Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 7th February 2005, 20:28   #1  |  Link
mrwhitethc

The Sopranos, prob. been done to death but have to ask

The Sopranos Season 1, I'm trying to get the best quality without splitting each disc to 2 discs. So far this is what I've gotten to be close to the original.

DVD Rebuilder 0.72
CCE 2.5
VBR Bias 25
Quality Prec 32
2 Pass
UnDot().Deen()
DGMpgdec120b6.dll

Everything seems to come out well except in the psych office with the wood grain walls. Even when the camera is still you can see the Mpeg blocks moving on them. Anyone else see this? If not what settings should I use? So far I can't seem to see them anywhere else. I know this series has noise just like sex in the city so hopefully if this helps here it'll help there as well.
mrwhitethc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 20:36   #2  |  Link
TheSeeker
Master of Chaos

I would try a lower Qual prec. Your giving more importance to flat color areas by making it higher than the default. I would try 16 and see what happens. Maybe go up to 20. But not too much more than that for regular movies.

EDIT: Maybe try it without the deen() as well.
Old 7th February 2005, 20:59   #3  |  Link
mrwhitethc

Thanks for the fast response, I'll try that tonight and post back with the results.
Old 7th February 2005, 21:20   #4  |  Link
borgraf

also, try tweaking the bitrate of that segment with RB-Opt
borgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 21:50   #5  |  Link
mrwhitethc

Has anyone else tried tackling these series with stellar results or did everyone just leave DVD-RB to it's defaults and just take that as it was as good as it gets? All the help so far very much appreciated, i'm going to try TheSeeker's suggestion first and try a lower Qual Prec of 20 without the use of Deen(). And do all HBO series has that faint noise running through them? I noticed Sex and the City had it as well. Maybe once we figure out what works this needs to be a sticky or something.
Old 8th February 2005, 14:31   #6  |  Link
TheSeeker
Master of Chaos

Oh you might want to try Procoder 2 as well.. I have heard it is better with interlaced and low bitrate video. I know it is better at encoding my Dragonball GT dvd's that Im doing right now.
Old 8th February 2005, 15:34   #7  |  Link
sweetness

Hi mrwhitethc
Ya that dvd is aroung 52 to 55% reduction, that's tough on any encoder. what i did was i used 3 passes with RB-Opt to added KVCD Notch matrix. looks ok and anyone else who watched it couldn't really see anything.
And yes the sopranos is a little noise even the second season.
If you're still not happy after trying different settings you just might have to split the thing.(even good brand media are cheap now.)
Old 9th February 2005, 03:38   #8  |  Link
mrwhitethc

the good with the bad, very little moving on the wood in the psych office but now around hard edges, jpg artifacts, is the only way I can describte it. Before edges seemed clean most noticable around the opening text but also around characters. Gonna give procoder a shot and see how that turns out.
Old 9th February 2005, 03:39   #9  |  Link
mrwhitethc

sweetness did you leave all the other DVD-RB settings default like the qual prec, vbr bias and just change the matrix?
Old 9th February 2005, 04:31   #10  |  Link
mpennel

This was one of the first DVDs I ever tried to copy a couple of years ago, and I've pulled my hair out. I finally decided that good enough was good enough, and left it alone. I thought about breaking it up into 2 discs instead of one, but never bothered...Just my 2 cents worth.
mpennel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2005, 16:54   #11  |  Link
sweetness

my settings are qual prec 16(20 is good too) and vbr bias 30 and 3 passes.

instead of waiting for the whole movie to encoded try pausing after a few segments are encoded and then view them with media player. this way if you don't like it you can abort faster.

mpennel by be right, you will just end up pulling your hair out over this.
Old 10th February 2005, 13:46   #12  |  Link
mrwhitethc

I tried ProCoder 2 left it to Auto with EclPro and Mastering Quality and so far that is the worst one of the bunch. Everything in the foreground looked great but the backgrounds were horrible, mpeg blocks moving everywhere. So scratch that one off the list. Is there any merit to lowering the res 704x480, right now DVD-RB is telling me I'm getting a bitrate of 2,800 high and 2,100 low which is hovering around SVCD bitrates. Maybe bring another filter into the mix to smooth out some of the blocking?
Old 11th February 2005, 18:47   #13  |  Link
TheSeeker
Master of Chaos

Yea if you havent tried it yet I would try and add deen() to the mix. THat should smooth out the blockies. Strange that you had such an experience with Procoder 2. I have always liked it...
Old 12th February 2005, 19:18   #14  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

HBO stuff has so much grain in it it is a bear to reencode. you can try higher settings on undot.deen or a stronger filter but comes with the penalty of smoothing the detail also. usually when i process that stuff i deal w/what i get. i use 16 for qual prec w/ undot().deen()
Old 12th February 2005, 23:20   #15  |  Link
mrwhitethc

Actually I did have undot().deen() when I used procoder I never took it out from last last time I tried VBR 10, Qual Prec 4. Trahald so would you say, like sweetness mentioned, that qual prec 16 and vbr 30 would make the most sense? Is there any sense in making the res 704x480? Or maybe using something like unfilter(-5,-5) or adding something else to the AVS script? It seems that everything in the foreground for the most part is about as sharp and clear as it should be it's really the backgrounds that are blocky and you can really tell it's been MPEG'd sometimes. I've tried to use RB-Opt but I'm running CCE 2.5 so I can't change the Matrix settings unfortunately.
Old 13th February 2005, 16:59   #16  |  Link
rte5

I settled on DVDshrink with Deep Analysis and high quality, since it looks about the same as rebuilder and you can keep the closed captions.
rte5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2005, 17:14   #17  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally posted by rte5
I settled on DVDshrink with Deep Analysis and high quality, since it looks about the same as rebuilder and you can keep the closed captions.
I have doubts about that... but to each his own.
Old 14th February 2005, 02:08   #18  |  Link
mrwhitethc

very true indeed, with 50% compression there has to be a lot of quality loss with the trancoding method. Though I do have a question I remember DVD2One had 2 modes one was variable and one which dropped the bitrate down as a whole. This was suppose to allow for better quality on longer movies. Is there any truth to this and is this available in DVD-RB?
Old 14th February 2005, 03:21   #19  |  Link
jdobbs

That would be an apples to oranges comparison because DVD2One works within the compressed domain. It's "variable" (as I recall) relates to how aggressive it is for different parts of the movie (as opposed to a uniform reduction).

In DVD-RB/CCE variable bitrate (VBR) is used for all DVD-RB encodes. So bits are allocated based upon an analysis of the demand. RB also uses dynamic bitrate allocation based upon the originally encoded stream.

Unquestionably a full scan, and resulting reencoding with VBR is the best way to get the highest available quality. Only the uninformed would argue to the contrary.
Old 14th February 2005, 04:44   #20  |  Link
mrwhitethc

I wasn't trying to compare DVD2One with DVD-RB, I just remember DVD2One had 2 modes one for everyday movies and one for very long movies. I was wondering if the Dynamically Assign Cell bitrates was one such setting, would it be better to not do this for longer movies?