Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 14th June 2003, 01:06   #61  |  Link
traragorn

Re: RV9-EHQ in GUI Helix Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
Download a build of Command line Helix Producer that has EHQ (see above).
when i clicked that link and went to the helix community forums i saw i need to register so i did that but when i tried to open that link ot try the new producer the forum says:

"Your account does not have the "Project Document - View" permission needed for you to access the page you requested in the distribution project (view your permissions). Either ask the project administrator for more permission, or log in using a different account."

so what do i need to see and dl that new build,isit avaiable from another place ;what can i do now ?

i am very interested in rv since rv8 and i see many improvements in 9,so i hardly want to try that new feature...
Old 14th June 2003, 01:46   #62  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Use the search button. It's boring always answering the same question you know...
Old 14th June 2003, 02:04   #63  |  Link
Dark-Cracker

@traragorn
u must first go in the licence agreement page and accepte all the tree licence once it will do your account will be unlocked for the download

Ps: avoid to post some msg in this thread who doesn't have a *direct* relation with the thread

@sirber
damn u are very nervous

Ps2: it's useless to answer this post i think it will be better to keep this thread clean.

Bye.

AutoDub v1.8 : Divx3/4/5 & Xvid Video codec and .OGG/.MP3/.AC3/.WMA audio codec.
AutoRV10 v1.0 : Use RealVideo 10 Codec and support 2 Audio Streams and Subtitles.

Dark-Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 08:46   #64  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

Dark-Cracker, Sirber is not nervous (well, maybe sometimes, but not in this case). it IS a question you could have answered by yourself if you didn't post here right away. ppl on this forum need to think, or stay out. asking questions is fine AFTER you tried to solve the issue by yourself. otherwise, the board get cluttered with irrelevant stuff, and it makes the moderator's job harder. there's already a massive inclease in posts/day during the last month, so the least that ppl can do is TRY to solve their issues before asking on the forum.

case closed. please don't respond on this issue anymore.

cheers
avih
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 11:59   #65  |  Link
traragorn

thanks for your patience and thanks for answering my question ; i didn't meant to make trouble , sorry ...

sorry ...
Old 14th June 2003, 14:28   #66  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

Quote:
Originally posted by traragorn
thanks for your patience and thanks for answering my question ; i didn't meant to make trouble , sorry ...

sorry ...
forgiven
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 14:50   #67  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

What software is EHQ powered (whitout the reg key) ?

[edit]

RMFactory is, but what about x2real and AutoRV9 ?
Old 14th June 2003, 19:09   #68  |  Link
karl_lillevold

@traragorn: i really should remember to inform about the license and binary EULA when I post a link to Helix Community for download. It is not entirely clear these steps are needed to get download access.

@Sirber: AutoRV9 as well.

I have significantly edited the first post in this thread to include some of the very good feedback that has been posted. I have also included the information above re download access and tools with RV9-EHQ support.

Later today or tomorrow I will post some results I found when creating demos for this mode, and one nice screenshot showing improved visual quality at 30% lower bitrate.
Old 14th June 2003, 23:47   #69  |  Link
wing1

EHQ for RV9 is awesome for quality at low bitrate. However, it is extremely slow: I am encoding at 4.5fps using a 2100+ (1.85Ghz) AMDxp!

The trade off is I got sharp detail video (656x464 NTSC) for 1/2 the filesize (1min=4Mb) that I would have gotten if encoded normally (8.2Mb). 1hr of vid = approximately 6hrs of encoding time! This brought back the memories of good ole days when it took 20hrs+ to encode a decent VCD on a P2 or K6

I need to upgrade my CPU -> 10Ghz+

Thanks Karl for the EHQ mode...I luv it.
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 00:57   #70  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Glad you like the quality, sorry it has to take so long -- a lot of calculations to be made.

By the way, on a P4 3.06 GHz as provided by Intel, I have about 12-14 fps at 704x288 in EHQ mode. So I am afraid an AMD 2100+ is not really equivalent to 2.1 GHz for RV9 encoding, but more like its true clock speed 1.85 GHz.

Having had 3DNow(+) support would probably have sped it up by around 20% on your system, the same amount that SSE2 helps for P4, relative to plain SSE/MMX. One reason we are slightly biased towards Intel processors is admittedly the hundreds of hours of optimization help Intel has done for us, in fact way back since RV G2, incl RV8, and RV9. They have also provided development systems free of charge, and in fact I don't think we have more than one AMD based system in the codec group right now.
Old 15th June 2003, 01:24   #71  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

I understand why Real always show "Uses Intel optimizers" . I might buy one some day... to have 35% more speed
Old 15th June 2003, 05:51   #72  |  Link
DaWolf
RV9 Fan

Lol, in PC Hardware I was asking about people's experiences with a low-end processor but I think I'll invest in a P4 system and hand my current Celereon to the kids instead. I'd love to get Karl's speed and there's no way I'm going back to EHQ 65 If I'll do it will be too quickly get something out - but the fun is that with RV9 even that quick EHQ 65 encode is high quality.

Ruud
Old 15th June 2003, 06:40   #73  |  Link
wing1

no problem Karl, speed is not as important as quality. I can live with 4.5fps. I can always do the over-night encoding from the VCD dayz. If performance reduces to 0.15fps then I'll think about switching over to Intel
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 07:47   #74  |  Link
Sgt_Strider

Just wondering is this EHQ mode in beta right now or is everything final? Also is this part of the rv9 specification?
Sgt_Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 08:03   #75  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Since I did not change the bitstream, it is still part of the RV9 spec, so every RV9 decoder out there will be able to decode RV9-EHQ. This also means that I may still add some tweaks to further improve the quality, and/or speed, but I have spent enough time on it to realize it's pretty stable now. Hard to call it "final" though, but definitely final enough to recommend for general use..
Old 15th June 2003, 09:58   #76  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by DaWolf
Lol, in PC Hardware I was asking about people's experiences with a low-end processor but I think I'll invest in a P4 system and hand my current Celereon to the kids instead. [...]
As far as playback, I found that on a P3 500 (my one of my friends computers), at 450kpbs, playback of RMVB/EHQ files is fine. As far as encoding, @ 500 mhz, it would be slow
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 12:03   #77  |  Link
slavickas
I'm Shpongled

i have 2 more q:
is fixed quality 2nd pass useful?
registry keys are read during encoding startup or producer startup?
if i change complexity values in egistry do i have to restart encoder?
slavickas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 12:03   #78  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
Since I did not change the bitstream, it is still part of the RV9 spec, so every RV9 decoder out there will be able to decode RV9-EHQ. This also means that I may still add some tweaks to further improve the quality, and/or speed, but I have spent enough time on it to realize it's pretty stable now. Hard to call it "final" though, but definitely final enough to recommend for general use..
Speed is not any where as important as quality. Considering it only slows down encoding speed but NOT decoding speed. Unlike H.264.........

Therefore i am suggesting Karl do more tweaks to further improve quality. ( EHQ 100 ?? )

After Helix Producer 9.2 gone final. The next big thing might be RealONE 3.0 or a DDShow playback filter b4 RV9 truly rules over the world.
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 12:30   #79  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by iwod
... or a DDShow playback filter b4 RV9 truly rules over the world.
yep

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 21:07   #80  |  Link
Ramirez

Hi Karl, can you please tell us a little bit more about "noisyEdgeFilter"?
Should we deactivate if the video source is high Q noise free material?
Does it affect encoding speed/ level of details preservation?

Thanks!
Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote