Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th June 2018, 11:48   #51181  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
@huhn
I'm surprised my cpu usages are not too high(around 28% cpu usages) as I play 4k HDR movies with potplay and its in-built D3D11 renderer.
Whatever madVR feature is hogging your CPU, it's not smoothmotion.
It could be:
- software/copyback video decoding
- black bars detection & cropping
- film cadence detection
- HDR per-frame peak brightness analysis (not sure about this one)

Try to fiddle with those and see if the CPU load gets better.
Old 6th June 2018, 12:02   #51182  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
When i decrease resolution to 2556*1600P,seems to play fluently movies with madVR HDR passthrough mode.
Screenshot your OSD playing 4K movie and also playing 2556*1600P.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 12:55   #51183  |  Link
JamesG76

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Bit in-depth, but have a look at this, just for the explanation at least.
I just put 23.976 into CRU and mpc-hc is reporting 23.97597, which results in a drop in 1-5 days or no expected drops. Thanks.
JamesG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 17:55   #51184  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Whatever madVR feature is hogging your CPU, it's not smoothmotion.
It could be:
- software/copyback video decoding
- black bars detection & cropping
- film cadence detection
- HDR per-frame peak brightness analysis (not sure about this one)

Try to fiddle with those and see if the CPU load gets better.
Unless the GPU has a dedicated H.265 decoder built in, just decoding H.265 content will use a lot of CPU power--too much for many older CPUs.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 18:50   #51185  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

Along with a new nvidia driver, they also released a firmware update that enables support for DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 displays. However, on some pages linking to the firmware update utility, there's a reference to (guru3d):

Quote:
The firmware allows 10 and 12 bit per channel signal output when an HDR “signal” is detected.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvi...-displays.html

Just a little warning if you edited your vBIOS to overclock or undervolt, or whatever, the utility probably will fail until you reflash it with the original vBIOS.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 20:43   #51186  |  Link
Warner306

No news from veggav with the Oppo? I was wondering if he got the two players to look the same. After talking to a VLC troll today, I wonder if his Oppo has sharpening enabled or uses it as part of its upscaling? The kind of difference he is explaining sounds similar to difference the VLC guy was showing me. Maybe it has nothing to do with color and is more about pixel sharpening?

If the Oppo is outdoing madVR, it's not impossible, but it would be nice to give madVR a shot.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 20:44   #51187  |  Link
sauma144

Quote:
Well, your 1080Ti might sit idle right now, but it might not stay that way... From the looks of it, my next algo (no upscaling this time), when processing 4K content, is going to be at least 5x slower than NGU Very High 4K -> 8K upscaling would be, which I don't think even a 1080Ti can handle.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 23:35   #51188  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

One thing to note, with the new nvidia drivers (3.98.11), 23p mode for me now switches from 2+ days expected frame drop to no expected frame drop!
Old 6th June 2018, 23:40   #51189  |  Link
theDongerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
No news from veggav with the Oppo? I was wondering if he got the two players to look the same. After talking to a VLC troll today, I wonder if his Oppo has sharpening enabled or uses it as part of its upscaling? The kind of difference he is explaining sounds similar to difference the VLC guy was showing me. Maybe it has nothing to do with color and is more about pixel sharpening?

If the Oppo is outdoing madVR, it's not impossible, but it would be nice to give madVR a shot.
I used to own the Oppo 103D and wonder if he had the Darby Edition with Darby Sharpening enabled. I used to own both the 103D (Darby Ed) as well as the Oppo 203. MadVR + jRiver is absolutely comparable and, imo, better than either Oppo player.

I scale all 1080p 1:1 rips to 4k, bt.709 to 4k and present all 24hz content to 60hz using Smooth Motion.

Also am using MadVR pixel-shaders for playing 1:1 UHD rips (mkv, not full menu) and converting HDR->SDR. If setup correctly, MadVR is the clear winner over the Oppo for SDR2020 playback. 1000 peak nits titles looking amazing, but 4000 peak nits titles... the black floor seems raised if only slightly. Hoping madshi implements a 'peak nits' variable for the pseudo-code that switches profiles in the next release.

Granted, my display has been calibrated for both Bt.709 content as well as SDR2020 content.

Question I still have: Is it safe for Windows10 users to install the Spring update? Everything works perfectly with regard to MadVR and playback -- I don't wanna monkeywrench anything.
theDongerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 01:37   #51190  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDongerr View Post
I used to own the Oppo 103D and wonder if he had the Darby Edition with Darby Sharpening enabled. I used to own both the 103D (Darby Ed) as well as the Oppo 203. MadVR + jRiver is absolutely comparable and, imo, better than either Oppo player.

I scale all 1080p 1:1 rips to 4k, bt.709 to 4k and present all 24hz content to 60hz using Smooth Motion.

Also am using MadVR pixel-shaders for playing 1:1 UHD rips (mkv, not full menu) and converting HDR->SDR. If setup correctly, MadVR is the clear winner over the Oppo for SDR2020 playback. 1000 peak nits titles looking amazing, but 4000 peak nits titles... the black floor seems raised if only slightly. Hoping madshi implements a 'peak nits' variable for the pseudo-code that switches profiles in the next release.

Granted, my display has been calibrated for both Bt.709 content as well as SDR2020 content.

Question I still have: Is it safe for Windows10 users to install the Spring update? Everything works perfectly with regard to MadVR and playback -- I don't wanna monkeywrench anything.
Fullscreen exclusive mode might not work. Your rendering times may go down artificially or the present queue might not fill. Or, it might be fine. It's your choice.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 02:34   #51191  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Wolf View Post
One thing to note, with the new nvidia drivers (3.98.11), 23p mode for me now switches from 2+ days expected frame drop to no expected frame drop!
I only have one custom mode in the Nvidia Control panel set for 23Hz and I tried this driver hoping that I may not even need to set that..
I get a frame repeat every twelve minutes as opposed to a frame drop every three minutes with 385.28 when not using the custom mode.
However, once again like every other driver after this it won't add the custom mode if I change the drop down box to select manual timings, so back to 385.28 I go. Pathetic.

Ayy, I got it to stick by modifying 24Hz instead and added that to the list of resolutions madVR can switch to. Hurrah, now no frame drops/repeats with 398.11.

Last edited by ryrynz; 7th June 2018 at 03:15.
Old 7th June 2018, 02:35   #51192  |  Link
suanm

@ryrynz;@el Filou;@madjock
First of all,Thank you very much for your replies.
My cpu AMD 8450X3;video card:nVidia gtx 1050 3g(bought it two months ago)
player: potplayer or mpc-hd;LAV spitter,LAV video decoder;LAV audio decoder,D3D11 dxva11 native mode;renderer:madshi
I did some tests yesterday for the playback of 4K HDR movies.

I found if i decreased TV set resolution to 3150*2160p,i played smoothly and fluently 4K HDR movies.
My cpu usages are around 47%~55%;gpu usages are around 35%~50%;hardly dropt frames.

If i decreased tv set resolution to 3050*2160p,when the playback of the 4k HDR movies.
My cpu usgaes are around 27%~35%;gpu usages are around 35%~50%;not dropt frames.

If i decreased tv set resolution to 3250*2160p,when the playback of them
My cpu usages suddenly get around 85%~93%~100%;gpu usages are around 50%~60%;sharply dropt frames.

If I decreased tv set resolution to 3350*2160p and over
My cpu usages suddenly get around 85%~93%~100%;gpu usages are around 50%~60%;sharply dropt frames.

I don't know what's going on.MadVR HDR passthrough doesn't work suddenly.In fact the HDR passthrough worked perfectly the day before yesterday.whatever i played yesterday,it didn't work.

Last edited by suanm; 7th June 2018 at 02:43.
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 03:45   #51193  |  Link
ryrynz

Like I said, take a screen shot with your OSD up (CTRL-J) in the various resolutions you're using.
Old 7th June 2018, 04:44   #51194  |  Link
suanm

@ryrynz
With my cell phone I've taken several photos on which there were madvr OSD status,cpu usages and gpu usages as well.Unfortunatedly,these photos can't be uploaded to the post

OSD status:chroma>super->xbr ;image<ssim1D100

Last edited by suanm; 7th June 2018 at 04:47.
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 04:45   #51195  |  Link
ryrynz

Upload to a file sharing host you can just paste the links here.
Old 7th June 2018, 04:55   #51196  |  Link
takenori

anyone tested the latest nvidia driver and firmware update for displayport yet? any benefits if youre not using GysncHDR display and just a reguler HDR display?
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 06:09   #51197  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I only have one custom mode in the Nvidia Control panel set for 23Hz and I tried this driver hoping that I may not even need to set that..
I get a frame repeat every twelve minutes as opposed to a frame drop every three minutes with 385.28 when not using the custom mode.
However, once again like every other driver after this it won't add the custom mode if I change the drop down box to select manual timings, so back to 385.28 I go. Pathetic.

Ayy, I got it to stick by modifying 24Hz instead and added that to the list of resolutions madVR can switch to. Hurrah, now no frame drops/repeats with 398.11.
Hmm. I didn't use any custom mode, just a clean default 23p. Custom modes always was buggy for me.
Old 7th June 2018, 06:16   #51198  |  Link
ryrynz

Perhaps it's related to the card you've. I'm running a G1 Gaming 1060 6GB.
Old 7th June 2018, 07:39   #51199  |  Link
x7007

So the new Nvidia Drivers always stay on Output Dynamic Range to FULL when using the Use Default color settings. make sure when you are using HDR Mode you have Black Level set to HIGH on your TV . for me OLED LG TV . or else you will have White dots and crushed blacks. or if you want the other way is to select Use Nvidia color settings and change to LIMITED and stay on TV Black Level to LOW.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 07:59   #51200  |  Link
Mano

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but i recently notice during anime playback, when the scene is moving there is noticeable vertical tearing just 1cm above the bottom. For movie the tearing is more subtle and mostly only during high action scene. I am using default madvr setting + mpc-hc.

Anyone know what is wrong with my setup?
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling