Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th November 2011, 17:55   #10761  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
not a massively die shrunk version of an existing CPU
Thats exactly why the 7000 series won't be all that great. Their architecture is old and over-used, they need something fresh - just shrinking it won't help all that much. (Unless i missed the news on a new architecture)

On the other hand, they shouldn't take too much after Bulldozer - less performance then previous architecture is not good for selling stuff.
Old 9th November 2011, 17:57   #10762  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
No of course not. Bulldozer is 32nm and we had 32nm already. Bulldozer is a brand new CPU architecture, not a massively die shrunk version of an existing CPU.
That was a side blow to Bulldozer, as its efficiency sucks big time, while people were expecting an Intel killer. Regardless of the production process.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 18:25   #10763  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Thats exactly why the 7000 series won't be all that great. Their architecture is old and over-used, they need something fresh - just shrinking it won't help all that much. (Unless i missed the news on a new architecture)
I'm surprised. 6850 performs well and is priced well for example. Imagine it with 1/2 the power consumption. "won't be all that great" doesn't come close to my expectations.

BTW, HD7000 series will be 4way VLIW architecture across the board (6800 and below is 5 way VLIW - less efficient). Apart from the high end 79xx card wich will be a new architecture called GCN
Old 9th November 2011, 18:29   #10764  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
I'm surprised. 6850 performs well and is priced well for example.
I'm not saying the cards are bad, but AMD has been milking the same base architecture for years, at some point you just hit a wall. They can certainly hide that wall with going to new processes and some jiggery pokery, but something fresh would do them good, too.

PS:
Half power consumption is rather unlikely.
Old 9th November 2011, 19:01   #10765  |  Link
whitestar999

Quote:
I'm surprised. 6850 performs well and is priced well for example. Imagine it with 1/2 the power consumption.
power consumption for an existing architecture can't be halved without changing the architecture unless the architecture was very inefficient to begin with which is certainly not the case.
whitestar999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 19:43   #10766  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestar999 View Post
power consumption for an existing architecture can't be halved without changing the architecture
Wrong. After a die shrink you can operate on a lower voltage too. Expect noticeable efficiency gains as a bare minimum.

From one generation to the next, it has been normal to get twice the GPU for the money. 40nm to 28nm is a bigger step than normal, so it's reasonable to expect more than twice the GPU.

If my calculations are correct, the 6870 would be only 44% of it's current die size at 28nm compared to 40nm.
Old 9th November 2011, 19:53   #10767  |  Link

Kepler seems a lot more exciting than the 7000 series, and definitely the cards to be waiting on if you plan on gaming. (AMD drivers have been disastrous for a number of big releases recently, Rage in particular)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 21:29   #10768  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
I did some performance (GPU load) testing with madVR, LAV CUVID and EVR and I'm kind of amazed how good EVR is.
For the test I used a 1080i60 TV recording of a hockey game and I had to overclock my GPU a little. To be precise I've used the P8 (Video) mode of my NVIDIA card but upped both Core/Shader and Memory clocks from 405/810 and 162MHz to 540/1010 and 192MHz.
This resulted in both madVR and LAV CUVID having about the same GPU load ~80% while EVR was around 50%.
Then I decided to lower my upscaling settings in madVR to Bilinear for both chroma and luma (even though the luma wasn't important since both video and display were 1920x1080) and this lowered madVR's usage to ~70-75% which is still ~25% above EVR.
With which renderer did you test LAV CUVID? madVR generally does consume more GPU than EVR, because madVR does many things via pixel shaders, which is more "expensive" than using hard wired video processing circuits. Interesting would be:

(1) "LAV CUVID+EVR" vs. "DXVADecoder+EVR"
(2) "LAV CUVID+madVR" vs. "SoftwareDecoder+madVR"

I would expect you to get somewhat similar GPU numbers for "LAV CUVID+EVR" and "DXVADecoder+EVR". Not sure about (2). Depends on whether video decoding is counted as GPU usage. If it's not, I would expect you to get somewhat similar GPU numbers for "LAV CUVID+madVR" and "SoftwareDecoder+madVR", too. But of course the GPU numbers should be higher for (2) than for (1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
The strange thing is that only some files seem to drop down to bob deinterlacing. (and "progressive" ones seem to disable the deinterlacer altogether when using ffdshow for decoding)
I guess those that don't look like Bob are probably soft-telecined, so that DXVA does not really do anything but let the frames pass untouched (weave). Just a guess, though.

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done about this? I assume most people will want to play back film content at 24p. (either 23.976 or 24.000) I'm not sure that I have any video content—certainly nothing interlaced.
Sure, in the long run there are things that can be done. One step at a time.

Quote:
A random grab from that sample.
Can you please grab an unscaled frame? We want to check out deinterlacing quality, so there's no need to scale at all.

Quote:
1) MPEG2 50i with LAV Video decoder, NV12 output, EVR: works fine, looks ok, very smooth, clearly 50p
2) MPEG2 50i with LAV Video decoder, NV12 output, madVR: it does work, looks very bad, not smooth, clearly it is being deinterlaced

Radeon 5750 using latest drivers (11.10).
That's really bad. Can I have a log, please? Also, can you step through the video frame by frame with both EVR and madVR? Maybe when looking through both frame by frame you can see why it's smooth with EVR and not smooth with madVR? Maybe madVR repeats each frame twice to achieve double rate, while EVR really produces fluid unique frames?

It might be worth trying drivers 10.11. But I'd really be interested to hear your results when doing frame-by-frame stepping with your current drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derp View Post
Since nobody will ever answer to this, where could be the issue? Should I take any options' screenshots?
Maybe creating and uploading a madVR log would help. When creating the log, please try to reproduce the problem with the first pause, then when the subtitle disappears, close the media player at once. That will help making the log nicely short. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Why 10.11 drivers? Did you mean 11.10? I'm already using 11.10 which are the latest non-beta.
No, I meant 10.11, because other madVR users already reported that these old drivers help get smooth deinterlacing results, while newer drivers seem to make problems for some users (but not all).

But please check out my reply to mr.duck (see above). I'd like to get a log file from you, too. And I'd like you to try frame stepping to get to the bottom of the non-smoothness, too. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBG View Post
Can you try this sample with my filter set.

PotPlayer 1.5.29996
(1) Haali Media Splitter 1.11.288.0
(2) LAV Video Decoder 0.38
(3) Madshi Video Renderer 0.78
(4) Audio Codec/Transform
(5) DirectSound Audio Renderer
Does it only occur with Haali but not with LAV Splitter? Does it only occur with LAV Video Decoder but not with other decoders? Does it only occur with madVR v0.78 but not with older versions? Does it only occur with PotPlayer 1.5.29996 but not with other versions? I'm asking because you're asking a lot here. Finding, downloading, installing and testing these exact versions of all the various filters/player would take me quite some time, and I don't really want to mess up my own filter configuration.

I've tried once again, this time in fullscreen exclusive mode (tested only in windowed mode before), still no problem. I'm testing in XP, though, where there's no DX11 presentation mode. What happens if you use DX9 instead of DX11 in the madVR settings? Does that change anything? The DX11 path is known to be not as stable (yet) as the DX9 path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
Seems to work mostly as intended for Intel HD3000 but I've only tested with a MPEG2 60i SD source so far, MPC-HC DXVA decoder used.
Some unexpected behavior: When i hit ctrl+shift+alt+d I see no combing yet the annotation says de-interlacing is off.
If the annotation says deinterlacing is off, then it is off. So it doesn't seem to work as expected. Either madVR thinks activating deinterlacing isn't necessary (this can happen if the movie was fully soft-telecined and all frames are marked as progressive, even though the container is 60i), or activating deinterlacing failed. Seeing that other Intel users report that deinterlacing failed to work at all for them, my current guess is that the current madVR version isn't able to get deinterlacing to work at all on Intel GPUs. I'll check this out on my Sandy Bridge laptop. To be honest, my plan was to look at Intel in one of the next versions. For now I've concentrated on ATI + NVidia, because the majority of madVR users are using ATI + NVidia. But don't worry, I'll get to Intel soon enough.

Quote:
i am having an unusual problem.some 1080p videos run fine on my laptop c2d 2ghz mobilty radeon 4570 with screen resolution 1366*768(60hz) but when i try to run the same video from laptop through hdmi on a 1080p(60hz) LG LCD TV there video lags with frames dropping continuously.backbuffer & render queue are almost always 1-3/8 while decoder & other queue are full.as i understand playing 1080p video on a 1080p screen should be the easiest case scenario or am i missing something.
Quote:
@namaiki,card ram is 256mb & yes there is a difference when i make video window smaller.gpu-z shows card load at ~70% when window is resized to ~480*360.how can i see the gpu-z window in full screen video playing?
The bigger the output resolution, the more GPU RAM madVR needs. It might be possible that 256MB is not enough for 1080p playback, I'm not sure. I plan to make the queue sizes adjustable soon, so you can save GPU RAM. That might make it work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diizzy View Post
At least on Intel HD Graphics (1st gen Core iX-CPUs) it doesn't seem to work at all, it just says "deinterlacing failed".
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Log for "deinterlacing failed" message on Intel HD graphics: http://www.mediafire.com/?n8o0jz0umd4xqw1
I've not tested deinterlacing with Intel yet. Plan to do so (and make it work, if possible) soon.

Quote:
Curious, it says "VideoProcessBlt failed (8007000e)", and thats the HRESULT for Out of Memory.
Yeah, that's interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer73 View Post
I've just tried to use madVR with PotPlayer and LAVFilters, and its doing the strangest thing... Win7 64bit, 32bit apps, Nvidia GTX260 card...

PotP with LAV and EVR CP works nice, but if I select madVR as renderer I just get audio and no decoder is loaded. All colourspaces seem to be ticked in LAV, and I tried some other settings in there... What am I missing?
So do you get a picture or not? madVR has decoders on its own, but if they get used, you should see a picture. I guess you see no picture? I'd suggest that you try a different media player, just as a cross test. Also try getting the latest PotPlayer version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummen View Post
I also had issues when playing back on my new 1080p projector. Using JRMC, video was unwatchable on the projector (HDMI), but played well on my 1360x768 LCD screen (connected through VGA). Tried both 24 and 60Hz on the projector. Stuttered even when video was in a window, on both 720p and 1080p files. Then I went into the MadVR settings and enabled decoding, stuttering gone and perfectly smooth playback, even with 3840x1080p side-by-side files
Good to hear that the internal decoders seem to work well for you. As an alternative you could also try LAV Video Decoders, if you prefer using external decoders. What you describe sounds like a problem with the external decoders you'd been using before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummen View Post
Question: Will DXVA ever work with MadVR? Saw it was asked a while ago, but couldn't find an answer...
DXVA *deinterlacing* does work with madVR, just not DXVA *decoding*. Whether DXVA decoding will work in the future or not I don't want to comment on at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrifeLeonhart View Post
I report this bug (if its a bug that is) that when i use madVR and try to pause anime with mouse click in MPC-HC the subtitles dont seem to pause somtimes,
but when i press on Backspace to pause it does pause the subtitles.
What does "don't seem to pause" mean exactly? Do they continue to play, line after line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Interesting. Any reason it's this way? I find left clicking to be highly unintuitive compared to right clicking and I would greatly prefer right clicking.
Showing different context menus for left and right click is not that unusual for tray icons. The right click context menu has more menu items. The madVR left/right context menus have a clear logic to them:

The left click menu is just a menu for the currently running media player, where you can do all kinds of things to influence the media playback. The right click menu contains all things you might ever want to do, including closing the tray icon process, changing tray icon settings etc.

The reason why the right click menu has so many sub menus is that it contains more functionality. Having all menu items of the right click menu in one level would be a usability catastrophe. The left click menu is so nicely simple because it limits itself to only control the current media player, nothing else.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 21:30   #10769  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
What's the current recommendation for video playback hardware with MadVR? I currently have an ATI 5450 and older Intel 6600 dual core CPU, this is good enough for the majority of material (mainly HD), only the highest bitrate stuff causes some drops. I'm looking to build a 2nd HTPC for another display and thinking of re-using the 5450 there and upgrading the main HTPC in the theater room. Seems like both ATI and nVidia have pluses and minuses (as always). Are any of the new integrated Intel graphics worthy of consideration? Running Win7, and mostly HD material, not even sure MadVR is really needed, but I do like to go for the best solution even if it's not something I can really notice. :-) Thanks for any advice.
If you can wait, I'd suggest to wait for the new 28nm GPUs coming out early 2012. They should significantly improve the power per watt ratio.

As to ATI vs. Nvidia, that's really a tough decision. NVidia seems to have big problems with presentation glitches in exclusive mode. ATI doesn't seem to have that problem, but then ATI has problems on its own. So it's really hard to decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
I just managed to reproduce the disappearing subtitles multiple times, sadly I only tested windowed mode there.

After restarting the player to also test fullscreen exclusive mode I couldn't reproduce it any more (neither windowed nor exclusive). The only thing I could think of that was different the first time is that Reclock was still doing its measurements (red/green switching icon). But why should Reclock cause the subtitles to disappear? Maybe the bug happens just extremly random.
Still can't reproduce it here.

Quote:
Although I found one thing: The subtitles disappear in fullscreen exclusive mode as soon as the seek bar is shown. But I assume this is by design like with shown stats?
Yes.

Quote:
But they are all done with the files from here, do these work for you?
Sure, I've been testing with those, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
is it ok to set the following options as enabled in the Video Settings for ATI cards: Use automatic deinterlacing and Pulldown detection
Yes, these are recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I can reproduce this problem. In my testing, subtitle will disappear in a short time when paused for the first time since seeking. Next pauses will be fine.
Ok, tried that, but doesn't happen for me. I can seek and pause, subtitles stay. Using MPC-HC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNobody View Post
Any ideas why this sample displayed with green bar at the bottom with default MadVR settings until I enable "use managed upload textures (XP only)"?
This doesn't happen on my PC. Also MPC-HC, XPSP3, but ATI 6850. It *could* be an NVidia driver issue. But then why does it not happen with the internal madVR decoder? That's really weird. Maybe nevcairiel can have a look at that? He's on Nvidia, but I don't think he uses XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
How do you read the Decoder Queue, Upload Queue, Render Queue, and Present Queue in the statistics?
You open your eyes and read the white text at the top left of the screen, after having pressed Ctrl+J...

Ok, seriously. madVR has several queues where it stores frames that were already decoded, uploaded to GPU RAM, fully rendered and dithered to output resolution etc and passed on to Direct3D for presentation. Ideally, all queues should be full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I found out why I thought 0-255 was the correct setting, it seems whatever is set on the AMD control panel will be the "correct" setting when I open MPC-HC. If I open it while I got 0-255 already set, that will be correct, and changing to 16-235 while the video is playing will get me gray blacks, and vice versa. Still using 11.10 drivers, haven't tried rolling back or switching to NV yet.
Haha. Yes, that's true. madVR analyzes the GPU behaviour once during madVR startup (so you don't have to restart the media player, just reloading the video should do the trick). If you change the GPU driver settings while madVR is already loaded, madVR will not adjust to that, until the madVR instance is destroyed and recreated.

Quote:
I've aborted my deinterlacing tests for now because it seems that 0.78 broke windowed mode for me, even with progressive video.

The files 3, 4, 5 and 6 from here and the "WipEout HD Trailer" (MKV, H.264, 1080p59, 170 MB) and "Devil May Cry Gameplay" (WMV, VC-1, 1080p59, 266 MB) for which I can't find download links right now give me many dropped and delayed frames each second in windowed mode. Going back to madVR 0.77 and everything is fine again. Fullscreen exclusive mode works fine in both versions.

All files are correctly identified as progressive. Also disabling deinterlacing in the settings has no affect.
The only thing that they have in common is a frame rate of 59 fps. Maybe the new version has problems with that high frame rates?
The only thing that comes to my mind right now is that maybe your GPU is downclocking with v0.78 but not with v0.77? I don't know why it should. But then I don't understand what else could be going on. Your render queue is the problem, so it seems that your GPU isn't rendering fast enough. Which is weird, since your GPU should be plenty fast enough.

If you're sure that the GPU clock is ok then please create a short log with v0.77 (no frame drops) and one with v0.78 (frame drops). Maybe 20 seconds of playback each. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I've also seen the same thing with a Nvidia 465. I've also had this same problem using LAV CUVID with earlier madVR versions. Everything is OK in full-screen exclusive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwelcha View Post
Have the same problem, in windows mode, every video file drops frames constantly, in Exclusive mode almost none.
"the same thing/problem" is rather relative. It could mean something totally different to you than it might mean to me. Could you please describe exactly which problem you have? Having smooth playback in exclusive mode while you have problems in windowed mode is not usual in itself. There's a reason why I implemented exclusive mode, after all. The key question for me is: Did things get noticeable worse for you with v0.78? Because that's what cremor is reporting.

Quote:
HD7000 series will already be in production. We've been stuck at 40nm for years and the HD7000 will be a massive step to the 28nm node (i.e. expect a huge improvement in power efficiency/performance). Worth waiting for IMO.
I agree that the new 28nm GPUs (both ATI + NVidia) are probably worth waiting for at this point in time. Ok, we don't know exactly when which cards will be released. But I also expect a big jump in performance per watt. Which is one of the most important things for an HTPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Having a strange issue with 0.78. Double clicking m2ts's directly will play smooth as ever, but if I double click the index.bdmv or the mpls file then I get MASSIVE dropped frames, 3-5 a second. Going back to the previous version I have (0.75) and everything is perfect again.
Weird. Can you please try 0.76 and 0.77, just to find out which version exactly broke it for you? Also please try different splitters and decoders, just to give me more information. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
First off, great work so far on the madVR project, is there a way to donate for all your hard work?
Not until madVR v1.0 is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
Ive got a question about deinterlacing and getting the 2x FPS deinterlacing (im such a fan of doubling framerates ;-))!

Ive got an ATI card (5770) and i got Vector Adaptive deinterlacing enabled in CCC. When i start a PAL DVD (interlaced) in madVR i dont get the deinterlacing in double frame rate. Ive tried setting Bob (which is a auto 2x FPS, right?), but this didnt work. I used to get the double framerate when using yadif 2x in ffdshow, but that doesnt work anymore either .
Are we talking movie content or native video content (e.g. music concerts or sports)? Double rate is the right deinterlacing method for native video content. For movies things are quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gser View Post
Yeh interlaced support seems to be a bit shaky e.g. MadVR upscales interlaced footage before the GPU deinterlaces it which screws up the picture.
Not true. Older madVR versions required you to deinterlace before sending the frames to madVR. With older madVR versions the GPU never deinterlaced at all. With v0.78 madVR performs deinterlacing via DXVA and scales afterwards, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd View Post
On a Windows XP machine, what would cause the display value (ctl+j first value) to fluctuate between 45-75hz causing playback issues.

The PC resolution is 1824x1016@50hz which is a Nvidia custom resolution for a 1920x1080p HDMI TV that allows for overscan.

When the PC first starts up the the display rate shown in MadVR is 50hz +/- 0.25% and playback is rock solid however after a while this then starts to vary like mad as described above.

Reclock during this time always says the refresh rate is 50hz as does the TV and the Nvidia driver/Windows. A reboot will always cure it, but i am trying to get to the bottom of this.

@madshi - where/how does MadVR get its refresh rate timing from please ?
Ouch, this is bad. madVR has a very complicated logic in it which reads the current VSync scanline from the GPU once per millisecond. Then it looks at all the collected scanline data and tries to do some very clever math to calculate the exact refresh rate. It seems that in your case the scanline data sometimes allows different interpretations (50Hz and 75Hz). I've never heard of such a problem before. This will be hard to fix. Does this occur in windowed and/or fullscreen exclusive mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I doubt madVR can do anything BUT bobbing.
madVR v0.77 and older versions didn't support deinterlacing *at all*. You were required to deinterlace before sending the video to madVR. madVR v0.78 does not deinterlace itself, it lets DXVA do it. And DXVA usually does better than using Bob.
Old 9th November 2011, 21:44   #10770  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.77 and older versions didn't support deinterlacing *at all*. You were required to deinterlace before sending the video to madVR. madVR v0.78 does not deinterlace itself, it lets DXVA do it. And DXVA usually does better than using Bob.
I meant "bobbing" as in "some kind of double rate deinterlacing", not some specific bob algorithm.
Old 9th November 2011, 21:53   #10771  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

"Bob" is called that way because the image bobs up and down if its used. Its not a category of algorithms that all do the right thing and use both fields to create separate images.
Old 9th November 2011, 21:59   #10772  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
"Bob" is called that way because the image bobs up and down if its used. Its not a category of algorithms that all do the right thing and use both fields to create separate images.
Oh noez. How shall I call it from now on, then? I always used it as a synonym for deinterlacers that preserve the full temporal resolution.
Old 9th November 2011, 22:09   #10773  |  Link
Nevilne

madshi, you were mentioning improving 24 fps clips on 60hz screens.
May I suggest an option to make 50% frame blends?
(frame1)-(frame1)-(50%frame1+50%frame2)-(frame2)-(frame2)-
(frame3)-(frame3)-(50%frame3+50%frame4)
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 22:36   #10774  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Oh noez. How shall I call it from now on, then? I always used it as a synonym for deinterlacers that preserve the full temporal resolution.
The funny thing is, in the CE (consumer electronics) world video deinterlacing pretty much *always* preserves the full temporal resolution. Because of that there's not really a word for it (that I know). I consider not preserving the full temporal resolution a bug, and it usually only happens in the HTPC world. In the HTPC world people often use "double rate deinterlacing" to name the correct solution. So maybe you want to use that instead of "bobbing". But if you talk to CE engineers, they will probably not know what you mean by "double rate deinterlacing".

(Just to avoid misunderstandings: All of the above only applies to native video content. Native movie content is a whole different thing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilne View Post
madshi, you were mentioning improving 24 fps clips on 60hz screens.
May I suggest an option to make 50% frame blends?
That is the solution I had in mind. Just haven't decided yet whether I'll blend in linear or gamma light. Linear light should be better, but it's also more expensive.
Old 9th November 2011, 22:42   #10775  |  Link
Gser

I read up on DXVA deinterlacing and it uses the deinterlacing your GPU supports (instead of having a native deinterlacing method). DXVA can even support 3:2 pulldown if it is implemented in the renderer. Imo best feature EVAR!

Last edited by Gser; 9th November 2011 at 22:54.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 22:50   #10776  |  Link
derp

Quote:
Maybe creating and uploading a madVR log would help. When creating the log, please try to reproduce the problem with the first pause, then when the subtitle disappears, close the media player at once. That will help making the log nicely short. Thx.
How can I do this? I have no clue.
derp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 23:17   #10777  |  Link
sneaker_ger

There's a file called "activate debug mode.bat" in the madVR folder. It will exchange "madvr.ax" with "madvr [debug].ax". MadVR will now create a log file on your desktop. Zip it and upload it to something like mediafire.
Old 9th November 2011, 23:26   #10778  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
Ouch, this is bad. madVR has a very complicated logic in it which reads the current VSync scanline from the GPU once per millisecond. Then it looks at all the collected scanline data and tries to do some very clever math to calculate the exact refresh rate. It seems that in your case the scanline data sometimes allows different interpretations (50Hz and 75Hz). I've never heard of such a problem before. This will be hard to fix. Does this occur in windowed and/or fullscreen exclusive mode?
Thanks for the reply and info - It occurs in both. I also run TightVNC server to access the HTPC remotely from a laptop running at 1680x1050@61hz and I am just wondering whether this is causing the scanline data issue. I have just upgraded TightVNC to the latest version to see if this makes any difference and will do some further testing to see if I can isolate the issue.
Old 9th November 2011, 23:28   #10779  |  Link
derp

Quote:
Ok, here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hqbsevc64eebesb

Quote:
There's a file called "activate debug mode.bat" in the madVR folder. It will exchange "madvr.ax" with "madvr [debug].ax". MadVR will now create a log file on your desktop. Zip it and upload it to something like mediafire.
Thanks.
derp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 23:44   #10780  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
No of course not. Bulldozer is 32nm and we had 32nm already. Bulldozer is a brand new CPU architecture, not a massively die shrunk version of an existing CPU.

Try drivers from 2010 like version 10.11
I meant how people hyped it up so much like that, saying how much it would beat the i5 2500k and it was one of the most disappointing things ever and underperformed compared to their Intel counterparts by heaps Well enough of that, this is hardly the place for hardware talk.

Last edited by golagoda; 9th November 2011 at 23:49.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling