Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th June 2012, 22:20   #15241  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttringle View Post
jdobbs,

Quick question, can I use DVD Rebuilder Pro to upscale a 480p DVD to 720p or 1080p? I know there wouldn't be any improvement in video quality other than bypassing my televisions scaler but I'm just curious.
DVD Rebuilder doesn't output to anything but legal DVD resolutions.

In BD Rebuilder (the subject of this thread) it's pretty easy. Just select "Convert SD to 720p" or "Convert SD to 1080p" in the SETUP dialog.

You can use multiAVCHD to convert a DVD to BD pretty easily -- and use that as the source for BD-RB. There are several other ways to do it also.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th June 2012 at 22:25.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 05:35   #15242  |  Link
xterminater

jdobbs, I have tried to research on why bd-rb blank out dts-express mono audio but have no luck finding on how to not have it delete that audio. Is there a way to force BD-RB to keep the dts-express mono audio?
xterminater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 16:40   #15243  |  Link
Audiophile1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterminater View Post
jdobbs, I have tried to research on why bd-rb blank out dts-express mono audio but have no luck finding on how to not have it delete that audio. Is there a way to force BD-RB to keep the dts-express mono audio?
This used to be in the hiddenopts.txt but for some reason it's no longer there. Just put DTSX_ENABLE=1 in your bdrebuilder.ini (you can put it right underneath [Options])and it'll keep dts express for you. Remember to save the bdrebuilder.ini after you insert the line.

Note, even though it'll keep the dts express the dts express sound might still not work. I have this issue myself and jdobbs is aware that certain players will read the encode and other ones won't. He'll eventually figure it out! He's a smart fella!

Jdobbs, I have some questions for you. I'm doing a complete disc encode of an episode disc of a tv series and the original disc is 43.2GB with a bdrebuilder output of 22.4GB. Taking a look at one episode using bdinfo and MPC the original bitrate is ~14,000 Kb/s and the bdrebuilder bitrate is ~4,500 Kb/s. From my reading it seems like this bitrate is far too low for 1080p? Would it be best to convert it to 720p?

Also, I don't want to do this with these discs but for future reference could I blank half the episodes and putting them on one bluray disc with the other half on another bluray? I thought about doing this but it would take too many bluray discs and cost too much.

Thank you for your continued support on a great program!
Audiophile1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 20:05   #15244  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile1178 View Post
This used to be in the hiddenopts.txt but for some reason it's no longer there. Just put DTSX_ENABLE=1 in your bdrebuilder.ini (you can put it right underneath [Options])and it'll keep dts express for you. Remember to save the bdrebuilder.ini after you insert the line.

Note, even though it'll keep the dts express the dts express sound might still not work. I have this issue myself and jdobbs is aware that certain players will read the encode and other ones won't. He'll eventually figure it out! He's a smart fella!

Jdobbs, I have some questions for you. I'm doing a complete disc encode of an episode disc of a tv series and the original disc is 43.2GB with a bdrebuilder output of 22.4GB. Taking a look at one episode using bdinfo and MPC the original bitrate is ~14,000 Kb/s and the bdrebuilder bitrate is ~4,500 Kb/s. From my reading it seems like this bitrate is far too low for 1080p? Would it be best to convert it to 720p?

Also, I don't want to do this with these discs but for future reference could I blank half the episodes and putting them on one bluray disc with the other half on another bluray? I thought about doing this but it would take too many bluray discs and cost too much.

Thank you for your continued support on a great program!
Whether 4,500Kbs is too little is dependent upon the source. If it is less than other episodes, it would mean that the original also uses less for that one. I'd watch it and see if it is noticable before I'd worrry about it. It's really odd to see a bitrate that low on a BD-25 backup, though... how many hours does it show in the log?

Yes, you could make a backup in the way you describe. You could, for instance on a disc that had 8 episodes, blank the second 4 on the first backup and blank the first 4 on the second.
Old 14th June 2012, 21:36   #15245  |  Link
Audiophile1178

First of all, does blanking a title just produce a blank (black?) video of low bitrate to save space or eliminate the title from the disc? I've never used blanking before so I don't know.

I didn't expect such a quick response... I just read that if your bitrate is around 4,000Kb/s it's better to go for 720p as they'll be more information per frame since it's a lower resolution. I did a bdrebuilder encode of 1080p and 720p. I'm currently deciding which one to burn. Whichever one I go with I'll do the rest that way. I even looked at only keeping the DTS core and not the full DTS-HD.MA but that'll only gain me 1GB per eposide so I didn't think that i'll gain that much in picture quality so I kept the high def audio.

The discs are Star Trek The Original Series and each episode is 50 mins long. I've only touched one disc so far and it has four episodes on it. I'm pretty sure that the rest of the discs will have 4 episodes as well. Each episode has an original unmastered video and a digitally mastered one so that the viewer can switch between the two and see how it originally aired. Some episodes also have pip of commentary and stuff but I don't think that i'm going to be able to hear the audio since it's DTS Express.

It took me 10 hours to encode this bad boy at the settings below!!!

Code:
[22:46:22] Source:  STAR_TREK_SEASON_2__DISC_1
  - Input BD size: 43.28 GB
  - Approximate total content: [04:49:35.632]
  - Target BD size: 23.54 GB
  - Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
  - SHUTDOWN at completion enabled
  - Quality: High Quality (Default), Two Pass
  - Decoding/Frame serving: X264/LAVF
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640

BTW, I just scanned all episodes with BDinfo and the originals were all around 14,000 Kb/s and the encode were around 4,900 Kb/s.
Old 14th June 2012, 22:37   #15246  |  Link
jdobbs

You can't use bitrate as a finite "if then else" decision parameter. It isn't something that functions on its own, it depends on other factors as well (like source complexity and encoding bells-and-whistles used). I've done a lot of encoding at lower bitrates with much success. You'll also find a lot of high quality MKV & MP4 files floating around that look good with a lot less...

Blanking replaces the original video with a short (~.5 second) blank video.

Not sure how halving the size of the disc cuts the bitrate by that much? There must be a huge portion that is kept intact?

Last edited by jdobbs; 14th June 2012 at 22:39.
Old 15th June 2012, 00:17   #15247  |  Link
Audiophile1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Not sure how halving the size of the disc cuts the bitrate by that much? There must be a huge portion that is kept intact?
Thanks for the blanking info... I too was a bit surprised at the final bitrate result. I figured that cutting the disc in half would result in half the bitrate (~7,000Kb/s) and not a third of the original. It's very hard to tell if anything is kept in tact as the titles seems to be using seemless branching (forgive me if that's the incorrect term). There are 121 .m2ts files which seem like most of those files make up all four episodes except for one files that's a bonus video of 12 minutes (which is 1.5GB in size) about them making the shows.

Out of all the files that make up the four episodes there are: (2x) 4.5GB, (2x) 3.5GB, (2x) 2.5GB, (2x) 1.5GB, and the rest are below 1GB. Bdrebuilders log shows that it encoded 91 files. A majority of the files for the episodes are below 1GB. I know some of the files are menus and other things so it looks like it encoded everything correctly.

As you can see from the beginning of the log in the previous post that there was almost 5 hours of 1080p video on this one disc! That pretty much explains why the original is only 14,000Kb/s. Any higher and they'd have to put less episodes on each disc. If you think about it though it's 1960's Star Trek! Even if you had a higher bitrate it wouldn't make the video quality any better.

BTW, what would I look for in the 1080p encode to see if it's bad? Pixelization? Every encode that i've done with x264 no matter how low the bitrate gets looks fine to me but then again my tv is a 60" 720p so that could explain why i've never seen bad video since it's not full 1080p.

Last edited by Audiophile1178; 15th June 2012 at 00:23.
Old 15th June 2012, 00:46   #15248  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile1178 View Post
Thanks for the blanking info... I too was a bit surprised at the final bitrate result. I figured that cutting the disc in half would result in half the bitrate (~7,000Kb/s) and not a third of the original. It's very hard to tell if anything is kept in tact as the titles seems to be using seemless branching (forgive me if that's the incorrect term). There are 121 .m2ts files which seem like most of those files make up all four episodes except for one files that's a bonus video of 12 minutes (which is 1.5GB in size) about them making the shows.

Out of all the files that make up the four episodes there are: (2x) 4.5GB, (2x) 3.5GB, (2x) 2.5GB, (2x) 1.5GB, and the rest are below 1GB. Bdrebuilders log shows that it encoded 91 files. A majority of the files for the episodes are below 1GB. I know some of the files are menus and other things so it looks like it encoded everything correctly.

As you can see from the beginning of the log in the previous post that there was almost 5 hours of 1080p video on this one disc! That pretty much explains why the original is only 14,000Kb/s. Any higher and they'd have to put less episodes on each disc. If you think about it though it's 1960's Star Trek! Even if you had a higher bitrate it wouldn't make the video quality any better.

BTW, what would I look for in the 1080p encode to see if it's bad? Pixelization? Every encode that i've done with x264 no matter how low the bitrate gets looks fine to me but then again my tv is a 60" 720p so that could explain why i've never seen bad video since it's not full 1080p.
If you don't see pixelation in darkest scenes, you're usually good to go.

I know I have the first season of Star Trek (TOS), but can't remember if I have all the seasons. If I do, I'll test that disc.

They did a really good job with those discs. They went back to the original film prints and created HD from them. They also give you the option of using newer (more up-to-date) graphics (on the space scenes and the bridge's "big screen"). It is really impressive.

They'll be coming out with TNG in HD using the same concepts this year (season one in July)... can't wait. I got the preview disc w/three episodes on it -- looks pretty good. It's a little disconcerting, though, to think that after I paid for all 7 seasons on DVD, I may have to do the same on BD...

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th June 2012 at 00:50.
Old 15th June 2012, 04:19   #15249  |  Link
ihmcjacky

I have followed strictly the instruction on the first page, but still got error on converting my adele concert blu-ray disc to 25gb discs, the following is the log

[06/15/12] BD Rebuilder v0.40.10 (beta)
[10:57:54] Source: ADELE
- Input BD size: 26.40 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:00:05.331]
- Target BD size: 22.95 GB
- Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR
- Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[10:57:54] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [10:57:54] Processing: VID_00000 (1 of 3)
- [10:57:54] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [11:15:48] Reencoding video [VID_00000]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 29.970fps, 178,602 frames
- Bitrate: 23,493 Kbs
- [11:15:48] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 1
- Encode failed. Aborting.
- BD-Rebuilder v0.40.10 (beta)
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, Ok
- HAALI Splitter: 1.9.42.1, Ok
- FFDSHOW: 3882, Ok
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libmpeg2": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "ffmpeg-mt": Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok
[11:15:49] - Failed video encode, aborted

My computer configuration:
Intel Core i7 2600
8gb ram
win7 64 bit ultimate

Will it be the bug of the software?
ihmcjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 13:42   #15250  |  Link
jdobbs

Is this the first time you've run it, or has it worked for you before? Sometimes other software changes the settings without telling you. Try uninstalling and reinstalling AVISYNTH, FFDSHOW, and HAALI.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:43   #15251  |  Link
ihmcjacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Is this the first time you've run it, or has it worked for you before? Sometimes other software changes the settings without telling you. Try uninstalling and reinstalling AVISYNTH, FFDSHOW, and HAALI.
I have tried what I can do, including reinstalling all softwares. And I cannot have a single success on converting....

Planning to try other softwares

Any way thanks!
Old 16th June 2012, 16:24   #15252  |  Link
Jonaldinho

Hi, I know this is my fault but I left BD Rebuilder to encode to a BD25 size and I ran out of disk space. I just checked the progress and it had come up with an error that it couldn't rebuild because it couldn't find 00102.m2ts. It is there so I cleared some hard drive space and resumed the job but come up with another error. I've changed the encode step to 4 which is the step before 00102.m2ts and deleted the log from 00102.m2ts in the INI. Do I need to move the m2ts files and the clpi files back to the WORKFILES folder to get it to rebuild properly? They're just short videos to encode now.
Jonaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 18:24   #15253  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonaldinho View Post
Do I need to move the m2ts files and the clpi files back to the WORKFILES folder to get it to rebuild properly?
I would strongly suggest that, given the errors that you are seeing, you should just begin again from scratch. Making sure, of course, that you have sufficient disc space this time, and that means MORE than 25GB (since BDRB has to create working files before writing to the target files).
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 18:36   #15254  |  Link
worknstiff

@ Jonaldinho RE:BD25 size and I ran out of disk space.

This has probably happened to all of us at one time or another. After you make enough room to finish the encode and rebuild (usually at least twice the size of the original BD), you restart BD_Rebuilder and make sure that you have the EXACT SAME setting's that you made the FIRST TIME (playlists, audio and subs and still have the same size output), then you are good to go. BD_Rebuilder will pickup where it left off and rebuild the Bluray structure, if it is only on the re-encoding step it will restart what ever step it was on before it crashed (ie: pass 1 or 2). Good Luck, worknstiff
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 18:54   #15255  |  Link
Jonaldinho

Thanks, I deleted the main movie encoded .264 file because it had already been muxed into an m2ts file, I always do this and it always works but because there was an error I think I need it now. I'll keep it in future to be safe if there's an error again. So now i've made space by deleting files that aren't related to the project. I have moved all the newly created m2ts files into the STREAM folder. There's the same amount as the original so I just need it to be rebuilt into a Blu-ray file structure. I have copyied everything to the new workpath except the original STREAM folder and I know that at least the clpi files need to be changed so I tried inputting the new structure into BD Rebuilder hoping it would remux and change the clpi files to be compatible but it didn't work because it's expecting other audio streams. Would changing the hidden option 'FIX_MOVIEONLY' to 0 fix this. If not I would start from scratch.
Jonaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 21:56   #15256  |  Link
Flanker-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihmcjacky View Post
I have followed strictly the instruction on the first page, but still got error on converting my adele concert blu-ray disc to 25gb discs, the following is the log

[06/15/12] BD Rebuilder v0.40.10 (beta)
[10:57:54] Source: ADELE
- Input BD size: 26.40 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:00:05.331]
- Target BD size: 22.95 GB
- Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR
- Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[10:57:54] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [10:57:54] Processing: VID_00000 (1 of 3)
- [10:57:54] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [11:15:48] Reencoding video [VID_00000]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 29.970fps, 178,602 frames
- Bitrate: 23,493 Kbs
- [11:15:48] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 1
- Encode failed. Aborting.
- BD-Rebuilder v0.40.10 (beta)
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, Ok
- HAALI Splitter: 1.9.42.1, Ok
- FFDSHOW: 3882, Ok
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libmpeg2": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "ffmpeg-mt": Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok
[11:15:49] - Failed video encode, aborted

My computer configuration:
Intel Core i7 2600
8gb ram
win7 64 bit ultimate

Will it be the bug of the software?
Have you tried to change settings in FFDshow video decoder settings for h264/avc from ffmpeg-mt to libavcodec?
Flanker-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 23:49   #15257  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonaldinho View Post
Hi, I know this is my fault but I left BD Rebuilder to encode to a BD25 size and I ran out of disk space. I just checked the progress and it had come up with an error that it couldn't rebuild because it couldn't find 00102.m2ts. It is there so I cleared some hard drive space and resumed the job but come up with another error. I've changed the encode step to 4 which is the step before 00102.m2ts and deleted the log from 00102.m2ts in the INI. Do I need to move the m2ts files and the clpi files back to the WORKFILES folder to get it to rebuild properly? They're just short videos to encode now.
Subtract one from the COMPLETED= entry and you should be able to pick up one file before you hit the issue.
Old 17th June 2012, 19:21   #15258  |  Link
k-c-ksum

been a while since i backed anything up, any way, noticed you have dts express support so i dug out and old favorite. The Fast and the Furious. It uses VC1 for the main movie and 2 PIP secondary tracks. After RB has done its thing and created the backup (Slow 2 pass for the main video, 1 pass CRF for the extras) i opened it in cyberlink powerdvd 11. All worked well apart from the dts express audio couldnt be heard. Reading back i see it works on some players and not on others. Curiously i opened the backup in RB and noticed the secondary tracks are flagged as 480i 23.976 were as the original rip is flagged as 480p vc1. Maybe this is causing the player to get confused and subsequently not playing the audio as its expecting the secondary video to be progressive?

Last edited by k-c-ksum; 17th June 2012 at 19:24.
k-c-ksum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 02:56   #15259  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-c-ksum View Post
been a while since i backed anything up, any way, noticed you have dts express support so i dug out and old favorite. The Fast and the Furious. It uses VC1 for the main movie and 2 PIP secondary tracks. After RB has done its thing and created the backup (Slow 2 pass for the main video, 1 pass CRF for the extras) i opened it in cyberlink powerdvd 11. All worked well apart from the dts express audio couldnt be heard. Reading back i see it works on some players and not on others. Curiously i opened the backup in RB and noticed the secondary tracks are flagged as 480i 23.976 were as the original rip is flagged as 480p vc1. Maybe this is causing the player to get confused and subsequently not playing the audio as its expecting the secondary video to be progressive?
Hmm.... I don't think that's the problem with the audio -- but I'll do some checking on the video. I got a similar report recently and forgot to follow-up.
Old 18th June 2012, 08:08   #15260  |  Link
ihmcjacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker-B View Post
Have you tried to change settings in FFDshow video decoder settings for h264/avc from ffmpeg-mt to libavcodec?
Of course I did, but same happens