Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 9th August 2003, 19:30   #21  |  Link
mrbass

when Automatic is set shouldn't the greenbar go down when one unchecks audio like No Compression, Ratio and Still Pictures do?

ok instead of making it clickable that IFCC how about just so it's selectable text so one can copy and paste it.
Old 9th August 2003, 20:00   #22  |  Link
dvdshrink

Anything set to "Automatic" will try to fill all available space so the target size is fit exactly.

If you disable an audio stream, video set to "automatic" will adjust its ratio accordingly to fill the space you created... thus the green bar does not appear to move, if a fit was made, but you will see the %video compression values updated in the streams view.

Anything NOT set to automatic, should remain as you last set it.

Generally, the only reason for using custom "Ratio" rather than "Automatic" would be if you wanted more control over the distribution - e.g. greater compress the extras, etc.
dvdshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 20:07   #23  |  Link
Bear263

DVDShrink, I think you have done a hell of a job. My thanks go out to you.
Bear263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 20:15   #24  |  Link
Antonio S.

@dvdshrink:

Would it be possible to add a "burning" feature?
Antonio S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 20:22   #25  |  Link
MackemX
..DVD GOD..

Quote:
Originally posted by zeronegative
(and, if possible, DVD Shrink can be maximized to use it fullscreen)
you can manually resize it to full screen but it distorts the preview screen

to fix it just drag the top & left of the preview window to resize it so it's back to normal ratio

I guess this is the best way for now until a full screen is available

a good thing is it that remembers what your last screen layout was

Last edited by MackemX; 9th August 2003 at 20:25.
MackemX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 20:45   #26  |  Link
SirCentipede

I just tested the new DVDshrink 3.0 beta on 24 Season 1, Disc 1 (RC2, 4 episodes, no extras no foreign languages 6,93 GB), because i did it last night with IC7 (my tool of choice when doing mulit episode discs) and wanted to compare the results to DVDshrink 3.0.

I must admit that multi-episodes are difficult for every transcoder and 24 is especially difficult, because you can't erase extras or foreign languages. Both IC7 and DVDshrink 3.0 transcoded everything at round about 60%, it's a value where you can expect macroblocks and artifacts. So here is my very personal opinion comparing the results:

DVDshrink 3.0 really impressed me on this one in comparison to older versions of shrink. I did a deep analysis of the DVD and it only took 25 min. to analyse and another 25 min. to transcode, which is pretty fast for the quality you get afterwords. I think in this version shrink is nearly on par with IC7 regarding picture quality.

Both seem to be equally sharp and there is virtually no difference to my eyes between the original and the transcoded movie.

IMHO DVDshrink 3.0 handles slow scenes slightly better than IC7, the picture is smoother, because IC7 tends to produce more artifacts in the transcoded movie.

On 60% compression there are some blocks in both transcoded movies, although IMHO IC7 handles action scenes better, but DVDshrink 3.0 definatly improved compared to 2.3.

But I'm a little bit irritated by the fact that DVDshrink desaturated the picture slightly, while IC7 has nearly the same saturation as the original. You won't notice this when you just watch the movie and don't do picture comparison (I would like to show some snapshots i did, but i don't have a host to put them on, sorry).

THE advantage Shrink has compared to IC7 is the user interface, the ability to rip (3.0 even with removal of RCE protection) and last but not least it's its speed: you put a DVD in your DVD-Rom and you'll have a transcoded movie with very good picture quality in about 50 min. (with deep analysis) ready to burn.

To sum it all up i really like the improvements on DVDshrink 3.0, especially the "auto fit-DVD feature", the "custom ratio slider", the ability to remove RCE in this new version and the possibility to choose between normal and deep analysis.

So I think that i can live without IC7 if i must to, but definatly not without DVDshrink 3.0, although I'm happy to have both in order to decide which one is suited better for a given movie.

P.S.: I hope the desaturation issue is solved in the final version of DVDshrink 3.0.
SirCentipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 22:46   #27  |  Link
Exo

A little bug

I wasn't able to put unreferenced material
via re-authoring onto a new disk. You just
can't drag and drop such items and when
right-clicking on it the copy option is
greyed out.

Nevertheless great work, dude!

Last edited by Exo; 10th August 2003 at 08:04.
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 23:20   #28  |  Link
Protosstic

Only thing it needs now is VBR encoding.
Protosstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 23:32   #29  |  Link
Yannis

Well... if VBR (pretty much like in the IC sense) is implemented, I am not sure why the all the other products should continue to exist

A remarkable tool for free!!!
Old 10th August 2003, 00:52   #30  |  Link
brush

Hi mr dvd shrink

Thank u for your huge work

Just a question about ANALYSIS

IN REAUTHOR MODE
should we analyse the movie twice before and during the compression process in order to get the best image quality ?
brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 01:48   #31  |  Link
tumbar
the "Master's" apprentice

Mr. DVDShrink

Thanks for all your efforts. This version best of all. Great tool.

Hats off to you sir!

regards

What are you doing with your DASH?
tumbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 01:55   #32  |  Link
luphy

On load-up, the program will do a basic analysis of the movie. If you choose to do a deep analysis after that, before you press the Backup button, it will then do a thorough analysis. Then when you go to do the backup, the option to do a deep analysis should be greyed out because you've already done the deep analysis.
luphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 02:14   #33  |  Link
Daether

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdshrink
And... I have just found a bug in re-author, which does not entirely remove all disabled streams.
That's why its a beta ;-)
hehe, I guess I'll wait and try beta 2 then.
Nevertheless I'm grateful and impressed with all the new improvements and features.
I only wish I knew how you did it dvdshrink. =P
Cheers!
Daether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 02:17   #34  |  Link
mrbass

Quote:
Originally posted by luphy
On load-up, the program will do a basic analysis of the movie. If you choose to do a deep analysis after that, before you press the Backup button, it will then do a thorough analysis. Then when you go to do the backup, the option to do a deep analysis should be greyed out because you've already done the deep analysis.
that's true, however, the reason deep analysis is offered as an option by the backup is so you check it then say "Backup". That way you don't have to wait 20-30min for a deep analysis then press backup.
Old 10th August 2003, 02:18   #35  |  Link
corigan

Quote:
the idea of a payapal account has been brought up many times... but dvdshrink always keeps silent about it...
Thanks a ton for the release dvdshrink, looking forward to testing it out and of course future releases. I love this program and it is the transcoder I use by choice.

As for the paypal acct, maybe mr. dvdshrink is afraid that if he used a paypal acct his anonimity might be easier compromised, if that is what he is wishing to achieve.

Either way if there would be a way to do donations I for one would glady donate, but appreciate all the work he puts into this great program even if he doesn't want donations, we can all give him our praise and thanks.

Corigan
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 02:26   #36  |  Link
Dilberto

Very seldom I post my comments, but this time I can't avoid it.

To DVDSHRINK 3.0 I can only say:

Arigato DvdShrink-San !!!
Dilberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 02:45   #37  |  Link
papillon

brush wrote:
"IN REAUTHOR MODE
should we analyse the movie twice before and during the compression process in order to get the best image quality ?"

I am finding the same in "backup mode".
Went through the fast analysis when the disk was opened, now Shrink is doing two 40min analysis. One for 3.8gb main movie title set and one for the 3.4gb extra title set. The movie is "To Kill a Mockingbird" and the extra title set is the director and actor's visual commentary, located in the main movie title set 2. This scenario may also apply to a disc with both full and widescreen versions.
Is this intentional....?

Anyway great job on v3.0

Last edited by papillon; 10th August 2003 at 03:07.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 03:16   #38  |  Link
luphy

Papillon,

What happens if you choose deep analysis BEFORE you go into the Backup window? Does it take just 40 minutes to do the entire disc or does it take longer? I have not done any backups with more than one titleset yet with ver3beta. That is a good question you have.

I'm glad DVDShrink added the autoshutdown option now that Shrink has the longer Deep analysis option.

I'm gonna have to use the program a bit longer cuz I'm having a hard time coming up with any suggestions. :-) I actually like to review the results of the transcoding before I burn to a disc so I don't really have use for all-in-one rip/transcode/burn programs. There's always AutoShrink and ImgTool for those wanting that I guess.
Cheers to DVDShrink for implementing all the requests from his loyal but annoying fans!
luphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 03:25   #39  |  Link
papillon

luphy
Just tried what you suggested, and seems to be doing the same 40+40min
analysis. I don't really have time to keep an eye on it now. But I am going to try a disc with both full and widescreen versions to see what happens.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 04:12   #40  |  Link
shrinkran

I love DVD SHRINK.That's why i became SHRINKRAN.
shrinkran is offline   Reply With Quote