Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 12th April 2002, 22:53   #1  |  Link
JFerguson

Capturing title picture from PowerDVD...Why fuzzy blurry in end product (SVCD)?

Hey guys.

I've been capturing Title Pictures from PowerDVD for my rips. I load up the DVD in PowerDVD, wait until it hits the root menu (where the links for Play, Special Features, Chapters, etc. are) and use PowerDVD's snapshot feature to capture the picture.

These snapshots are generally 720x480x24-bit. They look really good when brought up in a paint program.

They don't look so good, though, in the finished SVCD. Fairly blurry and soft, with a number of artifacts (??) around the perimeter of objects (especially text).

Kinda new to this stuff. I think I tried resizing (while maintaining aspect ratio) the pics to 480 width in a couple of cases, with no improvement. I think the menu got smaller in that case. Also, these title pictures are converted into MPEG-2, right?

Bear with me here, I hardly know what I'm doing, since kind of new to this. Also, I read all the faqs, and did an exhaustive search before posting this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks...

p.s. - There's a broken link (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5686) in this sticky post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19566).
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2002, 23:07   #2  |  Link
Jason28

I think that might be too big. I believe that there is a standard that SVCD uses. Some of the more experianced guys will be able to tell you what the exact numbers are. I also think that there has been some mention of the seizes on this forum, you can do a search for that and see what you find.
Jason28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2002, 00:52   #3  |  Link
mrbass

I could be wrong but I think they are encoded 8-bit to work around an i-author bug. IMDB ones are usually around 375x450 and they're good enough to display the title and have it readable but it's not like svcd still image quality at all.
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2002, 01:07   #4  |  Link
JFerguson

Ok, I just went back and looked at a couple of these in Paint Shop Pro and they're sized at 2 pixels per inch!

I'm going to resize them to 72dpi and take another whack at this. I'll let ya'll know...
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2002, 05:43   #5  |  Link
Shabubu

This may seem like a round about way of doing things, but open the menu vob in DVD2AVI and save the project. Re-open that projet then press b (or go to Option>Save BMP). In The DVD2AVI folder there will be your snapshots.
Shabubu is offline   Reply With Quote