Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 3rd July 2020, 17:41   #1  |  Link
carlosrodriguez

Problems with FDK_AAC and ffmpeg

Hello everybody

I am using ffmpeg and its console commands to convert different audio streams (FLAC) of matroska video files to AAC. I have read that the built in AAC coder isn't the best and that I should use the FDK AAC coder.

I tried this following programm and tried to follow the instructions to build my own ffmpeg with FDK AAC enabled. media-autobuild_suite
Link to program: https://github.com/m-ab-s/media-autobuild_suite

To be sure I pretty much put everything to "build/create" during the process. Now I have all the exe's (like fdkaac.exe) in the /local64/bin-audio folder. I don't know what I have to do now unfortunately. I was of the impression that I get a new ffmpeg.exe which I can use in my CMD window.

As of now I just downloaded the standard ffmpeg and use that ffmpeg.exe for all my conversions. What do I do now with all those created files from media-autobild_suite? Where do I have to put them?
My end goal is that I can run ffmpeg commands from my console and use the FDK AAC coder to convert audio streams.

Can anybody help me with that? Unfortunately the tutorial on the mabs site only goes as far as to when you created your EXEs.
I am totally lost
carlosrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 00:44   #2  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosrodriguez View Post
Hello everybody

I am using ffmpeg and its console commands to convert different audio streams (FLAC) of matroska video files to AAC. I have read that the built in AAC coder isn't the best and that I should use the FDK AAC coder.

I tried this following programm and tried to follow the instructions to build my own ffmpeg with FDK AAC enabled. media-autobuild_suite
Link to program: https://github.com/m-ab-s/media-autobuild_suite

To be sure I pretty much put everything to "build/create" during the process. Now I have all the exe's (like fdkaac.exe) in the /local64/bin-audio folder. I don't know what I have to do now unfortunately. I was of the impression that I get a new ffmpeg.exe which I can use in my CMD window.

As of now I just downloaded the standard ffmpeg and use that ffmpeg.exe for all my conversions. What do I do now with all those created files from media-autobild_suite? Where do I have to put them?
My end goal is that I can run ffmpeg commands from my console and use the FDK AAC coder to convert audio streams.

Can anybody help me with that? Unfortunately the tutorial on the mabs site only goes as far as to when you created your EXEs.
I am totally lost

The FFMPEG.exe that was created has "ALL" of those included. You just selected YES for it to create seperate binaries that some programs like StaxRip uses.

You should be able to run FDK_AAC with your new version of FFMPEG.
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 07:54   #3  |  Link
carlosrodriguez

The problem is, it didn't build an ffmpeg.exe. Is it possible to choose something wrong in mabs and skip the step to build the ffmpeg.exe?
Old 9th July 2020, 09:45   #4  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosrodriguez View Post
The problem is, it didn't build an ffmpeg.exe. Is it possible to choose something wrong in mabs and skip the step to build the ffmpeg.exe?
The tool has been broken for a while. I've been trying to use it to build a version of ffmpeg with fdk to test and add it as optional codec for my app but I can't get the tool to build it either.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 9th July 2020, 10:19   #5  |  Link
tebasuna51

Maybe ffmpeg stop support FDK_AAC because the internal AAC encoder have some improvements and is comparable to FDK?

BTW if you want the best AAC encoder (at least at low bitrates) you can use qaac based on iTunes/QuickTime libs (the Fhg encoder is based in Fraunhofer libs like FDK).
Old 9th July 2020, 15:41   #6  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Maybe ffmpeg stop support FDK_AAC because the internal AAC encoder have some improvements and is comparable to FDK?
No, this is not true. See here:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AAC

The Zeranoe builds were always compiled without libfdk support just for licensing reasons. There are current binaries with libfdk support available from Sherpya
https://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer/

and from Reino (32-bit only, works under WinXP)
https://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffmpeg/?C=M;O=D
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 21:03   #7  |  Link
tebasuna51

@manolito
Mi question, I don't know if is true or false, is for ffmpeg developers, because the document you link is too old (Last modified 16 months ago), is know than ffmpeg docs aren't updated frequently, and I see other documents than say than the internal AAC encoder was improved.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 9th July 2020 at 21:22.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 21:05   #8  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
@manolito
Mi question, I don't know if is true or false, is for ffmpeg developers, because the document you link is too old (is know than ffmpeg docs aren't updated frequently), and I see other documents than say than the internal AAC encoder was improved.
Last I read the internal aac from ffmpeg is almost as good as FDK_AAC.

I've been trying to use the auto builder to build ffmpeg with it but so far the auto builder isn't working.

I am able to use ffmpeg to pipe to a fdkaac.exe and I am able to build that myself.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 10th July 2020, 13:41   #9  |  Link
carlosrodriguez

Thanks for all the replies. I will take a look at these posted links and see what I can do with them.
If all else fails and you guys say that the included AAC encoder is almsot as good as FDK now then I suppose that is sufficient. (For me anyways, but I am transcoding also for friends and don't know their audio system setups so I wanted to go with the best I could find.)
It was just that I have read everywhere the included AAC encoder isn't good but it seems like that were all outdated information.
Cheers

Last edited by carlosrodriguez; 11th July 2020 at 15:00.