Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 30th October 2011, 18:53   #6621  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Chroma subsampling means that you will probably get blurred borders and slight chroma errors on the borders.
I've never seen that as a significant problem. The majority of subtitles are just black and white anyway, and the rest you couldn't care if they had pristine chroma as it's not something you'd notice during playback with font-based subtitle (madVR does a good job upsampling anyway). Now if you only care about image-based DVD/Blu-ray subtitles, then yes, rendering in RGB can make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The problem is that you need to do chroma upsampling in order to get YUV 4:4:4 or RGB, which costs CPU performance, especially if you want more than just Bilinear upsampling.
That is the problem, which is why it's nice that madVR does the chroma upsampling to 4:4:4 on the GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
IMHO the best subtitle logic would be to have the subtitle renderer render to an RGB texture with an alpha channel (totally separate from the video image) and ask the renderer to blend it over the video image. That's somewhat similar to what the MPC-HC internal subtitle renderer does. VsFilter could do a similar thing, but custom communication with the renderer would be needed for that.
If your interested in such a interface/interaction between VSFilter and madVR, submit a Feature Request to the xy-VSFilter project. The developer working on it has already re-written large portions of VSFilter and added many new features and speed enhancements (at a very quick pace I might add, since he seems comfortable with the code), so I doubt he'd mind adding a few more useful things. He's been a bit stumped on how to go about adding DXVA support, so he may be open to other options like you're suggesting. Back when he first made the project xy-VSFilter public, he also had expressed interest in eventually working on porting libass, so if you decide to go that route and need another dev it's possible he'd be interested. Speeding up and enhancing VSFilter was just an easier target for the time being.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 30th October 2011 at 19:22.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 19:00   #6622  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Oh, ah, if madvr can cooperate with xy-vafilter to get this done, this would be so awesome... that's sounds too good to be true, I shouldn't be exited too much, should calm myself down... =)
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 19:40   #6623  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
If your interested in such a interface/interaction between VSFilter and madVR, submit a Feature Request to the xy-VSFilter project.
Maybe later. Busy with other stuff right now.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 21:23   #6624  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
xy-VSFilter project.
is there a thread here on doom9?
Old 30th October 2011, 21:32   #6625  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Egorych View Post
Did anyone face a similar problem with the latest nvidia whql 285.62: viewing particular h.264 1080i channel in DVBViewer with LAV CUVID or LAV Video (+CUVID acceleration) causes slow motion effect. After a few seconds DVBViewer resets video playback and its source filter says there was a buffer overflow error. No problem with 285.27 beta or while playing recorded stream from HDD. Cyberlink decoder is OK on both video driver versions. Seems like Nvidia broke CUVID in the release.
I've just noticed the same problem.
I'll try the older drivers and report back later
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 03:46   #6626  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is there a thread here on doom9?
No there isn't. Feel free to make one, but I don't think the dev is currently a member of doom9. GoogleCode seems to work just fine for reporting issues and requesting features, but other than that, there is his email and a small (half-dead) thread on the CCCP Forums where he first made the project public.

Either way, this is getting side-tracked for this thread when all I wanted was working P016 output from LAV Video for testing purposes... Oh well.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 15:22   #6627  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSych0bUNny View Post
Kia Ora nevcairiel,
I have encountered an issue when using any FLV splitter and files from www.tvnz.co.nz/video - obviously as it is an NZ site you may not be able to view media streams.

I access this site thru Media Portal and the OnlineVideos plug-in. I am using hoborg's SAF6 (latest pkg using LAV v0.37), unlocked, and the only files I have issues playing are .flv from above mentioned site.

A sample file is here - http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~pe...VNZ_Sample.flv (24MB)
I just played this sample using LAV-splitter, LAV-video and LAV-audio v0.38RC (link was here posted by nev) and it played just fine !
Try updating your LAV to 0.38RC.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 15:51   #6628  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
I just played this sample using LAV-splitter, LAV-video and LAV-audio v0.38RC (link was here posted by nev) and it played just fine !
Try updating your LAV to 0.38RC.
I can confirm too it's working here.
Old 31st October 2011, 17:13   #6629  |  Link
azaze1

First let me say this issue may not belong in this thread but truth is I do not know where the problem lies. It's either with MPC-HC, LAV, or the decoding.

For a few months now I've noticed that most of my movies (usually 1080p material) have a periodic issue where a 5 second portion of the movie will suddenly become ultra choppy, and then smooth itself out. It'll happen once, maybe twice during a 2.5 hour movie. This is not a case of a dropped frame every so often, it's a full 5 seconds of nearly every other frame being dropped so it almost looks like a cinematic effect.

This didn't used to happen 6 months ago. I do stay on top of the latest nightlies for MPC-HC, LAV Filters, MadVR. I want to say it never happened before I moved to LAV so that's why I'm posting here. I don't think it ever happened when using DXVA either, but I don't believe it's the software decoding because it happens when using MadVR's internal decoders AND LAV Video decoding.

My setup:

Windows 7 32bit
AMD Radeon HD 6450
Catalyst 11.9 drivers
Latest nightly of:
MPC-HC
LAV Filters 0.37
MadVR 0.77
ReClock 1.8.7.7

Has anyone else seen this behavior even once? If not, is there anything I should check that may cause this?
azaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 17:17   #6630  |  Link
SamuriHL

Try the catalyst 11.4 driver and see if the problem goes away. Just a hunch.
Old 31st October 2011, 18:05   #6631  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaze1 View Post
First let me say this issue may not belong in this thread but truth is I do not know where the problem lies. It's either with MPC-HC, LAV, or the decoding.

For a few months now I've noticed that most of my movies (usually 1080p material) have a periodic issue where a 5 second portion of the movie will suddenly become ultra choppy, and then smooth itself out. It'll happen once, maybe twice during a 2.5 hour movie. This is not a case of a dropped frame every so often, it's a full 5 seconds of nearly every other frame being dropped so it almost looks like a cinematic effect.

This didn't used to happen 6 months ago. I do stay on top of the latest nightlies for MPC-HC, LAV Filters, MadVR. I want to say it never happened before I moved to LAV so that's why I'm posting here. I don't think it ever happened when using DXVA either, but I don't believe it's the software decoding because it happens when using MadVR's internal decoders AND LAV Video decoding.

My setup:

Windows 7 32bit
AMD Radeon HD 6450
Catalyst 11.9 drivers
Latest nightly of:
MPC-HC
LAV Filters 0.37
MadVR 0.77
ReClock 1.8.7.7

Has anyone else seen this behavior even once? If not, is there anything I should check that may cause this?
My assumption:
This looks like your GPU downclocks during the movie playback and when there is a fast/panned/high bitrate sequence, the downclocked GPU can not process all frames as required. In about 5 seconds the GPU reacts and comes back to full core/memory clock frequencies. Then the movie is smooth again. Altough 11.10 WHQL have ben released couple of minutes ago, I have tested 11.10 RC3 ( should be the same as WHQL basically or very close ) a couple of days ago by increasing the minimum core/memory clock frequencies as I have mentioned in this post.

This post describes how to create such gently overclocked profile for AMD Catalyst.

Madshi has also adviced in one of his posts at madVR thread to keep the GPU clocks as stable as it is possible.

Last edited by Plutotype; 31st October 2011 at 19:28.
Plutotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 19:47   #6632  |  Link
dukey

Would it make sense to integrate the LAV filters into FFdshow (at least the video ones anyway)? That way subtitle rendering, and all the other great filters it has would work .. just nicely.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 19:58   #6633  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey View Post
Would it make sense to integrate the LAV filters into FFdshow (at least the video ones anyway)? That way subtitle rendering, and all the other great filters it has would work .. just nicely.
Better idea would be to write own methods and donīt use the old-dated(?) ones that ffdshow uses... At least deinterlacing, deband, avisynth support (if possible) and subtitles. And for the audio filter new DRC, night mode and mixer... Then it would be fantastic
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:07   #6634  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

IMO it will be nice to see avisynth support in LAV so you can execute any possible script. And other possible things like deband, sharpen, smoothing, whatever is not needed. yes, this will be feature for advanced users... so what? better to have something for advanced users than nothing for everyone (+ normal users will be able to use it too by reading some guide ) Also looking on avisynth support in ffdshow, I don't think its something that hard to use...
Old 31st October 2011, 20:28   #6635  |  Link
dukey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
Better idea would be to write own methods and donīt use the old-dated(?) ones that ffdshow uses... At least deinterlacing, deband, avisynth support (if possible) and subtitles. And for the audio filter new DRC, night mode and mixer... Then it would be fantastic
why re-invent the wheel ? most off the ffdshow is stable and well optimised
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:37   #6636  |  Link
azaze1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
My assumption:
This looks like your GPU downclocks during the movie playback and when there is a fast/panned/high bitrate sequence, the downclocked GPU can not process all frames as required. In about 5 seconds the GPU reacts and comes back to full core/memory clock frequencies. Then the movie is smooth again. Altough 11.10 WHQL have ben released couple of minutes ago, I have tested 11.10 RC3 ( should be the same as WHQL basically or very close ) a couple of days ago by increasing the minimum core/memory clock frequencies as I have mentioned in this post.

This post describes how to create such gently overclocked profile for AMD Catalyst.

Madshi has also adviced in one of his posts at madVR thread to keep the GPU clocks as stable as it is possible.
is the GPU core and memory clock even relevant when decoding in software mode? I'm not using DXVA, and the issue occurs whether I'm using MadVR or EVR-CP.

thx for the tip though, I'll give it a shot either way.
azaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 20:38   #6637  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

But we don't want to make ffdshow's clone isn't it? Also asking for deband or something... I guess its asking to much from Nev! Avisynth is the middle ground here. And, look at deband in ffdshow, its a crap, and broken in 64bits. The best debanding solutions available in avisynth only (my English is poor enough, I don't know synonyms to the word "best"). What else ffdshow can do that avisynth can not at the same or better quality level?
Also look here, lately there is pretty nice openCL avisynth plugins that works blazingly fast. Very good for realtime playback. This is something Nev probably never integrate in LAV itself...

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 31st October 2011 at 20:42.
Old 31st October 2011, 21:03   #6638  |  Link
cegy

how can i force lav splitter to always be the splitter i want to use for mpeg.ts (h.264) as each time i get it sorted a few days later it changes back and then am stuck again (even happens of fresh install of windows 7 x86/x64)
i mainly use lav splitter to help with encoding speed from record tv shows via dss as i get a faster fps then using dgnv :/

p.s. doesn't matter what version of lav filter i use
cegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 22:36   #6639  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
PS:
Painting subtitles on a 4:2:0 image is still a bad idea, you should convert it to RGB before - 10-bit support doesn't change that.
(My thoughts on this topic)

Only if you care about the subtitle rendering quality *a lot*. It could be argued that the subs aren't an original part of the video and thus aren't really needed to be superb with regards to chroma resolution... Personally, I don't care about the subtitle rendering, the current quality of vsfilter (when rendering at video resolution & on yv12) is okay imho. And anyway - people that do care about sharpness of the font rendering either 1) use mpc renderer to draw in fullscreen resolution 2) use software upscaling prior to vsfilter to achieve the same.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 22:46   #6640  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaze1 View Post
is the GPU core and memory clock even relevant when decoding in software mode? I'm not using DXVA, and the issue occurs whether I'm using MadVR or EVR-CP.

thx for the tip though, I'll give it a shot either way.
I also recommend you to create a custom power plan in Windows:

- hard disk - turn off hard disk after: never
- usb selective settings: disabled
- multimedia settings: when playing video: optimize video quality

External drives also use to have proprietary software where standby is defined in minutes or "never".

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter