Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th August 2015, 15:07   #32441  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
As far as I know, if you are using D3D9 nothing has changed between 87 and 88.
Thanks for this, I'll try disabling d3d11 with 88.16 and I'll report if it solves anything. It's indeed the main thing I've changed compared to pre-dropped frames.

If it does, I might even be able to come back up to 88.21.

The only reason I selected d3d11 in recent builds was to be able to enable/disable FSE (therefore 10bits) in one click. As I don't really use FSE/10bits, going back to d3d9 should be pretty painless.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 16:30   #32442  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
It would be great if we could check somehow coz after comparing DVI & HDMI straight off my 7850 using 13.12 on W7, I strongly suspect that RGB 4:4:4 isn't quite as pass-through over HDMI as it is over DVI.
AMD is outputting 10 bit by default unlike DVI so there is some about this but still less conversation than YCbCr.

i hope you are aware of the disable dither and forced 8 bit output mode possible with newer driver. a RGB capture card should be able to verify this.

Quote:
Of course I was comparing a poorly shielded 8ft HDMI cheapo OEM cable against a quad shielded very stiff 4ft branded DVI cable made of solid copper wires, but cable build quality would supposedly not matter with TMDS
the results of a bad signal are very visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopija View Post
My understanding is that Aero is gone in W10, so there is no need for disabling desktop composition in madVR?
all windows version since vista have "aero" it is simply not called aero any more and forced since windows 8. it's just the desktop composition which is very important except for FSE and overlay they work totally fine without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
He must be talking about his own best mode, as i see from his gpu the best mode may be overlay, still with a good gpu nothing is better than Full Screen Exclusive mode and whoever says u dont need it is lying. :P
so why i'm lying? why do all people need FSE or are lying?

overlay mode is error resilient and even in window mode and can make the best use of GPU gamma ramps.

there is nothing wrong with FSE in general. if you have 2 displays you will notice some issue with FSE in general and FSE only works in fullscreen unlike overlay.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 19:08   #32443  |  Link
Asmodian

Personally I like overlay mode the best too.
Old 7th August 2015, 19:22   #32444  |  Link
baii

I think it is GPU driver fault, but I do get presentation glitches and frame drop (any content) in d3d11 windowed. Where d3d9 windowed have weired high render time and frame drop. This is same on both 88.16 //.21. Perfect playback on FSE.

15.7 AMD driver
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 00:16   #32445  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Small bug I just noticed: When LumaSharpen is enabled within image enhancements and you change the radius value of it, madVR does not allow the Apply button to be pressed, as if it thinks no change has taken place. However, if you change teh strength or clamp values it will notice the change and let you press Apply.
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 07:13   #32446  |  Link
Sunset1982

got my 4K TV yesterday. I have tested some things and would like to ask some questions:

- madvr is only running in windowed mode instead of fullscreen exclusive, when used to upscale to UHD, whatever I set it up to.

- is there a way to get the stats windows bigger when using 4K mode?

- what do I need to get 10 Bit mode working with 4k?

- since needi3 isnt working correct in win10 atm, what settings do you guys use to get best possible quality? Super-XBR S:100?

Last edited by Sunset1982; 8th August 2015 at 07:17.
Sunset1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 07:22   #32447  |  Link
James Freeman

I also use Overlay mode.
It completely bypasses any Aero, Vsync, and Direct3D "collision" between software and OS.

Overlay: MadVR -> GPU -> Display.
No Overlay: MadVR -> GPU -> OS -> Display.

It resembles Exclusive mode with audio, in which the exclusive program takes control over the audio card and bypasses the OS mixer.
In Shared mode the OS mixes all the sounds from all software to the output.

In video Overlay the exclusive portion is only the size of the rendered video window.
That's is why when taking a screenshot there is a "hole" where the video should have been.

This is another plus for Nvidia users.
Old 8th August 2015, 07:49   #32448  |  Link
Akeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
- since needi3 isnt working correct in win10 atm, what settings do you guys use to get best possible quality? Super-XBR S:100?
Super-xbr combined with SuperRes appears to be the next best choice for upscaling. Some testing has shown that with SuperRes, super-xbr and nnedi3 look near identical while super-xbr is much lighter on the gpu.
Refer to this post and the posts following for examples.
Akeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 09:09   #32449  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Super-xbr combined with SuperRes appears to be the next best choice for upscaling. Some testing has shown that with SuperRes, super-xbr and nnedi3 look near identical while super-xbr is much lighter on the gpu.
Refer to this post and the posts following for examples.
thx for you info.

What settings in sharpness and superRes would you suggest?
Old 8th August 2015, 09:25   #32450  |  Link
Manni

Just a quick follow-up regarding my dropped frames.

I re-installed 88.21 and enabled FSE (10bits, d3d11).

I had no dropped (reported or not), duplicated frames of pres glitches. Playback was flawless.

This is only over a 2 hour movie, and I haven't tested if I still had MPC-BE crashes with this configuration.

If I do, I might try to disable FSE and switch back to D3D9 and see how it goes.

It would be nice to be able to use the latest build.

If either looks stable, I'll try to re-install 15.7.1.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 11:29   #32451  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
overlay mode is error resilient and even in window mode and can make the best use of GPU gamma ramps.

there is nothing wrong with FSE in general. if you have 2 displays you will notice some issue with FSE in general and FSE only works in fullscreen unlike overlay.
Thanks again.
I wanted to try it out on my setup (see my signature) but madvr says "This GPU/Driver doesn't support overlay...".
Can anybody use overlay mode on Win8.x and with nvdia gpu? If yes, with which gpu and driver version?
Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 13:33   #32452  |  Link
kalston

Yep, overlay is amazing. Ever since I found out about it I haven't looked back.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 14:43   #32453  |  Link
XMonarchY

I wonder if the next version of madVR will include updated algorithms for Chroma Upscaling SuperRes Filter.
Old 8th August 2015, 14:44   #32454  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
so why i'm lying? why do all people need FSE or are lying?

I know that with 2 displays FSE mode is very problematic but u can correct it by changing some of your gpu default settings. Disabling some stuff makes wonders. Overlay used to be the best way to render videos since windows 7 appeared. With Windows 7 came the crap aeros and the intensive use of vertycal sync in triplicate or more. So FSE mode is the only Vsync i trust, because i dont have my own gpu Vsync setting enabled, that way i know there is only one VSync being used, with overlay if i disable Vsync in my gpu settings i wont have vsync in Full Screen and if i enable it i may be using 2x Vsync ( OS + madvr overlay ). So for me FSE mode is here to stay.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 15:03   #32455  |  Link
huhn

if you really think it works this way...
Old 8th August 2015, 16:00   #32456  |  Link
alx000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
I know that with 2 displays FSE mode is very problematic but u can correct it by changing some of your gpu default settings. Disabling some stuff makes wonders. Overlay used to be the best way to render videos since windows 7 appeared. With Windows 7 came the crap aeros and the intensive use of vertycal sync in triplicate or more. So FSE mode is the only Vsync i trust, because i dont have my own gpu Vsync setting enabled, that way i know there is only one VSync being used, with overlay if i disable Vsync in my gpu settings i wont have vsync in Full Screen and if i enable it i may be using 2x Vsync ( OS + madvr overlay ). So for me FSE mode is here to stay.
What settings can I change to improve FSE mode?
I have a r9 280
alx000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 16:14   #32457  |  Link
huhn

just to make it clear it is highly recommended to leave all GPU settings at default for madVR.
Old 8th August 2015, 16:32   #32458  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx000 View Post
What settings can I change to improve FSE mode?
I have a r9 280
try put everything in "let the application decide" in your gpu 3d settings and disable all video enhancements. That should do. On Nvidia i found 2 settings that was screwing up madvr video playback. I put it like this:

-Multi-Display/mixed Gpu acceleration = single display performance mode

-Power management mode = prefer maximum performance

This makes the gpu preform without saving power crap auto settings.

As for Vsync u shoud set it as "let application decide".

Now answering @huh,

If u use madvr overlay windowed in full screen and u let your gpu settings by default i dont even want to know wtv crap u are running without even knowing.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 17:54   #32459  |  Link
huhn

nothing madVR avoids them by default
Old 8th August 2015, 18:32   #32460  |  Link
nussman

No problems here with default GPU Settings and with/without FSE.
What xabregas says is not true for sure.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling