Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th August 2003, 12:13   #61  |  Link
dvdshrink

Quote:
The problem is I CAN'T DO , a deep analysis of the movie, the button is greyed in the REAUTHOR WINDOW and in THE BACK UP WINDOWS
If the button is grayed out, it means the movie has already been fully analysed.

Basically, it doesn't matter when you do the analysis:

If you analyse the whole disk, and then re-author a title, the analysis results will carry into the re-authored title.

If you re-author first, and subsequently analyse the re-authored titles, then the results of that analysis will also go back into the original full disk (if that window is still open).

DVD Shrink is aware that analysis results are valuable, since they take a long time to generate. It has a lot of internal logic which ensures you never need to analyse the same parts of the dvd more than once, even if you have titles open in several re-author windows.

Note also that if you cancel analysis, then results will be saved up to the point where you cancelled. The next time you do deep analysis on the same dvd, it will continue from the point where you cancelled (even if you exit dvd shrink and restart the next day).

Last edited by dvdshrink; 10th August 2003 at 12:22.
dvdshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 12:20   #62  |  Link
Fat Bast'rd

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdshrink
DVD Shrink is aware that analysis results are valuable, since they take a long time to generate. It has a lot of internal logic which ensures you never need to analyse the same parts of the dvd more than once, even if you have titles open in several re-author windows.

This stumped me for a while as it seemed too good to be true, but it is very well written. Congrats!
Old 10th August 2003, 12:22   #63  |  Link
brush

Thanks for your reply mr shrink

Do I have to analyse deeply twice a film , this mean before and during the encode process , according to you ?

By the way look at Mr gillespie post here and my question

http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...9352#post99352

Last edited by brush; 10th August 2003 at 12:27.
brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 12:38   #64  |  Link
unixfs

Quote:
Sounds like a bug... can you send a screenshot?
It seems I can't post attachments.

Anyways, when I set in the preferences "Desired DVD size" to 2200 MB the automatic value is 41% (exceeding the size), if I set it to DVD-5 it raises to 59%;

in any case the smallest value of Ratio I can choose is 41%, while I
want to set it so that the resulting image size is 2200 MB (so a size reduction of 67%).

Thanks very much.

Last edited by unixfs; 10th August 2003 at 13:01.
unixfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 14:16   #65  |  Link
The Belgain

First of all, really nice program DVDShrink! I've just done a couple of backups with it and the quality is not bad, and the simplicity and speed are great.

One feature request though: would it be possible to have an option for resizing to 1/2 D1 res (ie CVD res)? This would be especially useful to get the credits down to a small enough size while not resorting to a slideshow. Is it possible for a transcoder to change the res of a video stream (in this case a nice simple resize - half horizontal res)?
The Belgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 14:21   #66  |  Link
dvdshrink

Transcoders can, in theory, change the video size - however this is beyond the capability of dvd shrink engine!

About the custom slider not going below some percentage: this would be the minimum percentage (maximum compression) that dvd shrink transcode engine can get out of the original video. This value is determined during analysis. Your target size was just too small (or the dvd too big, whichever way you look at it).
Old 10th August 2003, 14:54   #67  |  Link
The Belgain

Are there any standard presets about giving priority to the quality of the main movie rather than the credits? On the test I did the compression percentages were about the same for the main movie and for the credits (though maybe this is partly becuase the credits are smaller on the original DVD).

I think many people would rather sacrifice some quality on the credits in order to make the main movie have better quality.

edit: does that mean there are currently no plans to add resizing to DVDShrink? Do *any* of the transcoders have the ability to resize?
Old 10th August 2003, 14:59   #68  |  Link
dvdshrink

Automatic mode sets everything to roughly even quality... the %values may be slightly different for each item, but this is based on the maximum compressability of each respective item.

If you want to set priorities, you will need to override with a custom ratio setting. The easiest way is to leave the main movie in "Automatic" and set the extras to minimum custom ratio.
Old 10th August 2003, 15:07   #69  |  Link
The Belgain

Ok thanks, that's what I did on my last one.
Old 10th August 2003, 16:03   #70  |  Link
Yannis

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Bast'rd
It's a transcoder, not an encoder. VBR or CBR is done when encoding.
Yes this is known!

By VBR it was (freely(BR?!)) meant to remove an amount of information variable with each frame (like IC) and not constant throughout the stream. Thsi woudl produce an even better quality.

dvdshrink is a really amazing tool and as I said in the previous page, if this is done in some next version it will be "unique" outstripping thus any competition (mind that the word "competition" was never the author's intent!!! he does not even accept donations !?!? )
Old 10th August 2003, 16:03   #71  |  Link
Fat Bast'rd

Quote:
If you want to set priorities, you will need to override with a custom ratio setting. The easiest way is to leave the main movie in "Automatic" and set the extras to minimum custom ratio.
But we can only do that in Re-author mode. Would be really nice to have that ability in Full Disk mode. (And to splice segments as well).

"I'm higher up the food chain than you, now get in ma belly...."

Last edited by Fat Bast'rd; 10th August 2003 at 16:15.
Fat Bast'rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 16:14   #72  |  Link
Fat Bast'rd

Quote:
Originally posted by Yannis
By VBR it was (freely(BR?!)) meant to remove an amount of information variable with each frame (like IC) and not constant throughout the stream. Thsi woudl produce an even better quality.

Surely it would produce an uneven looking movie. Some frames would look great, and others might be pixellated (given that movies are already encoded with VBR). How would you determine which frames got more bits, and which got less? I don't see how the concept of VBR can be applied to transcoding (except as has been suggested by manually noting where the credits begin and telling the engine to change its compression ratio to something else - that's not hard I'm sure. But to try and create in - one step - from CBR to an automatic function that does this, is rather foolhardy IMO - and probably couldn't be called VBR either).

Am I talking sense, or is my Fat Arse spouting liquid digested nutrional products?

Last edited by Fat Bast'rd; 10th August 2003 at 16:44.
Fat Bast'rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 17:24   #73  |  Link
Yannis

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Bast'rd
[....] How would you determine which frames got more bits, and which got less? [....] telling the engine to change its compression ratio to something else [....].
Check the thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58964 where some explanations are given as to how transcoders work. IC uses some heuristics to remove different data from different frames. In any case, I am sure this is coming later in dvdshrink ; its brilliant author has proved that he can do anything and has enough imagination to do even better heuristics than IC
Old 10th August 2003, 17:25   #74  |  Link
dvdshrink

DVD Shrink 3.0 is already a fully VBR transcoder <if> you do a deep analysis before backup.

If you just do quick analysis, then it is still VBR, but no guarantee that the chosen bitrate is the most suitable for any given point in the movie.
Old 10th August 2003, 17:57   #75  |  Link
daehkcid

DVDShrink Beta 3 : http://www.dvdshrink.org/misc/dvdshrink30beta3.zip
daehkcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 18:01   #76  |  Link
mikegun
one inch man

thread is here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59237

mike
Old 10th August 2003, 23:35   #77  |  Link
sdionne

I'm not sure if this feature is done in DVDShrink, but I should have a multipass option like IC7.

I'm pretty sure that the quality will increase, and the time to rip the dvd too.. but if the user want quality over speed.. go.

DVDShrink 2.3 give a good quality video.. but often lot of macroblock in the anime movie. CCE is the best for that... but I'm not able to recreate the menu because there is layer break in the DVD... for now I was stuck with DVDXcopy because IC7 crash since the last update on my PC

I'll give a try to the 3.0 version, but will it be hard to add the multi-pass feature ?
sdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 23:50   #78  |  Link
daxab

Need to "Get VTS sectors"

I notice with 3.0 beta 1 that the resultant files appear to have incorrect "VTS sectors". This is easily fixed in IFOEdit etc. but I thought I would mention this.

Edit: Never mind; this appears to be fixed in 3.0 beta 3.

Last edited by daxab; 11th August 2003 at 01:45.
daxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 08:40   #79  |  Link
mikelanj

dvdshrink, thank you for such a amazing program. my problem with 3.0Beta1 is; i backup my Pulp Fiction DVD.i just leave DTS audio track and remove dolby digital 5.1.normally with older versions with dvdshrink DTS track become default audio track. but when i playback dvd in dvd player there was no sound. i change the audio track 2 with my remote control and can hear DTS. in screen display track 1 displays dolby digital 5.1? its a small problem but i would like to inform you. meanwhile picture quality is awesome. thank you again. (sorry for my poor english.)
mikelanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 10:40   #80  |  Link
The Belgain

Yup, I have exactly the same problem. I removed the French DD5.1 track from the Matrix DVD (which is the default track), and when the DVD starts playing I get no sound unless I manually change it to English.