Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 5th April 2009, 23:26   #201  |  Link
cavediver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 29
Under the "Move all captions" option, what does the "Offset" setting do?
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 23:29   #202  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 478
Keeps the caption from the selected border.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 00:02   #203  |  Link
Ryu77
Registered User
 
Ryu77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 246
I've had a quick read through and it's possible I may have missed the answer to the question I am about to ask, but...

Which would be the best tool to mux these newly created, DVD ready subtitles with the video and audio?

Is there a program as easy to use as tsMuxeR that I could load the video, audio and sub/idx files into and create DVD folders, ready for burning?
Ryu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 04:49   #204  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mexico
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu77 View Post
I've had a quick read through and it's possible I may have missed the answer to the question I am about to ask, but...

Which would be the best tool to mux these newly created, DVD ready subtitles with the video and audio?

Is there a program as easy to use as tsMuxeR that I could load the video, audio and sub/idx files into and create DVD folders, ready for burning?
Try Muxman, but you will need to convert the VobSub subtitles to .Sup (DVD format), you can do that with Subtitle Creator (The conversion is lossless).

SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 11:22   #205  |  Link
Ryu77
Registered User
 
Ryu77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquallMX View Post
Try Muxman, but you will need to convert the VobSub subtitles to .Sup (DVD format), you can do that with Subtitle Creator (The conversion is lossless).

Yes, in the interim I had actually tried that method and the result was an option to select a subtitle that didn't actually display??

I will experiment some more and see what I can work out.

PS: I am working with Vietnamese subtitles for my Fiance to watch English speaking movies a little easier (I am Australian).
Ryu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 11:46   #206  |  Link
bananas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Got this sup that I can't get to work in pdvd,but works in ps3.
warning: multiple PDS/ODS definitions: result may be erratic it says with v2.9
and no errors with v2.8.Opened it up in suprip seems it doesn't recognise the font.
It's a bd sup im trying to convert to 720p.Here's the link to the .sup http://www.sendspace.com/file/n7vfsi
bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 12:37   #207  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
Got this sup that I can't get to work in pdvd,but works in ps3.
warning: multiple PDS/ODS definitions: result may be erratic it says with v2.9
and no errors with v2.8.Opened it up in suprip seems it doesn't recognise the font.
It's a bd sup im trying to convert to 720p.Here's the link to the .sup http://www.sendspace.com/file/n7vfsi
Maybe I missed the question!? Does the original SUP cause troubles in PowerDVD or the SUP exported by BDSup2Sub?

Anyway: this is one of the very few examples of a SUPs that not only has (redundant) repeated image data per frame, but also some of the images are corrupt. Since 2.8 had another (less exact) way of selecting the image if there were multiple updates per epoch, chances are 2.8 selected the non-corrupt version of the image (by chance) while 2.9 selects the corrupt one. There is one flag left that I currently don't take into account and that might be used to ignore invalid images. I'll have a look if doing so will help here.
Yet, I'm pretty much convinced that the authoring tool that created this stream is somewhat broken.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 12:42   #208  |  Link
bananas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
It's the exported .sup by BDSup2Sub
bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 13:28   #209  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 478
It would help a lot to precisely describe the problem. What exactly happens in PowerDVD? Does this happen with SUPs exported by 2.8 as well etc.?

Anyway: I found a problem with fragmented image objects if there are also image updates in the epoch. Hope this will also fix the RLE decoder warnings in your SUP. Then again, this begins to get really complicated as it's hard to tell which captions animations should be displayed and which should be eliminated.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 19:22   #210  |  Link
bananas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
The text does'nt show up at all in pdvd in both v2.8 and 2.9.
I made some experimenting I ocr'd the original sup
to .srt and then opened it up in subrip and saved
it with ansi.After that I made an .sup file with supread
and opened it up in BDSup2Sub and converted to 720p.
That method got it to work besides letters like ♪ shows up
like this "?".Trying to open up a .srt saved in unicode
doesnt work in supread.So I guess the problem is letters
like this ♪ .Im kinda new to this,but that is the result of
my little experiment ;P
bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 20:06   #211  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
The text does'nt show up at all in pdvd in both v2.8 and 2.9.
I made some experimenting I ocr'd the original sup
to .srt and then opened it up in subrip and saved
it with ansi.After that I made an .sup file with supread
and opened it up in BDSup2Sub and converted to 720p.
That method got it to work besides letters like ♪ shows up
like this "?".Trying to open up a .srt saved in unicode
doesnt work in supread.So I guess the problem is letters
like this ♪ .Im kinda new to this,but that is the result of
my little experiment ;P
All this SRT/OCR stuff has nothing to do with BDSup2Sub (which works on bitmaps only), so I'm still not quite sure how this related to the original problem.
Anyway, I analyzed your SUP and I figured out why BDSup2Sub has issues with it. Yet unfortunately I need to rewrite parts of the SUP parser (*again*) since there are some pretty weird things happening in this SUP that I didn't expect.
I'm not 100% certain that this will fix your problems with PowerDVD as it won't influence the structure of the saved SUPs. Also I understand the SUPs exported by BDSup2Sub are displayed by a PS3. Though I kinda lost track if the unmodified SUPs were displayed by the PS3 or if this was the case for the "experimental" SRT-cross-conversion.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 20:12   #212  |  Link
kikker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
Sorry for the noobish question, but I'm attempting to backup a BD title to 720p x264 encode in either of the MP4 or MKV containers. Is there a way to use this tool to convert the SUP to the SUB/IDX format as a stream wrapped in the MKV?

Or, is that the holy grail people are searching for at the moment. I've read conflicting reports that the SUB/IDX binary format can handle HD (720p or 1080p) subtitles. Even if it were possible to obtain this subtitle format, it seems there's not even a DS filter to play it. Please correct if I'm wrong. If a DS filter does not exist for this format, is there a "stand alone" player that could play back HD SUB/IDX?

Thanks for any info....
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 20:28   #213  |  Link
rizu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
Even if it were possible to obtain this subtitle format, it seems there's not even a DS filter to play it.
MPC-HC plays 1080p sub/idx just fine and so does MediaPortal with MPC sub-engine mod. I've tested both. Heard that vsfilter also would work but haven't tested it myself. I think all mentioned are based on same routines ( vsfilter ) when it comes to sub/idx rendering.

As mentioned before, vobsubs were originally meant to handle only DVD subs so 720p or 1080p subs are all non-standard and not likely to be supported on stand-alone devices..
rizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 21:04   #214  |  Link
kikker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizu View Post
MPC-HC plays 1080p sub/idx just fine and so does MediaPortal with MPC sub-engine mod. I've tested both. Heard that vsfilter also would work but haven't tested it myself. I think all mentioned are based on same routines ( vsfilter ) when it comes to sub/idx rendering.

As mentioned before, vobsubs were originally meant to handle only DVD subs so 720p or 1080p subs are all non-standard and not likely to be supported on stand-alone devices..
OK, great! Thanks...So, in theory, I could use this app to convert the SUP to a 720p SUB/IDX and have it played back by any directshow player? I should have clarified what I meant by "stand alone". I was really talking about other software players that have their own internal codecs/filters like VLC, but I suppose this doesn't matter to me at least, as I prefer directshow-based players.

I don't have a BD drive quite yet, so I can't really experiment with this app, but can it take the 1080p subs and downsize them to appear as normal on a 720p encode?
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 21:17   #215  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska Dev-Helper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
Sorry for the noobish question, but I'm attempting to backup a BD title to 720p x264 encode in either of the MP4 or MKV containers. Is there a way to use this tool to convert the SUP to the SUB/IDX format as a stream wrapped in the MKV?

Or, is that the holy grail people are searching for at the moment. I've read conflicting reports that the SUB/IDX binary format can handle HD (720p or 1080p) subtitles. Even if it were possible to obtain this subtitle format, it seems there's not even a DS filter to play it. Please correct if I'm wrong. If a DS filter does not exist for this format, is there a "stand alone" player that could play back HD SUB/IDX?

Thanks for any info....
Hi kikker

There is a way for you.

BDSup2Sub works perfect for 1080p.sup to 1080p.sub/idx conversion.
for playback you should use MPC-HC and this VSFilter-Version

this is an updated version by Aegis

the subtitles looks like the original.

hubble
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 00:37   #216  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking
 
saint-francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 668
I am now using this tool to convert all of my BD subtitles to 720p and play them with 720p video in .mkv with mpc hc flawlessly. I haven't tried vsfilter though.
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 01:01   #217  |  Link
rica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,021
Think about i extracted and accelerated video and audio to 25 via eac3to.
Shall i have to adjust sup to 25 manually?
Or any automatic way which is hidden in your tool?
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 05:12   #218  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 429
0xdeadbeef, for your reference:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...51#post1175551

and

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=4045

My tests were done using a screenshot of MPC (not MPC-HC) and the eyedropper color tool in irfanview or Photoshop to check the accuracy of the YCbCr->RGB conversions.

Technically, you should be using BT709 - as that is the color space used by all hidef material (all hidef broadcasts, all Blu-ray discs, and all HD-DVDs), and is also the default color space used by the typical computer monitor (BT.709 is the same as SRGB).

Supread I think uses BT601 and also expands to PC levels (white at 255, black at 0) instead of the technically correct white at 235 and black at 16. It is up to the user's player to do the proper expansion when rendering.

This is not a criticism of your tool (in fact I think it is a great idea - I was thinking of making a similar tool, but assumed there was a resolution limitation) - just want to give you basis for your tests. As you can see, I am anal about adhering to standards as closely as possible.
Rectal Prolapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 09:42   #219  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
Think about i extracted and accelerated video and audio to 25 via eac3to.
Shall i have to adjust sup to 25 manually?
Or any automatic way which is hidden in your tool?
That's up to your definition of "manually" and "hidden".
"Hidden":
After you loaded a SUP, a dialog called "Conversion options" pops up, which shows the source frame rate (read from the SUP, but it may be incorrect for exotic formats), an assumed target frame rate (merely based on the selected resolution) and a little checkbox that says "change frame rate".
"Manually":
Select the correct source and target frames rates and check the checkbox.
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 10:02   #220  |  Link
0xdeadbeef
Author of BDSup2Sub
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
My tests were done using a screenshot of MPC (not MPC-HC) and the eyedropper color tool in irfanview or Photoshop to check the accuracy of the YCbCr->RGB conversions.
[...]
Ok, so this is really (only) about accuracy. While I might change the color conversion anyway, this will only change the display of subtitles, not the exported SUPs (as I currently don't touch the palette at all). Besides, without extending the color space to 0..255, blacks will appear gray of course on a PC. That's why BDSup2Sub uses a version of BT.601 that's modified to extend to 0..255.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
As you can see, I am anal about adhering to standards as closely as possible.
Your name made me guess so
0xdeadbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.