Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2001, 01:45   #1  |  Link
kraven morehead

low and high action looks way too blocky please read!

ok.
im using a slightly older build for compatability sake
im using version 1.0.3 build 4.
ok my bitrate settings are as follows
max2400
min1900
min avg.2200
max avg.2300

my cce settings are multipass vbr 3 passes,
image quality priority 5
antinoise filter 2
and linear and zigzag are checked by default
i am not using temperal smoother. i never have, if i do need to use this, what should the settings be at?
the last couple of movies i have done were really kinda blocky around peoples heads and during higher action it got worse.
i recently encoded snl 25 years and it looked absolutly horrible at these settings. i dont get it, the dvd was kinda scratched up though maybe this was the problem or part of it?
thanks for the help!

kraven
kraven morehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2001, 20:11   #2  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

First, upgrade to the latest version.
You will recieve little or no help on an older version.

One big reason to upgrade is that in the older versions several of the filter settings were not passed to CCE. It was fixed in newer versions.

Also you did not list how many CD's you are using, what the length of the CD was, what the length of the video was.

DVD2SVCD will change the bitrate settings to attempt to fit into the number of CD's asked for. So a 2 hour video on 2 CD's will have a lower average bitrate then a 2 hour video on 3 CD's. No matter what you put into the bitrate settings.

TS is usually not needed for 3 pass VBR and above.

It is unlikely that a scratched DVD that ripped fine will cause any issues.

I have had the same blocky problems on camcorder based material. I never did get it completely fixed, but I think this is more a limitation of the lower bitrate of a SVCD vs a DVD. I have never had blockyness on film based material.

Mark
markrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2001, 20:20   #3  |  Link
kraven morehead

first off,
thanks for the reply.
believe me i would like to use the newest version, however it always freezes during .mpv conversion in cce. the only thing that works was to drop down to an older version, so im going to have to stick to what works for now.
you brought up a good point in that, yes i did in fact change the settings a bit so that all the cd sizes are at 790, but that is all i changed beside increasing the bitrate.
so,
i guess my question is, do you know the default bitrate settings and cd sizes? i cannot remember them and there is no default button on the bitrate tab in this version.
thanks again for the help

kraven-
Old 30th December 2001, 20:33   #4  |  Link
kraven morehead

ok
never mind that question!
i see in th edrop down boxes, that i can choose 740 or 800
740 is too small and actually lowers the bitrate and using 800 mb my finished result is a tad too big to fit on a 80 min 700mb cdr.
so 790 is perfect for me as it allows for a higher bitrate setting and it will fit on a 80 min cdr.
i never touched how many cds it should fit on, those are stil default.
so all i ever have changed is the cdmb sizes they are all 790 now and the bitrate settings as i listed in my first post.
thanks-

kraven-