Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th April 2016, 21:32   #37381  |  Link
mysterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
LAV doesn't dither if you use madVR...
unless you do YUV -> RGB conversion... so leave that on untouched, then only madVR is dithering..
Thank You!
Is it right that MadVR does by it's dithering, in general, same correction of color space as videofilter does by YUV -> RGB conversion and movies will be look correctly on simple PC monitor if leave that option on "untouched"? Or, maybe, should I do something else to watch videos correctly in this option mode?

Last edited by mysterix; 6th April 2016 at 08:34. Reason: Info correction
mysterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 00:46   #37382  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Someone could tell me about the option present a frame every v sync? I made some tests but i really don t knoe if help or not... this option low a little me tv refresh rate, sometimes seens to smooth sometimes seens to crap... when should i use this? Why d3d9 don t have the same? If i try reclock should i use that or not?
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 01:43   #37383  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
Someone could tell me about the option present a frame every v sync? I made some tests but i really don t knoe if help or not... this option low a little me tv refresh rate, sometimes seens to smooth sometimes seens to crap... when should i use this? Why d3d9 don t have the same? If i try reclock should i use that or not?
This option influences how madVR interfaces to D3D11. With it off madVR will only give D3D11 a new frame if it has a new frame, relying on D3D11 to duplicate frames for each v-sync. With it on madVR will give D3D11 each duplicate as a new frame for every v-sync, this takes more performance but also might prevent issues if the driver has trouble duplicating frames or something.

Ideally it would be better if madVR worked perfectly with it disabled but the only downside is a small performance hit. It is a good option if it prevents presentation glitches but if you don't have presentation glitches I wouldn't worry about it at all. Reclock is not relevant.
Old 6th April 2016, 03:51   #37384  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This option influences how madVR interfaces to D3D11. With it off madVR will only give D3D11 a new frame if it has a new frame, relying on D3D11 to duplicate frames for each v-sync. With it on madVR will give D3D11 each duplicate as a new frame for every v-sync, this takes more performance but also might prevent issues if the driver has trouble duplicating frames or something.

Ideally it would be better if madVR worked perfectly with it disabled but the only downside is a small performance hit. It is a good option if it prevents presentation glitches but if you don't have presentation glitches I wouldn't worry about it at all. Reclock is not relevant.
thanks for the explanation, this option alters my tv behavior, i don´t know why the refresh rates decrease a little, also alters the dropped/repeated frames every...
and with reclock alters the the clock adaptations compared to d3d9 and d3d11 without this...
do you know how d3d9 handle the frames and v sync?
Old 6th April 2016, 07:58   #37385  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
thanks for the explanation, this option alters my tv behavior, i don´t know why the refresh rates decrease a little, also alters the dropped/repeated frames every...
and with reclock alters the the clock adaptations compared to d3d9 and d3d11 without this...
do you know how d3d9 handle the frames and v sync?
How odd, I would leave it checked then.

I am pretty sure D3D9 always presents a new frame for every v-sync.
Old 6th April 2016, 08:08   #37386  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxrn View Post
It's a real shame 'move subtitles' breaks with italic text - one line with just a "<i>" is enough to break all lines for the remainder of the movie. You can't reset the setting in madVR and have it back to normal, the only way is to restart the movie and skip to previous position every time italic text shows up.

Moving the subtitles into the active video area is one of my favorite features in madVR. Is there an another way of doing this, without having to manually enter new positions for every file you want to play?

It would be great with simple profiles, i.e. something like "if croppedAR = 1.35 -> move subtitles to x.y" but I don't think that's possible.
Breaks? Do you have the newest xySubFilter? What format subtitles?

I usually disable that option but I don't think this is expected to be broken.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:42   #37387  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Breaks? Do you have the newest xySubFilter? What format subtitles?

I usually disable that option but I don't think this is expected to be broken.
Yes it is unfortunately : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...66#post1761566
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 18:05   #37388  |  Link
Telion

There is another way to workaround this issue - you can just mux an external .srt subtitle file into a single .mkv with the video, as the bug with <i> only affects external .srt but not internal ones.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 04:37   #37389  |  Link
Sunspark

Hi, I just wanted to leave feedback on a system that isn't high-end but still fairly decent. I'm using an Intel Broadwell HD Graphics 6000 GPU with an older version of MadVR .89.18 using the D3D 9 path, LAV 0.68 on an Intel NUC5i5RYK running Windows 7.

Since I cannot use the high-end scaling algorithms, I focused on the ones that I could. I'm sensitive to things like PWM, dithering and see momentary distortion--if I am watching something in motion then look away at a still object. So I am picky to say the least.

There was too much talk in the past about people liking Jinc AR/Jinc AR for both image and chroma upscaling and I think they are wrong for just selecting it as automatically the best.

There's something about Jinc that I find has this sort of blurry oily look to it. It's subtle, but it is there and I can't help noticing it.

After I tested awhile with chroma upscaling on video, most easily done with video that you are not image upscaling or downscaling, I think Mitchell-Netravali with the anti-ringing filter checked is a good one to use for chroma upscaling. It seems to have that right mix of clarity with just a hint of smoothing which I think also comes in handy with lower resolution sources or bitrates.

People's faces are a good thing to focus on, not as a still, but while in motion. Skin pores too visible? Then the algo is too sharp. Skin pores or other stuff too smeared pushing them slightly into the uncanny valley direction? Then the algo is too smooth. Same thing with backgrounds.. dancing pixels vs smears.

Certainly it has been eclipsed by the new high-end stuff, but if you're not on a high end system like mine I urge you to consider Mitchell-Netravali for chroma upscaling media, including anime, not solely video.

For image upscaling, I tend to be lazy and just use DXVA for both chroma and image. If you don't want to do that, then Lanczos 3 Anti-Ringing is a fine choice.

You don't want it too sharp or too smooth. Lanczos 4 is going to be smoother than 3, which you don't need if you're already using Mitchell-Netravali for chroma which is already leaning on the smooth side. Adding both will be too smooth I find. 3 is a better choice than 4.

I never used Spline much at all. I found it was too similar to Lanczos but different in a Coke vs Pepsi sense.

Everyone's setup is different.

A link I will throw in here that I just stumbled across,
http://faculty.cs.tamu.edu/schaefer/...ine/index.html there is a paper too if you shorten the URL. The link shows the effect of filters on SVG rasterization. Maybe it has been seen here before, but new to me and interesting to play with, the patterns are designed to expose aliasing problems.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 05:11   #37390  |  Link
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
If I were to advice someone something like Panasonic ST/VT/ZT series, then of course I would suggest to select 8bit in NVidia CP and 8bit in madVR .
I have a 60" ST60 and I'm still trying to figure out the best balance of options for it (I watch about a 50/50 split of 720p regular TV and Anime). Does 10bit+ not help even though there's an option in the Nvidia CP? I haven't really messed around with that yet.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 08:41   #37391  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I have a 60" ST60 and I'm still trying to figure out the best balance of options for it (I watch about a 50/50 split of 720p regular TV and Anime). Does 10bit+ not help even though there's an option in the Nvidia CP? I haven't really messed around with that yet.
Even feet away from my VT50 I can't see much of a difference, so you won't notice any difference between 8 and 10 bit on these panels at the usual viewing distance at all.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 13:42   #37392  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post

You don't want it too sharp or too smooth. Lanczos 4 is going to be smoother than 3, which you don't need if you're already using Mitchell-Netravali for chroma which is already leaning on the smooth side. Adding both will be too smooth I find. 3 is a better choice
Lanczos 4 seens sharper than 3 to me... BTW someone know if the same algorithm produces diferents results depending on the gpu that used (excluding dxva)
Like lanczos 4 rendered by nvidia 930m appears sharper than rendered by Intel hd 5500?

Last edited by CarlosCaco; 7th April 2016 at 15:12.
Old 7th April 2016, 15:52   #37393  |  Link
videonerd

Hi madshi is DontRenderAfterStop still applicable in the latest build?
videonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 16:39   #37394  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Lanczos 4 seens sharper than 3 to me... BTW someone know if the same algorithm produces diferents results depending on the gpu that used (excluding dxva)
Like lanczos 4 rendered by nvidia 930m appears sharper than rendered by Intel hd 5500?
of cause lanczos 4 is sharper. more tabs sinc based algorithm = sharper image.
that doesn't mean lanczos4 is a better choice.

the math used on the image should have the same results. if it is different something else is the cause.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 17:59   #37395  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
AFAIK, ST60 specifically shows banding on grayscale gradient when 10bit/12bit option is used. I would stick with 8bit. On VA/SPVA/MVA panels, 12bit option helps, but Plasma uses dithering by default + you get madVR dithering, so its best to stick to 8bit.
Old 7th April 2016, 18:05   #37396  |  Link
XMonarchY

Does anyone know if using Anti-Ringing for SuperRes (Strength 3, 2x Upscaling Step) in Image Refinement improves visual quality?
Old 7th April 2016, 18:41   #37397  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Does anyone know if using Anti-Ringing for SuperRes (Strength 3, 2x Upscaling Step) in Image Refinement improves visual quality?
Not likely. At least not in test images.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 20:25   #37398  |  Link
perlita.pajares

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Sounds like a driver issue, but it's hard to say. Have you tried different GPU drivers for both Intel and NVidia GPUs? You could also try different media players, just to be safe. In any case, I think this is unlikely to madVR's fault, although I can't really say for sure.
I have tested with differents drivers and players and same response. If it is not madvr faults, it must be lav filters'.

Anyone with same problem?

Thanks

Last edited by perlita.pajares; 7th April 2016 at 21:44.
perlita.pajares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 23:47   #37399  |  Link
Sunspark

Found a performance bug in my setup with a fix. I was wondering why the rendering time on chroma was higher than it used to be in the past. It might be related to LAV 0.68.

Some numbers using a high resolution video playing in chroma upscaling mode only.

In LAV Video settings-

DXVA2 Copyback 1.6 ms
DXVA2 Native 2.6 ms

Yes, native was 1 ms slower than copyback.. which makes no sense to me, but that's what the HUD was saying.

This is with the following checked ON in madvr options:
use a separate device for presentation
use a separate device for dxva processing

Now, if you uncheck these options the rendering time in copyback jumps to 12+ ms.

I have no idea what interaction is at play here but the rendering time difference is huge with those two checked and unchecked.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 00:03   #37400  |  Link
Magik Mark

Refresh rate change

Is it possible for madvr to do the ff:

1. If video frame rate is 24 fps then switch to display refresh rate to 48hz
2. If video frame rate is 25 fps then switch to display refresh rate to 50hz

Thanks

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling