Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th July 2019, 12:20   #56921  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Or switch refresh rate of the display to 23p if that's possible and turn smooth motion off.
That's If he can, quite a few screens only run at 50 and 60hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroe View Post
So that is why I had judder when using video renderers other than madVR.
Mostly, yes. It can replace Smooth Motion as chros mentioned but recommended only if you get good results from it.
Some may prefer Smooth Motion instead, if your screen can change refresh and if you can set it up so you don't get any frame drops or repeats
over the course of a typically watched video then the benefits are in motion quality. Smooth Motion blends frames so you you may notice a slight loss of picture sharpness with it enabled.

Last edited by ryrynz; 24th July 2019 at 12:32.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2019, 14:47   #56922  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
https://i.postimg.cc/Bs7mQM1f/zuikaku-c6-Xopp-Q0o2.jpg
The reason I ask is using LAV Filters Megamix's mid-tier (NGU medium) preset on Windows 10 to watch anime gave me 60 FPS. I switched to Windows 8.1 for reasons, and the same preset gave me 30 FPS although now it is giving me 60 FPS, even though I made no changes.
Is there a reason you're forcing NGU for 1080 source material on a 1080 display? Is the 'preset' you're talking about causing it to be forced on?
Old 24th July 2019, 17:51   #56923  |  Link
Shiroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Is there a reason you're forcing NGU for 1080 source material on a 1080 display? Is the 'preset' you're talking about causing it to be forced on?
I have always used codec packs for their simplicity to achieve proper playback of and excellent picture quality when watching anime. I first used Kawaii Codec Pack, but I have since moved on to LAV Filters Megamix because the former is no longer maintained. I also prefer PotPlayer, which LAV Filters Megamix includes, to MPC-HC. During the installation process, one can select different presets based on their graphics card and the resolution of their display. I choose the preset closest to mine.

https://postimg.cc/qNYz8y85

https://postimg.cc/KKBvBVc1

I was using a 1600x900 monitor, but I have been using my 1920x1080 Smart TV since I switched to it recently for testing purposes.

I recently added a 1060 3GB to a Dell XPS 410, which initially resulted in problems, hence "testing purposes." I don't get any frame drops during playback, except in rare cases when an English translation replaces Japanese text in a video. I can think of only two instances when this has happened, both in the same series. Otherwise, I get frame drops temporarily only when exiting/entering fullscreen and seeking.

Do you have a suggestion?

Last edited by Shiroe; 24th July 2019 at 17:56.
Shiroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2019, 18:56   #56924  |  Link
Asmodian

Since it includes madVR presets that force NGU without scaling it makes me think that pack should not be used.

My recommendation is to reset madVR to defaults, only change a setting if it looks better to you or at least you know why you are changing it.
Old 24th July 2019, 19:33   #56925  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I've said for nearly 2 decades... codec packs are terrible! Sure, one download and set-it-and-forget-it is appealing, but too many problems arise. I will say it is a good way to dip your toes into the pond, but once you actually take the plunge, a codec pack is never something to go back to.

QB
Old 24th July 2019, 21:48   #56926  |  Link
Shiroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Since it includes madVR presets that force NGU without scaling it makes me think that pack should not be used.

My recommendation is to reset madVR to defaults, only change a setting if it looks better to you or at least you know why you are changing it.
By "scaling," do you mean using profiles to configure NGU based on the resolution and framerate of content? Since I got a GTX 1060 3GB, when I install LAV Filters Megamix, I create profiles for SD, HD, and FullHD content. I use high settings for SD and HD content, but for FullHD content, I use LAV Filters Megamix's mid-end preset's NGU defaults because I have not needed to change it; a drop in framerate is infinitesimally rare during playback.

I see a difference in picture quality between LAV Filters Megamix's low-end and mid-end presets, at least. The former uses Bicubic50/ Catmull-Rom for chroma upscaling and Lanczos 3 taps for image upscaling without anti-ringing filters while the latter uses NGU Sharp medium for chroma upscaling and image upscaling.

NGU Sharp can make anime look very good, but it sharpens too much sometimes, so I recently began testing NGU Anti-alias, which seems common among people who use madVR to watch anime. Generally, I like sharpened anime because my eyesight is poor; a clear video is less eye-strenuous. I am still experimenting.
Old 24th July 2019, 21:53   #56927  |  Link
Shiroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
I've said for nearly 2 decades... codec packs are terrible! Sure, one download and set-it-and-forget-it is appealing, but too many problems arise. I will say it is a good way to dip your toes into the pond, but once you actually take the plunge, a codec pack is never something to go back to.

QB
I have not had problems using Kawaii Codec Pack or LAV Filters Megamix. I have had problems when installing and configuring PotPlayer, madVR, LAV Filters, and AssFilterMod on my own.
Old 24th July 2019, 22:33   #56928  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
By "scaling," do you mean using profiles to configure NGU based on the resolution and framerate of content?
No, I use many resolution and framerate profiles myself. By scaling I mean changing the resolution, i.e. resizing. Setting the Image Upscaling option "activate doubling / quadrupling" to "always - supersampling" is a bad idea. If you want to do upscaling refinements at a higher resolution it can be useful but as a normal default it is bad. I always use 1.5x/3.0x myself.

I agree, NGU AA is great for anime and NGU Sharp often makes anime look a bit "off"... for lack of a better description. Something is wrong with the edges. I like NGU Sharp with some very high quality anime but most anime blurays look better with NGU AA.

This is with a 2080 Ti on a LG C9 OLED from pretty close to the screen, NGU Sharp looks fine if I am much further away.

I link my madVR settings because people do ask for them but I recommend setting up madVR yourself. Any settings pack is going to pick something for a bad reason, at least for your system.

The reason you need average rendering times <15ms is for 60 fps content, to figure out the number for any particular frame rate simply divide 1000 by the framerate and then subtract a couple of ms for overhead. 1000/60 = 16.67 ms. With 24 fps content you can get away with much stronger settings, even 35ms or more should be fine, 1000/24 = 41.67 ms. Profiles for different frame rates are important, this pack's presets do not include any?!

Quote:
I have not had problems using Kawaii Codec Pack or LAV Filters Megamix.
Now you have.
Old 25th July 2019, 04:21   #56929  |  Link
Limberjork

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The "The GPU rejected this mode" is unfortunately a GPU driver bug, not much I can do about it. I've already reported it to Nvidia, a fix might be coming at some point in the future, but probably not very soon.
Does anyone know if Nvidia ever fixed this? I just learned about the custom modes tab and I get the "GPU driver rejected this mode" error with every optimized timing option I try.
Limberjork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 06:10   #56930  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

I havent had any instant email notifications when someone posts on this thread for many many months even though I have them turned on. It has worked perfectly for years but not for the last 4 months or so. I have loged out and loged in, and have this thread ticked to recieve instant notifications but still I can no longer get them. Has this happened to anyone else?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 07:17   #56931  |  Link
Mike5

Yes, I am in the same situation, no notification for months. Previously it worked perfevtly.
Mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 07:27   #56932  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limberjork View Post
Does anyone know if Nvidia ever fixed this? I just learned about the custom modes tab and I get the "GPU driver rejected this mode" error with every optimized timing option I try.
Just use CRU for custom resolutions, it always works fine.
Old 25th July 2019, 11:31   #56933  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
Yes, I am in the same situation, no notification for months. Previously it worked perfevtly.
There must be something up, I went to the "Contact Us" page and it doesnt allow you to email Doom..... Oh well
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 13:35   #56934  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
By "scaling," do you mean using profiles to configure NGU based on the resolution and framerate of content?
[...] for FullHD content, I use LAV Filters Megamix's mid-end preset's NGU defaults because I have not needed to change it; a drop in framerate is infinitesimally rare during playback.
If you open madVR settings, are there different scaling profiles setup for the different resolutions?
If yes, then go to the profile for Full HD (1080), in image upscaling change 'activate doubling / quadrupling' to something else than 'always'. 'only if scaling factor is 1.5x' is a good option.

If there are no profiles set-up in madVR, it means your codec pack is forcing the same madVR settings, including NGU, for every source material resolution, which in the case of playing 1080p on your 1080 screen, is very inefficient.
Old 25th July 2019, 17:14   #56935  |  Link
thighhighs

No. The author of the pack did not add any profiles. But he mentioned such a possibility in his guide.
This man is old madVR user, but some points confused me. Anyway, i always thinking LAV Filters Megamix suitable for anime-fans only.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 18:29   #56936  |  Link
ScrooW

Guys I have some doubts related to the audio and video sync more precisely the lip sync.

Is madvr's smooth motion immune to audio delay?

I ask this because the problem of synchronization of contents 23.xx / 24p is famous.

I'm almost freaking out because I can't not notice the lack of sync and even searching a lot on the internet and putting the "universal" delays of 175 / 200ms, in some content comes back all over again.
ScrooW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 21:34   #56937  |  Link
Limberjork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrooW View Post
Guys I have some doubts related to the audio and video sync more precisely the lip sync.

Is madvr's smooth motion immune to audio delay?

I ask this because the problem of synchronization of contents 23.xx / 24p is famous.

I'm almost freaking out because I can't not notice the lack of sync and even searching a lot on the internet and putting the "universal" delays of 175 / 200ms, in some content comes back all over again.
I can't see any reason that smooth motion would cause any sync issues. I think you'll need to provide more information about your setup and what types of files you're having issues with if anyone is going to be able to help you. Also I think your issue is almost certainly not with madVR so maybe this thread isn't the best place to get help.
Limberjork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 22:15   #56938  |  Link
ScrooW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limberjork View Post
I can't see any reason that smooth motion would cause any sync issues. I think you'll need to provide more information about your setup and what types of files you're having issues with if anyone is going to be able to help you. Also I think your issue is almost certainly not with madVR so maybe this thread isn't the best place to get help.
The first part of my post was to exemplify and the final was the question.

I will exemplify and in the end I will ask the question, otherwise things will be nonsense.

As we know with 23.xx / 24fps running on tvs with the tv set to 23 / 24p there is an audio delay, I think nowadays with modern tvs this is small or over, but if you google it "24hz lip sync "will find many articles, posts in current and former forums.

So my question and I believe you have already answered, activating smooth motion in madvr will not have this problem?
Old 25th July 2019, 22:22   #56939  |  Link
Asmodian

No, madVR times the frame blending to exactly match the audio. madVR always uses the audio clock to figure out how many frames to show per second, dropping or repeating frames to maintain sync when not using smooth motion.
Old 25th July 2019, 23:04   #56940  |  Link
ScrooW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, madVR times the frame blending to exactly match the audio. madVR always uses the audio clock to figure out how many frames to show per second, dropping or repeating frames to maintain sync when not using smooth motion.

About the last part of your post, I activating smooth motion won't have problems with audio sync either, right?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to come to a "conclusion".

Thanks for the reply and you got where it was really my question.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling