Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 27th October 2014, 10:51   #1121  |  Link
Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl View Post
Or it may be something bad with the DVDSubedit .ini file (which the program writes when it quits and reloads when it starts).
You should try to remove that .ini file.
In windows7 it's here:
C:\Users\jeanl\AppData\Roaming\dbdsubedit.ini

Not sure where that would be in windows8. Remove it (along with all other dvdsubedit related files) and try again. If you're lucky, that will do it!
j
Thanks jeanl! Same location on Win 8/8.1. I deleted DVDSubEditLastFile0.txt and DVDSubEdit.ini and it worked again so I'm happy .

However, after working normally with it and closing it, it will not open again and crash. I delete the file(s) again and it works, but only once. Even if I just open and close it without working on any files, it will not open a second time unless a delete DVDSubEdit.ini. (leaving DVDSubEditLastFile0 there is not causing problems).

Code:
[DVDSubEdit]
MainWindowPos=324 101 1110 849
ScanWindowPos=87 63 560 125
LastPPMDir=
LastSUPDir=
LastSaveSUPDir=
LastVOBDir=
LastSRTDir=
Border4_3S_N=48
Border4_3S_P=58
Border4_3LB_N=60
Border4_3LB_P=72
Border4_3LBS_N=89
Border4_3LBS_P=106
Border1_85_N=10
Border1_85_P=12
Border2_39_N=62
Border2_39_P=74
ForceEvenMoves=0
BitmapSaveType=0
AutoForceDisplayVideo=1
WarnIfOnly4_3=0
NumMRU=1
ZoomWindowPos=87 63 1004 155
OCRRecenter=1
OCRAlignBottom=1
OCRBracketSquare=1
OCRBracketParen=1
OCRBracketNotes=0
OCRItalics=1
OCRRemoveColumns=0
OCRSpaceSelect=0
OCRCaseSensitive=0
CropBackgroundBorderX=1
FrameDownSampling=0
CropBackgroundBorderY=1
WarnOnBitmapImport=1
DropFrame=0
AutoDisplayMode=1
AlertIfClosedCaptions=0
AskForIFOs=1
RetimingSliderRange=10.000000000000
EditBitmapAs24BitBMP=0
UseTruePTS=1
DefaultBackgdColor=3289650
DefaultAutoPixColor=8421504
DefaultAutoBkgColor=16777215
DefaultAutoAA1Color=0
DefaultAutoAA2Color=12632256
BMPEditPath=
BMPEditPathArgs=

Last edited by Weirdo; 27th October 2014 at 10:53.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 15:49   #1122  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Thanks jeanl! Same location on Win 8/8.1. I deleted DVDSubEditLastFile0.txt and DVDSubEdit.ini and it worked again so I'm happy .

However, after working normally with it and closing it, it will not open again and crash. I delete the file(s) again and it works, but only once. Even if I just open and close it without working on any files, it will not open a second time unless a delete DVDSubEdit.ini. (leaving DVDSubEditLastFile0 there is not causing problems).

Code:
[DVDSubEdit]
MainWindowPos=324 101 1110 849
ScanWindowPos=87 63 560 125
LastPPMDir=
LastSUPDir=
LastSaveSUPDir=
LastVOBDir=
LastSRTDir=
Border4_3S_N=48
Border4_3S_P=58
Border4_3LB_N=60
Border4_3LB_P=72
Border4_3LBS_N=89
Border4_3LBS_P=106
Border1_85_N=10
Border1_85_P=12
Border2_39_N=62
Border2_39_P=74
ForceEvenMoves=0
BitmapSaveType=0
AutoForceDisplayVideo=1
WarnIfOnly4_3=0
NumMRU=1
ZoomWindowPos=87 63 1004 155
OCRRecenter=1
OCRAlignBottom=1
OCRBracketSquare=1
OCRBracketParen=1
OCRBracketNotes=0
OCRItalics=1
OCRRemoveColumns=0
OCRSpaceSelect=0
OCRCaseSensitive=0
CropBackgroundBorderX=1
FrameDownSampling=0
CropBackgroundBorderY=1
WarnOnBitmapImport=1
DropFrame=0
AutoDisplayMode=1
AlertIfClosedCaptions=0
AskForIFOs=1
RetimingSliderRange=10.000000000000
EditBitmapAs24BitBMP=0
UseTruePTS=1
DefaultBackgdColor=3289650
DefaultAutoPixColor=8421504
DefaultAutoBkgColor=16777215
DefaultAutoAA1Color=0
DefaultAutoAA2Color=12632256
BMPEditPath=
BMPEditPathArgs=
I suspect one of these entries is causing the problem. You can try to find out which one it is, by doing a binary search! Remove half of them, save the .ini see if it starts. If not, remove the next 1/4 etc.
It's possible that the mere presence of this file is what causes the issue (even empty) as it's possible that the functgion call used to read it is no longer supported...
Jeanl
Old 27th October 2014, 16:17   #1123  |  Link
Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl View Post
I suspect one of these entries is causing the problem. You can try to find out which one it is, by doing a binary search! Remove half of them, save the .ini see if it starts. If not, remove the next 1/4 etc.
It's possible that the mere presence of this file is what causes the issue (even empty) as it's possible that the functgion call used to read it is no longer supported...
Jeanl
Thanks again. Some quick tests: it does open with an empty .ini file. Of course the file is rewritten and it crashes again the 2nd time. Setting the ini file as read-only does not work, still crashes with all entries present.

This worked though: I deleted MainWindowPos and ScanWindowPos and set the .ini file as read-only. Now DVDSubEdit always works. Settings are not saved of course but it's not a major problem and can be easily bypassed.
Old 27th October 2014, 18:35   #1124  |  Link
jeanl

OK then there must be a problem with the call. At the very least, I can put a try/catch around the corresponding calls so it won't crash the app if they fail, but I'm puzzled as to what's causing the crash... These are pretty standard calls...
Old 27th November 2014, 14:57   #1125  |  Link
ImAhNoBoDy

I had the same issue as Weirdo yesterday. DVDSubEdit worked a few months ago and it just stopped working. Only thing that I could think of that changed was I did a system restore 2 weeks ago. I also am a Windows 8.1 user. I did the same "fix" as Weirdo where I deleted the DVDSubEdit.ini and it worked. Then the second time I opened DVDSubEdit, it just wouldn't open. Event Viewer didn't show any good information.

I did a windows update and that fixed the issue. The update was KB3000850 which is an optional update. Not really sure what was in it, but it worked.
ImAhNoBoDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 19:47   #1126  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAhNoBoDy View Post
I had the same issue as Weirdo yesterday. DVDSubEdit worked a few months ago and it just stopped working. Only thing that I could think of that changed was I did a system restore 2 weeks ago. I also am a Windows 8.1 user. I did the same "fix" as Weirdo where I deleted the DVDSubEdit.ini and it worked. Then the second time I opened DVDSubEdit, it just wouldn't open. Event Viewer didn't show any good information.

I did a windows update and that fixed the issue. The update was KB3000850 which is an optional update. Not really sure what was in it, but it worked.
Good to know... I have now migrated to windows 8.1, so far, DVDSE works normally, no crash, but when I make the next version, I'll try to put safeguards so it does not crash when making the suspicious call...
Jeanl
Old 3rd February 2015, 00:54   #1127  |  Link
sadsack

I'm adding subtitles (srt converted to sup) to a letterboxed dvd video. I want the subs visible when dvd zoomed in for widescreen, but would also like them bottom-justified, meaning a single line subtitle will be at the same height as the bottom line of a two-line subtitle. Is there a setting for this in Dvdsubedit? I seem to have adjusted the single-line height accidentally for another subtitle file.

edit: never mind, figured it out. Click "flush" and adjust the borders rather than just the subtitles.

Last edited by sadsack; 3rd February 2015 at 15:48. Reason: correct typo
sadsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:36   #1128  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
I'm adding subtitles (srt converted to sup) to a letterboxed dvd video. I want the subs visible when dvd zoomed in for widescreen, but would also like them bottom-justified, meaning a single line subtitle will be at the same height as the bottom line of a two-line subtitle. Is there a setting for this in Dvdsubedit? I seem to have adjusted the single-line height accidentally for another subtitle file.

edit: never find, figured it out. Click "flush" and adjust the borders rather than just the subtitles.
Yes, that's correct. Flush is the way to do that, and it does exactly what you want...
Old 27th March 2016, 22:19   #1129  |  Link
osullic

I use DVDSubEdit just for detecting "forced subtitles" when backing up my DVDs (i.e. load ripped VOB into DVDSubEdit). It's very useful for the purpose. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and one feature which doesn't seem to work for me now is that when I load a VOB into DVDSubEdit, the dropdown in the "Subpic selection" section never seems to have any options in it except for "All Streams". Previously I used to be able to select an individual subtitle stream/language here and then tick the "Only show forced subpics" checkbox in order to see which streams contained forced subtitles, if any.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Or is it related to Windows 10? Or is it just something peculiar to the last several VOBs that I've loaded?

Thanks for your insight.
osullic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 23:45   #1130  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullic View Post
I use DVDSubEdit just for detecting "forced subtitles" when backing up my DVDs (i.e. load ripped VOB into DVDSubEdit). It's very useful for the purpose. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and one feature which doesn't seem to work for me now is that when I load a VOB into DVDSubEdit, the dropdown in the "Subpic selection" section never seems to have any options in it except for "All Streams". Previously I used to be able to select an individual subtitle stream/language here and then tick the "Only show forced subpics" checkbox in order to see which streams contained forced subtitles, if any.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Or is it related to Windows 10? Or is it just something peculiar to the last several VOBs that I've loaded?

Thanks for your insight.
For the dropdown to be enabled, IIRC, DVDSE has to read the IFO files that are associated with the VOB file. Normally it just looks for them in the same directory the VOBs are in. So there could be a few things happening:
- There's no IFO file in the dir of the VOB
- DVDSE is not able to locate the IFO for some reason that's related to windows10...

I don't have windows10 so I can't reproduce your problem.... I would check whether opening the main IFO (VIDEO_TS.ifo) instead of the VOB helps...
Jeanl
Old 28th March 2016, 02:15   #1131  |  Link
osullic

Thanks for the prompt reply, which has allowed me to solve my problem. The problem was not to do with Windows 10, but rather the fact that (coinciding with my move to Windows 10) I've been using a slightly different naming scheme for my VOB files recently - I've started including the PGC number in the filename, for my own reference (like this: VTS_01_PGC_06_1.VOB), but this seems to interfere with DVDSubEdit's ability to autodetect the IFO file in the same folder - I suppose that DVDSubEdit looks for an IFO file with the same name as the VOB file (the same, that is, other than the final number in the filename), but since my IFO filename doesn't include the PGC number, DVDSubEdit isn't making the association between the VOB and the IFO. I've just retried it without the PGC number in the VOB filename, and DVDSubEdit successfully detects the individual subtitle streams as before.

Thanks again.
osullic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 02:24   #1132  |  Link
jeanl

Yes, that's the problem...