Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 4th February 2004, 20:10   #41  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

@tluxon

Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
(Toy Story 2 doesn't have any dummy menus and has 2 VOBs with AR menus, which both string the process out a bit
Yes, the R1 version has both of it's widescreen and fullscreen versions with their own menus instead of sharing one. VTS_07_0.VOB is your fullscreen and VTS_08_0.VOB is your widescreen. Since you mentioned that you wanted widescreen, then you should be working with VTS_08_0.IFO.
Old 4th February 2004, 22:22   #42  |  Link
tluxon

This is the first time I've used IFOedit and my very first attempt is on a DVD with duplicate menus in two VTS groups. It LOOKS like the implication here is that I don't even need any of the files in the VTS group of the aspect ratio I don't want to keep. Have I got that right?

For some reason, I went into this expecting that I needed to keep ALL the files and I would be doing something like replacing the files I don't want with "lite" ones of the same name and structure.

Thanks,

Tim
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2004, 22:36   #43  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
This is the first time I've used IFOedit and my very first attempt is on a DVD with duplicate menus in two VTS groups. It LOOKS like the implication here is that I don't even need any of the files in the VTS group of the aspect ratio I don't want to keep. Have I got that right?

For some reason, I went into this expecting that I needed to keep ALL the files and I would be doing something like replacing the files I don't want with "lite" ones of the same name and structure.
To maintain a valid DVD structure with reallocation errors, it was my intention in the guide that the unwanted Titleset in question would be replaced with blanks instead of just deleting them.

Last edited by 2COOL; 5th February 2004 at 09:10.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2004, 01:23   #44  |  Link
geffroman

Re: @2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by geffroman
THANKS AGAIN FOR THIS GREAT GUIDE...

Now that I can make the settings without the guide it takes less than 2 minutes to bypass the Aspect Menu on these multi Cell Menu VOB-IDs.

So far I have used this guide for: (Region 1)

Cherish
(more complicated - no blank Cell IDs, but guide still walks you through it using downloadable DONOR Cell IDs)
Eight Crazy Nights
Freaky Friday
Gigli
GO
I Capture the Castle
Pieces of April
Secondhand Lions
Stuart Little 2

Storytelling
(this one has 4 movie versions on the aspect ratio menu but it can't beat the GUIDE - Success again!)
The Five Senses
The Medallion

All done in a minute or two and all working flawlessly.

Regards... Jeff

Recent additions in red
I just wanted to add that even though this guide might look a lttle scary it IS NOT. 2CL just gives you SO MUCH detail to help you STEP BY STEP that it looks like a lot on the surface. Once you do a couple of these you almost don't need the guide. It is truly a few steps and less than 2 minutes of actual hands on to make your DVD-R act as if there never was an aspect menu.

Last edited by geffroman; 10th March 2004 at 00:36.
geffroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2004, 14:37   #45  |  Link
2COOL

@all

Quote:
I just wanted to add that even though this guide might look a lttle scary it IS NOT. 2CL just gives you SO MUCH detail to help you STEP BY STEP that it looks like a lot on the surface.
It has been personally brought to my attention in the past that some of my guides initially look intimidating, especially to newbies who have never used IfoEdit before. In the beginning when I started writing cheat sheets, I just gave the actions without any explanations and there were alot of inquiring minds asking on the WHYs of a certain step. That's why I started adding more detailed informative bits in hoping to educate people in a way that I could translate the very technical steps into something simpler and understandable. Of course, the more I wrote, the longer my guide became and the longer it became, the more it looked intimidating. Most people tend to quickly scan the whole guide at first and then draw their first impressions. I could've easily simplified my steps by just saying rip, edit, save, and burn in less than 100 words. By doing this though, I have been critisized in the past that I'm not allowing the person to fully learn the "whys" and that I'm just "spoon feeding" the lazy bums. For people writing guides, there's always that decision on how much details to include and it's hard to come to a clean compromise. If I wrote too little, I'll get to write more reply posts on detailed explanations and if I wrote too much, then I'll get more posts complaining about their IfoEditphobia.

I don't know about alot of you guys but I'm a "why" person. When I press a button, I want to know what happens and why it happens. That's why a "guide" is called a guide. I want to guide you, not scare you but the decision is up to you. Just like in the movie, The Matrix...either you take the blue pill or you take the red pill.

Last edited by 2COOL; 11th March 2004 at 20:36.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2004, 15:25   #46  |  Link
tluxon

@2COOL

I, for one, really appreciate that you took the wordy approach. Believe it or not, it was my first look inside an IFO file and I had never read as much as an introduction to what was in one. Sure, it looked like a little more than it really is, but most things do when they're complete with explanations. I suppose you could have referenced a more detailed IFO explanation guide (if there is one) and provided a much leaner guide yourself, but by putting it all in one place you made it easier to ingest/digest only the parts most pertinent to your guide.

I'm hoping tonight I'll be able to pick up where I left off on Monday.

Thanks!

Tim
Old 5th February 2004, 16:47   #47  |  Link
geffroman

@2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
@all

It has been personally brought to my attention in the past that some of my guides initially look intimidating, especially to newbies who have never used IfoEdit before.
I hope you know my post was a compliment... and an attempt to suggest to others that if they just take a few minutes to read the guide they will see how simple and easy you make the process...

