Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 6th October 2005, 02:55   #61  |  Link
senderj

I followed the guide up to the point where I put the sst into MuxMan. MuxMan showed a "Free" at the sub-pic file name. I saved the project and edit the mxp. I found that there is no "Duration" under "Item=Sub-Picture Stream". So I add "Duration=Default". Reopen it in MuxMan and start. MuxMan stopped with message "cannot reopen Free". My sst is the same as the NTSC version posted in this thread and I am sure I put a space after the bmp file name. I've tried "." and the exact path in the "Directory", both upper and lower case, but still the same. It must be my sst, but I don't know what. Please help.
senderj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005, 07:50   #62  |  Link
berrick

I was having some funny issues with my .sst file so to be on the safe side i made sure that there were no spaces in directory/file names, as well as the space i used a carriage return. The space is important as the last character on the line is stripped.I havent back tracked to see if having spaces in the directory/file name causes issues. Maybe mpucoder can verify this?
My .sst file now works fine.
To check i have a space at the end of a line i always get cursor to front of line in question and then press the "end" key.
berrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005, 08:57   #63  |  Link
berrick

@Goonix
Thnxs i can confirm that saving PS bmp as OS/2 works for me as well with i use PS 7.0 for windows, now to understand the color setting of subpic and correcting a time limit that menu now has lol
L8R's
Old 6th October 2005, 14:49   #64  |  Link
mpucoder

There have been some fixes to sst file parsing in 0.15, but spaces in the file names was fixed a long time ago.
You can see how an sst file was interpretted by looking at the mxp file, as it expands the sst into mxp. Also there is no duration to a stream, only each play item.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2005, 15:58   #65  |  Link
senderj

I don't have any play item in my mxp. Here is my sst

st_format 2
Display_Start forced
TV_Type NTSC
Tape_Type NON_DROP
Pixel_Area (2 478)
Display_Area (0 2 719 478)
E2 (255 255 255 = = =)
E1 (0 0 255 = = =)
PA (0 0 0 = = =)
BG (255 0 0 = = =)
Directory e:\project\demuxed_menu
Color (1 1 1 1)
Contrast (0 0 0 0)
1 00:00:00:00 00:01:00:00 sub2.bmp

and here is the relevant part of mxp

Item=Sub-Picture Stream
{
Stream Number=1
Language Extension=1
Display Mode=unspecified
}
Item=Sub-Picture Stream
{
Stream Number=2
Language Extension=1
Display Mode=unspecified
File=E:\project\demuxed_menu\[1]_VTS_01_1.21.sup
}

here is the MuxMan log

MuxMan version 0.14g
Opened script file E:\project\demuxed_menu\sub.mxp
Accepted image E:\project\demuxed_menu\language2.bmp
Opened sub 2 file E:\project\demuxed_menu\[1]_VTS_01_1.21.sup.
22:57:19 Begin multiplex.
Maximum audio duration 0 fields.
unable to reopen free.

Please help.
Old 6th October 2005, 16:56   #66  |  Link
berrick

Looks to me like you are using a project file you created using a differnet sub filename...
the file name your .sst file is using is sub2.bmp but the .mpx file is using something totaly different. It must match the file name used in the .sst file
Old 7th October 2005, 15:06   #67  |  Link
senderj

No. The demuxed vob gave me 2 sup files: 20.sup and 21.sup. I use the sst and 21.sup in MuxMan. You can see two sub-pic stream in the mxp file. But the problem is MuxMan didn't seem to able to open the sst (I mean it can open the sst but not the sub2.bmp). PLease read my problem in my previous post.
Old 7th October 2005, 17:49   #68  |  Link
berrick

I'm sorry but if you have followed the instructions then you should be dealing with 2 bmp files, The first the main bmp refered to as bg.bmp and the second which is stripped from the VOB using subrip called sub.bmp.

If you havent ended up with 2 .bmp files you are doing something slightly different
Old 7th October 2005, 23:23   #69  |  Link
goonix

@senderj

You only need a .SST file if you want to mux a BMP as subpicture.
The .sup files are the raw subpicture frame data of the VOB file plus a header.
You can't edit them with a graphic editor, but if you only want to change the background picture, it is'nt necessary of course.

You can load .sup files directly into MuxMan as subpicture stream.

goonix
goonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 08:08   #70  |  Link
senderj

I use sst and a sup file because I want to try modifying one sub first. My problem is on MuxMan (seems) not able to read the sst file correctly. Anyway, I have tried to use sst only. I note down what I did (relevant part only) and repeat my question here:

Let me start at after I got the menu background bmp and extracted the menu vob.

1. I then use SubRip to output sub00.bmp and sub01.bmp which correspond to ID 20 and 21. 20 is for 4:3, wide, and LB. 21 is for PS. I got my first problem here since after I click verify, SubRip shows "00-????" and "01-????" in the pull down, instead of 20 and 21. Don't know why.

2. I edit both the background bmp, sub00.bmp and sub01.bmp. What I did was to change the word "Espanol" to "Chinese" on both background and highlight (sub).

3. I copy the sst in this thread, modify it to become sub00.sst and sub01.sst. This is the sub00.sst

Code:
st_format 2
Display_Start forced
TV_Type NTSC
Tape_Type NON_DROP
Pixel_Area (2 479)
Display_Area (0 2 719 479)
E2 (255 255 255 = = =)
E1 (0 0 255 = = =)
PA (0 0 0 = = =)
BG (255 0 0 = = =)
Directory E:\project\demuxed_menu 
Color (1 1 1 1)
Contrast (0 0 0 0)
1 00:00:00:00 00:01:00:00 sub00.bmp
My second problem is, in this thread, NTSC size for the sub is 719X479. But the output of SubRip (that is the sub00.bmp) has size 720X478. I don't know which is correct.

4. I open MuxMan, use the background as video. I don't have audio so I skip it. I use sub00.sst in Sub1. MuxMan showed "20" against "Track 1". But MuxMan showed "Free" in the sub file name and the "PS" "LB" "WIDE" buttons were disabled. I ignore it and use sub01.sst in Sub2. MuxMan put "21" in "Track 2" and again showed "Free" in filename. The instruction said I am suppose to select the buttons according to Step A (PgcEdit), but they are not available to me. What's wrong?

5. I save the project. The mxp is this:

Code:
		Item=Sub-Picture Stream
		{
			Stream Number=1
			Language Extension=1
			Display Mode=unspecified
		}
		Item=Sub-Picture Stream
		{
			Stream Number=2
			Language Extension=1
			Display Mode=unspecified
		}
6. MuxMan didn't seems to read the sst files. So I edited the mxp, change it to become:

Code:
		Item=Sub-Picture Stream
		{
			Stream Number=1
			Language Extension=1
			Display Mode=Only Letterbox
			Item=Sub-Picture Play
			{
				File=e:\project\demuxed_menu\sub00.bmp
				Start=00:00:00:00 (0)
				Forced Start=Yes
				Time Code=NTSC drop
				Duration=Default
				Origin=0,2
				Display Area=0,2,719,479
				Color 1(Pa)=0000ff = & &
				Color 2(E1)=000000 = & &
				Color 3(E2)=ff0000 = & &
				Color=1 1 1 1
				Contr=0 0 0 0
			}
		}
		Item=Sub-Picture Stream
		{
			Stream Number=2
			Language Extension=1
			Display Mode=Only Panscan
			Item=Sub-Picture Play
			{
				File=e:\project\demuxed_menu\sub01.bmp
				Start=00:00:00:00 (0)
				Forced Start=Yes
				Time Code=NTSC drop
				Duration=Default
				Origin=0,2
				Display Area=0,2,719,479
				Color 1(Pa)=0000ff = & &
				Color 2(E1)=000000 = & &
				Color 3(E2)=ff0000 = & &
				Color=1 1 1 1
				Contr=0 0 0 0
			}
		}
7. Reopen it in MuxMan, now MuxMan showed the file names correctly. BUt the three buttons were still disabled.

8. I click Start to generate the DVD files. But it halted with a line at the end of the MuxMan.log:

"SPU error, , encoded line exceeds 1440 bits."

