Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th March 2016, 20:37   #36681  |  Link
Hyllian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I think with the reduced ringing, super-xbr is almost as good as NNEDI3, but with much lower performance impact. NNEDI3 is still a bit better regarding aliasing (however, it also seems to remove some of the source on the other hand).
Kudos for your work!
Thanks. I agree with you, NNEDI3 provides the better IQ, specially because it doesn't produce thick black/white lines in sharp edges. This is something I think about but couldn't figure out how NNEDI3 does it.
Hyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 20:38   #36682  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
For what it's worth, the new glitch handling mode didn't help for me with a GTX 960. I still have to keep my present queue set to 6.
Ok. Behaviour was the same? Meaning presentation queue simply didn't fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
I tried the "alternative glitch handling mode" but it didn't really help. Sometimes when I move forward or backward (I don't mean when displyaing the seekbar) into the video the queues filled but it's pretty rare.

If I reduce the prepresented frames to 4 frames, the queues fill correctly but I don't really want to modify that... The only combination that doesn't give me dropped frames with interlaced DVD are :
- CPU queue size : 23
- GPU queue size : 14
- Frames presented in advance : 6

Deinterlacing seems to be pretty erratic most of the time.

Strange, 6 doesn't work for me. I have to use 4.
I'm a bit confused. You say 6 doesn't work for you, but then you say the only way that doesn't give you dropped frames with interlaced DVD is 6. Can you explain?

Are we talking about a totally separate issue here, with interlaced DVD? Or is it the same issue? It seems to be the first time you mentioned interlaced DVD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Jump to time (by clicking on the time scale in MPC-HC) is broken since 0.90.4 (WinXP). To be precise, the first click works but the second one is not and the player may hang after it.
Sample: http://mir.cr/2XNEHWTK
Works for me! Are you 100% sure that this problem was introduced in 0.90.4? When the player hangs, does the player still react to mouse or keyboard actions? Or is it totally frozen? In the latter case please press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break and wait a few seconds. Hopefully a freeze report text file is then created on your desktop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
with d3d11 "old" my queues donīt fill, with the new alternate now my queues fill and the a/v are perfect synced, but i have a slight perfomance loss because the present a frame for every vsync option
What does the "present a frame for every vsync" option have to do with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
i donīt output 10 bit and 3d, so there any advantage for me to use d3d11 ? or should i stay on d3d9?
There should be no quality difference, so use what works best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
madshi, have you already taken a look at the latest super-xbr update? Seems like a big deal to me.
There are new versions of Adaptive Sharpen and SuperRes too.
I'm aware. FWIW, the new super-xbr weights are mostly for game upscales. For real videos I found them to be slightly worse than the old ones. I need to test the new anti-ringing code, though, maybe that it an improvement, although I've been using my own code for that, anyway, so I'll have to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyllian View Post
Though the new color distance code I'm using on standard xbr might some way improve other filters (including sxbr).

Instead using just luma, I found a source that presents a different way to calc distance between colors. See the source here (thanks to Sp00kyfox): http://www.compuphase.com/cmetric.htm

I played a bit with that formula and modified it a bit for my needs. So, the new xBR shaders are using that and it improves color, specially in sharp red/blue transitions. I don't know if these sharp color transitions are critical in movies as they are for games, maybe cartoons could benefit.
I suppose you're using the color distance to calculate the angles and weights? But the actual interpolation is still done with the original RGB values? To be honest, I'm not fully sure if this would make things better or worse for movies. Would have to be tested.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 20:42   #36683  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.14 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: using NNEDI3 sometimes resulted in black screen or crash
* fixed: 3D playback resulted in stuttering after about 1 hour of playback
* fixed: non-frame-packed 3D had scaling errors when using odd window sizes
* small performance improvement for non-frame-packed 3D rendering
* log file now never exceeds 512MB space, old log data is discarded if needed
Didn't really get around doing much this weekend. Hopefully more changes next week.
Old 6th March 2016, 20:46   #36684  |  Link
Hyllian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I suppose you're using the color distance to calculate the angles and weights? But the actual interpolation is still done with the original RGB values? To be honest, I'm not fully sure if this would make things better or worse for movies. Would have to be tested.
The color distance is used to calculate the edge directions (diagonals and horizontal/vertical). But I suppose movies wouldn't benefit much from it, because you hardly see sharp color transitions on them. Maybe cartoons could benefit, though. BTW, I didn't implement it on super-xbr shaders.

You should see if the new soft anti-ringing is good enough for madVR.
Hyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 20:55   #36685  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

For movies we usually have 4:2:0 color subsampling (even for cartoons!), so I suppose it wouldn't help there much. It might even harm, because it could reduce edge calculation accuracy for the luma channel, which is the most important channel. Anyway, might still be worth a try, at some point...

Yes, I'm planning to try your anti-ringing code and compare it to my own super-xbr AR code. Maybe your's is better now for super-xbr, or maybe I can combine both or something.
Old 6th March 2016, 21:06   #36686  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
I need to test the new anti-ringing code, though, maybe that it an improvement, although I've been using my own code for that, anyway, so I'll have to compare.
Please also try the infamous American Dad cartoon example, the difference in ringing is very visible with it after quadrupling.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 21:54   #36687  |  Link
mogli

v0.90.14 seems to work fine but when playback starts OSD shows:

madVR reports:
- creating shader file failed
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 22:13   #36688  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Argh, will have to create a new build.
Old 6th March 2016, 22:22   #36689  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Are you 100% sure that this problem was introduced in 0.90.4? When the player hangs, does the player still react to mouse or keyboard actions? Or is it totally frozen? In the latter case please press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break and wait a few seconds. Hopefully a freeze report text file is then created on your desktop?
Yes, the issue was introduced in 0.90.4. But my issue decription was incorrect, sorry. When clicking on the time scale, it takes a few secs for the player to react. Then the playback continues (both with 0.90.3 and 0.90.4+), but with 0.90.4+, the player stops responding to controls.
To be precise, I was able to reproduce the issue on 0.90.3 a couple of times, too, when I clicked on the time scale again too early (i. e. before the playback resumes after my previous click), but it is rarely. With 0.90.4+, the issue is always reproducible.
Freeze reports: 0.90.4, 0.90.3

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 23:03   #36690  |  Link
playa21

Subtitles move problem

Hi,
I have a bug with subtiles move feature.
In a movie 2:35, at a certain point of time, the subtiles are moved back to the original position(outside black bars)
My options :
disable scaling if image size changes by only 2 lines
Moved subtiles at bottom.
Detect hard coded black bar
Keep bar visible forever
Crop black bar
Using xvsubfilter

Cheers
playa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 23:24   #36691  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Yes, the issue was introduced in 0.90.4. But my issue decription was incorrect, sorry. When clicking on the time scale, it takes a few secs for the player to react. Then the playback continues (both with 0.90.3 and 0.90.4+), but with 0.90.4+, the player stops responding to controls.
To be precise, I was able to reproduce the issue on 0.90.3 a couple of times, too, when I clicked on the time scale again too early (i. e. before the playback resumes after my previous click), but it is rarely. With 0.90.4+, the issue is always reproducible.
Freeze reports: 0.90.4, 0.90.3
Ok, thanks, will try to implement a workaround for this next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa21 View Post
In a movie 2:35, at a certain point of time, the subtiles are moved back to the original position(outside black bars)
My options :
Keep bar visible forever
Crop black bar
Using xvsubfilter
I'll need a sample with which I can reproduce this problem.
Old 6th March 2016, 23:26   #36692  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.15 released

Code:
* fixed: "creating shader file failed" (introduced in v0.90.14)
Old 7th March 2016, 03:26   #36693  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
madVR v0.90.15 released

Code:
* fixed: "creating shader file failed" (introduced in v0.90.14)
Thanks!

After a short test, seems to be working fine!

I wanted to ask this, is it possible to implement more aggressive edge thinning algorithm?
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 03:41   #36694  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I wanted to ask this, is it possible to implement more aggressive edge thinning algorithm?
Madshi, I asked about raising the max value for edge thinning earlier, would you mind raising it to 5?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 07:36   #36695  |  Link
ionutm80

Hi guys, madshi,

I really need your help on a specific bug.
But first my specs: GTX 960 4GB, GeForce driver 362.00 (clean instal), MPC-HC x64 1.7.10, LavFilters Nightly 0.67.0-142, madVR 0.90.13, SVP 4 Pro, Philips TV 1080p 60Hz. I don't know at exact which version of madVR the bug started to appear but for sure it was after 0.89, however I've only tested 90.12 and 90.13 for the moment. I have 4 profiles set in madVR: 2160p, 1080p, 720p and SD. For the last 2 I'm using luma doubling with NNEDI3 32 and 64 neurons respectively. When I try to play SD material (720x576 PAL DVDs ripped to mkvs) if MPC-HC is not in full screen or maximized windowed screen than madVR crashes (I can post tonight the crash report). This does not happen when I play 720p or 1080p material, I can squeeze MPC-HC size or drag from its margins in all directions and it still playing smooth. I have repeated the test on another PC, this time an Intel Core I3 NUC with HD4400 and there madVR does not crash no matter what material I play and what is the size of the MPC-HC window. It seems that the bug is strictly related to NVidia and playback of 720x576 material. I have also tested with MPC-HC launched from Kodi and since it's going directly fullscreen there is no issue on both computers. What is annoying however is that even if I select in MPC-HC the option to launch files in full screen it does not do this leading to crash of madVR when I play 720x576 material. Again the bug is non existent if I put manually MPC-HC in fullscreen or in maximized windowed mode. Do you have any suggestion on fixing this?

Kind Regards.

Last edited by ionutm80; 7th March 2016 at 07:54.
ionutm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 09:13   #36696  |  Link
Vyral

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa21 View Post
Hi,
My options :
Keep bar visible forever
Crop black bar
Using xvsubfilter

Cheers
Same thing here. madVR v0.90.13.
Whenever I play a video with back bar, the subtitles appear in the balck bar during the 5 first minutes of playback and then return inside the video.
The only option I've checked in zoom control is "Moved subtiles to bottom of the screen" everything else is unchecked.
I'm also using the lastest version of XYSubFilter.
I can't say for sure which version of madVR introduced it but it was introduced recently.
Old 7th March 2016, 09:30   #36697  |  Link
kabal223

Madshi, sorry to bother you, but do you have any plans to improve the 60hz 3:2 pulldown playback? Because after some further testing 58hz is still choppy for me, the only workaround Ive found is using the framerate doubler in the deinterlace options of ffdshow, but I have to also use reclock with forced 24fps, this way I get a perfect 3:2 pulldown playback, the problem is that reclock is not reliable for me and overall this workaround uses to many resources, I might have issues with really high bitrate files.

Thanks!
kabal223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 09:53   #36698  |  Link
playa21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
Same thing here. madVR v0.90.13.
Whenever I play a video with back bar, the subtitles appear in the balck bar during the 5 first minutes of playback and then return inside the video.
The only option I've checked in zoom control is "Moved subtiles to bottom of the screen" everything else is unchecked.
I'm also using the lastest version of XYSubFilter.
I can't say for sure which version of madVR introduced it but it was introduced recently.
In 90.10, I have the problem
playa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 10:49   #36699  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
I'm a bit confused. You say 6 doesn't work for you, but then you say the only way that doesn't give you dropped frames with interlaced DVD is 6. Can you explain?

Are we talking about a totally separate issue here, with interlaced DVD? Or is it the same issue? It seems to be the first time you mentioned interlaced DVD...
When I said 6 doesn't work for me, I'm talking about the issue that the queues don't fill with 4K upscaling in D3D11 exclusive mode (10 bit). I have to use 4 in that case or desactivate 10 bit.

My problems with interlaced DVD (I'm talking about DVD but I think it's related to all interlaced content, it's just that 99% of my interlaced content is DVD) are nothing related to D3D11 exclusive mode or the latest MadVr version, you're right I never mentioned it. I've always found it very hard to avoid dropped frames with deinterlacing activated and "don't rerender frames when fade in/out is detected" unchecked because I can't use high CPU or GPU queue, the queues don't fill completely with deinterlacing activated. The only way I've found so far is to use 23-14-6 queues but even with that combination, I'm not totally confident to avoid dropped frames with some DVD...

Last edited by Werewolfy; 7th March 2016 at 11:01.
Werewolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 12:21   #36700  |  Link
fedpul

Hi madshi, the problem with black screens during playback when using NNEDI is not fixed, for me at least. I tried 90.15 last night and got two black screens in 40 minutes.

Settings used:
DX 11 Max Queues
Chroma: NNEDI 32
Luma: Jinc AR
Downscaling: SSIM 2D 100% AR LL
Doubling: (Always) NNEDI 32

System:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz
GTX 970 @ 1400/1950
16 GB RAM

Thanks in advance!
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling