Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th July 2014, 13:19   #26921  |  Link
huhn

as far as i know repeated or dropped frame forced by vsync are not shown in the OSD.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 18:27   #26922  |  Link
Mark Regalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
as far as i know repeated or dropped frame forced by vsync are not shown in the OSD.
How can we solve problems related to vsync dropped/repeated frames if it's not shown in the OSD? Thanks.
Mark Regalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 18:30   #26923  |  Link
huhn

SM or match your frame rate. custom resolutions is a possibility too.
Old 17th July 2014, 17:10   #26924  |  Link
Xaurus

Hi Guys,

I've changed my HTPC from this:
Silverstone GD08B/Intel 2120T/Noctua NH-U9BSE2/Asus P8H67-M Pro/Corsair XMS 2x2GB/Samsung 830 256 GB/7x2TB HDD/Asus GTX 660/Seasonic X-400 to the setup currently in my signature.

So my question is, is there somewhere in this massive thread there is a good explanation of NNEDI and frame doubling and stuff like that?

With my previous setup I used Jinc 3 tap but now I am not sure what is optimal with the considerably more powerful GTX 770.

Thanks.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:08   #26925  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
So my question is, is there somewhere in this massive thread there is a good explanation of NNEDI and frame doubling and stuff like that?

With my previous setup I used Jinc 3 tap but now I am not sure what is optimal with the considerably more powerful GTX 770.

Thanks.
Opinions are varied on the usefulness of NNEDI3 in its three enable-able areas as well as what settings to use.

I have NNEDI3 enabled for Luma image doubling, and have it set to 16 neurons since I can see a difference in anti-aliasing when I have it enabled compared to disabled, but I don't see a difference between 16 neurons and any of the higher settings with the content I watch. Some may recommend you use more neurons, but I say you decide that for yourself. Play a video, pause it, switch between the different settings (clicking apply after each) and see if you notice a change in picture quality for the better. If you do - use the new setting, but if not leave it at the lower setting and use those resources elsewhere.

madshi has said that he found during his testing that chroma doubling didn't have a significant effect, and was a huge hit on performance. As a result he doesn't recommend using it.

As far as chroma upscaling by NNEDI3 goes I don't notice any significant improvement using it over Jinc in the videos I watch, but again you can switch back and forth between the two while watching your videos and see if you see a difference. Another thing I noticed about NNEDI3 when used for chroma upscaling is that it can have a big hit to rendering speed even when it shouldn't be doing much (like if your playing a 1920x1080 video on a 1920x1080 screen. I posted the below on a different forum where I am attempting to help them determine presets for a codec pack that includes madVR using NNEDI3 options to be preset in their setup:

Code:
(1):
chroma upscaling -jinc 3 taps
luma double - always if upscaling is needed - 16 neurons
image upscaling - bilinear
downscaling - catmull-rom

(2):
chroma upscaling -jinc
image upscaling - jinc

(3):
chroma upscaling -jinc
luma double - always if upscaling is needed - 32 neurons

(4):
chroma upscaling -jinc
image upscaling - jinc

(5):
chroma upscaling -NNEDI3 - 16 neurons

(6):

(7):
chroma upscaling -NNEDI3 - 32 neurons

For people who mainly watch 480p videos the fastest order would probably be (fastest listed first, slowest last) option 1, 3, 5, 2, 7, 4, then 6.

480p video render speeds
option #1: 10ms
option #2: 20ms
option #3: 16ms
option #4: 23ms
option #5: 18ms
option #6: 25ms
option #7: 21ms

720p video render speeds
option #1: 22ms
option #2: 29ms
option #3: 27ms
option #4: 31ms
option #5: 31ms
option #6: 35ms
option #7: 33ms

1080p video render speeds
option #1: 7.5ms
option #2: 7.5ms
option #3: 9ms
option #4: 8.6ms
option #5: 24ms
option #6: 24ms
option #7: 34ms
As you can see with the 1080p video tests options 5,6,& 7 which use NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling take four times longer to render then Jinc 3 tap (options 1,2,3, and 4).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 17th July 2014 at 21:10.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 00:00   #26926  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Another thing I noticed about NNEDI3 when used for chroma upscaling is that it can have a big hit to rendering speed even when it shouldn't be doing much (like if your playing a 1920x1080 video on a 1920x1080 screen.
Actually chroma upscaling should be doing exactly the same work when playing a 1920x1080 video on a 1920x1080 screen as it would with any other resolution screen.

The chroma is 1/2 the resolution of luma in both directions (4:2:0). You need to resize it to match the luma before converting to RGB. This means that chroma scaling is always used and is independent of the output resolution.

This idea seems to be hard for some:
There are three image planes for a color image. On a bluray the black and white information (luma, Y) is stored at 1920x1080. Color information is stored as two 960x540 images (chroma, U & V or Cb & Cr). One needs to resize the two 960x540 images to match the 1920x1080 luma before converting to RGB.

This resize happens before anything else madVR does and it almost always needs to be done (it is only not needed when watching a 4:4:4 or RGB video).
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 02:45   #26927  |  Link
tjcinnamon

Settings to convert 4:4:4 RGB

Are there particular settings I need to set to get 4:4:4 RGB. My videos are always at 4:2:0.

Is that due to panel constraints?
tjcinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 09:53   #26928  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Are there particular settings I need to set to get 4:4:4 RGB. My videos are always at 4:2:0.

Is that due to panel constraints?
madVR always outputs 8-bit RGB, no setting needed. RGB cannot have subsampled color (Red, Green, Blue) so 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 do not apply.

Your display might do anything to the RGB or your GPU might convert to YCbCr if set to.
Old 18th July 2014, 17:33   #26929  |  Link
tjcinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
madVR always outputs 8-bit RGB, no setting needed. RGB cannot have subsampled color (Red, Green, Blue) so 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 do not apply.

Your display might do anything to the RGB or your GPU might convert to YCbCr if set to.
Doesn't MadVR show the output of the video in the statistics and not the displays output?

Meaning that if it says 4:2:0 -> 4:2:0 that is what my receiver is getting and if I changed a setting to 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 or RGB then even if my display downconverted it wouldn't matter due to MadVR only record what's it output is?
Old 18th July 2014, 17:41   #26930  |  Link
detmek

MadVR always outputs RGB. 4:2:0 -> 4:2:0 is decoder output.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 18:08   #26931  |  Link
johnniedoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Opinions are varied on the usefulness of NNEDI3 in its three enable-able areas as well as what settings to use.

I have NNEDI3 enabled for Luma image doubling, and have it set to 16 neurons since I can see a difference in anti-aliasing when I have it enabled compared to disabled, but I don't see a difference between 16 neurons and any of the higher settings with the content I watch. Some may recommend you use more neurons, but I say you decide that for yourself. Play a video, pause it, switch between the different settings (clicking apply after each) and see if you notice a change in picture quality for the better. If you do - use the new setting, but if not leave it at the lower setting and use those resources elsewhere.

madshi has said that he found during his testing that chroma doubling didn't have a significant effect, and was a huge hit on performance. As a result he doesn't recommend using it.

As far as chroma upscaling by NNEDI3 goes I don't notice any significant improvement using it over Jinc in the videos I watch, but again you can switch back and forth between the two while watching your videos and see if you see a difference. Another thing I noticed about NNEDI3 when used for chroma upscaling is that it can have a big hit to rendering speed even when it shouldn't be doing much (like if your playing a 1920x1080 video on a 1920x1080 screen. I posted the below on a different forum where I am attempting to help them determine presets for a codec pack that includes madVR using NNEDI3 options to be preset in their setup:

Code:
(1):
chroma upscaling -jinc 3 taps

(2):
chroma upscaling -jinc
image upscaling - jinc

(3):
chroma upscaling -jinc

(4):
chroma upscaling -jinc
image upscaling - jinc

(5):

(6):

(7):
chroma upscaling -NNEDI3 - 32 neurons

For people who mainly watch 480p videos the fastest order would probably be (fastest listed first, slowest last) option 1, 3, 5, 2, 7, 4, then 6.

480p video render speeds
option #1: 10ms
option #2: 20ms
option #3: 16ms
option #4: 23ms
option #5: 18ms
option #6: 25ms
option #7: 21ms

720p video render speeds
option #1: 22ms
option #2: 29ms
option #3: 27ms
option #4: 31ms
option #5: 31ms
option #6: 35ms
option #7: 33ms

1080p video render speeds
option #1: 7.5ms
option #2: 7.5ms
option #3: 9ms
option #4: 8.6ms
option #5: 24ms
option #6: 24ms
option #7: 34ms
As you can see with the 1080p video tests options 5,6,& 7 which use NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling take four times longer to render then Jinc 3 tap (options 1,2,3, and 4).
I appreciate the details -particularly rendering times viz a viz each config.
Very helpful despite different set ups we have. It is good to see what others may experience with their trial and error techniques.
I do precisely the same thing with my videos though any 1920x1080 movies I watch I sometimes just use x64 MPC-BE svn and custom renderer. I find that MadVr offers fantastic PQ enhancement with my favorite types of old b&w videos, color,too, though I watch them with far less frequency just because there were fewer made. I am new to using MadVr and MPC-BE together so still limited in my scope. Never used this combo on any BD disc or iso, not even the mkv versions i make. not yet.
Thanks again for the information
John
Old 18th July 2014, 18:19   #26932  |  Link
tjcinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmek View Post
MadVR always outputs RGB. 4:2:0 -> 4:2:0 is decoder output.
Ahhhhh... So is there a way to increase the decoder output? I checked LAV and I have everything set.

So madvr outputs RGB and LAV is down converting it (for some reason)
Old 18th July 2014, 18:30   #26933  |  Link
huhn

no BD/DVD is RGB and Lavfilter doesn't down convert with a normal source.
Old 18th July 2014, 18:34   #26934  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Ahhhhh... So is there a way to increase the decoder output? I checked LAV and I have everything set.

The decoder (LAV) ALWAYS comes before the video renderer (madVR). That's basic to understanding how things work.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 18:46   #26935  |  Link
tjcinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
The decoder (LAV) ALWAYS comes before the video renderer (madVR). That's basic to understanding how things work.
How can I make these stats: http://i.imgur.com/bdjT3.jpg

look like these stats: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ScreenCut2.png

Or is that not possible?
Old 18th July 2014, 18:53   #26936  |  Link
huhn

this stats says that the source is 8 bit 4:2:0 is send as NV12

the screen from the 2nd screen is a wrong setup and not worth achieving.
Old 18th July 2014, 20:56   #26937  |  Link
Asmodian

Right, the second screen is doing a lower quality conversion to RGB in LAV instead of letting madVR do it.
Old 18th July 2014, 22:33   #26938  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Right, the second screen is doing a lower quality conversion to RGB in LAV instead of letting madVR do it.
Not even in LAV, but in ffdshow... and I find it interesting that madVR specifies that the fullrange information comes not from upstream, but specifically from ffdshow, too.
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 22:53   #26939  |  Link
detmek

Quote:

Yes, but don't do that. madVR does better job converting YV12 or other formats to RGB.

As already explaind, playback chain goes: splitter > decoder > render.

So, let the LAV Splitter and LAV Decoder decode your file without any conversion (YV12 to NV12 is not conversion, those are same format, different order) and madVR do any scaling and colorspace conversion.

Don't try to overcomplicate things. Just because something looks messy and complicated (most online tutorials) does not make it better.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 15:14   #26940  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmek View Post
Yes, but don't do that. madVR does better job converting YV12 or other formats to RGB.

As already explaind, playback chain goes: splitter > decoder > render.

So, let the LAV Splitter and LAV Decoder decode your file without any conversion (YV12 to NV12 is not conversion, those are same format, different order) and madVR do any scaling and colorspace conversion.
So, what are you advocating? That he/she go into LAV video decoder and uncheck all the RGB options, so that LAV doesn't convert anything to RGB?

Quote:
How can I make these stats: http://i.imgur.com/bdjT3.jpg

look like these stats: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ScreenCut2.png

Or is that not possible?
I didn't view your second file, but theoretically if you want your 4:2:0 videos to be converted to 4:4:4 videos you could go into LAV video decoder, and uncheck all the output formats except for the 4:4:4 ones. It will not necessary lead to a better picture (it might under some circumstances), and it will use LAV to do conversion (which some people here don't like). Regardless you could test with it, and see if you notice any change in quality (good or bad). While you're in LAV video decoder proprieties you could also change RGB output levels to Untouched which would eliminate LAV as a conversion factor for that if nothing else.

If you're concerned that your colors look washed out in your videos you can experiment with adding the 16-235 to 0-255 [SD][HD] to active shaders in MPC under options -> Playback -> Shaders. Some people don't like it feeling that they loose some of their descreet greys while others feel it adds vibrancy.

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 19th July 2014 at 16:45.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling