Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th March 2011, 14:44   #6141  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
What is the expected behavior when madVR is run on too weak hardware? Will it show an error, or will it simply fail and let the player fall back to a different renderer?
If the hardware is simply too slow, madVR will "work", but it will be a slide show, because madVR drops frames very agressively if rendering can't keep up. If the hardware is not DX9 capable, madVR should (at least in theory) draw an error message to the video screen, by using simple win32 APIs which should work on any hardware.

Quote:
Are multiple player instances supported (given enough GPU ram)?
Yes.

Of course fullscreen exclusive mode can only be used by one application at a time, per monitor. Haven't tried running two madVR instances on two monitors, both in exclusive mode. Might work or fail, don't know.

Quote:
Are there any CPU requirements (like SSE(2))?
Not that I'd be aware of. madVR itself does not contain any CPU specific assembler code because 99% of the hard work is done via pixel shaders, anyway. So writing assembler code wouldn't bring much benefit.

The only real hard limit is that the GPU must be DX9 capable with a reasonable feature set and enough RAM. As far as I know, madVR works with all DX9 ATI, NVidia and Intel GPUs. With Intel, bilinear scaling must be used, though, otherwise playback is not smooth.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 15:03   #6142  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Haven't tried running two madVR instances on two monitors, both in exclusive mode. Might work or fail, don't know.
Just out of curiosity I've tried running two madVR instances in fullscreen on my two displays and the second one failed with
Code:
madVR reports:
- creating Direct3D device failed (88760868)
not dependent on the mode (windowed/exclusive).

Now this is on Win 7 x86 SP1 and AMD HD5750 with Catalyst 11.2.

I've had similar problems in other situations so don't take my case as a reference.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 15:06   #6143  |  Link
noee

Fwiw, I just tried the same thing as pankov, MPC-HC on one monitor and jRiver on the other. The second instance (jRiver) failed with the same error as pankov.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 15:18   #6144  |  Link
clsid

Could you please disable the networking stuff by default? It is really annoying for people who don't use it and scary for those who don't understand it.
Old 20th March 2011, 15:33   #6145  |  Link
adam777

Quote:
And the next problem I can't reproduce here... Works just fine for me with both YV12 and NV12. Also, I don't really see how this could be madVR related. Whether the input is YV12 or NV12 doesn't matter to madVR at all. None of madVR's features or functionalities depend in any way on the input format. madVR converts both YV12 and NV12 to some other format internally, anyway.
Yep, you're right, doesn't seem to be madVR related, could not utilize subtitles with EVR-CP and YV12 as well.
Just happened to activate the subtitle renderer for the first time while using madVR and came to a wrong conclusion...
adam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 15:33   #6146  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
This makes the 3rd reported subtitle problem I can't reproduce on my PC... Which zoom/aspect ratio etc settings are you using in MPC-HC when you experience this problem?
MPC-HC with no zoom. Video frame has Touch Windows from inside and Keep aspect ratio. The problem occur in my 16:10 monitor (the video is 16:9). I would guess that there should be no problem when aspect ratio matched, but I have not test that yet. I hope this helps. Thank you.
Old 20th March 2011, 16:10   #6147  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Could you please disable the networking stuff by default? It is really annoying for people who don't use it and scary for those who don't understand it.
Oh well. Until now I've refused to disable it because IMHO the network stuff doesn't do any damage, so adding an option to disable it makes the user interface more complicated without any benefit. But then, since it's you who's asking, I guess I'll have to change my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
MPC-HC with no zoom. Video frame has Touch Windows from inside and Keep aspect ratio. The problem occur in my 16:10 monitor (the video is 16:9). I would guess that there should be no problem when aspect ratio matched, but I have not test that yet. I hope this helps. Thank you.
I can reproduce it - yey! Finally a problem I can reproduce...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 16:23   #6148  |  Link
Rain1

This is weird, I could not utilize subtitle with MPC-HC's internal sub + madVR in the Haruhi clip (no subtitle @ all in any 3 states of "Position subtitle relatives to the video frame")

My setting:

My stuff: MPC-HC 2990 x86, madVR .45, ffdshow 3779 x86, Win7 x64, geForce GTX260

My previous config is: MPC-HC + madVR + ffdshow + DirectvobSub.

Thanks alot for your dedicating support on your FREE software !
Rain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 16:28   #6149  |  Link
goldie

Quote:
What is the expected behavior when madVR is run on too weak hardware? Will it show an error, or will it simply fail and let the player fall back to a different renderer?
I tested on my Intel Q35 (GMA 3100) platform.
WinXP-Pro-SP3, madVR 0.45, ffdshow 3779, MPC-HC 1.5.2.2990, DirectX 9.0c Jun.2010
Code:
madVR reports:
- creating Direct3D device failed (8876086c)

Although I think Intel GMA 3100 has DX9 capability, it never works.
My Intel GMA 3100's detail from driver report.
However, I have another platform with ATI Radeon HD 6870, and didn't use madVR on Intel Q35.

Last edited by goldie; 20th March 2011 at 16:31.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 17:36   #6150  |  Link
bobdynlan
Beyond the Corn Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
My system is up to date.
Anyways, my issue with the 32-bit version of MPC-HC just crashing on my system I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with DX files. MPC-HC 64-bit version runs perfectly fine with either EVR-CP + DXVA or Haali renderer (since it has a 64-bit version).
[...]
Anyways, I digress this is just something screwed up in my Win7 install and I don't want to format and reinstall just to run mpc-hc 32-bit. My problems on my system are running the new version of MadVR with potplayer. If there is another 32-bit media player that runs reclock and madvr fine and has the new subtitle support I'd be willing to try that.
[...]
Yes, I've pretty much given up on using MPC-HC 32-bit because of this. I'll be patient though and hopefully Madshi will have a version of MadVR with working subs for other players. for trying to help.
Both up to date and screwed, aren't those two mutually exclusive? So, you are not doing any critical work on your system if you are willing to run with a broken system. That leaves out only laziness... but let's not awake the beast. Are you familiar with the method of "Repair Install"? Please read about it, it's fast.

If I were you, I would:
1. mpc-hc.exe Properties, Compatibility tab, uncheck all. Click Change settings for all users, uncheck all. Task Scheduler, Task Scheduler Library, Actions - delete any with mpc-hc.exe.
2. test the legacy mpc-hc If that works, it must be a SSE/DEP problem:
- find an old mpc-hc.exe MSVC2008 build
- try to disable DEP on the latest build, put a copy of mpc-hc.exe and the nxtoggle script in a writable directory, launch the script. Test the resulting _mpc-hc.exe.
3. uncheck all external codecs, dxva internal codecs, use VMR (windowed) renderer and EVR (not custom) and last madVR
- uninstall/use tool/manually regsvr32 -u any third-party directshow filters like ffdshow(it looks like it is inserting debug output even if it's disabled in the player, but I guess it's safe), Cyberlink (some versions memory leak on play if DXVA mode is selected with non-DXVA renderer like VMR9 on Vista+), DScaler Mpeg2 (known DEP incompatible), ArcSoft(issues with the licensing driver)...etc.
4. unlikely issue with directx: install Directx SDK. The redistributable included with it it's guaranteed to update files. In DirectX Utilities find DirectX Control Panel tool - on the Direct3D 9 tab of it, check Use Debug Version of... and put Debug Output Level slider to 3rd step. Launch DebugView. Launch mpc-hc. Save the log. Restore DirectX defaults. Post debugview log, dxdiag and dxdiag-x64 report.
5. give up, knowing I have at least tried...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1 View Post
My setting:
Get A screenshot software ASAP!

Quote:
Oh well. Until now I've refused to disable it because IMHO the network stuff doesn't do any damage, so adding an option to disable it makes the user interface more complicated without any benefit. But then, since it's you who's asking, I guess I'll have to change my mind...
Having it off by default it's about TRUST. And that's a far more deal-breaking factor than subtitle support

Last edited by bobdynlan; 20th March 2011 at 17:39.
bobdynlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 18:00   #6151  |  Link
someone`

I have a problem with subtitle . Sometimes when start playing the video , subtitle doesn't appear , I need to rewind/forward to make it appear .
mpc-hc 2990 x86 MSVC2010 , madVR 0.45 , Haali , CoreAVC .
someone` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 18:03   #6152  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone` View Post
I have a problem with subtitle . Sometimes when start playing the video , subtitle doesn't appear , I need to rewind/forward to make it appear .
mpc-hc 2990 x86 MSVC2010 , madVR 0.45 , Haali , CoreAVC .
Thats another issue I have seen also. Have you had the issue I have had where the subtitles go out os sync after seeking sometimes?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 18:05   #6153  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
It would be very much appreciated, specially if the option could also be off by default. I always try to help make things as idiot proof as possible so that novice users can also use it. Some people can get really paranoid when their firewall detects something. madVR is a very promising project and it would be a pity to see its reputation hurt by people who say it "phones home" or is some kind of trojan. That is why it would recommend enabling it only when a user actually want to make use of it. It is a nice feature, but I can imagine that only a small group of expert users use it.

It would also be cool if you could add some more details to common error messages like the "Direct3D device failed". Experience (with e.g. EVR CP) shows that there are plenty of people who don't understand the (origin of the) error, which complicates in solving it (by changing renderer or settings). Just brain-storming here. Maybe add something like: "The madVR video renderer failed. Possible reasons: - GPU is not DX9 compatible, - Insufficient GPU memory, - Graphics driver is not compatible. Please report if you need assistance."

I assume that madVR are has some code to detect details about the graphics hardware such as brand and amount of memory? It would be cool if madVR could adjust its initial settings based on that info (if it doesn't already). For example setting Bilinear for Intel chips.

What is the minimum required Shader Model? 2.0?
Old 20th March 2011, 18:11   #6154  |  Link
clsid

@fairchild
Another cause of MPC not working can be virus-scanners and other security software. For example Kaspersky often has trouble with MPC.
Does it also fail if you simply double-click on mpc-hc.exe, so not opening a file from explorer?
Have you tried moving mpc-hc.exe to another location and renaming it?
Old 20th March 2011, 18:26   #6155  |  Link
v0lt

@madshi
I was asked to report a bug:
Quote:
If you run a file saved in the player stopping point, the subtitles are starting to go from the beginning.
MPC-НС 1.5.2.2990

Last edited by v0lt; 20th March 2011 at 19:14.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 18:50   #6156  |  Link
DigitalLF

Quote:
I highly doubt that those people who miss that part will read the frontpage...
haha true...
Old 20th March 2011, 19:14   #6157  |  Link
Hypernova

@Rain1: You should choose madVR in MPC-HC output setting and not external filter. That actually prevent you from using external VSFilter as far as I know, but it may help in this case as well.

Quote:
I can reproduce it - yey! Finally a problem I can reproduce...
Yey
Old 20th March 2011, 20:08   #6158  |  Link
thuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Thats another issue I have seen also. Have you had the issue I have had where the subtitles go out os sync after seeking sometimes?
Seems like we have the same issues, I have both, on Win7 64bit SP1 with nvidia.
Old 20th March 2011, 20:23   #6159  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuan View Post
Seems like we have the same issues, I have both, on Win7 64bit SP1 with nvidia.
What nvidia driver version are you using and what gfx card?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 20:37   #6160  |  Link
thuan

The one in my sig with 267.24 driver.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling