Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 22nd July 2004, 18:36   #1  |  Link
Paddington
Author of SubtitleCreator

SubtitleCreator (alternative to srt2sup)

Updated 13-06-2005
I have been adding subtitles to DVDs for some time now, but converting srt files to sup files was a bit inconvenient wrt the subtitle colors. Although srt2sup created another tool, SupRemap, to solve this problem, I found that it took to much time and as I wanted to try C#, I wrote a program myself, SubtitleCreator, that does what srt2sup can do, and much more:
  • Read the original color palette from the IFO file, and you can select the colors you want to use
  • Determines PAL/NTSC video format
  • Use italics/bold/underline, in SubRip's and MicroDVD format
  • Use Larger/large/small fonts
  • Align text to the left/right/center
  • Basic synchronization using time shifting or frame rate conversion
  • Advanced synchronization by synchronizing with an original SUP file
  • Join multiple subtitle files, e.g. if the downloaded subtitle file is split in two parts.
  • It's much faster
  • Preview DVD + synchronization with DVD
  • Manipulate existing SUPs (remapping of colors, or repositioning vertically)
  • Stretch subtitles vertically or horizontally
  • Edit subtitles
  • Delete, insert and split subtitles
  • Search subtitles
  • Use a special algorithm for rendering Persian fonts, or other fonts where the characters are connected.
  • The subtitles are now automatically checked if they are too long. You can jump to the next too long subtitle using CTRL-N (can be turned off in the settings menu)
  • By default, subtitles with @ or HTTP etc are being unchecked, which can be turned of in the settings menu (can also be turned of in the settings menu)
  • By default, I turn on anti-aliasing to make the display look nicer, but this can be turned of in the settings menu, allowing you to see the actual output.
  • Auto-adjust SUP position (automatically position the SUP in the currently selected subtitle text area) to the tools menu.
  • Added (un-)select all subtitles to the listView's context menu.
  • Added remove line breaks to the listView's context menu.
  • Added a new (requested) aspect ratio of 2.21:1.
  • Added search function to the Manipulate SUP window.

Similar to srt2sup, you can also:
  • Position subtitles
  • Position the subtitles using a screenshot of your movie
  • Deselect certain subtitles

Additionally, the zip file contains an updated version of my guide, explaining in detail using screenshots what you need to do to add a subtitle to a DVD.

HOWEVER, PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU ALSO NEED TO HAVE THE .NET FRAMEWORK INSTALLED!!!

Please, try it out and let me know what you think of it.

Finally, in the thread will you find people mentioning bugs that have already been solved.

Last edited by Paddington; 13th June 2005 at 10:55. Reason: Reflecting the recent changes
Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 05:15   #2  |  Link
castellanos

Nice!!!! What did you do about the subtitle quality? Do they look the same like Srt2Sup or better?
Greetings!
castellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 19:55   #3  |  Link
Paddington

Quality is about the same, unfortunately - there is not much that you can do with the quality, as you only have four colors to create them, so anti-aliasing options are limited.
Old 23rd July 2004, 20:40   #4  |  Link
castellanos

Well... colors are just fine, I can't complain, but what about the text quality? because in Srt2Sup are good, but not so well round formed ,as for instance, VobSub.
castellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 10:30   #5  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

On the big red .NET FRAMEWORK link in the first post..
niamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 02:41   #6  |  Link
mafe

i had a problem, i used your nice program and im experiencing this:

thats lines... i dont know which software added it...

subtitle creator or ifoedit.

someone can help me please?

sorry for my bad english...
mafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2004, 23:57   #7  |  Link
Triple-z

thanks for this nice program.

i got some problems with it too:

1. i get the subtitle with some gray background and not transperent (i did mark it as black transperent background). how can i fix it? i try to fix it a few times and still got this background..

2. its NTSC dvd, and i want the subtitles to be lower than the picture, in the black area. is it possible?

thanks!
Triple-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2004, 06:25   #8  |  Link
Paddington

Some answers

With respect to the picture showing the uggly lines - I think that might be my fault. I will check the code, but it might be that I don't clean the bitmap (where I draw the text) completely, so there are still some leftovers from the previous subtitle... I will check...

About the question regarding the text quality: I use the standard graphical functions of the operating system to write the subtitle text to a bitmap, and convert the bitmap to a sup file. Improving the text quality is therefore the best you can get using the PAL/NTSC resolution (without writing my own text plotting function). If you are not satisfied, try using a different font...

About transparency problems: I am surprised to hear about that one. The only thing you might check is to make sure that you don't use the dark gray (=default) background color for something else. I haven't tested that, but there seems to be a limitation if you use one color twice, and one of them should be transparent.
Another difficulty might be with NTSC - IfoEdit has some problems with it, so you might give ReJig a try.

About positioning in the black area: I suppose that should be possible. Make a screenshot of your DVD and use this as the background image. Next, position the subtitles in the black area where you want them.
Old 26th August 2004, 13:28   #9  |  Link
lawesly

Open Source ?

