Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 9th July 2011, 08:31   #61  |  Link
kurkosdr

I was hoping that Xvid would have a "two pass constant quantizer" (aka "two pass set quality percentage") mode, but since it doesn't i ll go with two pass target size.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 13:10   #62  |  Link
Jawor
Ex-ter-mi-nate!

The two-pass mode's goal is to reach constant quality at the specified target size and within VBV constraints. Quantizers throughout the movie will be similar (the codec will have to increase them only for sections that otherwise would violate VBV constraints).

Archive of my Xvid builds

http://www.videoaudio.pl
Jawor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 16:17   #63  |  Link
kurkosdr

Looks like youtube beat us: I found this and it's quite useful (just set the bitrate to 4000)
Old 12th July 2011, 16:33   #64  |  Link
Jawor
Ex-ter-mi-nate!

Selecting the appropriate profile in Xvid's VfW GUI will enforce VBV restrictions just as well, but much faster Sure, the capability of using user-specified VBV values can be handy sometimes (that's why I included it the VfW GUI of my Xvid builds), but usually that's too much hassle (almost all built-in profiles use VBV values from “DivX Home Theater” anyway)...

Archive of my Xvid builds

http://www.videoaudio.pl

Last edited by Jawor; 12th July 2011 at 16:54.
Jawor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 06:59   #65  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Given the relative low cost of todays "high-def" capable network media players along with their ability to play just about any audio, video and container format.
If only! The WDTV Live e.g. has several subtitle bugs (like PGS in m2ts but not in mkv, trasparent outline, etc.) and does not support all losless audio formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
It's like MS-DOS vs. DR-DOS, or Netscape vs. IExplorer.
As already said it's not like that at all. M$ used asshole underhand tactics to deliberately cripple a competitor's product and got convicted for it (not that it helped those competitiors). Divx seems to have more ethical standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
Now, can we get back on topic of how to produce divx compatible encodes using non -Divx Inc programs?
So were Staxrip and Handbrake already tested in that regard?

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 09:21   #66  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetwood View Post
If only! The WDTV Live e.g. has several subtitle bugs (like PGS in m2ts but not in mkv, trasparent outline, etc.) and does not support all losless audio formats.
You're moving the goal posts quite a bit wider now... You don't get support for these with a "disc spinning" DivX compatible stand-alone either!

EDIT: Sufficed to say, as with any hardware playback device, it's up-to the end-user to generate encodes that will play in-accordance with the hardware players specification.

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 13th July 2011 at 09:30.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 04:48   #67  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Looks like youtube beat us: I found this and it's quite useful (just set the bitrate to 4000)
I can't speak for every XviD build but the version which comes with AutoGK automatically provides the appropriate VBV values according to the profile you select and doesn't seem to let you change them anyway.
The main difference I can see between following the video's instructions and encoding with AutoGK is you're selecting the target bitrate rather than the target file size, but it's still 2 pass encoding only you're guessing as to what the quality will be.

The video suggests using Average Bitrate 2 Pass encoding while setting the bitrate to 1500 or 2000. Is that really any different to 2 pass encoding while selecting the file size except you're selecting it in a different way? Seems to me like it's a method which also predetermines the quality, while potentially wasting a lot of bits or reducing the quality through restricting it too much.

I've got a bunch of AVIs on my hard drive waiting to be burned. The largest has a bitrate of around 1800 while the smallest has a bitrate of 730, yet they were both encoded to the same quality setting (AutoGK's 75%).

One thing I've never understood is how AutoGK determines the quality after running a compression test or after it's run the first pass. I gather 75% = Q2.7 but I don't know how the quality is determined. I assume the info is obtained from XviD's first pass log, I just don't know how.
Likewise I've never understood why AutoGK is the only GUI I've ever come across which supplies that info. Why is it not standard for a GUI to run a first pass according to your settings then tell you what the quality will be? I guess the same question would apply to x264 encoding as well.

Thinking about it a bit more (and sorry for wandering off topic a bit) why is it not possible to run a 2 pass encode at a selected quality rather than file size or bitrate?
It's my understanding XviD runs it's first pass using Q2 and then adjusts the bitrate etc for the second pass according to the selected file size. If that's correct, why can't it also make adjustments to achieve a selected quality?
I understand as a general rule it'd probably be pointless (might as well just run a single pass encode at a selected quality) but when it comes to VBV control you're forced to run 2 passes, so being able to do so while simply selecting the final quality rather than guessing at a file size would be nice.
Or even the ability to manually calculate the desired quality/file size based on the stats from the first pass, then use the calculated file size for the second pass to achieve the desired quality. Is that possible?

Last edited by hello_hello; 14th July 2011 at 05:32.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 16:21   #68  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
So were Staxrip and Handbrake already tested in that regard?
Handbrake dropped avi support in their latest versions for no good reason whatsoever (or according to the maintainer's "because avi support makes the code too complicated"). And they explicitly stated it's not coming back. Should I try version 0.9.4 from oldversion.com?

I will try staxrip.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 15th July 2011 at 16:23.
Old 15th July 2011, 19:19   #69  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Handbrake dropped avi support in their latest versions for no good reason whatsoever (or according to the maintainer's "because avi support makes the code too complicated"). And they explicitly stated it's not coming back. Should I try version 0.9.4 from oldversion.com?

I will try staxrip.
You would have to go back to Handbrake 0.9.3 to get avi support back...
And AFAIK the developers stated some more reasons why they dropped avi support for good (the avi format is generally deprecated, their avi muxer was buggy and did not support large avi files and so on...)

But Staxrip is a really good alternatve IMO. First of all you have the choice between XviD and DivX. It comes with templates for both codecs, but you would have to tweak these templates a little (e.g. it defaults to MP3 VBR for audio which is problematic). I also found that it is no problem to use a different version of XviD instead of the version which comes with Staxrip (I prefer Celtic Druid's compiles over Koepi's).

Plus it automates your encodes in terms of cropping and optionally resizing for square pixels. You also can choose between different resizers and deinterlacers. And what I like most is that unlike many competitors it includes all the helper software, no chasing the net to download and install all the needed helper apps. (In the case of Nero AAC I am not so sure how legal it is to include it, but it certainly made my life a little easier.) Too bad that right now it looks like it is not maintained any more...

Another option would be DivXAuthor from the DivX company itself. Right now they offer a 50% discount on all their software, which means that I can buy it for 8 EUR here in Germany.

This app really originates from TMPGEnc DVD Author. It authors DivX Ultra compatible files (supports menues, chapters and anamorphic), but you can of course turn these features off and specify square pixels. It has not been updated since 2007, so the encoder is a little out of date. But it basically does what it is supposed to do, and at least for me it has always produced files which play on every standalone I have access to.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 15th July 2011 at 20:56.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 13:43   #70  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Since DivX Networks (now DivX inc) licences the divx use, format and logo for standalones, it's no wonder their encodes work the best on them.
Nah, I don't think the reason non-Divx Inc tools produce excessive bitrate spikes is because of lack of documentation (the bitrates and settings to make a Divx-compatible avi file are well known). More like lack of interest by Xvid. Most non-Divx Inc tools use Xvid, which can't stay within the required bitrates in one pass mode (only in two pass mode), and most tools just use the one pass mode (faster) and just don't care about the bitrate spikes. I now switched to Avidemux, with Xvid as the codec, with "Average bitrate (two pass)" set accordingly (see video above).
I use Divx Plus Converter only for fast encodings when I don't care about the quality of a particular video file.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 5th May 2012 at 16:06.
Old 5th May 2012, 16:05   #71  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
I can't speak for every XviD build but the version which comes with AutoGK automatically provides the appropriate VBV values according to the profile you select and doesn't seem to let you change them anyway. The main d
Then why AutoGK throws a warning that some standalone compatibility options will be ignored if you set it to "target quality"? If it's not the bitrate, which compatibility options are ignored?

Also, if AutoGK's "target quality" mode uses Xvid's constast quantizer (one pass), how can Xvid keep within the required bitrates? (Xvid can't do that in one pass modes, it doesn't even have VBV options for one pass mode)
Old 6th May 2012, 07:08   #72  |  Link
Chetwood

AutoGK uses a non-standard matrix when standalone compatibilty isn't checked.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 16:20   #73  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
AutoGK uses a non-standard matrix when standalone compatibilty isn't checked.
This is not the problem. The problem is that if I set the standalone compatibility to ESS (or MTK, i prefer ESS), and then set it to "target quality", and before i even set the target quality, AutoGK throws a message that some standalone compatibility options will be ignored. No mention what those options are, but if "target quality" is indeed using Xvid's "constant quantizer" mode (one pass), I smell it's the bitrate limits that are ignored.
Old 6th May 2012, 18:03   #74  |  Link
nixo

You'd be right. VBV restrictions are ignored in constant quantizer mode – which is what AutoGK uses. This is explicitly stated under 'Level' in the encoder configuration.

If an encode absolutely must play on a standalone, it's either 2 passes or Divx.

--
Nikolaj
nixo is offline   Reply With Quote