Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 25th December 2005, 21:05   #181  |  Link
stax76

Does anybody know what's the deal with syswow64, I'm using this code to determine the sys dir:

Code:
Environment.SystemDirectory
Old 25th December 2005, 21:58   #182  |  Link
Aladdin

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the lack of feedback means that people have very little trouble with using your app. I've started to use it instead of MeGUI for converting .avi to a format the iPod likes. Both apps work quite similarly, but I like the greater flexibility StaxRip offers. The iPod is extremely picky with encoder settings and your app allows a completely custom command line. The greater flexibility does make it a bit more difficult to figure out how it works, but only a bit.

I have only two small problems. I store a default target resolution and bitrate in the default project, but every time I open a new file these values are changed. There seems to be some logic behind it, but I'm not sure what that logic is. It's easy enough to reset the values to how I want them, but it is an extra step away from just "open file and press 'next' to encode" after having setup all the profiles.

Another problems doesn't seem to come from your app, but from avi2wav. It doesn't extract the VBR mp3 tracks from the avi files I have been transcoding. Extracting with virtualdub before opening the file in staxrip does make staxrip autoselect the mp3 file, but it would be nice to have it working without the extra step of virtualdub.

Apart from that, thank you for a very nice app
Old 25th December 2005, 23:19   #183  |  Link
Franky

I'm guessing the problem is that when Environment.SystemDirectory is called, it returns system32, since that is the correct system folder for 64-bit apps, and since StaxRip is using .NET 2, it in effect is a 64-bit app.
Old 25th December 2005, 23:43   #184  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I've started to use it instead of MeGUI for converting .avi to a format the iPod likes. Both apps work quite similarly, but I like the greater flexibility StaxRip offers. The iPod is extremely picky with encoder settings and your app allows a completely custom command line. The greater flexibility does make it a bit more difficult to figure out how it works, but only a bit.
Good to hear the CLI stuff works since I don't use it.

Quote:
I have only two small problems. I store a default target resolution and bitrate in the default project, but every time I open a new file these values are changed. There seems to be some logic behind it, but I'm not sure what that logic is. It's easy enough to reset the values to how I want them, but it is an extra step away from just "open file and press 'next' to encode" after having setup all the profiles.
Target resolution get adjusted when you use the option Auto Resize (Options/Automation) which is default (dunno what is more popular), I have it enabled.

Bitrate depend on the target lenght and size so the reason why it changes is the target length changes, the size stays. This might be a limitation, if you like we can examine it further, normally people aim for a file size while other (e.g. me) use quality mode (fixed quant), doesn't the iPod fit in traditional encoding methods?

Quote:
Another problems doesn't seem to come from your app, but from avi2wav. It doesn't extract the VBR mp3 tracks from the avi files I have been transcoding. Extracting with virtualdub before opening the file in staxrip does make staxrip autoselect the mp3 file, but it would be nice to have it working without the extra step of virtualdub.
It does extract the MP3 but as pseudo wav file, what is needed here is a cli demuxer and a command line to make it work, maybe somebody has a idea. Maybe even VirtualDub can be used as VD's CLI can pass args into scripts, maybe somebody can post a example.

I'm much interseted in sample clips other than PAL DVD/DVB btw. so if anybody has something that is not handled well please send it. I plan a auto deinterlace feature and could use some samples for that as well.

http://www.yousendit.com/

Quote:
I'm guessing the problem is that when Environment.SystemDirectory is called, it returns system32, since that is the correct system folder for 64-bit apps, and since StaxRip is using .NET 2, it in effect is a 64-bit app.
Do all the applications you want to control with StaxRip work if you use them manually?

Last edited by stax76; 25th December 2005 at 23:49.
Old 25th December 2005, 23:56   #185  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the lack of feedback means that people have very little trouble with using your app.
i agree, up tiil now i only had diffculty in creating DMF with xsubs and how to change audio bitrate(commandline)

On my first attempts with x264 i couldnt figure it out how to do it with MEGUI and with StaxRip it worked the first time(even i was surprised with it) every function was where it was supposed to be.

i think the lack of feedback means that users arent having problems with it!

In my opinion the new Encoder and Muxer selection menu are just right

Good Job Stax
Old 26th December 2005, 00:08   #186  |  Link
Franky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
Do all the applications you want to control with StaxRip work if you use them manually?
Yes, they all work absolutely no problem, since they are 32-bit and look in syswow64 for the dlls. I guess there should be some way to check both dirs for the dlls?
Old 26th December 2005, 02:58   #187  |  Link
TEB

Well this is my first venture into stax-encodings.. and i couldnt get my little HD-Mpeg2-ts --> HD.x264 project to work.. it ends at :

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at StaxRip.MP4BoxMuxer.Mux()
at StaxRip.MainForm.Encode()
at StaxRip.MainForm.bSkip_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

(it does all the ts demuxing and audio transcoding, and when its supposed to start encoding with x264 it blinks and goes back to the gui and says an error)

any idea?

And another thing: How does one really set a new target directory for the encodes, demuxing and so on? I click on the target directory option but i just get the current one up and i cannot select anything..

Last edited by TEB; 26th December 2005 at 12:51.
Old 26th December 2005, 12:44   #188  |  Link
Aladdin

Quote:
Target resolution get adjusted when you use the option Auto Resize (Options/Automation) which is default (dunno what is more popular), I have it enabled.
Ah, sorry, I was still using version 0.9.1.6 where the option to disable auto resize wasn't there yet. With it disabled it works nicely for me.

Quote:
Bitrate depend on the target lenght and size so the reason why it changes is the target length changes, the size stays.
Seems logical. I don't much care about the final size (within limits), but the reason I use bitrate instead of fixed quant is that the iPod has a hardware limited bitrate. I guess this is too much of a special case to implement a workflow for it. I'm not really bothered by the way it works now.

Quote:
It does extract the MP3 but as pseudo wav file
I know that is what it is supposed to do, but it didn't for the files I was transcoding. It does indeed for other files that I tried. The only difference between the files is that one contained a VBR mp3 track (didn't work) and the other a CBR mp3 track (no problems there). I can't share the files, but if further examination is needed, just ask.
Old 26th December 2005, 13:40   #189  |  Link
stax76

@TEB

I would need a bug report generated from StaxRip to find out why the x264 encoding failed. Didn't StaxRip offer to generate a bug report after the crash?

@Franky

I'll upload a hotfix later today.

@Aladdin

I'll look for a additional avi demuxer. Your source is a AVI file containing MP3 VBR and DivX/XviD?
Old 26th December 2005, 16:32   #190  |  Link
Aladdin

Quote:
@TEB
I'll look for a additional avi demuxer. Your source is a AVI file containing MP3 VBR and DivX/XviD?
Yep, that's right (XviD). I've looked for another CLI avi demuxer myself, but haven't found one that works under windows. I've also looked into VirtualDub, but it doesn't seem it's possible to add the 'Save WAV' option to a job list. So I don't think it is possible to use a script in VD from the command line. But I could be wrong, since I have no experience with VD scripting.
Old 26th December 2005, 18:17   #191  |  Link
TEB

stax, email sent.
Old 26th December 2005, 18:35   #192  |  Link
stax76

The scripting doc contains something which could be the thing we need:

Code:
void SaveWAV(string filename);		(VirtualDub 1.4d or later)

Runs the processing engine to produce an output file in WAV format.
I can give it a try but since when supports VD MP3 VBR?

Quote:
stax, email sent.
Thanks, I hope being able to code a little bit today, quite a bit posting (pm/mail/other boards...) going on today.
Old 26th December 2005, 20:36   #193  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Stax, new build looks good. Although I do agree with you that the interface is a bit complicated for newbies. Just depends on to what group you're gearing this app.
Old 27th December 2005, 00:01   #194  |  Link
Aladdin

Quote:
The scripting doc contains something which could be the thing we need:
Looks like it indeed.
Quote:
It doesn't. But just for demuxing no processing is done on the streams. For me, VD hasn't failed yet using this function. On the other hand, it might be quite a bit of overkill to use VD solely for demuxing an avi. But for now I can't think of an alternative.
Old 27th December 2005, 00:46   #195  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Quote:

Quote:
It doesn't.
i found this, dont know if it will help, just remembered about it.

VirtualDub with MP3 VBR support
Old 27th December 2005, 01:07   #196  |  Link
stax76

@TEB

You've selected Pass 3 in All Pass mode and this changed all passes to use pass 3. I've should disabled this option in All Pass mode.

Last edited by stax76; 27th December 2005 at 01:14.
Old 27th December 2005, 01:15   #197  |  Link
TEB

Hi. Im exatcly sure what u mean, i just turned on 3 passes to get the maximum quality
Old 27th December 2005, 09:33   #198  |  Link
fogbav

Excelent app ! Great ... exactly what a TS (DVB) to Format XXX needs ...8)

Thank you 4 this great app !

-EDIT- found the command line syntax for encoding ac3-> HE-AAC 5.1

(-core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -hybridgain ) -bsn( -6chnew -vbr_normal )

tnx

Is there a chance to do Cutting in Project X (GUI ?) as first step and then do the complete encoding process ? DVB Streams are not exactly recorded so i have to cut off leading commercials etc ...

Would be a nice feature .... 8)

Last edited by fogbav; 27th December 2005 at 11:43.
Old 27th December 2005, 11:43   #199  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Is there a chance to do Cutting in Project X (GUI ?) as first step and then do the complete encoding process ? DVB Streams are not exactly recorded so i have to cut off leading commercials etc ...
I don't think it's possible, you can of yourse use ProjectX by hand and then open the demuxed files.
Old 27th December 2005, 14:01   #200  |  Link
fogbav

Jup ... ok ... seems logical ...8)

First Rips are running ... perfect ... thank you very much again for this "heavy duty" App !
Go and sell it to Ahead so they know how "recode" can look like when its nearly perfect ..8)
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265