Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th November 2010, 22:52   #4941  |  Link
bur

Quote:
as reported by madVR in "movie resolution"
Where do I get that information? I checked in the tray icon and the MadVR settings but found nothing.
bur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 23:20   #4942  |  Link
TheElix

Will madVR ever by able to take screenshots somehow?
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 23:36   #4943  |  Link
Trigunflame

Alt+PrintScreen = Your Friend.
Trigunflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 23:37   #4944  |  Link
adam777

Quote:
Originally Posted by bur View Post
Where do I get that information? I checked in the tray icon and the MadVR settings but found nothing.
Both taken from CTRL+J
adam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 21:10   #4945  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
Alt+PrintScreen = Your Friend.
I get black screen with Alt+PrintScreen. With PrintScreen only I get a screenshot with windowed MPC-HC and task bar.

And even if it worked, what do you suggest? Pasting it in Paint and saving each and every screenshot, giving it a unique name and delaying the watch?
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 21:19   #4946  |  Link
dansrfe

he suggests it because there is simply no other alternative. you could try an easier method of capturing maybe using FastStone Capture (which is what I use) since it can predefine windowed areas and autosave. until madshi adds capture support this is a perfectly fine alternative.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 22:21   #4947  |  Link
janos666

You should disable the FS exclusive mode when you want to use the PrintScreen.
Did you try FRAPS? It should work on D3D surfaces as well.
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 09:51   #4948  |  Link
Peekstra

When I use tvlevels in madVR I get grey blacks although I would not expect this to happen with my configuration: beamer set to HDMI range normal (not expanded), MPC-HC render settings set to use tv levels, decoder (if setting available) configured to use tvlevels.

When I configure madVR to use PC levels the grey's become black again... is this correct?

Configuration: Windows 7 x86, Nvidia GT220, beamer connected as monitor 2 on extended desktop.
Peekstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 09:54   #4949  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekstra View Post
When I configure madVR to use PC levels the grey's become black again... is this correct?
With the PC levels setting, madVR expands from TV levels to PC, so that is correct.

My TV automatically expands TV levels to PC, so I use the TV levels setting so that it is not expanded by madVR.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 10:02   #4950  |  Link
Peekstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
With the PC levels setting, madVR expands from TV levels to PC, so that is correct.
But my whole setup is set to use tv levels so no expansion should be needed?
Old 30th November 2010, 10:04   #4951  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
But my whole setup is set to use tv levels so no expansion should be needed?
Your graphics card seems to be outputting PC levels, so you must expand from TV to PC to get black.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:13   #4952  |  Link
Peekstra

But when I use EVR instead of madVR, MPC-HC's tvlevels are used and the blacks are correct.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:21   #4953  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
But when I use EVR instead of madVR, MPC-HC's tvlevels are used and the blacks are correct.
If you mean 0-255 is selected for output range (in MPC-HC renderer options which only applies to EVR-CP and possibly EVR Sync and VMR9(renderless)), then that means it's being expanded.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:10   #4954  |  Link
Peekstra

No, I use the 16-235 output range (TV levels) with EVR-CP to get correct blacks. So it's strange that I need to use 0-255 levels in madVR when I leave all the other settings alone.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:23   #4955  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
No, I use the 16-235 output range (TV levels) with EVR-CP to get correct blacks. So it's strange that I need to use 0-255 levels in madVR when I leave all the other settings alone.
What happens if you change EVR-CP to 0-255? (on my PC with Intel graphics, regardless of option selected, levels are always expanded)

Also, might you happen to be using CoreAVC? (make sure that input and output are both set to TV levels, and none on "Auto detect")

Last edited by namaiki; 30th November 2010 at 12:43.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:36   #4956  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

how does it look when using other renderes, other than EVR and madVR? maybe EVR is wrong here?

and does this behaviour actually change when using 3dlut files for TV and PC levels?
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 13:27   #4957  |  Link
Peekstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
What happens if you change EVR-CP to 0-255? (on my PC with Intel graphics, regardless of option selected, levels are always expanded)

Also, might you happen to be using CoreAVC? (make sure that input and output are both set to TV levels, and none on "Auto detect")
I'll try the 0-255 setting, but it should give wrong levels when the beamer is set to HDMI range normal instead of expanded, right?

Quote:
how does it look when using other renderes, other than EVR and madVR? maybe EVR is wrong here?

and does this behaviour actually change when using 3dlut files for TV and PC levels?
I hope to be able to do some testing on both suggestions later this week.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:17   #4958  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I can also easily get 0.32 to freeze when looping an A/B section in exclusive mode w/ PotPlayer...but it never freezes w/ the debug version

After +10 loops, it freezes at the end of the loop and I have to kill PotPlayer from the task manager.
This could be due to a bug in PotP, I'll run more tests on my previously problematic files: http://www.sat-universe.com/showpost...0&postcount=45
Quote:
Fixed a problem where AB repeat display incorrectly
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 22:01   #4959  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:

Please be aware that madshi has (correctly) labelled the levels controls in reverse to everyone else.

I want my levels unmolested (no expansion, black at 16), so in madVR I pick "TV".

However if ffdshow was doing the conversion to RGB I would pick "PC Levels" in ffdshow.

Just pick the one that gives you the correct result and check for banding using a smooth ramp pattern.

Last edited by Mark_A_W; 1st December 2010 at 22:06.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:53   #4960  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
Please be aware that madshi has (correctly) labelled the levels controls in reverse to everyone else.

I want my levels unmolested (no expansion, black at 16), so in madVR I pick "TV".

However if ffdshow was doing the conversion to RGB I would pick "PC Levels" in ffdshow.

Just pick the one that gives you the correct result and check for banding using a smooth ramp pattern.
The expansion is quite nice actually but only if you have a high contrast monitor and no backlight bleeding like me. Twas horrible on my old monitor.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling