Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 1st December 2005, 00:53   #1  |  Link
Zachzi

How to find ifo problems ?

Hello!

I got a ripped dvd that plays perfectly well on all software players and some standalones. But on one of my two standalones it does not work. I have never had any problems with ripped dvds on this player before....

What happens is that it crashes when i hit the play button. I also tried to change first play pgc right to the movie title to bypass the menu. Even then it didnt work...dvd wouldnt even start.

I figure this must be some ifo problem, but what can i be ?
Zachzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 01:32   #2  |  Link
jeanl

Zachzi, did the original play well on all your standalones?
How did you do you rip/copy?
jeanl
Old 1st December 2005, 13:20   #3  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

....and did you do some other processing/editing of the DVD before burning?
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2005, 19:31   #4  |  Link
Zachzi

I cant answer any of those questions cause i didnt rip it myself. All i know is that it is ripped with CCE, probably the big 3. When i hit get vts sectors in ifoedit then nothing happens. Could it be some navigation that is missing that some players and software players automatically adjust and that my one player crashes cause it doesnt do it ??

Im not that good with ifo files so i dont know what can cause the crash. Weird thing is that it works 100% fine in powerdvd.

Any hints on what i can look for ???

Last edited by Zachzi; 1st December 2005 at 19:35.
Old 1st December 2005, 19:42   #5  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Zachzi, I don't know which copyright laws apply where you live, but beware of forum rule #6...

Anyway, to me it sounds like you need to do a mock strip to fix your disc. jeanl's new tool might be helpful. Otherwise try a good old IfoEdit mock strip. Good luck.
Old 1st December 2005, 19:36   #6  |  Link
jeanl

Zachzi, you can't go straight from first-play to the movie, and hope that it will work (in most cases it won't because in many cases lots of registers have to be set before the movie plays, for it to play normally).
It might indeed be a VTS sectors problem (soft players don't care about them, but hardware players do use them and will crash if they're wrong). How did you burn your DVD? Try using PgcEdit's burning menu to burn your DVD on a DVD-RW and test that.

jeanl
Old 1st December 2005, 19:44   #7  |  Link
Zachzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl
Zachzi, you can't go straight from first-play to the movie, and hope that it will work (in most cases it won't because in many cases lots of registers have to be set before the movie plays, for it to play normally).
It might indeed be a VTS sectors problem (soft players don't care about them, but hardware players do use them and will crash if they're wrong). How did you burn your DVD? Try using PgcEdit's burning menu to burn your DVD on a DVD-RW and test that.

jeanl

Ok, thanks for your fast reply. I burned with ONES...ill try a burn with pgcedit and come with further update after that.
Old 2nd December 2005, 11:43   #8  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
That's right, but I don't think it's the cause of the problem. When jumping straight from First-Play to the main movie, you will probably experience navigation problems, or the right audio or subpics will not be preselected automatically. But the movie should at least start.
If it doesn't start, I guess it's something wrong in the IFO tables, or in the VOB structure.

Also, if you use PgcEdit to burn the DVD, don't forget to save it (even if you havent changed anything) before launching the burn function. This is to be sure that the VTS Sectors are computed and saved correctly.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 14:47   #9  |  Link
Zachzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
That's right, but I don't think it's the cause of the problem. When jumping straight from First-Play to the main movie, you will probably experience navigation problems, or the right audio or subpics will not be preselected automatically. But the movie should at least start.
If it doesn't start, I guess it's something wrong in the IFO tables, or in the VOB structure.

Also, if you use PgcEdit to burn the DVD, don't forget to save it (even if you havent changed anything) before launching the burn function. This is to be sure that the VTS Sectors are computed and saved correctly.
I loaded it and then saved it...burned it with imgtool afterwards. Same shit happened then...havent tried the last two things jeanl told me about yet. Maybe ill do it tonight, but i discovered some serious shit in my bedroom that i have to clean first.
Old 2nd December 2005, 17:43   #10  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachzi
I ... but i discovered some serious shit in my bedroom that i have to clean first.
that's more than we need to know man!
jeanl
Old 1st December 2005, 19:58   #11  |  Link
jeanl

What's ONES?
Jeanl
Old 1st December 2005, 20:25   #12  |  Link
Zachzi

ONES is a burning tool using the PRASSI enginge v2. You can read more about it here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....ghlight=prassi

Just finished burning after using your fixvts tool. DVD is now 3.95GB and it was 4.30

Wonder if it works...
Old 1st December 2005, 20:38   #13  |  Link
jeanl

Zachzi, again, what did you use to burn after FixVTS?
What options did you have in FixVTS? (I'm guessing you had "remove unreferenced cell" on (since the output size is smaller than the input size)...
jeanl
Old 1st December 2005, 21:02   #14  |  Link
Zachzi

Quote:
Zachzi, again, what did you use to burn after FixVTS?
What options did you have in FixVTS? (I'm guessing you had "remove unreferenced cell" on (since the output size is smaller than the input size)...
jeanl
I burned once again with ONES. I had remove unreferenced cell on, yes. That didnt work. Same as before...dvd crashes when hitting play button.

Now i have just did a full muck strip with ifoedit. Then i opened the dvd in pgcedit...i agreed to change all that pgcedit suggested then saved the dvd. It burning right now with imgtoolburn which i think is the tool pgcedit uses to burn with. Hope this helps...
Old 1st December 2005, 22:25   #15  |  Link
Zachzi

now i have tried mock strip and fix vts burned with pgcedit, but none of it has worked. All versions have been tried in powerdvd dvd, and all have worked there. Im out of ideas on what to do...

This isnt a regular movie dvd. Its a collection of sketches by an comedian with many small sequences...maybe that does the whole thing a little more complicated. just a thought...

Thanks for all your help so far.
Old 2nd December 2005, 17:46   #16  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Quote:
now i have tried mock strip and fix vts burned with pgcedit, but none of it has worked. All versions have been tried in powerdvd dvd, and all have worked there. Im out of ideas on what to do...

This isnt a regular movie dvd. Its a collection of sketches by an comedian with many small sequences...maybe that does the whole thing a little more complicated.
If the various parts/sketches are located in different VTS, you should try an IfoEdit mock strip on each of the VTS.

It could also be that the menus have been edited/reauthored/butchered by whoever ripped the DVD, so you could also try an IfoEdit mock strip of the menus on the disc... (see the above mentioned thread for guidance)
Old 1st December 2005, 23:50   #17  |  Link
jeanl

Zachzi,
Try this:
- Create an ISO image of your DVD (use DVDDecrypter for example, or use the one that imgtool created)
- Mount the ISO image as a new drive (deamon tool can do that)
- Now, try to play that using PowerDVD... Does that work just fine?

Also: Are you sure you don't have a problem with your medium (DVD-R type)? Have you burned DVDs successfully with these types?

If all this comes up negative, then there's something a bit fishy in the DVD. Could be the IFOs, could be the VOBs, but that's not going to be easy to find.

Here's two more things to try:
- Rrun the entire DVD through vobblanker, making sure you process all the VTS, into a new DVD and try to burn that. Vobblanker recreates almost everything from scratch (but it might not fix problems in the VOB files). If your DVD isn't multi-angle this might work well for you.
- Use PgcEdit's "jump to PGC upon DVD insert" macro (macro menu) to jump to your movie as soon as you put the DVD in. If you don't know how to use this tool, there are guides out there (can't remember where, but do a search). The idea is to break the problem into parts, trying to isolate whatever it is that's faulty in the DVD...
jean

Last edited by jeanl; 1st December 2005 at 23:54.
jeanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 00:02   #18  |  Link
Zachzi

Quote:
Zachzi,
Try this:
- Create an ISO image of your DVD (use DVDDecrypter for example, or use the one that imgtool created)
- Mount the ISO image as a new drive (deamon tool can do that)
- Now, try to play that using PowerDVD... Does that work just fine?

Also: Are you sure you don't have a problem with your medium (DVD-R type)? Have you burned DVDs successfully with these types?

If all this comes up negative, then there's something a bit fishy in the DVD. Could be the IFOs, could be the VOBs, but that's not going to be easy to find.

Here's two more things to try:
- Rrun the entire DVD through vobblanker, making sure you process all the VTS, into a new DVD and try to burn that. Vobblanker recreates almost everything from scratch (but it might not fix problems in the VOB files). If your DVD isn't multi-angle this might work well for you.
- Use PgcEdit's "jump to PGC upon DVD insert" macro (macro menu) to jump to your movie as soon as you put the DVD in. If you don't know how to use this tool, there are guides out there (can't remember where, but do a search). The idea is to break the problem into parts, trying to isolate whatever it is that's faulty in the DVD...
jean
The image was already a image...i have mounted it and succesfully viewed it in powerdvd. When i played around with the ifos that was from the unpacked img file.

I know the media is good. Im using Tayo Yuden media...to be sure i even error checked the media for PIE/POF errors, but it was a good burn.

I will try the last two things before i give up.

Thank you.

- Zachzi
Old 2nd December 2005, 23:45   #19  |  Link
Zachzi

Ok. Now i tried first of your two last options jeanl. The first one (vobblanker) did not work. Same result as all the other...

Im now trying the second last options with pgcedit, but i cant get it work. Im not familiar with pgcedit at all. I got this error: "wrong line in a valid pgc"... I tried some other lines, but no luck. Maybe there is a guide on how to do it that i dont know about ?

Cons: When i did the mock strip, i mock stripped everything. Menus and all vts sets, but same result as always.

Tired of burning this same dvd with my 1x dvd-rw that is years old for nothing... ( i dont waste my tayo yudens any longer)
Old 2nd December 2005, 23:57   #20  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Im now trying the second last options with pgcedit, but i cant get it work. Im not familiar with pgcedit at all. I got this error: "wrong line in a valid pgc"...
Maybe it's the cause of the problem. When a VM command is not valid, or cannot be desassembled, this kind of error happens.
Send me an archive at [pgcedit at tiscali dot be] with the original IFOs, I will try to find the error.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote