991

Quote:
The CUVID interface just doesn't offer full access to 10-bit images, its a limitation from the API NVIDIA makes available for CUVID.
Quote:
CUVID offers decoders for H264, HEVC, H263, MJPEG, mpeg1/2/4, vp8/9, vc1. Codec support varies by hardware. The full set of codecs being available only on Pascal hardware, which adds VP9 and 10 bit support.

While decoding 10 bit video is supported, CUVID is only able to output 8 bit video, so the additional 2 bits are lost in the process.
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

Pretty conclusive. Maybe put this as part of the FAQ?
trandoanhung1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:25   #21109  |  Link
kral2008

Quote:
But, kindly, if you improve the LAV CUVID compatibility, people haveing older graphic cards can watch UHD channels, I think most of them only want to watch just 4K HEVC and they don't attention to whether it is 8bit, 10bit, Dolby vision or HDR.
kral2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:28   #21110  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

How do you mean that?

If CUVID does not support decoding 10 bit precision, LAV can't make CUVID support it. Only Nvidia could (if it is at all technically possible).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:48   #21111  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kral2008 View Post
But, kindly, if you improve the LAV CUVID compatibility, people haveing older graphic cards can watch UHD channels, I think most of them only want to watch just 4K HEVC and they don't attention to whether it is 8bit, 10bit, Dolby vision or HDR.
CUVID does not offer anything that DXVA2 does not also offer. I will not implement broken decoding modes, ever.
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:12   #21112  |  Link
kral2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
How do you mean that?

If CUVID does not support decoding 10 bit precision, LAV can't make CUVID support it. Only Nvidia could (if it is at all technically possible).
Quote:
While decoding 10 bit video is supported, CUVID is only able to output 8 bit video, so the additional 2 bits are lost in the process.
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

Quote:
CUVID does not offer anything that DXVA2 does not also offer. I will not implement broken decoding modes, ever.
I know it too,
as I said before, it is just a demand by the users of old cards to watch 10bit HEVC, they don't care about losing 2 bits in output picture (according to the link given above). Maybe they don't want to spent money on a new card.
But you have absolute discretion to choose what you want to do.
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:04   #21113  |  Link
captaiŋadamo

Quote:
as I said before, it is just a demand by the users of old cards to watch 10bit HEVC, they don't care about losing 2 bits in output picture (according to the link given above). Maybe they don't want to spent money on a new card.
You seem to act like it's only loosing bits of precision in the output, when in reality what is likely to come out of the decoder is broken or corrupted output. From what I remember a couple of years back from an Ars Technica dicussion, someone tried to feed the 1st-gen Maxwell Hybrid decoder with 10-bit HEVC and they got output with a purplish haze to it. Which is completely broken and would be silly to allow.
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:13   #21114  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Every card that can decode HEVC 10-bit through CUVID can also do it through DXVA2. There is literally no reason to use it, except when you are on Windows XP, but there is an easy fix for that, too, just install a supported OS.
Before I do *anything* for XP, I would rather remove support for it entirely to close this annoying topic down.
Old 3rd November 2016, 20:31   #21115  |  Link
kral2008

Quote:
Every card that can decode HEVC 10-bit through CUVID can also do it through DXVA2. There is literally no reason to use it, except when you are on Windows XP, but there is an easy fix for that, too, just install a supported OS.
Before I do *anything* for XP, I would rather remove support for it entirely to close this annoying topic down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaiŋadamo View Post
You seem to act like it's only loosing bits of precision in the output, when in reality what is likely to come out of the decoder is broken or corrupted output. From what I remember a couple of years back from an Ars Technica dicussion, someone tried to feed the 1st-gen Maxwell Hybrid decoder with 10-bit HEVC and they got output with a purplish haze to it. Which is completely broken and would be silly to allow.

By reading these two posts I understood the story. Now I convinced that CUVID is a dead one and spending time for it is wastage of your invaluable time. You are right.
So, I think the best way is buying a 1050 to extricated ourselves from the predicament.
Old 3rd November 2016, 21:01   #21116  |  Link
VictorLS

kral2008
I understood long time ago if nevcairiel said no it is forever (I had to buy new GTX750v2 videocard about 100$ for perfect hardware acceleration 4K h265 8bit in WinXP and 10bit in Win7 - GTX1050 can 12bit but have not WinXP drivers - because he were not easy implement only key frame decoding in LAV Video Decoder, but I satisfied with my new videocard and thank nevcairiel one more time about it). But it is very pity because I think it is very easy to implement support h265 10bit in LAV Video Decoder through NVIDIA CUVID like in Linux https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/965840
WinXP has no problem with very critical problem for many people who watch SAT TV in Win7 and newer OS with files such DXVA_NVidia_bug.ts and 2016-09-20 21-15-33.ts
nevcairiel not said no yet about http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...05#post1784305
So we hope to use "supported" LAV Video Decoder in "supported" Win7-8 in players and DVB programs with NVIDIA CUVID as hardware accelerator before DXVA2 repearing in drivers of nVIDIA - if it is driver problem at all. I have to use "not supported" LAV CUVID Decoder 0.13 in "supported" Win7x64 now (but I prefer "not supported" WinXP with "supported" LAV Video Decoder). I have to uncheck h264 decoding in "supported" LAV Video Decoder - it is very hurts me )
captaiŋadamo
I see "purplish haze" when hardware decoding h265 12bit with CUVID in LAV Video Decoder or software decoding most of h265 10bit with Lentoid HEVC Decoder v2.1.0.2_2015_12_02_r4644 or "green haze" when software decoding all h265 10bit with Elecard HEVC Video Decoder (all both in WinXP and Win7x64). With Mainconcept HEVC Video Decoder software decoding of h265 10bit is well.
But in Linux with philipl's accident discovering h265 10bit hardware acceleration well decoding with CUVID is possible. I am sure in Windows XP-10 it is possible too but ... read first part of my this post.

Last edited by VictorLS; 3rd November 2016 at 21:39.
Old 3rd November 2016, 21:06   #21117  |  Link
captaiŋadamo

VictorLS, if you think it's so "very easy" to do all the things nev has said no to where are your pull requests to him that adds the features? You should have had all the time in the world to implement it by this point in time.
Old 3rd November 2016, 21:28   #21118  |  Link
nussman

Nonsense by VictorLS (again) ...
DVB programs with LAV (DXVA) and Win7 or newer works just fine.
Try to setup your system properly instead of thinking about WinXP, Cuvid or other useless feature requests.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 22:05   #21119  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
DVB programs with LAV (DXVA) and Win7 or newer works just fine.
Have you try to play DXVA_NVidia_bug.ts and 2016-09-20 21-15-33.ts with DXVA2 (or even CUVID if your card is nVIDIA and your OS is "supported" and not Win10) on your "perfect tuned" computer before write this? Did you read two pages from http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...41#post1781141 ? Especially http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...44#post1781444
Do you receive Russian's NTV+ provider from 36E? Or BBC or ITV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCBxKPOI84 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek45LblB45k ? It is not my video and not my files. I and all that people of the world (I know much more people with same problem) are wrong and you are right? It is laughing ... I can receive more then 10000 TV channels and I am IT professional and I know what I say - DXVA2 (exaxtly HQ DXVA processing because turning it off in LAV CUVID Decoder giving perfect result in Win7) have bug and this is undiscussible.
I understood one more thing: nevcairiel is perfectionist - maximum quality despite of artifacts and so on ...
Am I wrong?
captaiŋadamo, I think nevcairiel not implement h265 10bit support in CUVID because of noone bit could not be lost, I even think that he tried this with positive result already )
PS. It is a pity but any other decoder (including commercial) have no CUVID based h265 hardware acceleration.

Last edited by VictorLS; 3rd November 2016 at 22:48.
Old 3rd November 2016, 22:14   #21120  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Feel free to use some other decoders if you wish, not forcing you to use LAV, but I can't fix driver bugs, no matter how hard I try. Also the "DXVA_NVidia_bug.ts" stream is broken, the stream just has errors on it, its not fully valid.
The youtube videos you listed are both for an RX480, which isn't even an NVIDIA card, and AMD royally screwed up the drivers for the Polaris cards in regards to DXVA and deinterlacing.

No matter how long you complain, there is nothing for me to change, so you might as well just stop and leave us all alone with your misery.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 3rd November 2016 at 22:19.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter