Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd September 2011, 00:35   #1  |  Link
lovelove

well-kept MKV secrets: editions, segment linking, ordered chapters, virtual timelines

I recently stumbled upon 2 blog posts about
"101 things you never knew you could do with Matroska":
part 1 and part 2.

It got me all excited. Countless possibilities came to my mind (inserting external deleted/alternate scenes in your favorite film, repeating video sequences with zero file size increase, enconding common parts only once for a group of videos, etc.) I checked and the features are officially documented in MKVmerge since 2003, so I was quite optimistic that it would indeed work.

Seems I was wrong. I "enabled splitting" in MKVmerge and "link files", but neither VLC nor MPC-HC is aware of the linking and thus none of the abovementioned features work.

Still, there are people here on D9 who use e.g. ordered chapters.. I wonder how. The impression I got from the mod16 blogpost above is that only the Haali splitter supports these features. Though that's something I'd rather avoid, as if possible I prefer self-contained, standalone, portable environments (like VLC, MPC-HC) which don't interfere with the whole system or other programs.

So what is the state of affairs?
Is it true that VLC, MPC and MPC-HC don't support these Matroska features?
Are there any other standalone players which do?
What are your thoughts/recommendations/alternatives/workarounds/ideas ?

Last edited by lovelove; 3rd September 2011 at 13:20.
lovelove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editions, matroska, ordered chapters, segment linking, virtual timeline