Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 4th November 2005, 08:57   #781  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I've just released a build with trellis support.
I'm already working on levels but I have received zero feedback to my questions. Since levels limit framesizes, using levels can be disastrous (if you want to enforce a level, you may need to make compromises on frame size, and likewise, if you don't want to compromise on framesize, you must bump up the level or use unrestricted) so I really need a good way to handle this. I suppose the first release will just take care of the VBV values (the necessary mv option is not exposed in cli anyway) and mb decisions, not frame sizes.
Old 4th November 2005, 09:08   #782  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I'm already working on levels but I have received zero feedback to my questions.
I can't see myself using levels much, but in any automated process, what would seem most logical to me is to give the level precedence over all other settings, ie compromise frame size and/or bitrate to meet the required level.
Old 4th November 2005, 09:12   #783  |  Link
max-holz

Don't care of my post!!!

Last edited by max-holz; 4th November 2005 at 09:14.
Old 4th November 2005, 13:26   #784  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

I think there's a bug in MeGUI that's been going on since 0.2.2.9a. When configuring the first pass in a 2-pass encode, after selecting a custom matrix the "Video Output" option gets greyed out, and so does the dropdown box with the Mode selection. Any idea why this happens? The only workaround I found is: configure the 1st pass as normal, queue it, close MeGUI, open it again, configure the second pass, queue it and start the encoding.
Old 4th November 2005, 13:54   #785  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
The only workaround I found is: configure the 1st pass as normal, queue it, close MeGUI, open it again, configure the second pass, queue it and start the encoding.
The description isn't entirely accurate.. it has nothing to do with the matrix.. it also happens if you just set the profile to high profile, close and reopen the configuration dialog. Should be easy to fix. Here's the workaround: select main profile, then select high profile again and the encoding mode field will no longer be locked. Also, why do you not use automated 2 or 3 pass mode?
Old 4th November 2005, 14:22   #786  |  Link
netchris

If that aint much trouble, i would like to see a start frame-end frame option in the avisynth script creator (or maybe itll be more noob friendly to make it starting/ending time).
Megui rocks! Thanx alot for your effort Doom9.

Old 4th November 2005, 16:55   #787  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

hmm... I'm assuming you're using a DGIndex project.. and in that case to make audio synch you need to limit the range of your DGIndex project.. if you do it in AviSynth, since there's no audio, limiting the range of frames actually does harm and no good. Or how exactly do you plan to get the audio in synch if you're limiting the encoding range in AviSynth?
Old 4th November 2005, 17:31   #788  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

@Doom9
The only way he can do it is in DGIndex...unless he's changing the audio to wav(which is a little umm well dumb) then he could just use audio dub and then trim. but yeah it makes no sense if he's planning on using it with other types of advanced audio.

Perhaps you could add the function for people who are encoding video only. They might be using it to overlay a song or something to a personal movie clip which can always be done later because sync really doesn't matter in that case.
Old 4th November 2005, 18:27   #789  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

New x264 option: --b-rdo (requires --subme 6+)
Extends RDO to B-Frames (similar to b-vhq in xvid).

Last edited by Sharktooth; 4th November 2005 at 18:51.
Old 4th November 2005, 19:59   #790  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@Sharktooth: will do as soon as I'm done with the levels. I can already force the non source dependant things and I've added a nice little check that you can run against your source and that can automatically increase the level to match your source if the current level isn't enough. I plan on using something similar for the one click mode to reduce the resolution until it matches the required level.
Old 4th November 2005, 20:35   #791  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

cool
Old 5th November 2005, 01:10   #792  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Also, why do you not use automated 2 or 3 pass mode?
I will try that, is it any different from manually setting the two passes?
Old 5th November 2005, 01:52   #793  |  Link
netchris

Im encoding mpeg files (dvb source- video clips in exact), so i have to use DGIndex to create d2v files. I only play with video (testing different x264 options for my own sake). This can be done with creating new d2v files (each time containing the frames i want to process) but its easier having a starting full video-clip-d2v and just choose the portions of the clip i want to play with each time.
This can be done by manually editing the avs file (adding trim() ) but it would be easier to have such an option ready at the gui.
(Im sure i could have said all that with less words so sorry for the big message)
Im aware of the problems related to audio (when using the full audio clip while part of the vid), but doesnt the Nero aac encoder or the Faac codec have an option to choose the starting time and end time of the audio clip you want encoded (encode part of the audio clip)? If the timestamps are the same as the ones in the video, wouldnt they be synched?
Old 5th November 2005, 01:52   #794  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I will try that, is it any different from manually setting the two passes?
less work... and if you insist you can still load the jobs from the queue and reconfigure them.
Old 5th November 2005, 02:11   #795  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

A new build is out.

A few words about the level feature: levels enforce VBV and certain macroblock values. But AVC levels mostly concern source properties, which may not be known at configuration time. Hence, I have added a new tool called AVC profile validation. After loading a video source, you can use it to verify if your source can be encoded at the selected level. If not, you're informed which level is needed for your source and you'll have an option to automatically change the level accordingly. In one click mode, if your video profile has a level set, the resolution will be adapted until the movie can be encoded fullfilling your desired level. In extreme circumstances (say you're selecting a very low level), this could lead to the output no longer being as large as desired because the resolution has to be reduced considerably, so chose your levels wisely. In addition, please refer to aku's posts about levels and how they apply to x264.
Old 5th November 2005, 03:29   #796  |  Link
DeadRinga

I am having trouble with the D2V creator. When i put in the vob and select an audio track pressing Queue doesnt do anything. If i check both the checkboxes at the bottom the window just closes. I've got the newest version of dgindex and i made sure it was in the MeGUI folder. I'm using 0.2.3.1
Old 5th November 2005, 06:32   #797  |  Link
DeadRinga

Nevermind. It adds it as a separate job. Just found it.
Old 5th November 2005, 14:38   #798  |  Link
bond

doom9, is it ok that with high levels p4x4 isnt useable anymore, but with low levels it is?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 5th November 2005, 14:49   #799  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

did you check out the link in the changelog? It explains it.. it's needed for compliance.
Old 5th November 2005, 14:50   #800  |  Link
charleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpn
For a few days I've been testing the final 10/27/2005 (not beta) .NET Framework Version 2.0 and seems it works fine with MeGUI. I don't want to jump to any conclusion and say it's safe to use, just if other people want to try it and see if they encounter problems.
I've had .NET v2.0.50215 installed for a couple of weeks now and MeGUI works fine with it.
Closed Thread