Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 17th November 2006, 22:40   #1  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Impossible to back-up DVD with any method?

I recently bought from the UK an old cartoon series called David the Gnome and as I do with all my new DVD purchases I'd like to back-up the set. The set is comprised of 4 DVDs of which the first backed up with no problem.

The second disc I'm finding is impossible to backup. No matter what method I use, DVD Shrink and Nero Recode will crash either silently or with a "programming error" message. Here are the methods I've tried:

*AnyDVD (6.0.8.0) in background->DVDDecrypter to ISO file->DVD Shrink
*AnyDVD (6.0.8.0) in background->DVDDecrypter to ISO file->Nero Recode (2.3.2.0)
*AnyDVD (6.0.8.0) in background->DVD Shrink directly
*Ripit4Me (1.5.6.0)->DVDDecrypter to ISO file->both shrink and recode
*DVDFabDecrypter (3.0.3.8 beta) backup disc in file mode->DVD shrink

It's important to note that this disc is BRAND new and also I'm turning on all the advanced options in DVD shrink. I get the "programming error" at the 100% of the encoding stage. I'm having shrink save to an ISO file and am NOT burning directly from any program to disc. All the faqs I've read on the DVD Shrink forums don't seem to address this problem exactly.

Also important to note is the fact that I've never seen this problem with DVDShrink, and moreover this is the first problem I've ever had backup up any of my DVDs, and I go through the motions frequently.

Can anyone suggest anything, or have I overlooked something here?

EDIT: This DVD is R2 and according to stats reported by AnyDVD is not CSS protected.

Last edited by chipzoller; 17th November 2006 at 22:43.
chipzoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2006, 00:46   #2  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Use RipIt4Me in File mode and use FixVTS. Any authoring/multiplexing error that is on the disk will not be caught in ISO mode.

Or it may be an MPEG error.

Try doing a deep analysis in DVD Shrink before encoding (or did that already complete satisfactorily?)

Otherwise, a mock strip might help. Run the ripped project thru VobBlanker - process all , tick both process titles and menus and also tick use input folder.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2006, 00:59   #3  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

blutach,

Sorry this thread got through...I tried to delete it about a minute after I posted it as I found another thread during my searches on the DVDshrink forum that might solve this problem (am still testing currently) but you beat me to it
Nevertheless thanks for your suggestion. If this fix I found doesn't solve it I'll try it out and report back.
Old 18th November 2006, 02:37   #4  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

NP chipzoller. Hope all goes well for you.

Regards

Old 18th November 2006, 06:08   #5  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

blutach,
Quote:
Use RipIt4Me in File mode and use FixVTS
Done and as of yet no difference.

Quote:
Try doing a deep analysis in DVD Shrink before encoding (or did that already complete satisfactorily?)
Yes, it completed without a problem.

Quote:
Run the ripped project thru VobBlanker
Did that in addition to the first quote above and with DVDShrink loading those files but backing up to an ISO still makes the program crash.
I'm currently doing it again with the "fixed" files processed with the above methods and having shrink backup to files instead of creating an image to see if this has any effect.
I, unfortunately, am not an expert in DVD (re)authoring and so must rely on the expertise of people such as yourself on this forum. I tried to do my homework before announcing my problem, but if there is something I have failed to attempt please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: All is not well...still crashes silently and leaves me with about 4.5GB of shrinked files. It looks like its either crashing on encoding the 4th or 5th title of the disc. It may be the 4th title is what is causing all the problems: it is an episode synopsis guide of the episodes on the disc but is in a strange format, not video, but perhaps stills. The 5th title is an episode from another series. I think as a solution I may have to nix the 4th title to start with.
Any other tricks up your sleeves?

Last edited by chipzoller; 18th November 2006 at 15:04.
Old 18th November 2006, 06:21   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

1) In light of your problem, have you tried playing the original DVD on your PC, to see if it exhibits any glitches?

2) I'd return the set in exchange for a new replacement set of this August 21, 2006 DVD release...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2006, 20:37   #7  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Quote:
1) In light of your problem, have you tried playing the original DVD on your PC, to see if it exhibits any glitches?
No glitches of any kind noticed.

Well I think I have a resolution to this problem albeit not a complete one. After closely watching where both Nero and DVDShrink crash into the encoding I found a common thread: the last title sequence is an episode linked to the "extras" menu of a series provided as a bonus. Since both programs crashed when encountering this I just told DVDShrink to replace that title with an image. Encoding will now complete but obviously without that episode. And as mentioned above, when watching this bonus episode from the disc (through its entirety) I noticed no abnormalities. I still can't figure out why this caused it to crash, especially sense I ran the files through ripit4me, fixvts, and vobblanker. Oh well, at least I got a backup of this disc even if it isn't a 1:1.
Old 18th November 2006, 22:24   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I still can't figure out why this caused it to crash, especially sense I ran the files through ripit4me, fixvts, and vobblanker
This set of DVDs likely DOESN'T have any special copy protection. Therefore, it's quite possible that one of the settings you used (like "Remove tiny cells" in "RipIt4Me"), in one of the programs you mentioned, may be the cause of your problem.

I'd suggest you try using ONLY DVD Decrypter (WITHOUT "AnyDVD") to rip "All files" in "File" mode - and then run the rip through DVD Shrink...
Old 19th November 2006, 01:49   #9  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Quote:
I'd suggest you try using ONLY DVD Decrypter (WITHOUT "AnyDVD") to rip "All files" in "File" mode - and then run the rip through DVD Shrink...
Negative. DVD Shrink hangs at 91% on the analysis pass, presumably at the same "faulty" title sequence as I mentioned in a previous post.
Old 19th November 2006, 03:17   #10  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Maybe a full mock strip of the offending titleset will help. Do this in IfoEdit - search to find a post by 2COOL on how to do it.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 19th November 2006 at 10:05.
Old 19th November 2006, 03:39   #11  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

...am doing as you suggest but since I've never used IfoEdit before (v0.971) and follow 2COOL's steps, I get this error when IfoEdit begins to process the VOB files of the IFO in question: The IFO Endsector does not match the filesize.

I have not continued with the how-to guide but wanted to ask if this error points to the real problem?

EDIT: Regardless of that error I pressed through the remainder of the guide and started the whole DVD Shrink scenario again. This time, shrink crashed silently during the analysis pass (I didn't observe how far in it was).
I've come to the conclusion that this one disc is satanic en forme de DVD.

EDIT2: Only disc 2 gave me problems with DVD Shrink. The other 3 discs backed up without any problems.

Last edited by chipzoller; 19th November 2006 at 14:08.
Old 19th November 2006, 04:34   #12  |  Link
setarip_old

Again, return and exchange them...
Old 19th November 2006, 10:10   #13  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Given this DVD is not protected in an advanced way, I have to assume from your last post that it is badly authored - in particular, the IFO sounds corrupt. If we had the IFOs, we could probably fix them - but that is not allowed here.

setarip's advice is good - return it, if you can (I do understand you bought it overseas).

However, if you have DVD Remake Pro, it also can - in very many cases - adjust for bad authoring. Also, PgcEdit also fixes many bad table length errors - try loading the rip into that.

But, your original "solution" in post 7 might be the best - ignore the bad titleset.

Regards