Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th September 2019, 19:23   #57401  |  Link
huhn

if madVR uses tensor cores AMD cards simply can't run that filter they are simply unable to do that he has to rewrite the hole shader so it can run much much slower on AMD cards.
and there is nothing to unlock there is no additional hardware.
these cards have 2560 streaming processors and there is nothing wrong with that they are made to render games.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2019, 19:30   #57402  |  Link
SamuriHL

So they didn't add any additional hardware for encoding/decoding? That's a shame. And no, of course they wouldn't be able to take advantage of any tensor core algorithms that may, or may not, get added to madvr. I didn't know if AMD had added something similar in their cards but it would seem the answer to that is a resounding NO. That's definitely a pity.
Old 14th September 2019, 19:38   #57403  |  Link
huhn

they have added new decoder and updated the encoder but nothing any madVR filter or render software will ever care about.
both are not competitive with nvidia or intel but the decoder are good enough(i hope still investigating) and you usually don't need more then what these new cards have to offer for now and it is currently not important if a card can decode 120 fps or only 60 fps both are enough.
Old 14th September 2019, 20:30   #57404  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yea, and we don't even KNOW for sure that the tensor core algorithms will make it down to madvr. And even if they do, is it going to be "soon"? Possibly not. I think you could potentially get a year or two before it's even relevant. Unless madshi surprises us.
Old 16th September 2019, 05:01   #57405  |  Link
SamuriHL

I finally had to break down and setup profiles. That was a long time coming but now that I've got my RTX 2070 and TV shows are starting to come back, I'll be using madvr to upscale my TiVo recordings. XFinity is not exactly known for their high quality. LOL So things like Walking Dead 720p 3mbps need a fair bit of assistance compared to upscaling a nice 1080p blu-ray (man you should see Revenge of the Sith upscaled on my C8! Very High NGU sharp for luma and high NGU AA for chroma WOA!). But, it also takes quite a bit more processing power to upscale at 60fps than it does at 23.976, especially when going from 720->2160. It's a "bit of a jump" as it were. I'm not able to get to Very High on luma upscaling NGU sharp. I can do High as long as I set chroma down to medium NGU AA. I suspect a 2080ti wouldn't have much issue. Such is life. I knew the 2070 would be a compromise when I bought it but I have no regrets. madvr handles the upscaling very well and cleans that picture up nicely. Bring on my shows.
Old 16th September 2019, 05:27   #57406  |  Link
seiyafan

I am having a lot of presentation glitches with RX 5700, one in every 5-10 seconds, while the rendering time is 20ms and dropped frame is 0, any ideas?
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 05:36   #57407  |  Link
SamuriHL

What do the queues look like?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 16th September 2019, 05:53   #57408  |  Link
seiyafan

They are mostly full.
Decoder: 23-24 / 24
Upload: 17-18 /18
Render: 16-18 /18
Present: 11-12 /12

rendering time: 20 ms
present time: 0.7 ms
Old 16th September 2019, 11:19   #57409  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
I am having a lot of presentation glitches with RX 5700, one in every 5-10 seconds, while the rendering time is 20ms and dropped frame is 0, any ideas?
have you got FSE turned on?
Old 16th September 2019, 12:10   #57410  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
They are mostly full.
Decoder: 23-24 / 24
Upload: 17-18 /18
Render: 16-18 /18
Present: 11-12 /12

rendering time: 20 ms
present time: 0.7 ms
Queues are higher than default. Have you tried the default queues?

QB
Old 16th September 2019, 12:14   #57411  |  Link
el Filou

0.7 ms present time sounds like a lot. On both my systems in FSW (present queue 4) it's 0.12
Old 16th September 2019, 12:42   #57412  |  Link
SamuriHL

I concur... try lowering the queue sizes back to default and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 16th September 2019, 20:09   #57413  |  Link
seiyafan

I lowered the queues back to 12/8/8, for rendering if I use anything lower than 12 there is no presentation glitch but present time would increase from 0.7 ms to 18 ms, after a while the present queue cannot fill up in time and would cause frame drop.
Old 18th September 2019, 02:29   #57414  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yea, and we don't even KNOW for sure that the tensor core algorithms will make it down to madvr. And even if they do, is it going to be "soon"? Possibly not. I think you could potentially get a year or two before it's even relevant. Unless madshi surprises us.

If you buy the Horse before the cart, By the time the Cart becomes available, The Horse is past its prime, has a limp, and is about to die.

WAIT for the cart, THEN buy the Horse, idealy On -Black Friday-

I learned this after getting pulled into the whole DX11 ready GPU debacle.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:21   #57415  |  Link
SamuriHL

I didn't buy any horse before the cart. I had a 1060 when I upgraded my machine and it wasn't powerful enough for my use case. I upgraded to the 2070 and absolutely love the card. (I do game occasionally when time permits, as well). And now I can crank the options I want to crank to get the picture quality I'm looking for. If tensor core support comes to madvr while I own this card, that's a bonus. If it doesn't, I have the raw power I need for the quality I'm looking for.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:38   #57416  |  Link
ryrynz

You NEED the horse before the cart when it comes to any hardware implementation through software, that's how the process works and how it needs to work.
It's a lot easier to work with hardware that actually exists.

Funny how when RTX came out people many were mocking the ray tracing and now after a few good implementations of the it and some incredible examples on youtube it's now obviously "the future"
Some people just have zero foresight and no belief in the possibility of anything not only shown the benefits of but described in detail by professionals and it's astounding to me.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 04:16   #57417  |  Link
SamuriHL

I agree to a point. But nVidia didn't launch it in the best possible light, either. Hardware wise it's fantastic if not a tad pricey. What they needed _AT LAUNCH_ was a killer demo of the tech and they didn't really deliver that aspect. I get it, hardware needs to come first, but, they had the hardware in house. They could have done what console mfg's do and partner with someone, anyone, to have a launch day killer demo. Anyway, we're long past that point, the hardware is solid, we're starting to see what the thing can really do, and I'm absolutely on edge waiting to see what this tech is going to deliver in madshi's capable hands. Tensor core AI algorithms should be pretty fun. BUT, that's making an assumption that isn't a guarantee at all....that we get them in either the free madvr or the pro madvr. So far, that's unknown. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with my RTX card....even as it stands today.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:25   #57418  |  Link
fourbigkids

Blank screen during video playback

Hi all.

I am running MPC-BE v.1.5.3 with madvr 127.0.0.1 on a Windows 10 HTPC with an Nvidia RTX 2060. The video is fed via HDMI to a pre-pro and then to a Sony TV XBR85X850F. It is also fed via a DsplayPort - HDMI adapter straight to the Display. I have madvr setup to open full screen and to change the refresh rate of the TV to match the video file.

All is working as expected on the HDMI - Pre-pro - display leg. However, with the adapter - display leg, while the desktop of my HTPC is visible, when I play a video file (irrespective of the file type) with MPC-BE, I get audio but no video on the display. Just a blank screen. The DisplayPort-HDMI adapter doesn't seem to be the problem as the same video plays and is visible using PowerDVD and MS Media Player on the adapter-display leg, just not MPC-BE and MadVR.

I have reinstalled both MPC-BE and Madvr and imported the last previously known working settings, but no luck.

Appreciate any pointers.

********* edit: madvr v0.92.17 :-)

***Issue resolved with another active 4K DisplayPort - HDMI adapter. I tried 4 and two worked. Oddly, vlc worked with all 4 adapters.

Cheers,

Allan

Last edited by fourbigkids; 29th September 2019 at 06:49.
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 05:37   #57419  |  Link
elraffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbigkids View Post
Hi all.

I am running MPC-BE v.1.5.3 with madvr 127.0.0.1 on a Windows 10 HTPC with an Nvidia RTX 2060. The video is fed via HDMI to a pre-pro and then to a Sony TV XBR85X850F. It is also fed via a DsplayPort - HDMI adapter straight to the Display. I have madvr setup to open full screen and to change the refresh rate of the TV to match the video file.

All is working as expected on the HDMI - Pre-pro - display leg. However, with the adapter - display leg, while the desktop of my HTPC is visible, when I play a video file (irrespective of the file type) with MPC-BE, I get audio but no video on the display. Just a blank screen. The DisplayPort-HDMI adapter doesn't seem to be the problem as the same video plays and is visible using PowerDVD and MS Media Player on the adapter-display leg, just not MPC-BE and MadVR.

I have reinstalled both MPC-BE and Madvr and imported the last previously known working settings, but no luck.

Appreciate any pointers.

Cheers,

Allan
where can I download madvr version 127.0.0.1?

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk
elraffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 06:37   #57420  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You NEED the horse before the cart when it comes to any hardware implementation through software, that's how the process works and how it needs to work.
It's a lot easier to work with hardware that actually exists.

Funny how when RTX came out people many were mocking the ray tracing and now after a few good implementations of the it and some incredible examples on youtube it's now obviously "the future"
Some people just have zero foresight and no belief in the possibility of anything not only shown the benefits of but described in detail by professionals and it's astounding to me.
even now ray tracing is a joke. except a wonder in optimisation is happening it will stay a joke on all cards that are not 2080 ti or new releases. will it be a default feature sometime in the feature yes there is a high chance for that.
but if you want to use ray tracing on a 2060 get used to 1080p. they charge a huge premium for a feature that is barely used and useless in the near future and AMD just joined the price wagon.

ray tracing cores are not tensor cores just to make that clear.
@elraffa
127.0.01 doesn't exist. it's the ip address that is used to connect to your own PC.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling