Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 16th November 2019, 17:53   #8921  |  Link
some dude

Hi, I'm not sure if this is an issue with MeGUI or x265, but I was wondering why my CPU utilization is so low when encoding to x265? I am using the "very slow" present, this is just the first pass.

some dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2019, 19:35   #8922  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by some dude View Post
Hi, I'm not sure if this is an issue with MeGUI or x265, but I was wondering why my CPU utilization is so low when encoding to x265? I am using the "very slow" present, this is just the first pass.

If you are doing 2 pass encoding then the first pass will always be low. The full encode will be highest utilization. I recommend not encoding with 2 pass via x265 as it's a huge waste of time.

Not that it isn't effective, just CRF can achieve the same quality in 1 pass. Saving you a lot of time.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2019, 21:33   #8923  |  Link
some dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw_4049 View Post
If you are doing 2 pass encoding then the first pass will always be low. The full encode will be highest utilization. I recommend not encoding with 2 pass via x265 as it's a huge waste of time.

Not that it isn't effective, just CRF can achieve the same quality in 1 pass. Saving you a lot of time.

But I'm on my 2nd pass now and the CPU utilization is still around 30%?

Old 16th November 2019, 22:05   #8924  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
But I'm on my 2nd pass now and the CPU utilization is still around 30%?

Not normal. You got something wrong. I can fully saturate 16 threads easily. Mind showing me screen shots of everything?

Old 16th November 2019, 22:30   #8925  |  Link
some dude

Quote:
Not normal. You got something wrong. I can fully saturate 16 threads easily. Mind showing me screen shots of everything?

Do you mean screenshots of my settings? Because this is it. Also here is my avs script. I can post logs and stuff too if you tell me which ones I need to post.

Code:
DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\Anthony\Desktop\Hocus Pocus\Hocus Pocus.d2v", info=3)

ColorMatrix(hints=true, threads=0)

crop(0,62,0,-62)

spline64resize(720,400)
If I use x264 instead my CPU utilization is somewhere in the 70s.

Last edited by some dude; 16th November 2019 at 22:39.
Old 16th November 2019, 23:07   #8926  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Add to your command line
--ctu 16
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2019, 01:07   #8927  |  Link
some dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Add to your command line
--ctu 16
OK so this appears to fix it. I tried encoding the file again and with option added my CPU goes to 100%. I hit cancel after I checked the CPU utilization though, so I didn't test the output file that it produces, but it appears to have fixed the issue.
Old 17th November 2019, 05:48   #8928  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
OK so this appears to fix it. I tried encoding the file again and with option added my CPU goes to 100%. I hit cancel after I checked the CPU utilization though, so I didn't test the output file that it produces, but it appears to have fixed the issue.
Bitrate is really really low.

Old 17th November 2019, 10:52   #8929  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Bitrate is really really low.

IT Has nothing to do with bitrate. Low resolution is a real problem.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 06:29   #8930  |  Link
vasquuez

After adding video job in queue there is also a mux job, any option to disable it? It is added automatically.
vasquuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 18:44   #8931  |  Link
NanoBot

What "file format" did you select on the main tabulator ? If you select mp4 or mkv, an additional mux job has to be added. If you select RAWAVC, then only an encode job will be created.
NanoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 21:33   #8932  |  Link
vasquuez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBot View Post
What "file format" did you select on the main tabulator ? If you select mp4 or mkv, an additional mux job has to be added. If you select RAWAVC, then only an encode job will be created.
I selected mkv. In earlier version of megui -long time ago there was no mux job after adding video in queue, so that's why I'm surprised. So it is needed then? And after this I will make mux of all parts - audio, video and subs?
Old 9th December 2019, 23:37   #8933  |  Link
NanoBot

The encoder will always produce a raw video file first and add this job to the queue. If you select mp4 or mkv as output file format, in a second step the raw video file has to be muxxed into your selected container format and this mux job is automatically added to the queue.

If you prefer to mux video, audio and other track types by yourself, just select RAWAVC and you will get a raw h264 file. After that, you can use your preferred muxxer, e.g. mkvtoolnix, to do the mux job manually.

The same procedure applies if you want to use the h265 encoder, there you have to select RAWHEVC to get a pure h265 file.
NanoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 00:05   #8934  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasquuez View Post
I selected mkv. In earlier version of megui -long time ago there was no mux job after adding video in queue, so that's why I'm surprised. So it is needed then? And after this I will make mux of all parts - audio, video and subs?
For x264 at least, in Options/External Programs, there's a setting labelled "x264: use external muxer for MKV". When it's unchecked and MKV is selected as the File Format, the encoder will write the encoded video directly to an MKV, so there will no longer be an additional muxing job added to the job queue.

I don't think x265 has the ability to write the output directly to a container.

Last edited by hello_hello; 10th December 2019 at 00:12.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 00:50   #8935  |  Link
vasquuez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
For x264 at least, in Options/External Programs, there's a setting labelled "x264: use external muxer for MKV". When it's unchecked and MKV is selected as the File Format, the encoder will write the encoded video directly to an MKV, so there will no longer be an additional muxing job added to the job queue.

I don't think x265 has the ability to write the output directly to a container.
Thank you will check this setting.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:43   #8936  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

The original x265 from Multicoreware only writes raw HEVC; but AFAIR, there are modded versions with additional input/output modules.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2020, 05:44   #8937  |  Link
goldensun87

I recently had to reinstall my OS. I downloaded the latest version of MEGUI, and I installed all the disabled components from the Update list. But still, the file indexer and seemingly nothing else, is working. Currently, I have a source file with VP9 video and OPUS audio, which I had previously remuxed into MKV using ffmpeg. On previous OS installs, I would install individual codecs separately, with programs like Haali Media Splitter, Flash Video Splitter and XVID, but this time, I installed only the K-Lite Codec Mega Pack. Do I have to tweak some settings in K-Lite Codec? Or, should I install those individual programs like I used to? Because before the OS reinstall, I was able to work with VP9 and Opus flawlessly.

Update: Initially, I thought something got messed up because I was working with my internet off, and I keep forgetting that most of MeGUI's tools are downloaded from the MeGUI server upon first use of respective tool. So, I deleted the whole program, and started over with a fresh download. This time, made sure to download all tools BEFORE attempting an encode. But, when I finally attempt to encode my file, it still doesn't work. At this moment, a thought occurs to me. I switched to Maori keyboard so that I can type vowels with macron, and my file's name has those characters in it. So, I removed those characters, and VOILA! Encode worked like a charm!

I honestly am surprised that a factor as minor as special characters in a filename, can prevent the program from working. I'll have to try and remember this for future reference.

https://electronics-emended.business.site/

Last edited by goldensun87; 2nd January 2020 at 23:26.
goldensun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 19:27   #8938  |  Link
2-perf

I wish MeGUI could encode to PCM file. I have this .wav file which is from a PAL VHS and would like to do a Time Modification -> Slow-down (25 to 24) while keeping it as a .wav file in order to work with it in DaVinci Resolve afterwards.
2-perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 20:49   #8939  |  Link
2-perf

Encoding a 16-bit .wav file to .flac with a Time Modification results in a 24-bit .flac file. When no Time Modification applied, the result is a 16-bit flac.
2-perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 21:47   #8940  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Add to your command line
--ctu 16
If I understand this correctly, x265 uses smaller blocks so more rows of the actual frame can be used for parallel processing.

Will this have any significant impact on quality/efficiency?

If not, I don't understand why x265 doesn't do this by default for smaller resolutions like 1080p and below?
LeXXuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megui