Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 21st December 2015, 20:00   #721  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, in the beginning, FRIMSource was somewhat unstable (according to other users - I have never noticed personally real problems.) Currently, I think that FRIMSource is probably as stable as DGMVCSource. The problem is almost certainly in the Intel libs, not in the avisynth plugins.

Anyway, thanks for the report. I hope we'll be able to pinpoint the culprit, but that's not always easy.
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:42   #722  |  Link
sfatula

The conversion without hardware on auto worked fine, I got a good mk3d file that plays without blank frames. Now, just for fun, put hardware back to AUTO, and, using FRIMSource. Seems to be encoding. Which step actually uses the hardware accelerator, I guess just FRIMSource, right? avisynth is just as slow as ever, so, I presume it does not.

The demux part is not very time intensive anyway, so, I suppose using hardware or not is mostly irrelevant.
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:00   #723  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, it's only the MVC decoder (FRIMSource or DGMVCSource) that can use the hardware acceleration. The rest of the avisynth script, and the x264 encoding are not accelerated. Usually, it's x264 that is the most CPU demanding, and therefore, indeed, enabling the hardware acceleration gives probably only a small improvement on the overall duration of the process.

Anyway, thanks for testing also FRIMSource with hw enabled. I'm curious to know if it works fine, like with Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Old 23rd December 2015, 13:42   #724  |  Link
pistacho

Since here compared between DGMCSource and FRIMSource there is a third option that can be used, is enough to have installed BDtoAVCHD and MVCsource option appears on the menu:

MVCsource not has a blank frames or other knows bugs and is compatible with latest Intel Media SDK 2016 (API 1.17) and actual Intel Graphics Drivers.

There are also significant differences in performance (even in SW mode):

Tested with AVSmeter on I7-3770k / HD4000

In a few days I will be able to retest on a Skylake system

Last edited by pistacho; 23rd December 2015 at 13:44.
Old 23rd December 2015, 23:03   #725  |  Link
sfatula

So, FRIMSource also worked fine. With HW on AUTO. The files are actually the same size, the resultant mk3d files. So, no difference there. Just two tools that do the same thing apparently in the same way. Apparently from the previous post, there's actually a third method that can be used. Though, this is the tiniest part of the process as far as time goes. I just want it to work. :-)
Old 24th December 2015, 09:39   #726  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the result of your test. Very useful for me.

Yes, decoding speed doesn't matter much. And that kind of test has been made in non-standard conditions, so you can't really extrapolate the real speed of the decoder in normal circumstances. There are benchmarks on the Intel's site pretending that the decoding in hw mode is thousands of times more rapid than in sw mode, but in practice, the gain is only a few %, and the benchmarks are mainly ads for the Intel processors.

And yes, you can also use Pistacho's MVCSource, but you need to install his BDtoAVCHD, and you should take care. Not sure if that bugs have been fixed, but the last time I've checked it, MVCSource had big problems, notably with a periodic inversion of the left and right views. Also, I don't use it myself and I can't give support because I don't know it sufficiently. It appears in the choice of the MVC decoders when BD3D2MK3D detects it, just because I wanted a simple way to test it, and because BDtoAVCHD users may want to use it.

And yes, theoretically all decoders should return exactly the same clip, so if you don't change other settings, the final MKV should be strictly identical in all cases.

Now, the question is: Should I make FRIMSource the default decoder for BD3D2MK3D? Previously, it was less stable than MVCSource, but currently, it seems better. Therefore, I may change the default setting in the next version. Anyway, that setting will not change for existing users, if it has been saved in the config file.

[EDIT] I've reported the problem again at Donald Graft (here). I hope he will find the solution.
@Pistacho: Can you help him?

Last edited by r0lZ; 24th December 2015 at 10:32.
Old 24th December 2015, 19:33   #727  |  Link
sfatula

I think you should make it the default for now (FRIMSource). Yes, I know the files should be the same, but, when they are, it tells me it works. You could probably save a few people trouble if you make it the new default, for now. According to pistacho, it's faster too. Not that that matters much.
Old 24th December 2015, 19:38   #728  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yep, I'll do it. But Donald Graft has accepted to try to find the problem in DGMVCSource. He is very busy for now, and I don't know if a new version will be ready when I'll release v0.80, but if it's the case and it is confirmed that the bug is fixed, I will probably keep DGMVCSource as the default.
Old 24th December 2015, 20:05   #729  |  Link
sfatula

If he " confirms" it, let me know, would be happy to retest with my disk.
Old 25th December 2015, 19:20   #730  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
And yes, you can also use Pistacho's MVCSource, but you need to install his BDtoAVCHD, and you should take care. Not sure if that bugs have been fixed, but the last time I've checked it, MVCSource had big problems, notably with a periodic inversion of the left and right views. Also, I don't use it myself and I can't give support because I don't know it sufficiently. It appears in the choice of the MVC decoders when BD3D2MK3D detects it, just because I wanted a simple way to test it, and because BDtoAVCHD users may want to use it.
Yes, this bug is already fixed.
Old 30th December 2015, 22:37   #731  |  Link
masken
uhm... ?

Awesome work I too had problems with hardware acceleration on Intel HD Graphics 4400 (HP Elitebook 840), disabled works fine. A humble request; any way to prevent power saving mode on laptops while encoding?
Old 31st December 2015, 10:46   #732  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't know how to do it, except by manually disabling the power saving mode when you encode.

I know that there are programs available on the net to temporarily disable the feature (while a certain program is running or when a window is opened), but I can't find them any more.

If you wish, I can perhaps write a little program that will simulate mouse moves or key presses so that the system will "think" that someone is still using the computer, but that method has several drawbacks. It will also disable the screen blanker, and the mouse or keyboard activity may interfere with other programs. Therefore, I don't think it's a good solution.

If someone can find a way to disable and enable power saving mode from the command line, I should be able to add these commands in the __ENCODE*.cmd scripts to disable it when the encoding starts and re-enable it when it finishes. But I don't know that commands and even if it's possible. Someone?

[EDIT] "powercfg" is the command to do it. It has a lot of options, including the possibility to change the current power scheme (for example to switch from "Power saver" to "High Performance" or the opposite). It can also change any setting within the current power scheme (including the "sleep after" and "hibernate after" settings). It can also examine the current configuration and list the available power schemes. Therefore, it seems that everything is possible.

But I don't know what I should do. I must take into account that the PC may crash during an encoding (for example due to a power failure), or the encoding may be interrupted by the user. In that cases, the original settings will not be restored, and the PC will never go to sleep mode automatically any more, unless the user restores manually the original settings. So, what should I do? IMO, it is simpler to change completely the power scheme and use the High performance scheme during the encoding, and restore whatever was the original scheme when the project has been created when the encoding finishes. That way, if the scheme is not restored, the user will only have to select the original scheme manually to restore it.

But some users may prefer to leave the current scheme, and change only the minimum number of things: the delays for the automatic sleep and hibernate operations. IMO, that's not the best solution, because the "Power saver" scheme may not save much power anymore after a crash. Also, should I change the settings for the PC connected to the DC power only, or also for the PC running on battery? I suppose that an encoding is always made when the PC is connected, but who knows?

It is also possible to force the user to create a special "Encoding" scheme for the encoding, and switch to that scheme automatically only if it exists. The advantage is that the user can freely configure it, but he will have to turn off the sleep and hibernate features anyway.

There are many possibilities. Do you have a preference? Personally, I think that I can add a menu with the list of available power schemes in the GUI, to let the user select the power scheme to use during the encoding, and the one to restore after the encoding. I can also add a menu that will allow the user to restore immediately any power scheme. That may be useful to facilitate the restore after a crash. Is it OK for everybody?

Last edited by r0lZ; 31st December 2015 at 11:48.
Old 1st January 2016, 17:21   #733  |  Link
thahandy

Hm. ya tricky.

You can try create a mini program and run it next to BD3D2MK3D which only purpose is to disable sleep/hybernate with a certain delay when cpu load is >50% or so. (this will help a lottttttt of users )

Last edited by thahandy; 1st January 2016 at 17:24.
Old 1st January 2016, 18:32   #734  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, I have already implemented something similar within BD3D2MK3D. The Power plan can now be changed when the ENCODE.cmd script is launched, and restored when POSTPROCESS.cmd is executed (at the end of the encoding). That works well, but I can't avoid completely the risk that the new power plan stays active in case of a crash. The same thing can certainly also happen if the trick is implemented as a standalone program, with the additional difficulty that it will be necessary to configure it, and it may restore the original power plan too early if the CPU load falls below 50% for a short moment.

I will release a new version soon, probably tomorrow...
Old 1st January 2016, 21:07   #735  |  Link
thahandy

Maybe you can build in a check when running BD3D2MK3D from last state and after a client or BSOD crash (imho having BSOD is a whole other ballgame and 99.9% NOT related to BD3D2MK3D)

And you have a way to detect ENCODE window is aborted? (= windows closed) As it will not execute POSTPROCESS and so not restore power scheme.

Note:
I'm not using any form of sleep/hibernation when my PC or laptop is connected to AC source unless I said so. It's the first thing I do at clean install. So personal I don't require this at all
I just want to make sure it's semi "bulletproof".
Old 2nd January 2016, 00:03   #736  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, a check to verify if the power plan has changed when BD3D2MK3D is opened is a good idea. I will add it...

And no I can't test if the encode window has been closed, since it's the process running in that window that must restore the power plan.

BTW, there is another case that can cause problems. If the user prepares a project while another project is encoding, the "current power plan" will be the plan that has been temporally forced by the encoding process, and the new process will add the command to restore a wrong plan in the POSTPROCESS.cmd file. I have to verify also if the current plan is different than the temporary plan, and if it's not the case, warn the user and offer to restore another plan. Not easy!

I don't use the automatic sleep mode neither, because the guys at M$ are unable to understand that it's not because there is no human working on the computer that the computer is not working! I understand that the screen blanker can be activated when the human is not present, but powering down the PC should happen only when the CPU is (almost) idle for a long time. Since that's not taken into account, I prefer to control myself when I can manually put the computer to sleep. But I understand that simply turning off the automatic sleep mode is not a good solution for everybody.

Last edited by r0lZ; 2nd January 2016 at 00:09.
Old 2nd January 2016, 15:17   #737  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.80

OK, here it is. It is now possible to define the power plan to use when encoding. If you do so, you will also have to define the power plan to restore at the end of the encoding (for safety purposes). There are also some useful tools in the Settings -> Power Plans menu, including the possibility to activate another power plan directly from BD3D2MK3D.

When BD3D2MK3D starts, it checks also several things related to the power plans, and it warns you if it detects something wrong. I did my best to be sure that the original power plan is restored or to warn the user if it's not the case, but I can't certify that the power plan will not change after a crash during an encoding and before you launch BD3D2MK3D again. Let me know if you think that something can still be improved.

It is also possible to open the Power Options control panel from the Power Plans menu, but I don't know if that feature works well under all versions of Windows. Please let me know if that feature doesn't work for you.

Also, FRIMSource is now the default MVC decoder, but note that that setting will not change for existing users. I may come back to DGMVCSource later if it doesn't have the black frames problem any more.
Quote:
v0.80 (January 2, 2016)
- FRIMSource is now the default and recommended MVC decoder. (That setting doesn't change for existing users.)
- Added the Settings -> Power Plans menu to easily avoid problems with the PC going to sleep or hibernate mode.
- Updated the MkvToolnix exes to the latest version (v8.7.0)
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z

Last edited by r0lZ; 2nd January 2016 at 15:26.
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:01   #738  |  Link
masken
uhm... ?

Awesome, thanks - will try it
Old 4th January 2016, 00:33   #739  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.81

DO NOT USE v0.80! MkvMerge v8.7.0 doesn't work!

Sorry, the last thing I did before releasing v0.80 was to check if newer versions of the 3rd party programs were available, and I have updated the mkvtoolnix exes to the latest version, without testing if they work. I just finished an encoding right now, and I have noticed that the final mkv is not produced. After some investigation, my conclusion is that MkvMerge v8.7.0 is totally buggy, at least the Windows version. It cannot mux anything, and is not recognised by the MkvToolnix GUI. I've tried all versions available, and it's always the same problem. I will report the bug to the authors, but in the meantime I have made a new release of BD3D2MK3D that includes the previous version of the mkvtoolnix exes, v8.6.1.

Note: If you have made an encoding and you can't find the final MKV, you don't need to re-encode everything. Just install this version and launch __MUX_3D.cmd to create the MKV.

Quote:
v0.81 (January 4, 2016)
- Due to huge bugs in MkvMerge v8.7.0, reverted the MkvToolnix exes to the previous version (8.6.1)
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z

If you have already downloaded and installed BD3D2MK3D v0.80, you can also simply overwrite mkvmerge.exe, mkvpropedit.exe, mkvinfo.exe and the "data" directory in the toolset directory of BD3D2MK3D with the versions from this MkvToolnix archive: mkvtoolnix-32bit-8.6.1.7z. (Nothing else has changed in BD3D2MK3D itself.)

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 4th January 2016, 11:01   #740  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I forgot to change the version number in v0.81. Don't worry if you still see v0.80. Since the code has not changed, the version number doesn't matter much, as long as you see v0.80 or v0.81 AND Help -> Mkvmerge version shows version 8.6.1. However, if you use Help -> Check for update, it will tell you that v0.81 is available.

I have uploaded a new v0.81 with the correct version number. You can download it if you wish: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Closed Thread