Hi, Paddington
Your new subtitle tool is very good, can you Open Source for your subtitlecreator?
Thanks.
lawesly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2004, 14:15   #10  |  Link
crashi

Quote:
Originally posted by mafe
i had a problem, i used your nice program and im experiencing this:

thats lines... i dont know which software added it...

subtitle creator or ifoedit.

someone can help me please?

sorry for my bad english...
Same problems here.
crashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2004, 06:53   #11  |  Link
Paddington

As I don't have a lot of time to change/maintain the source code, I will consider open sourcing it if the interest is sufficient. I will have to look at SourceForge how to do that, though... Any suggestions?
Old 5th September 2004, 16:39   #12  |  Link
lawesly

You're very "great"! We suggest that you try for a project at SourceForge,

that'll have a great help to all!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddington
As I don't have a lot of time to change/maintain the source code, I will consider open sourcing it if the interest is sufficient. I will have to look at SourceForge how to do that, though... Any suggestions?
Old 7th September 2004, 06:34   #13  |  Link
TomSem

Great program

already done some movies with this great app but still having problems with the lines at the bottom
Old 22nd September 2004, 04:15   #14  |  Link
finiteyoda

Hi, just tried the program to make my first DVD! I think it definitely saves a lot of time vs. sup2srt. Here were a few things I noticed:

1) Yah, I got those creepy lines along the bottom of the subtitles too.
2) Lines that are in italics, aren't centered, they're left-justified.
3) I used SUPremap to change the colors in the SUP file created by SubtitleCreator... oddly, though, while I set the outlines to be black and the text to be white, when I opened the DVD it was the reverse. I fixed the problem by swapping the colors in the IFO, so I wouldn't have to remultiplex, but I was wondering if the source of the confusion was your program or SUPremap's?
4) No vertical alignment... I noticed this in SRT2SUP as well, and it slightly annoys me... On a lot of DVD's I notice that subtitles have bottom vertical alignment, so if you have a single line of text, it's located where the 2nd line of text would normally be (rather than in the middle). This keeps shorter subtitles out of the way more, by having them closer to bottom. It'd be nice to have a way to control this.
5) I couldn't tell if the vertical position controls worked or not... in the Preview, the vertical position is always reset, no matter how many times I set it.
6) There seems no way to control the color of subtitles. For instance, one project I'm working on, song lyrics are in yellow, and regular subtitles are in white. It'd be cool to have a way to set the colors. I know SubRip supports a <font color> tag, but Subtitle Workshop can't seem to interpret it... and I'm guessing SubtitleCreator can't as of now either?

Other than that, a fabulous program! I was also really amazed at how much faster it is than SRT2SUP (seemed about 10 times faster?). If you make this open source, I'd be interested in helping out too. I have a lot of experience programming in Visual C++. If you need help moving your project to SourceForge, I could help out with that too. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Keep up the good work!
Jason
finiteyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2004, 03:29   #15  |  Link
Paddington

Here a quick reply...

1) Still on my list...
2) Indeed, lines in italic (bold, or underlined for that matter) are not centered. The reason being that it is quite difficult and inaccurate to measure the length of an italic string, and determine the correct position.
3) I wouldn't know where it goes wrong. I always use the original IFO file, and select from the colors that go with it.
4) I actually never noticed - that shouldn't take too long to include as a new feature.
5) It does work - but I never bothered to use the new settings. I normally take a screenshot using Nero Showview, open it in the preview window, position the subtitle box where I want it, and then never check again.
6) I never had this requirement - I am also familiar with some subtitles for the hearing impaired using two colors to denote the different speakers, but the main problem is that most subtitles you can download don't use color tags. And I am just too lazy to do it by hand myself...

The main speed advantage is, I think, because I don't scroll all the commands in the bottom window, and I have no preview enabled by default, which really slows things down....

Like written in a pm, I would appreciate your help in setting up a sourceforge project.
Old 23rd September 2004, 19:17   #16  |  Link
finiteyoda

Ah, one other thing before I forget, I also noticed different results when reading IFO subpicture palettes using SUPremap and SubtitleCreator. At least, when I opened an IFO using SUPremap, I got a pretty basic 16-color palette (pretty much all the basic colors, and a grayscale)... opening up the same IFO in SubtitleCreator, everything was dark red, except for the last 4 colors (the grayscale) which came out OK... I"m not totally sure what the problem here is, but thought I'd mention it before I forgot.

Besides that, regarding SourceForge, you've got a pm!
finiteyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2004, 11:57   #17  |  Link
lawesly

Hi,Paddington,
You can goto sourceforge.net website and create a new user account at "my sf.net" link page, then enter https://sourceforge.net/register/ to registering a new Project for your Great new subtitle tool - SubtitleCreator!
Enjoy please!
Old 27th September 2004, 05:16   #18  |  Link
kitsaros2000

Thx to Paddington i made also a tool that generates only sup from a txt file . I was trying before Paddington had made this tool but i couldnt find any conclusion ... (im a crappuy programmer lets face it).
Mine is wrotten in delphi6 and doesnt need the .net framework since Paddington made this thread i dont want to advertize my tool but if someone wants it just pm me . I made this post because mine SEEMS to not add these lines at the bottom .

Bye and thx again Paddington !
kitsaros2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2004, 07:29   #19  |  Link
Paddington

Just to let you know, I have requested an open source project at sourceforce, but it will take up to two days before they will inspect my request. So hopefully, you should have the sources available pretty soon, and you can help remove these damn lines (which I actually don't see myself :-)
Old 27th September 2004, 10:22   #20  |  Link
TomSem

Hi paddington,

you can see the line if you choose font arial narrow , regular , size 22. I figure out the lines depends on the font.
Tell me what font u use so i can get rid of those lines also