Thanks again for all that you do for us... Jeff
Old 5th February 2004, 19:50   #48  |  Link
2COOL

Re: @2COOL

Quote:
I hope you know my post was a compliment... and an attempt to suggest to others that if they just take a few minutes to read the guide they will see how simple and easy you make the process...
Of course! I was just piggybacking on your quote and adding my thoughts.
Old 5th February 2004, 22:57   #49  |  Link
geffroman

Re: Re: @2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
Of course! I was just piggybacking on your quote and adding my thoughts.
Whew... I was worried you thought I was being critical instead of complimentary... Thanks...
Old 9th February 2004, 17:29   #50  |  Link
2COOL

@tluxon

Quote:
I'm hoping tonight I'll be able to pick up where I left off on Monday.
Any luck?
Old 9th February 2004, 19:22   #51  |  Link
tluxon

@2COOL,

Unfortunately, our family is in the midst of upsizing our RV and we've spent almost ALL our spare time these last several days researching models and attending the Seattle Winter RV show. I will definitely lock down some time to continue tonight.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 9th February 2004, 20:10   #52  |  Link
2COOL

No problem. Just wanted to see a conclusion to your project.
Old 13th February 2004, 11:40   #53  |  Link
DMagic1

Nice guide 2Cool. Wish I saw it about 3 hours sooner. I just tested it with Second Hand Lions. Im a registered MenuEdit user and I used the blank_exe. Worked like a charm.

I have one question. Is the last fake stripping with IFOEdit really needed? I asume its done for a good reason, but is it really need for the movie to work properly? I test played my movie before I did the last fake strip and it work fine before the last fake strip and after it. I saw no difference. So can you explain a little about what could happen if the last one isn't done.

Last edited by DMagic1; 13th February 2004 at 11:43.
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2004, 20:49   #54  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by DMagic1
Nice guide 2Cool. Worked like a charm.
Thanks!
Quote:
I have one question. Is the last fake stripping with IFOEdit really needed? I asume its done for a good reason, but is it really need for the movie to work properly? I test played my movie before I did the last fake strip and it work fine before the last fake strip and after it. I saw no difference. So can you explain a little about what could happen if the last one isn't done.
I'm assuming you are referring to step 25k. If so, MenuEdit can replace the cell but it doesn't update the IFO. Perhaps in your case the size of your menu equaled the size of your blank. Anyways, it's also documented here.
Old 8th March 2004, 20:17   #55  |  Link
196joey58

widescreen selection AFTER the play movie menu

please help...how do you automaticaly change the default of which aspect ratio format is being played when the "play movie" button is selected?. i ripped out the fullscreen so only the widescreen is present and the default choice is fullscreen which isn't present.... so the only way it will work is if i setup the DVD first by selecting the widescreen format and then going back to the main menu and playing the movie. if i hit play movie before i change to widescreen the movie just hangs

the movie is for my daughter "barbie as rapunzel"
Old 8th March 2004, 20:24   #56  |  Link
2COOL

@196joey58

Welcome to the forum!

Though you already did step 32, go ahead and give this guide a go. I've had a lot of newbies come up with success.
Old 8th March 2004, 21:47   #57  |  Link
196joey58

please help 2 cool

i am honoured that YOU responded to my reply, your guides are excellent..thank you. BUT you did not include the link for you guide with my problem, the guide i posted in is good for aspect ratio menus BEFORE the play movie screen (i used it for stuart little 2)...

but my issue is AFTER the play menu screen... it has to selected and then back to the play menu screen. this would be the same for "audio" selection. i need to change the DEFAULT movie format from FULLSCREEN to WIDESCREEN because if i hit "play movie" the intro loops back because the default format (fullscreen) has been ripped OUT !!!!, i want the "play movie" buttom to play the only format present ....the WIDESCREEN version.

thanks 2cool

JOE
Old 9th March 2004, 02:15   #58  |  Link
DMagic1

Just follow the guide to the letter.

I've never seen a movie with both versions have a default version to play. They normally make you pick.

What movie is it your working on?
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2004, 05:19   #59  |  Link
196joey58

the movie is barbie as rapunzel (it is for my daughter) and yes i am playing back the "DVD files" on my PC as a test before i actually burn the disc. i use POWER DVD and yes the "keep aspect ratio" button is selected

the dvd boots up the the main menu that offers two buttons "movie" and "games", after i select "movie" another menu pops up that has 3 buttons "play movie" "chapters" "dvd set up".

on the original dvd if i just hit "play movie" without going first to "dvd set up" the FULLSCREEN movie is played by default. howevere if i first "set up dvd" and select widescreen in this menu than of course i must go back to the "play movie" menu and then the WIDESCREEN format plays

if i do select the same "play movie" on the ripped dvd (absent of a FULLSCREEN format) the screen remains black (no corresponding default format ... and if i pre-select widescreen than the only format present (widescreen) will play as expected

this jumping to the "dvd set up" menu and back to the "play movie" menu is the procedure i want to ELIMINATE. i want to boot the dvd and selct "movie" and than "play movie" and i want my widescreen to play by DEFAULT. my 5 year old daughter will never understand all this.... not to mention my 32 year old wife (if you know what i mean)

JOE
Old 9th March 2004, 05:22   #60  |  Link
196joey58

i used this great guide for stuart liitle 2 and the aspect ratio menu was at the START of the dvd boot up and it worked fine. i then used this guide with barbie as rapunzel with aspect ratio selection AFTER the "play" button and had NO success

JOE