Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 27th August 2008, 11:15   #401  |  Link
rendez2k

So if ImgBurn can't be distributed, could AVStoDVD just check to see if its installed on the system and give you the download link if not? I only trust ImgBurn!
rendez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:08   #402  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchWorKs View Post
As already posted in the SF-project Tracker, distributing ImgBurn (that is free but not open source) together with GPL-licensed code violates the license itself.

So I strongly suggest you (and non only you...) to switch from ImgBurn to an open source compatible burning tool:

- http://freshmeat.net/projects/cdrecord/
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrdao/

I'm sure you can grab some inspirations from:

- http://cdrtfe.sourceforge.net/
- http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

Hope that helps !!!

nota: sei italiano ?
Thanks for the info. I have taken a look to your GLP sw list and I cannot find MuxMan, BatchMux and HCenc. Does it mean that I have to find other GPL tools to replace the above to mantain the GLP licence on AVStoDVD?

If I cannot find any suitable tools, what kind of licence can I declare? Freeware? Generic open source? Let me know because I'm not an expert in that matter...

Bye

P.S. Sė sono italiano

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:58   #403  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Licence issue...

Concerning BatchMux, I confirm the tool is completely free and freely redistributable as an executable code without any problem. If you want, you can also freely patch, modify or hacker its executable code without any complaint from the side to the author (me).

However it is not possible to distribute its source code, since most part of its content is deeply related to the knowledge and the DVD information which is taken from the web site of MPUCoder, whose access is restricted and protected by an explicit non disclosure agreement.

This situation (free availability and possibility of redistribution of the executable, but unavailability of the source code) holds also for MuxMan and HCEnc, making these programs incompatible with the terms of the GNU GPL licence.

If you want to keep the GPL licence for AVStoDVD, I recommend to remove these programs from the installation and/or distribution packages of AVDtoDVD, and to give just instructions/links about where to download or to look for them.

Other programs (DVD-RB, for instance) are distributed outside the domain of GNU-GPL. In this case there is the freedom of redistributing other close-source programs and packages, and you also may choose to include or not the source code in the distridution...

Cheers,
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 19:10   #404  |  Link
wg

I for one have never used the burning facility from within AVStoDVD, I have ImgBurn installed independently, so maybe you could add it to the 'software requirements' list, possibly also any other software there may be issues with, as already stated by Sir Didymus. This is too good a project to be halted by 'Red Tape'. On a different note I would be more than happy to make a donation to AVStoDVD but as I don't use credit cards(Past problems) this is difficult, if anyone has a suggestion re this please reply. Keep up the outstanding work MrC.

Stay Lucky.
wg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 07:43   #405  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@SD, wg

thanks for the contributions on this delicate matter.

My opinion is that if I cannot select a alternative and appropriate Open Source domain (there are really a lot of them), I will move away from SourceForge and continue to distribute AVStoDVD as freeware on VideoHelp/GooglePages.

In its early days, AVStoDVD was not equipped with all external software needed. Users had to select them in a Settings Tab. The very big "problem" is that, luckily, those software are often updated and, just for example, HCenc 0.86 may be not compatible with AVStoDVD 7.1.9. I can guarantee (99%) that AVStoDVD is fully compatible with the sw releases shipped with it, not newer or older.

I thought about another possible solution: split AVStoDVD into 2 packages: the first one (GPL and hosted by SourceForge) with only "raw" AVStoDVD, the second one (hosted by GooglePages) containing the collection of required external sw. But I think it would be a little bit messy and confused....

Any ideas and suggestion is welcome.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 30th August 2008, 22:22   #406  |  Link
ricardo.santos

googlepages will shut down in December, being replaced by googlesites.

There are so many free hosting places to distribute AVS2DVD, ripbot264 has been using mediafire instead of sourceforge.

Theres also services that will distribute avs2dvd for you through several free hosting sites and give back the links for all of them.

for example:
http://www.uploadjockey.com

test link:
http://www.uploadjockey.com/download/9611481/test.zip

Last edited by ricardo.santos; 30th August 2008 at 22:30.
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 01:24   #407  |  Link
PatchWorKs

Well, sorry (or not?) to start this "flame"... I hope it will not cause any loosing.
Open Source softwares are really a cultural treasure.

BTW nowdays (in the communication era) we "live" in a software bazaar.

PD, FreeWare, ShareWare, Open Source (SS too !), Closed Source, EULA, own... a license jungle !

I believe that open source developers should choose an appropriate license for their packages (and I would also consider Patents and Royalties for this kind of applications... in the second stage).

GPL is a great freedom license, but you must reverse your rights so keep it in mind; and trust me, SourceForge is THE right place for you/your project (rapids**-like links tastes a bit of warez to me).

So i believe that you simply need an alternative (the same approach that borned the open source philosophy - @ 12:50th minute) and, fortunally, there are tons of !

As suggested, you could use GPL-compatible burning tools or, even better, you could start some kind of collaboration with other projects to obtain what you need.

Or implement an online update tool (WGET ?) that retrieves the "GPL-incompatible pack" from a PPF-CDN service.

Hope that helps !

Marco Ravich

Last edited by PatchWorKs; 31st August 2008 at 01:29.
PatchWorKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 09:34   #408  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@ricardo.santos

Thanks for the info about uploading sites. I think they can be very useful when you have to share one "standalone" file. But they are not suitable when trying to distribute a full software, including News, Tutorials, Downloads and, maybe, Forums. Right now, SourceForge has all those features and GooglePages (I hope GoogleSites too) has some of them.

@PatchWorKs

Unfortunately the licence problem is not limited to ImgBurn. There are other 2 "structural" tools, HCenc and MuxMan, not having a OS license.
I hope your wide knowledge about OS matter will help suggesting me if a suitable OS license exists. I mean: a license which allows me to keep freeware sw inside AVStoDVD installer package. Thanks in advance.

Btw, I wonder how a well known and more famous all-in-one tool like DVDFlick, which includes ImgBurn in its package, has a GPL license and is hosted by SourceForge... another "bad guy"?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 31st August 2008, 11:06   #409  |  Link
PatchWorKs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Unfortunately the licence problem is not limited to ImgBurn. There are other 2 "structural" tools, HCenc and MuxMan
So do you need a dvd authoring tool ? A muxer ? Anything else ?

The suggestion is to deeply digg SF.net for poject like yours and "legally stole" others' methods (that's the beauty of open source !).

Even better (to me) is to adopt an universal tool as a backend (MediaCoder of course) that provides you the tools you need.

You don't need to change the license ('cause the problem is not your one, but the others' ones) you need to change tools your program uses.
Old 1st September 2008, 02:19   #410  |  Link
gizzin

can you please, please remove the bitrate restriction, or tell me a way of doing it.
gizzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 08:24   #411  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzin View Post
can you please, please remove the bitrate restriction, or tell me a way of doing it.
Right now there is no way. But, since AVStoDVD is somehow Open Source, you can take the source code, modify it and compile your own build.

Joking apart, I am working on it. I will send you (email?) a 2.1.1 Alpha "gizzin build" as soon as possible.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 1st September 2008, 16:04   #412  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Following the link gizzin (and all others guys interested in) can find a very preliminary 2.1.1 release.

Download the 7z file and unpack the files (exe and history) into AVStoDVD folder.

Enjoy minimum bitrate customization!

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 2nd September 2008 at 08:56. Reason: Download moved to AVStoDVD Homepage
Old 1st September 2008, 16:18   #413  |  Link
rendez2k

Thanks Mr C - is the Panasonic menu issue fixed in this version?
Old 1st September 2008, 17:10   #414  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
Thanks Mr C - is the Panasonic menu issue fixed in this version?
Not yet. BatchMux 1.2 is not yet supported.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 1st September 2008, 17:30   #415  |  Link
rendez2k

Arh, i thought it was something that could be tweaked in the settings file as a quick fix for now

Quote:
2. Open with a text editor the file BatchMux.mxp, and find the line "Select End Time=00:00:00:00". Change this line with: "Select End Time=-1". No spaces before and after the "=". Save the file.
Old 1st September 2008, 18:30   #416  |  Link
gizzin

thanks mrc as soon as its approved I will test away, !!!
Old 2nd September 2008, 00:53   #417  |  Link
wg

I know of 3 other projects(And there may be more) that use most, if not all of the software bundled with AVStoDVD, yet when I check their forums(And they are certainly not hard to find) not a word from 'Patchworks' re rights issues. What gives?

Last edited by wg; 2nd September 2008 at 00:59.
wg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 06:35   #418  |  Link
gizzin

patchworks, mediacoder... what are you smoking?
Old 2nd September 2008, 08:23   #419  |  Link
Darksoul71
Can you blush ?

@PatchWorKs:
I understand the motives for your posting but in general
I think this is counterproductive.

Searching for another burning / ISO tool just to fullfil GPL
requirements is a waste of time IMO.

Being a tool developer myself I would rather choose
- move away from sourceforge
- release my tool source under any license but not GPL

Investing time in anything else doesnīt help the tool
and hence doesnīt help the users.

The same thing goes for building two different packages
(GPL / Non-GPL) or developing a downloader for "Non GPL"
tools.

Quote:
GPL is a great freedom license, but you must reverse your rights so keep it in mind; and trust me, SourceForge is THE right place for you/your project (rapids**-like links tastes a bit of warez to me).
SourceForge is only "the" right place if you are free to host your opensource tool
there without restrictions as long as itīs free and uses free tools.

Rapidshare, Megaupload and all the other "Webspaces" have not more
to do with warez as torrent, e-mule, etc.

When you want to distribute bigger files to a lot of people they are
simply an easy way without additional costs for the distributor.

Please donīt take this personal...itīs just my point of view !

@MrC:
If any problems arise on how you package AVS2DVD you simply should do
what I discribed above:
Switch to another license and (if neccessary) look out for a new hosting
site. Users are flexible...

Anything else is a waste of your valuable time which could be better invested in enhancing AVS2DVD.

Cheers,
D$
Darksoul71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008, 08:26   #420  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Waiting for Doom9 approval...

Release 2.1.1 Alpha gizzin build

@rendez2k

about Panasonic issue: it is not so easy. BatchMux creates the mxp file for MuxMan and then runs it immediately. There is no way to catch the mxp file at runtime, modify it and then launch MuxMan.
But, manually, you can do it:
1. Go to 'Settings'/'Misc' and toggle off 'Delete temporary process files' and 'Delete AVStoDVD working files'
2. Run your project
3. When finished go to AVStoDVD temp files folder and edit the mxp file
4. Open MuxMan and load the mxp. Run MuxMan.
5. (Optional) Clean up temp files folder and output folder

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 2nd September 2008 at 08:55.