Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 11th March 2012, 17:40   #9801  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Make sure you don't use MPC-HCs MPEG-TS source filter, it doesn't output VC-1 with the correct timestamps, and the WMV9 decoder has no workaround for that yet.
With LAV or Haali for MPEG-TS splitting it should be fine.

Works fine for me, at least.
Old 11th March 2012, 17:57   #9802  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Make sure you don't use MPC-HCs MPEG-TS source filter, it doesn't output VC-1 with the correct timestamps, and the WMV9 decoder has no workaround for that yet.

Works fine for me, at least.
In all cases, I'm using the LAV Splitter and ZoomPlayer. It happens with both TS and MKV. I get the same results on two different machines.

Have you actually looked at the dropped frame count (in madVR)? The clip by itself doesn't look too bad, although you can see jerky motion if you look closely.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 18:09   #9803  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Have you actually looked at the dropped frame count (in madVR)? The clip by itself doesn't look too bad, although you can see jerky motion if you look closely.
Zero dropped frames here.

Are you sure some refresh rate switcher isnt taking you to 30Hz instead of 60?
Old 11th March 2012, 18:27   #9804  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
A big plus is that AviSynth also supports YV24, while AYUV is not supported.
You mean Avisynth 2.6, which still is "alphaware" alright.
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 22:36   #9805  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
I guess (nev mentioned this before) the reason for the waiting has to do with the bug concerning YV24 in all MadVR version except the more recent one.
MadVR showed showed the U and V reversed (U was V and V was U).
This means that if people didn't update their Madvr yet for whatever reason, would get completely wrong colors.
Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
Mind you that EVR won't work at all with Y24, because it simply doesn't support this format.
Currently, only MadVR supports YV24.
A big plus is that AviSynth also supports YV24, while AYUV is not supported.
EVR supports AYUV but not YV24?
For me it doesn't work great with AYUV, picture is a little too dark (doesn't happen with madVR).
I thought changing to YV24 would fix this.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 23:38   #9806  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi Nev,

I have reported this issue in the past, but seeking in a VC-1 video when WMV9 DMO decodeer causes the lipsync issue. FFmpeg VC-1 is fine in this regard. Nothing crucial, but worth to mention.
Thanks

Pluto
Old 12th March 2012, 00:43   #9807  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
http://www.mediafire.com/?xr7ynkl2fg59g1c <- this is crazy it's a nvcuvenc h.264 transcode of the same mpeg-2 bitstream that brings the dxva2 native mpeg-2 down :P and it crashes also coincidence maybe though way to strange for one or this stream not important in which form triggers a bug in the MPC-HC render core but only with your DXVA2 Native
Interesting information, and especially much and detailed !
What do you mean by a " nvcuvenc h.264 transcode" ?
Did you use the LAV cuvid decoder to decode and x264 to re-encode ?
You talk about "nvcuvenc" : is this a separate application from Nvidia ?
I thought the CUVID API can only decode, because there is no hardware in NVidia cards to encode, only to decode video.

However, I believe I saw something similar a long time ago from Neuron2 : there was even a source called nvcuvenc IIRC, but I never got it working.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 01:01   #9808  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
You mean Avisynth 2.6, which still is "alphaware" alright.
Alphaware doesn't mean to much in this context : I use the sET v2.6 MT build (13.09.2011) and never got any problem with it.
It seems to be very stable for me....
Look at MPC-HC, FFDshow, Madvr, PotP, ... : we all like to use the latest versions for the added features, but it's basically also still in "alpha-stage" !
The latest "official" FFDshow is from 2007 IIRC, are you still using this ?
What version of LAV are you using ? version 1.0 ?

Last edited by Pat357; 12th March 2012 at 01:13.
Old 12th March 2012, 01:51   #9809  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
What version of LAV are you using ? version 1.0 ?
As for Avisynth itself, I keep using version 2.5.8 --- but probably it's the time to go thru the "upgrade"

OK, you are right this time
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 02:02   #9810  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Nev,
Is this also for WMV 1-2 or 3 ?
Does the code to decode VC1 also work for WMV3 ?
The reason I ask is when WMV3 can be fully accelerated (DXVA output) is it using the same VC-1 decoder on the graphic card
or is there next to H264,MPEG2,VC1 and MP4-ASP another piece of hardware that does the WMV3 acceleration to DXVA ?
One should think, if it is possible with the same HW, it should be possible with the same software... no?

This has always puzzled me..

Last edited by Pat357; 12th March 2012 at 02:07.
Old 12th March 2012, 07:50   #9811  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
EVR supports AYUV but not YV24?
For me it doesn't work great with AYUV, picture is a little too dark (doesn't happen with madVR).
I thought changing to YV24 would fix this.
Thats the whole point. EVRs AYUV support is terribly broken, which is why i want to turn AYUV off by default, but i needed a replacement for 4:4:4 first. I implemented YV24 already, but its not activated yet.

EVR doesn't support anything but AYUV for 4:4:4, so instead it'll then get RGB, which is much better for EVR anyway, and madVR will receive YV24.

Quote:
Does the code to decode VC1 also work for WMV3 ?
The reason I ask is when WMV3 can be fully accelerated (DXVA output) is it using the same VC-1 decoder on the graphic card
The new decoder works for both VC-1 and WMV3. Its essentially the same codec. WMV3 is Simple and Main Profile, and VC-1 adds a new "Advanced Profile", but otherwise its the same codec.
Same goes for DXVA.

WMV1/2 are completely different and not supported by hardware, or the new decoder.

PS:
I don't think i've seen WMV3 in MPEG-TS, so the post you quoted doesn't apply anyway.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th March 2012 at 07:54.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 08:12   #9812  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Maybe you could use a 10bit 4:4:4 FOURCC for the time being, instead of AYUV?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 08:19   #9813  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Maybe you could use a 10bit 4:4:4 FOURCC for the time being, instead of AYUV?
I could, but i never liked the idea of converting 8 to 10 bit.
I also would need to write such a function first, because i don't trust swscale (which is the fallback for all conversions that i didn't implement manually)

I'll just enable YV24 in one of the upcoming builds, and make people either turn it off or upgrade madVR if they complain.
Old 12th March 2012, 08:27   #9814  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Yes, that's fine with me.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 14:39   #9815  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Is there a way to check what output audio bit depths my audio card supports? I'm very sure it's 16-bit but I'm not 100% sure.
On Windows 7, you can see the list of supported audio formats in the properties of the audio output, "Advanced" tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Also, If I'm using ffdshow audio processor just to downmix the audio and LAV Audio for decoding, is it better to have LAV Audio send a 32-bit float stream to ffdshow audio processer and have ffdshow dither the bit depth to 16-bit or just deselect everything but 16-bit depth in LAV Audio and have ffdshow not touch the bit depth?
If you're processing the audio stream (in your case downmixing), then it's better to keep the audio in 32-bit float until the very last step. It very probably won't make a audible difference, but at least you'd be on the safe side.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 16:00   #9816  |  Link
hoboX10

Hey, I have a problem with the LAV video decoder, other people may have this too.

If I enable NVIDIA CUVID Hardware Acceleration with the latest drivers (version 295.73) then any H264 playback will cause a Blue Screen upon loading the decoder.

I should say that this is with NVIDIA's Verde drivers (Mobile Graphics Drivers) and may not be an issue with their standard graphics drivers.

Thanks for reading.
hoboX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 16:06   #9817  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Zero dropped frames here.

Are you sure some refresh rate switcher isnt taking you to 30Hz instead of 60?
I'm not using any sort of refresh rate changer. I can see no indication that the refresh rate is changing and the display always says 60.

Remember that this clip works fine (no dropped frames) when the wmv9 decoder AND yadif is used in ffdshow. It's only in LAV Video that the same combination gives a problem.

Just to be absolutely sure that we're on the same page: You do have yadif on, don't you? It only has the dropped frames when yadif is used.

This clip is from a blu-ray that is a real test of vc1 interlaced. I find that it needs a really fast cpu to run smoothly with the wmv9 decoder. It's not the only one that is like that, but there are certainly others that don't have nearly the problems. I do have a i7-2600, though, and have never seen any problems with it and this blu-ray except with LAV Video with yadif enabled. I also don't see any indication that the cpu is maxed out when the problem occurs.

EDIT (ADDED):

I've tried several different settings in madVR (including no, no, no, fw(s)) with no change. Basically the madVR queues are always almost empty indicating that LAV Video is not able to keep up.

MORE INFO:

If I check "Treat as progressive", there are no dropped frames, but I can see (if I look carefully) that the picture is NOT de-interlaced. That certainly seems to point to something that is happening in your yadif implementation.

Last edited by jmonier; 12th March 2012 at 18:17.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 16:28   #9818  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
CoreAVC DXVA, Lav Video DXVA and Potplayer DXVA fail with these x264 streams (same visual problem mostly gray blocking on specific frames, ref frames related, the more surprising would be that Arcsoft and Cyberlink found a way to compensate it without losing DXVA, or they use quicksync natively and Intels Driver MSDK fixes it) Cyberlink DXVA and Arcsofts DXVA implementation handle them on Intel without problems and fully accelerated
We are looking into it... thank you for sure a great report!

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 18:38   #9819  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I also don't see any indication that the cpu is maxed out when the problem occurs.
Neither the decoder nor YADIF are multithreaded, so maxed out would mean that one core is maxed out, which really isn't easy to see.

Can you benchmark it with GraphStudio, and see what you get?
Without YADIF, i get 61 fps on that clip, with YADIF in 50/60p mode around 70. I can see how there isn't a big margin.

Before anyone asks, YADIF doesn't make it faster, during the deinterlacing process the frames get doubled.

I can probably move YADIF processing into a worker thread somehow so that decoding can already resume while YADIF is working, or try to multi-thread YADIF itself (or both).
Old 12th March 2012, 18:41   #9820  |  Link
DragonQ

I assumed that YADIF processing was on a separate thread to the decoding anyway?

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter