Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th November 2008, 17:29   #1  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Remove interlace flags from DVD

As the title says. Some PAL DVDs are 25FPS progressive, but flagged as interlaced. The goal is to remove those flags and make some nice 25p MKVs with them as backups. I've been searching for a program able to do this but with no success. Any suggestions?

That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 18:26   #2  |  Link

If it is encoded as interlaced, you can't just remove the flags and expect it to suddenly be encoded as progressive!
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 18:38   #3  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Can you tell me what is it then?:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KL16VLN0 (demuxed with DGIndex)

It's not necessary to apply deinterlacing to that source. MeGUI also detects it as progressive, despite the interlace flags.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.

Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 9th November 2008 at 18:42.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:34   #4  |  Link

You have progressive PAL content that has frame structure, and progressive_frame=0 on all frames.

progressive_frame specifies how the frame should be upsampled from YV12 to RGB (strictly, from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4).

Upsampling wrongly can lead to two possible artifacts: 1) DOI (Destruction Of Interlacing, or 2) CUE (Chroma Upsampling Error).

You can assess the result of upsampling by testing these two scripts:

MPEG2Source("VTS_01_3.demuxed.d2v")
converttorgb(interlaced=false) # simulates progressive_frame = 1

...and:

MPEG2Source("VTS_01_3.demuxed.d2v")
converttorgb(interlaced=true) # simulates progressive_frame = 0

In this case, CUE can be seen when upsampled as interlaced, and DOI does not apply because the content is progressive. So you can indeed benefit from upsampling progressively, instead of interlaced as signaled by the stream.

It would be possible to change the flags in this stream, but in general, you have to be careful because it can also affect other flags and how they are interpreted, such as pulldown. But here it could be done.

If you are transcoding, you can just avoid an upconversion to RGB, or, if that cannot be avoided, force the upsampling to be progressive as shown above.

This page has some more information you may find helpful:

http://neuron2.net/autoyuy2/autoyuy2.html

Restream can change the progressive_frame flag. Just open your file, click "Frametype progressive", and then "Write!".

Last edited by Guest; 9th November 2008 at 20:44.
Old 9th November 2008, 21:02   #5  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
As the title says. Some PAL DVDs are 25FPS progressive, but flagged as interlaced....
Indeed... This practise was far too common on older PAL DVD's.

What I don't understand is that even newer PAL DVD's, include a "Top Field First" "Picture Coding Extension" and not a "Progressive Sequence" "Sequence Extension": -

Why would this be?
Old 9th November 2008, 21:17   #6  |  Link

The TFF flag is there in the syntax, so it has to have a value of 0 or 1. It's irrelevant for progressive.

The progressive_sequence flag modifies the interpretation of pulldown flags, and so since there is no pulldown it, too, is irrelevant.
Old 9th November 2008, 21:29   #7  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Many thanks for the clarification Donald
Old 9th November 2008, 21:47   #8  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Interesting info, thanks! I didn't know Restream, that's one hell of a program. Very useful indeed. I've used:

"Frametype progressive" checked because this particular stream has progressive frames, to indicate that chroma upsampling has to be done talking it into account. In the case of an interlaced stream, this should be unchecked for the same reason.

"Progressive sequence" checked, some decoders interpret the stream as interlaced if this is not checked.

Using these options the stream is now perfect.

BTW do you know about any guide explaining MPEG-2 flags for dummies? H.264 would be nice too.

Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 9th November 2008 at 21:53.
Old 9th November 2008, 21:55   #9  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
Interesting info, thanks! I didn't know Restream, that's one hell of a program. Very useful indeed. I've used:

"Frametype progressive" checked because this particular stream has progressive frames, to indicate that chroma upsampling has to be done talking it into account. In the case of an interlaced stream, this should be unchecked for the same reason.

"Progressive sequence" checked, some decoders interpret the stream as interlaced if this is not checked.

Using these options the stream is now perfect.

BTW do you know about any guide explaining MPEG-2 flags for dummies?
You're clearly not a dummy, so I point you here:

http://neuron2.net/library/mpeg2/iso13818-2.pdf

Use the search function giving it the desired flag name:

progressive_frame
progressive_sequence
Old 10th November 2008, 19:41   #10  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Thanks neuron, questions solved. I'll look for the H.264 specification now
Old 10th November 2008, 21:26   #11  |  Link

The H.264 spec is also in the library at my site.
Old 10th November 2008, 21:37   #12  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Yep, reading it right now