Can anybody help me on this?
Old 8th October 2005, 08:58   #71  |  Link
berrick

@goonix
I didn't know you could use .sup directly with muxman, i learn something new every time i come to this site! With regard to changing just the BG.bmp i still find it quicker to use the relevant part of this guide BUT for doing sub.bmp this guide is way Kewl
Old 8th October 2005, 13:32   #72  |  Link
goonix

@senderj
Quote:
1. I then use SubRip to output sub00.bmp and sub01.bmp which correspond to ID 20 and 21. 20 is for 4:3, wide, and LB. 21 is for PS. I got my first problem here since after I click verify, SubRip shows "00-????" and "01-????" in the pull down, instead of 20 and 21. Don't know why.
Stream 20 can't contain wide and LB. There are different streams needed. So you have probably 20 for wide and 21 for PS.
Don't care about the question marks in SubRip.
Quote:
3. My second problem is, in this thread, NTSC size for the sub is 719X479. But the output of SubRip (that is the sub00.bmp) has size 720X478. I don't know which is correct.
In the .SST file the Display_Area (0 2 719 479) is correct for NTSC, but your subpicture should have 720x480. You can change the size in SubRip under the "Cropping" tab.
Quote:
4. But MuxMan showed "Free" in the sub file name and the "PS" "LB" "WIDE" buttons were disabled.
If MuxMan shows "Free", then the subpicture is not found or the subpicture has the wrong format. "PS" "LB" "WIDE" buttons were then disabled. Remember the correct settings of 720X480 for NTSC, the 4 bit color palette and the colors red, blue, black and white. And read some posts above about the OS/2 format of the BMP in PhotoShop. (btw PaintShop's BMP output in windows format is OK for MuxMan).
Quote:
6. MuxMan didn't seems to read the sst files. So I edited the mxp.
Please edit only the parts that are described in the mini-guide. Else if you are not an expert in MuxMan it surely goes wrong.
Quote:
8. "SPU error, , encoded line exceeds 1440 bits."
This error is a result of editing the mxp file in a wrong manner.

If you follow the mini-guide step by step and the explanations above, you should master this challenge.
You are on the right way...

goonix
Old 8th October 2005, 17:10   #73  |  Link
mpucoder

The log (c:\muxman.log) might give you and me some more information (especially version number and file reject messages). But if it says "unable to reopen free" it means it was unable to open the bmp. Make sure there is a cr/lf after the bmp name (check in notepad or wordpad by opening the file and hitting crtl end, the cursor should be at the left below the last line).
Old 9th October 2005, 09:26   #74  |  Link
senderj

I finally find out the reason of the "free" problem in my sst. There is a space at the end of the "Directory" line. I delete it and MuxMan is able to show the file name after I choose the sst. However, the "WIDE" "LB" "PS" buttons are still disabled. I've checked my sst over and over again but didn't find anything wrong. I did some more test on my case and sum up my observations here hoping that you can help me.

a. Muxman can now open my sst and find the bmp file name to display. But the "WIDE" "LB" "PS" buttons are still disabled.

b. Nevertheless, I save the muxman project and edit the mxp as in mpucoder's post.

c. But anytime I use two sub-pic, Muxman is halted with "SPU error, , encoded line exceeds 1440 bits." I am using 0.14g.

d. If I only use one sub-pic, Muxman can produce the files.

e. Then I proceed to complete the rest of the steps with Muxman's output: replace vob, put back the menu stuff etc. The final DVD works well, except the highlight of the modified menu (which is a language selection menu). The highlight shows up as if some horizontal lines are filtered off. And the most interesting thing is, the remaining lines is showing the characters of the main menu rather then those in the language menu.

f. I want to check what has been muxed into Muxman's ouptput. So with Mxuman's output (as in Point d above), I extract the vob in the same way as I extract the menu vob from the original DVD. Then I use SubRip to rip the sub to bmp. But SubRip stopped at 70% then nothing happen. It didn't complete, didn't show the sub on screen and didn't produce the bmp.

g. Without success in f). I do the same using the final DVD files instead. This time I can produce the bmp. But it is not the same as the one I put into sst. It looks as if some bits have been shifted. Here is the link
http://home.netvigator.com/~zarino/abc.bmp
and here is the edited sub I put in MuxMan
http://home.netvigator.com/~zarino/sub00.bmp

My sst and mxp can be found here
http://home.netvigator.com/~zarino/sub.mxp
http://home.netvigator.com/~zarino/sub00.sst

Can somebody please let me know what's wrong with my files?

Oh! forgot about the Muxman log, which is the one successful (with one sub)
http://home.netvigator.com/~zarino/muxman.log

Last edited by senderj; 9th October 2005 at 09:29.
Old 9th October 2005, 13:53   #75  |  Link
goonix

@senderj
Quote:
a. Muxman can now open my sst and find the bmp file name to display. But the "WIDE" "LB" "PS" buttons are still disabled.
You have to change the Display Mode from "4:3" to "Only Panscan" in your mxp file and reload it. Only then the buttons are enabled. This is described in the mini-guide!
Quote:
e. The highlight shows up as if some horizontal lines are filtered off.
This is the result of a wrong format of the subpicture. The destroyed subpicture of your abc.bmp clearly shows this effect. If you are using PhotoShop then choose the OS/2 output format for your BMP. In PaintShop also the windows format will work. I have tried some other graphic editors and some of them work, some not. I don't know what is specific to this problem, only mpucoder knows. To proof the format use SubRip after muxing your subpic. It should look the same as before muxing, in other words your abc.bmp should be the same as your sub00.bmp. If it is'nt the case try different settings of your BMP output or an other graphic editor.
Quote:
c. But anytime I use two sub-pic, Muxman is halted with "SPU error, , encoded line exceeds 1440 bits." I am using 0.14g.
I never got this error. Only mpucoder can explain it. I mux all 3 subpictures without any problem. Maybe this is also comes from a wrong subpic format. One subpicture with the wrong format will work (but with a bad result), 2 wrong subpictures lead to this error.
Quote:
Then I proceed to complete the rest.... SubRip stopped at 70% then nothing happen.
If you get an error in MuxMan proceeding does'nt make any sense. No wonder SubRip will not work correctly.

Conclusion: All your problems seems to come from a wrong subpicture format. If you have managed this issue, then you will have success.

Good luck and let us stay informed!

goonix
Old 10th October 2005, 21:25   #76  |  Link
berrick

@goonix
I got "encoded line exceeds 1440bits" error when i first tried to use your guide. I saw it once and corrected somehow but cannot remeber what i did. I have tried now everything works for me to recreate the problem but cant.

I was using 0.14g only mux'ing one sub pic and bg bmp no audio, i suspect it was something to do with the .mpx file as am sure when i stopped using it .mxp file.

The problems with senderj abc.bmp are to do with the way the bmp file is saved. That is excatly the issue i was getting before using photoshop and save as os/2 bmp
Old 10th October 2005, 21:51   #77  |  Link
mpucoder

"Encoded line exceed 1440 bits" error has to do with the complexity of the subpicture bitmap, each line must compress to 1440 bits or less. No doubt the garbled bmp caused this.
Old 13th October 2005, 00:29   #78  |  Link
qwik3r2

idk guys i just can't get this to work, i follow it to a T (or atleast i think i do) and all i get is a still menu with music.

I am trying to add audio to an edited background pic, i extract the vob than i use subrip to rip the subpics than i use muxman to add it all back together and yes i followed those instructions to a T aswell.

Finally i copy it back to my VIDEO_TS folder and it has the music but isn't a menu anymore, even PGCEDIT shows it not as a menu, i can't click on anything, no highlights etc. I DO know that i would have to use PGCEDIT in order to get the hotspots back but thats not my prob right now, any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited by qwik3r2; 13th October 2005 at 06:46.
qwik3r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 02:03   #79  |  Link
goonix

@qwik3r2

If you don't set the hotspot rectangles in PgcEdit it is'nt a menu.
It is only a still picture with a subpicture and audio.
PgcEdit writes the button info to the navpacks when you define a hotspot and the button command.
Only now you have a real button and a menu.

goonix
Old 13th October 2005, 02:59   #80  |  Link
qwik3r2

I guess you dont' quite understand, after i do everything and use vobblanker to replace the menu cell i load up PGCEDIT and where there was perviously a menu there is no more, so i am doing something wrong between the process here.

This is what i do:

I open up VTS_02_0.VOB which contains my menus. I than demux with cell id's using vobedit.

The menu i want is a special features menu in which i want to blank out part of it where i deleted buttons and add music. The menu is located in: VTS_02_007.VOB

I use subrip to rip the bmp out of it, i do not edit the highlight. I than use muxman and load up the bg image, save the project and edit the mxp so that it says Only Panscan. Load up muxman again and load my bg audio and my .SST file which corrently points to the right dir and right BMP filename. (which is sub.sst and sub.bmp, all files are in the same DIR btw)

I than click on the PS button and save the project. I than open up the mxp in notepad again and change the duration to DEFAULT. Open it up again click start and than get my extracted VOB and load up VOBblanker, replace the menu cell with the new one, load up PGC and its not there, all the other menus are there, but not that one, WHAT am i doing wrong?

P.S. I DO have preserve menu's ticked in vobblanker and i do have skip all on everything else and i DO have process on the menu.
qwik3r2 is offline   Reply With Quote