Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2002, 09:43   #41  |  Link
dividee

hehe got it now. I just assumed clip=filt and didn't give it a second tought.

But I was talking about the source in the CVS, not the zip! I just did a Rebuild All to be sure, and the mask is incorrect just after AVISource. And the source.cpp hasn't been updated for 8 days. Maybe the behaviour depends on the decompressor of the AVI file ?
Old 14th July 2002, 14:29   #42  |  Link
Kaizen
Forum Administrator

Attaching for Wilburt.

I wonder what the problem was.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2002, 17:59   #43  |  Link
poptones

And with the avisynth version currently in the CVS, I still had to use Mask after AVISource.

Doh! Got it now. I fixed the part in convertToRGB32() but never went after the source.

Mkay, so it works after conversion, but not if you just "open" an RGB32 file. I'll look into that one.
poptones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2002, 09:20   #44  |  Link
Wilbert

@kaizen,

Thanks for attaching the file. Maybe it is because the filename which had the form "filename..zip". I didn't see that until Chris told me so.

@Poptones and the other sourceforge people:

Quote:
I hope people don't get to used to using the mask() command for "blank" clips. It's not needed except on the versions
where the old convertToRGB32() snuck out. If you convert to RGB32, the mask is set by default - no need for a mask that
just slows things down.
This is really weird (bug in ConvertToRGB32 ?):

# showed only shakira:

clip1=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("F:\shakira-underneath_your_clothes.avi")) # uncompressed
clip2=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("G:\atomic_kitten.avi")) # compressed with ASUS video codec
clip3=trim(clip2,100,506)
Layer(clip1,clip3,"add",128,0,0,use_chroma=true)

# showed shakira and atomic kitten:

clip1=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("F:\shakira-underneath_your_clothes.avi"))
clip2=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("G:\atomic_kitten.avi"))
Layer(clip3,clip1,"add",128,0,0,use_chroma=true)

clip1=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("F:\shakira-underneath_your_clothes.avi")) # uncompressed
clip2=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("G:\atomic_kitten.avi")) # compressed with Huffyuv codec

clip2=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("G:\atomic_kitten.avi")) # compressed with ASUS video codec
clip3=Mask(clip3,BlankClip(clip3,color=$FFFFFF))

Haven't tried any other codecs.

@all:

Why does the following result in a red clip, and not in a white clip?

white = blankclip(width=352,height=288,color=$ffffff)
red = blankclip(width=352,height=288,color=$ff0000)
interleave(white,red).assumefieldbased.weave # result: line1 red, line2 white, etc. (why?), with resolution 352x576
separatefields.selectodd() # red clip

@Waka:

Quote:
Hmm, what I meant was to write an avs for the first half of the process(interleave, weave) and use virtualdub to do the
second half(convolution, drop a field). The 3x3 convolution internal to virtualdub is faster than the 5x5 convolution 3d
written by Gunnar. I was under the impression that the 5x5 is the one in avisynth and thus what you were using. Anyhow
it doesn't particularly matter, my apologies if I am misunderstanding you.
You are right that differs a lot. The encoding time was 1:15 instead of 2:28!

Quote:
As for the field thing, I can't explain it clearly so try this instead.

black=blankclip(height=240)
white=blankclip(height=240,color=$ffffff)
clip=interleave(black,white).assumefieldbased.weave
# pretend this black and white frame is our original capture

interleave(clip,clip).assumefieldbased.weave
generalconvolution(0,"0 128 0 0 128 0 0 0 0")
separatefields.selecteven

The output is alternating black and white like it should be, however if we use selectodd instead of selecteven we get all
grey instead of black and white.
Ok, I understand. Back to my test-scripts:
Ending on "selecteven" results in frames with:
line1 = (line1_clip1+line1_clip2)/2
line2 = (line2_clip1+line2_clip2)/2
and the deinterlacing effects remain.

Ending on "selectodd" results in frames with:
line1 = line1_clip1
line2 = (line1_clip2+line2_clip1)/2
line3 = (line2_clip2+line3_clip1)/2
and the deinterlacing effects are smoothed out.

What do you think of the last method, as a method of filtering noise
and cleaning up the remaining deinterlacing effects (= method 1)?

I also use a deinterlacer (smart deinterlace gave good result, wasn't satisfied with area based deinterlace) to clean up the deinterlacing effects on the
method 2) output clip --> time: 2:54
method 3) input clips --> time: 3:09

Although the result are a bit better than method 1. If you take the encoding time into account, 1:15, the first method is also nice. What do you about that?

@Poptones and others:

Quote:
Anyway, you might like to try this DLL. It is a build of the very latest source including my most recent tweaks to the layer
and mask filters AND a convertToRGB32() that returns the mask in the proper state (although it won't be needed in this
example anyway, because "fast" mode ignores the mask info).

http://personal.ayrix.net/~poptones/avisynth.zip

For your test all you really need is this:

layer(clip1,clip2,"fast")
levels(whatever)

That's it. Let us know how it compares.
Clips are both 407 frames:

clip2=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("F:\shakira-underneath_your_clothes2.avi"))
clip3=Layer(clip1,clip2,"add",128,0,0,use_chroma=true)
Levels(clip3,3,1.03,255,8,240)

# time 1:18 (without cleaning up deinterlacing effects)

clip3=Layer(clip1,clip2,"fast")

# time 1:19 (without cleaning up deinterlacing effects)

Sorry, the reduces version appears to be slower ...
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2002, 21:09   #45  |  Link
dividee

Quote:
This is really weird (bug in ConvertToRGB32 ?):

# showed only shakira:

[...]
The ASUS codec is probably outputting RGB32 data, so ConvertToRGB32 is bypassed and the mask isn't applied. Should work if you change it to ConvertToRGB32(ConvertToRGB24(AVISource("...")), but it's probably faster to use the Mask filter, then.

Quote:
Why does the following result in a red clip, and not in a white clip?

white = blankclip(width=352,height=288,color=$ffffff)
red = blankclip(width=352,height=288,color=$ff0000)
interleave(white,red).assumefieldbased.weave # result: line1 red, line2 white, etc. (why?), with resolution 352x576
separatefields.selectodd() # red clip
Sometimes this parity thing is more confusing than helpful.
Both Weave and SeparateFields uses parity to combine or separate the fields. If you didn't look at the intermediate result you wouldn't have been surprised by the final result. If the top line of the intermediate result was red, it means that parity was bottom field first in the clip. If you add ComplementParity just before Weave, you'll have the top line white, but the final result should still be the red clip. If you add ComplementParity before SeparateFields you'll obtain the white clip.
Old 15th July 2002, 22:46   #46  |  Link
poptones

The problems are multifold. Some software returns RGB and RGBA as the same thing - RGBA - except RGB has an inderterminate alpha channel. And convertToRGB32 will ignore it if it sees it's already RGBA, so the "indeterminate" mask doesn't get cleaned up. And there's nothing much that can be done about this problem unless you're willing to live with never being able to import RGBA video! (Which, quite frankly, might not be too big an issue... see below.) In these cases, all you can do is set a white mask yourself. Perhaps this could be better done with a special, optimized "mask" switch - I'll look into that.

Wilbert, I have a question about this, 'tho...

Why are you converting this to RGB twice? Or why at all? Layer works just fine with YUY2. In fact, it's twice as fast. So unless you're I/O bound on this, getting rid of the redundant RGB conversions and using the FAST mode as I suggested will cut these times dramatically. Since there's only one LAYER in there, this really isn't much of a benchmark, except as as measure of total system throughput.

clip1=AVISource("F:\shakira-underneath_your_clothes.avi")
clip3=Layer(clip1,clip1,"fast")
convertToRGB32().Levels(clip3,3,1.03,255,8,240)

Give that a shot and see whatcha get. I just (last night, before I committed the latest revision) went through all these modes on my PII/450 using this:

clip=avisource("garbage-test.avi")
clip=clip.layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0).layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0).layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0).layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0).layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0)
return clip.trim(0,99)

I made two different source clips, one in RGBA and one in YUY2, by changing the conversion on the first line above and saving the file using direct stream copy. So no conversions in avisynth were done for the first round, and I threw away the first run because it was always about 50% slower. What I ended up with was approximately:

YUY2(ADD) - 12 sec
YUY2(LIGHTEN) - 12-13 sec
YUY2(FAST) - 9 sec

RGBA(ADD) - 43 sec
RGBA(LIGHTEN) - 48 sec
RGBA(FAST) - 40 sec

Then I used the YUY source for the RGBA tests, this time doing the conversion internally (on the first line, above). The results were pretty revealing:

RGBA(ADD) - 20 sec
RGBA(LIGHTEN) - 24 sec
RGBA(FAST) - 16 sec

So even 'tho I used an RGBA "source" it was much, much slower. Was it just because the YUY source file could fit in memory and the RGBA couldn't? I doubt it as I have only 256MB memory to begin. Was it the file handler? I don't know how I would test that; the files were both saved uncompressed using the standard windows file handler via veedub.

On my system, at least, 100 uncompressed frames (640x480) are more I/O bound than processing. And by extrapolating the above, it would seem I could run this test on 500 frames (still) in under a minute.

And my test was with a whole chain of'em. I really doubt you're going to see much difference in a benchmark of these filters unless you stack'em. My system will barely direct stream copy straight through avisynth at more than ten fps, and using the above benchmark it was often maxxing out (on the YUY2) at more than six fps.

I'd love to know what others get with higher end systems. If you'd care to try the above, just use a YUY2 source at 640x480. The content is irrelevant as all commands use the exact same operations for every pixel in the frame (even the booleans). All that matters is the 640x480 YUY2 source - and run it more than once.

Should I post the DLL? I hate to keep introducing new versions. These latest additions are, to me, "stable" so if mr berg want to put together a new rev on sourceforge that'd be rockin'...

Last edited by poptones; 15th July 2002 at 22:50.
Old 16th July 2002, 04:56   #47  |  Link
waka

I did some preliminary runs using the dll from a couple posts back. This is on an xp@1710(190x9), epox 8k3a+, 512MB ram. Times for first run thrown out.

100 frames
yuy2(add) - 2 sec
rgba(add) - 4 sec
yuy2>rgba(add) - 4 sec
fast was the same

500 frames
yuy2(add) - 11 sec
rgba(add) - 49 sec
yuy2>rgba(add) - 22 sec
fast was the same

If you are interested I can do something more comprehensive, different fsb speeds, reading/writing to drives on separate ide channels, etc.

For Wilbert,
I haven't done much with interlaced stuff recently, but when I did I was never very happy with the smart deinterlacers and usually ended up blending the fields. In which case using convolution would seem to kill two birds with one stone. That said, I'm sure the deinterlacers have improved since then so I really couldn't say which way I would prefer. As for quality vs. time, I always try to go for the best quality, within reason. Of course what is reasonable for one person isn't for another. I prefer to ivtc by hand, most people would probably think that a waste. If you have the time and patience I say go with what looks best.

Edit: Now that I actually think about it, doing the selectodd wouldn't be any better than a blend deinterlace on one source, oops.

Last edited by waka; 16th July 2002 at 07:02.
waka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2002, 10:19   #48  |  Link
Wilbert

@poptones,

I'm a bit confused, a couple of posts back you said:

Quote:
I hope people don't get to used to using the mask() command for "blank" clips. It's not needed except on the versions where the old convertToRGB32() snuck out. If you convert to RGB32, the mask is set by default - no need for a mask that just slows things down.
IOW, ConvertToRGB32 => no mask needed

Does that mean that if your input is YUY2 that you have to you mask?

But above you asked:

Quote:
Wilbert, I have a question about this, 'tho...

clip1=ConvertToRGB32(AVISource("F:\shakira underneath_your_clothes.avi"))

Why are you converting this to RGB twice? Or why at all? Layer works just fine with YUY2.
First the two clips are two different (that was the whole point: use two different clips for removing noise, they are RGB_something) and second because the mask is than set by default (like you said above).

I will do your proposed checks tonight.

@dividee

Quote:
The ASUS codec is probably outputting RGB32 data, so ConvertToRGB32 is bypassed and the mask isn't applied. Should work if you change it to ConvertToRGB32(ConvertToRGB24(AVISource("...")), but it's probably faster to use the Mask filter, then.
I will check that ... About this red-white clip:

Quote:
If you didn't look at the intermediate result you wouldn't have been surprised by the final result.
The problem is, that I was surprised looking only at the final result. Let's look more closely at the following two scripts

interleave(white,red)

Result: frame1=white, frame2=red, frame3=white, right?

interleave(white,red).assumefieldbased

Result: frame1_topfield = frame1 = white, frame1_bottomfield = frame2 = red, why is this false or is true? Why is the parity: bottom field first?

Sorry for asking those basic questions

@waka

Quote:
As for quality vs. time, I always try to go for the best quality, within reason. Of course what is reasonable for one person isn't for another. I prefer to ivtc by hand, most people would probably think that a waste. If you have the time and patience I say go with what looks best.
The problem is that I can't go for ivtc, I live in a pal-country.
Old 17th July 2002, 01:05   #49  |  Link
poptones

But if you don't need the mask features (and you don't for simple layering for noise reduction) then you don't need to run the conversions unless your source is RGB (24 bit, not 32 bit). If the source is YUY or RGBA, all you need to do is layer them:

source1.layer(source2,"Fast")

No need to set masks or convert, because "fast" ignores the masks. It just adds'em up and divides by 2 - that's it.

The other part - I dunno. I've not looked into it too deeply, as the only thing I use separatefields for is to perform fieldwise processing.
Old 17th July 2002, 08:47   #50  |  Link
WarpEnterprises
C64

Wouldn't it be good to combine
MergeLuma, MergeChroma, Layer
into one function?
It seems that all 3 do alike things, only the user gets confused.
Or is it not true that MergeChroma(MergeLuma, 0.5) , 0.5) = Layer("fast")?
WarpEnterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2002, 09:25   #51  |  Link
Wilbert

@dividee

Quote:
Well, that worked. I looked into some docs but I can nowhere find that the asus codec is outputting RGB32 data. Is there a simple way to see that? (Maybe I can find it on their homepage ...)

@poptones
Quote:
But if you don't need the mask features (and you don't for simple layering for noise reduction) then you don't need to run the conversions unless your source is RGB (24 bit, not 32 bit). If the source is YUY or RGBA, all you need to do is layer them:
Ok, understood. I did the tests:

I did some preliminary runs using the dll from a couple posts back.
This is on an Athlon@1200(133x9), ASUS A7M266, 384MB DDR SDRAM

500 frames [no audio]:

yuy2(add) - [44 sec]
yuy2(lighten) - [37 sec]
yuy2(fast) - [44 sec]

rgba(add) - [78 sec]
rgba(lighten) - [49 sec]
rgba(fast) - [56 sec]

rgba -> yuy2(add) - [51 sec]
rgba -> yuy2(lighten) - [46 sec]
rgba -> yuy2(fast) - [47 sec]
Old 17th July 2002, 09:27   #52  |  Link
dividee

@Wilbert:
Quote:
interleave(white,red).assumefieldbased

Result: frame1_topfield = frame1 = white, frame1_bottomfield = frame2 = red, why is this false or is true? Why is the parity: bottom field first?
It depends. Honestly I don't know when avisynth consider something to have top or bottom field dominance. What makes things worse, in the code a bool is used for parity and I can never remember whether true=top or bottom dominance. Usually I don't care and just add ComplementParity when it does it wrong, but I admit it could be useful to have a pair of filter such as AssumeBFF and AssumeTFF.
Old 17th July 2002, 09:33   #53  |  Link
Wilbert

That would be nice, if it isn't too much work
Old 17th July 2002, 09:43   #54  |  Link
dividee

Quote:
Well, that worked. I looked into some docs but I can nowhere find that the asus codec is outputting RGB32 data. Is there a simple way to see that? (Maybe I can find it on their homepage ...)
If I'm not mistaken, avisynth first asks the codec if it can decompress to YUY2, if it answers no, it fallback to RGB32, then RGB24. So it doesn't mean that the codec can only decompress to RGB32, just that it can't decompress to YUY2.

Quote:
That would be nice, if it isn't too much work
No that should be the easiest filter I'll ever do, once I figure if true=TFF or BFF

[EDIT:] I have written the filter. Note that you should use it after AssumeFieldBased or AssumeFrameBased, since they both reset the parity to BFF (which make sense, if you think about it). BFF seems to be the default in avisynth. Will be in my next commit on the CVS.

Last edited by dividee; 17th July 2002 at 13:25.
dividee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2002, 18:06   #55  |  Link
poptones

Wilbert, thanks for the feedback. Now, that's really odd. I mean, I did a good bit of instruction reordering because the lighten and darken ops are more complicated, but I didn't think I had actually made them MORE efficient than the add and mul and sub!

Would you mind running this below for all three types, replacing the "lighten" with "add" and "fast?" If you and a couple others could do it and report back it would help me a lot. I honestly cannot understand how lighten could be FASTER than a simple add, but if this is common on many machines it seems obvious I need to look again at my mmx instruction sequences. I know on my "old fashion" PII it acts as I expect and your results, while pleasing, are also kinda puzzling.

clip=avisource("garbage-test.avi")
clip=clip.layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0).layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0).layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0).layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0).layer(clip,"lighten",128,0,0)
return clip.trim(0,499)

edit: never mind, I think. Are you using the latest version off sourceforge? If you are using one with c-code I can understand, as it's probably just doing a bunch of null ops and returning. To get valid lighten and darken functions you need to make a build from the cvs, as I don't believe there's a fresher build just yet.

Last edited by poptones; 17th July 2002 at 18:09.
Old 18th July 2002, 12:13   #56  |  Link
Wilbert

@poptones,

Quote:
Would you mind running this below for all three types, replacing the "lighten" with "add" and "fast?" (..)
I guess I'm misunderstanding you, but that's what I (and Waka) did (with a clip of 500 frames). I used the version you attached a couple of posts back. Let us know if/when you want us to do some more tests.
Old 27th July 2002, 18:09   #57  |  Link
Wilbert

@dividee,

Quote:
No that should be the easiest filter I'll ever do, once I figure if true=TFF or BFF. [EDIT:] I have written the filter. Note that you should use it after AssumeFieldBased or AssumeFrameBased, since they both reset the parity to BFF (which make sense, if you think about it). BFF seems to be the default in avisynth. Will be in my next commit on the CVS.
I downloaded v2.02, but it doesn't know AssumeTFF or AssumeBFF. All I can find in field.h is a function named AssumeParity, but I can't get that to work either.
Old 27th July 2002, 18:21   #58  |  Link
dividee

Yeah, that's the one. Internally it's only one function but it maps to two script filters. But I'm sorry, I commited the filter after Richard released 2.02. I'll compile a version and send it to you.
Old 28th December 2002, 07:42   #59  |  Link
goemon

so whats the "final conclusion" on averaging clips?

eg whats 'the script' to average 2 clips?
goemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2002, 11:26   #60  |  Link
wotef

gee, big old bump

conclusion - it works bloody well! successfully reduces noise and saves me on average about 100mb on my 1 cd caps

simplest script would be:

clip0=avisource("capture.avi")
clip1=avisource("capture1.avi")
union=clip0.layer(clip1,"fast")
return union
wotef is offline   Reply With Quote