Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 5th October 2017, 21:27   #21  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi flambot

My chapterEditor(eC) is special designed to work with Matroska/MKVToolNix(MTX).
cE helps MTX to use more Matroska features. A Bluray with Multi-Angles or Multi-Editions can be saved in a Multi-Edition-mkv which saves a lot of space.

With Ordered Chapters you can do a lot crazy stuff.
You can cut all Credits, expect one, and you can show the Credits for all other episodes without space doubling.
While you watch the video, to jump over the studio logo, is not anymore necessary.

My cE-BD2mkv can also split the mkv before the mkv is muxing, so only one mux-process is required.

makemkv is a good choice, You have to know nothing :-)
But the mkv is always not what I want.
Some Blurays have no forced subs, but in the "main" sub there are exists subs for an "alien-dialog". Now you have to extract the "main" sub from the mkv, edit and remux to a new mkv.

With cE you can edit everything before you mux the mkv(simple audio convert, add subs, cutting and so on).
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 09:33   #22  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambot View Post
Do you mod your BD's from ISO (or leave them intact?)
I mostly rip to iso and go from there. But ripping to folder structure is more direct as you don't have to mount iso's.
When doing a bluray 3D movie only, ripping to iso takes less space because of the SSIF files. Also I remux to iso because my DUNE mediaplayer only accepts that as full HD 3D input. So, I sort of got used to working with iso-image.

You should do as you prefer. Quality-wise there is no difference.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 23:25   #23  |  Link
flambot

I had a quick look at some of these tools in the last couple of days...namely Chapter Editor, MKVTool Nix and TsMuxer.

The time code for the chapters seems reasonably straight forward, but how do you get the time code for any chapters you want to add? It would seem the ms range is usually 3-4 numbers (that's being really specific). None of these programs seems to have a player (have I missed it??) to get the time code of the exact chapter point. What does one do?

I have looked at the time code in PD16, but the ms amount is only 2 numbers (how does one get more? Are more numbers even required?) I am new to PD16 as well, so perhaps I've overlooked something.

@von Suppé - I don't do 3D movies. They make me ill!

@hubblec4 - I dont' know anything about multiangles (even on DVD). Can't think of a single movie that has that facility (on DVD) - and if it did...I missed it! Sounds too complex for my limited skills.

I'm definitely going to have to learn more about the ordered chapters. That sounds like something I would use.

Question: How do you switch between the various versions with your player? Is it done with a menu?? Or, can some type of dialog box be brought up with the remote?

You seem to have a number of different programs. I have got chapter editor (rev 0.51). Is this the correct one? Are there some tutorials somewhere that tell me how to use it?

Thanks.
flambot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 02:01   #24  |  Link
flambot

Hello again...

I am looking at "multiAVCHD", but it is unclear on which versions of the other software that it needs to work is required. Many of the posts \ threads are very old and I wonder if someone with the knowledge of this program could tell me which verions to use...namely for...

AviSynth
ffdshow
Haali Media Splitter.

Thank you.
Old 8th October 2017, 09:45   #25  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
...how do you get the time code for any chapters you want to add?
For exact timing info you can playback your video in VirtualDub FilterMod. The timecode is shown in both framenumbers and hours:min:sec:thousandths
Old 9th October 2017, 19:35   #26  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
I had a quick look at some of these tools in the last couple of days...namely Chapter Editor, MKVTool Nix and TsMuxer.

The time code for the chapters seems reasonably straight forward, but how do you get the time code for any chapters you want to add? It would seem the ms range is usually 3-4 numbers (that's being really specific). None of these programs seems to have a player (have I missed it??) to get the time code of the exact chapter point. What does one do?

I have looked at the time code in PD16, but the ms amount is only 2 numbers (how does one get more? Are more numbers even required?) I am new to PD16 as well, so perhaps I've overlooked something.
I'm not 100% sure but maybe these 2 numbers are frames, it is often the case. So you have to calculate the ms with this 2 frame-number and the frame rate of the movie.

In my new chapterEditor(cE) 1.00Beta1 you can save the chapters directly into an mkv file and with the VST-hotkey(p) or the "Play"-button
starts the video automatically. Then I "pause" the video and jump to the chapter point. If the right frame is shown -> OK, otherwise
click the "next" frame button in the player, count them and multiply it with 40ms. Set the new chapter timestamp, save again and play it.
I have learned that sometimes a chapter mark not always match to the right frame. A manually correction is sometimes needed.

Quote:
@hubblec4 -

I'm definitely going to have to learn more about the ordered chapters. That sounds like something I would use.
Ask me, I will help you.

Quote:
Question: How do you switch between the various versions with your player? Is it done with a menu?? Or, can some type of dialog box be brought up with the remote?
Some players like VLC has an internal Matroska Parser and can handle multi editions.
The best Matroska Parser/Splitter for the moment is LAV Filters. Mpc-hc has LAV on board.
In the try icon of the LAV Splitter you can switch between the editions.

Quote:
You seem to have a number of different programs. I have got chapter editor (rev 0.51). Is this the correct one? Are there some tutorials somewhere that tell me how to use it?
In rev0.51 is the BD2mkv editor, but for chapter editing it's better to use the new rev1.00Beta1
Go to my page here in the form(see signature) there are some more information. You will find a link to an old tutorial.

hubble
Old 10th October 2017, 00:37   #27  |  Link
flambot

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
For exact timing info you can playback your video in VirtualDub FilterMod. The timecode is shown in both framenumbers and hours:min:sec:thousandths
I'll give this a look. Can it play the BD folder, or do the files have to be in MKV format?
Old 10th October 2017, 00:44   #28  |  Link
flambot

@hubblec4 - Thanks for your patience and generous post.

I watched the old tutorial video, You make it look easy

As for selecting the edition you want to watch, it sounds as if you watch it from the computer?? Is easy selection possbile at the TV via KodiTV?

Ultimately, I would only be interested in only one edition, but an edition where the playlist (chapter order) is structured the way I want it. The video didn't seem to actually show you making chapter changes - just adding the various editions (or were the chapter changes done first prior to import?

I have downloaded the correct chapter editor. Time to have a play. Thank you very muchly.
Old 10th October 2017, 14:19   #29  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
@hubblec4 - Thanks for your patience and generous post.

I watched the old tutorial video, You make it look easy
This video is very old and show not the entire process.
When I'm finish with the new cE, I will make more and better documentation and tutorials.

Quote:
As for selecting the edition you want to watch, it sounds as if you watch it from the computer?? Is easy selection possbile at the TV via KodiTV?
For me is a PC also a Media-Player. I use mpc-hc and so I have no limits to watch videos.
Other software like KodiTV have not so good mkv support. I read that Kodi has implemented "ordered chapters" but I don't know how good it works.

Quote:
Ultimately, I would only be interested in only one edition, but an edition where the playlist (chapter order) is structured the way I want it. The video didn't seem to actually show you making chapter changes - just adding the various editions (or were the chapter changes done first prior to import?
In the tutorial-video the chapters will be automatic generated. That's the normal way for the BD2mkv editor.
Chapter editing is with the new cE very easy.
You can change the "order" of the chapters and then set the start- and end-timestamps for the corresponding video-parts.

Example:
Your episode starts with an Intro: Delete the first chapter (00:00:00.000 - 00:00:50.000)
The Studio Logo: Delete this chapter (00:02:00.000 - 00:03:00.000)

You have then chapters like this:
00:00:50.000 - 00:02:00.000
00:03:00.000 - 00:40:00.000

The video duration is now 38min 10sec

hubble
Old 10th October 2017, 20:52   #30  |  Link
flambot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
This video is very old and show not the entire process.
When I'm finish with the new cE, I will make more and better documentation and tutorials.
That sounds good. If I'm going to tweak anything in a video, it's just about always the chapters

Quote:
For me is a PC also a Media-Player. I use mpc-hc and so I have no limits to watch videos.
Other software like KodiTV have not so good mkv support. I read that Kodi has implemented "ordered chapters" but I don't know how good it works.
I've been using KodiTV for a long time (although I'm currently running a couple of versions behind because the skin I use hasn't been updated for the latest version). I hadn't heard about ordered chapters. Being able to disignate a playlist and the order it plays in KodiTV would be awesome

Quote:
In the tutorial-video the chapters will be automatic generated. That's the normal way for the BD2mkv editor. Chapter editing is with the new cE very easy.
You can change the "order" of the chapters and then set the start- and end-timestamps for the corresponding video-parts.

Example:
Your episode starts with an Intro: Delete the first chapter (00:00:00.000 - 00:00:50.000)
The Studio Logo: Delete this chapter (00:02:00.000 - 00:03:00.000)

You have then chapters like this:
00:00:50.000 - 00:02:00.000
00:03:00.000 - 00:40:00.000

The video duration is now 38min 10sec
I was hoping it would work like this. I'm going to have to find more time to play. Much appreciated.
Old 15th October 2017, 09:39   #31  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Can it play the BD folder, or do the files have to be in MKV format?
It will accept mkv and m2ts. You can't load a mpls from BD though. When you have a seamlessly branched disk you'll first have to mux the proper playlist to BD iso with tsMuxer so you can load the one m2ts stream, or mux playlist with mkvtoolnix and load the mkv then.
Old 19th November 2017, 04:22   #32  |  Link
flambot

Hello there,

I've been busy slowly learning my way around BD. I'm ripping to folder, then creating MKV files with CloneBD. This all takes time and the process is slow bacause of the large files. However, CBD is creating files that have a audio sync issue (the last and worst yet was 1.5 seconds out). All the titles to date that I have backed up to mkv have this issue to some degree?? So...I am trying another tool.

I have started using "mkvtoolnix GUI." I have created a couple of mkv titles from BD folder - using the exisiting playlist. I have a couple of questions regarding this program...

1 - When I play back the resultant mkv file using PDVD17, the video looks slow...like it's sort of a slowmotion effect. Why?? Using PDVD16 this doesn't happen. Is there a setting somewhere I should look for?? (Yeah...this is a weird one)

2 - CloneBD has the ability to easily trim the beginning and end of the video. How is this achieved using "mkvtoolnix GUI" (I want to remove studio logos at the beginning and credits it the end)

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th November 2017, 13:03   #33  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
When I play back the resultant mkv file using PDVD17, the video looks slow...Using PDVD16 this doesn't happen
I think it's a flaw then in PDVD17.
I don't know these programs but for mkv playback I'd try another player like MPC-HC, VLC or PotPlayer.

As for your second point, I have no experience with mkv trimming using mkvtoolnix. I'm sure other people could tell you.