Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 15th June 2003, 23:14   #81  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
yep
Nan.... it's great like it is now.
Old 16th June 2003, 01:48   #82  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramirez
can you please tell us a little bit more about "noisyEdgeFilter"?
Should we deactivate if the video source is high Q noise free material?
Does it affect encoding speed/ level of details preservation?
This filter affects only 1-2 lines around the outer edge of the image in case they do not match the rest of the image. For instance, for live capture, there is usually some noise around the edge of the frame, specifically the top line or bottom line. Or if you do a bad job cropping the video, 1-2 lines of black might be left. The only thing this filter does is detect such cases, and then copy lines of real video in their place. It does this because black/noisy lines that do not match the rest of the video are hard to compress and oftentimes create visible compression artifacts along this edge. You could try with noisyEdgeFilter ON or OFF, after leaving 1 line of black on the top and bottom after cropping, and see if you notice its effect.

Generally there is no reason to deactivate this filter, since it (i) affects only pixels around the outer edge, and (ii) only when these pixels do not match the rest of the image.
Old 16th June 2003, 07:22   #83  |  Link
wing1

@karl,

something is broken in the rmeditor.exe? I tried to merge 2 encoded EHQ rmvb into one and cmdline is telling me that there is an error in the rmtool engine.
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 07:38   #84  |  Link
karl_lillevold

@wing1: no, that should work just fine, but make sure the rmeditor you are using is the newest one. There was a problem for a while causing problems merging .rmvb files with different maxBitrates. If you still can not get it to work, send me a PM or e-mail and we can set up a file transfer to debug the problem. The files also need to have the same dimensions. EHQ or not does not matter for merging.
Old 16th June 2003, 14:03   #85  |  Link
wing1

@karl,

Ok, here is what I've found so far. The last installed EHQ version is giving me this error. The previous milestone build 3 works just fine. Copying the rmeditor.exe from milestone build3 over to EHQ build gave the same error.

msg -> A general error in rmtools engine.

the clips are generated using avs function blankclip + subtittle, and encoded using RV9-EHQ=80 @ avgbitrate=644k & maxbitrate=avgbitratex2.1 with maxstartuplatency=60. The rest are default.

update: after replacing files after files on build 205 with build 166, I have tracked it down to ralf.dll in the codecs folder. Replacing only this file will allow rmeditor to work without the above error.

Last edited by wing1; 16th June 2003 at 16:49.
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 17:22   #86  |  Link
karl_lillevold

@wing1: thanks for the assistance in tracking down the problem! I have forwarded your information, so it should be fixed in the next build.

@everyone:Until then, pls follow wing1's instructions and replace ralf.dll with a previous version (ralf = RA Lossless)
EDIT: even easier: just delete or move away ralf.dll from the codecs folder into another folder.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 16th June 2003 at 18:50.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2003, 18:42   #87  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I was creating some RV9-EHQ demos and wanted to post an interesting screenshot.
This is Foreman CIF with 30% less bits on the left.
This is double-sized, compressed at a very low bitrate, and a good example of the EHQ visual improvement.
Foreman is one of most widely used ITU test sequences. I found that with EHQ, the quality is about the same with 25% less bits. Even though the clip to the right has some ugly artifacts, it is slightly sharper. Thus, 25% bitrate reduction and not 30% for this clip.

For a couple of other difficult ITU clips the results were:
BUS [SIF] : 27% less bits with EHQ
Stefan [CIF] : 35% - " -
for close to identical quality.
Old 20th June 2003, 09:04   #88  |  Link
uaco72

waiting for the new version of AutoRV9 1.3x, with EHQ options...
uaco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2003, 12:45   #89  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

While waiting, you could try RMFactory
Old 25th June 2003, 19:21   #90  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

Here small comparative of celerity enters the most recent versions of codecs their most powerful configurations. Same script avs was to use on a celeron 1470 MHz...

Code:
RV9 04/06/2003 
EHQ 80 
2 pass: 1401 sec 
5.88 fps 

XviD Koepi 
Ultra hight+VHQ4+bframe+chroma ME 
2 pass: 1080 sec 
7.65 fps 

DivX Thahanea 
Slow+bframe 
3 pass: 2280 sec 
5.42 fps 

WMV9 VCM 
Complexe+Quality max 
2 pass: 1620 sec 
5.09 fps

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 23:07   #91  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Would be great to have some pictures
Old 17th October 2003, 00:38   #92  |  Link
justin

me is just curious, how come EHQ isn't included in RV9 Milestone 6 when you download? It is confusing in M6 you need old dll from M4 and downgrade EHQ Dll from M5 and change EncodingComplexity to EncoderComplexity and 85 needs to be changed to 80

Last edited by justin; 17th October 2003 at 00:59.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 02:32   #93  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Supposed to be in M6...
Old 17th October 2003, 02:42   #94  |  Link
karl_lillevold

EHQ is in every version since M4, but there was a problem with its enabling in M5, where the producer team accidentally broke my method used in M4. With M6 and M7 everything works fine, both new and old methods to enable EHQ, and there is no reason to switch any DLLs around. Is something not working right?
Old 18th October 2003, 06:20   #95  |  Link
justin

oh sorry, I thought EHQ wasn't in M6.

Is it in the help file?!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 06:39   #96  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I implemented EHQ on top of RV9, and I may know a thing or two about video compression, but I am a bad documentation writer, so I did not focus too much on other documentation than what I have contributed in this forum. The Producer docs are good at describing audience and job file syntax, but does not cover the codec details or EHQ too well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

On a sidenote, thanks for all the useful feedback on EHQ quality. We are currently hearing very nice comments from other sources as well, but this forum was the first. It is very motivating for improving the quality even further. there is headroom. more later!
Old 18th October 2003, 08:03   #97  |  Link
snowcrash

karl,

In this thread you seem to be pushing the EHQ "very high" setting, but what do you think of the "high" setting? I would think it might be a good compromise between time and quality, since the very high setting is quite slow.

If one is encoding at relatively high bitrates, say 800-1000 kbit, do you think it's still beneficial to even use EHQ at all? Perhaps at higher bitrates the EHQ "high" setting would be sufficient?
snowcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 15:25   #98  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

lol

If you want the best quality, at any bitrate, use very-high EHQ. If not, you may get bluring and less details.
Old 20th October 2003, 20:00   #99  |  Link
karl_lillevold

@snowcrash: 'high' is indeed a good compromise, you get many of the visual benefits of EHQ. It does not, however, do as extensive a mode comparison, and the motion estimation is also slightly less accurate. I am fortunate enough to have a speedy fast computer, so I don't have to compromise. I would recommend at least 'high', but if you are running low on time, 'normal' will still produce very good quality at 0.18-0.20 bits/pixel and above.
Old 9th January 2004, 16:57   #100  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

I can't find how to use "high, medium and low" instead of their numbers in the jobfile.

Code:
<encoderComplexity type="uint">[EHQ2]</encoderComplexity>
using "string" instead of "uint", producer tells me:
Code:
,Informational,SDK Encoding,2004/01/09 10:51:07,15004,Starting analysis pass
,Error,Video Codec,2004/01/09 10:51:07,0,Failed to Set Property: Key encoderComplexity Value high 
,Diagnostic,Video Codec,2004/01/09 10:51:07,20049,Setting video packet size to 0
,Error,Video Codec,2004/01/09 10:51:07,0,Failed to initialize video codec 04VR
,Error,SDK Encoding,2004/01/09 10:51:07,15001,Job failed to start encoding
,Error,Command Line,2004/01/09 10:51:07,10536,Encoding failed!