Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 5th June 2008, 16:57   #1941  |  Link
Nakaleen

First off I love Staxrip (been using it for years for all my encoding) but now I want to start encoding my recorded tv shows without me setting up each and every encode.

I have two dir, one for Pan&Scan videos (cropping off 100px left and right) and widescreen (no crop) At the moment I can get the commandline to encode my videos but autocrop dose not work for most of my Pan&Scan videos (maybe because some of the video is in 16:9)

I am putting my hair out trying to find out a way of telling Staxrip in the commandline to crop the files I want by 100px on each side, or by any amount via the commandline

I tried to get my head around the macro string editor but even with the help (that pops up only once and never again without reinstalling staxrip heheheh) but it seems it is able to set the crop values, but no idea how to set it.
Old 5th June 2008, 19:43   #1942  |  Link
haxor2099
Yoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
When I first upgraded to 1.1.0.1 and I imported a dvd using Combine files it would go through the prepare process and when it was finished it created a subtitle file with the extension ".srt". Even though I haven't changed anything it is no longer producing the .srt Subtitle file during the preparing source process.
you could always usse subrip to rip the dvd's sub files...
anhyway any modern program like media player classic , supports reading .sub files from matroska containers
Old 5th June 2008, 19:55   #1943  |  Link
stax76

@Nakaleen

There might be missing features, what exactly is your source and what exactly would you like it to be cropped. I wonder why you are using CLI since batch processing can be done without.
Old 8th June 2008, 16:35   #1944  |  Link
Raboo

If I want to rip a DVD to x264 to watch on a full HD LCD.
What profile is recommended?
Old 8th June 2008, 18:50   #1945  |  Link
Deinorius
Najarenthur

It's more important you leave native resolution, doesn't filter too strong and you are using more higher than lower bitrates. Just use one of the normal profiles like CE/DXVA or consol-compatible profiles.

Of course you should use stronger settings than lower ones in x264.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:39   #1946  |  Link
Raboo

Isn't it time to split this thread up and have all the StaxRip questions separate?
I feel like both search wise and "human readability" wise it's pretty hard to go thru a 100 page thread...
I have a question but I want to make a new thread for simplicity and don't know if that would be breaking the norm of this forum...?
Old 10th June 2008, 13:13   #1947  |  Link
Deinorius
Najarenthur

Easy. Use search function. If you don't find anything, then make a new thread.
Old 10th June 2008, 13:19   #1948  |  Link
stax76

At the top right side there is a link 'Search this Thread', you can also search side wide, e.g. if you have a StaxRip x264 related question you can enter 'StaxRip x264' and enable the 'Show Posts' option. It shouldn't be a issue creating new threads here for StaxRip bugs, feature requests or questions as long as you don't violate the forum rules.
Old 13th June 2008, 19:37   #1949  |  Link
trueimage

Can someone help me out on using recorded HD content from my STB?

It is split like this:

recording.001
recording.002 (etc)
recording.idx
recording.ifo
recording.trp

The video is 720p MPEG-2

I want to convert it to a 720p x264 mkv

I either get errors on the avs file when I click add or I get an encode that won't even play (and I play downloaded 1080p x264 mkv files all the time)

My machine is a Q6600 with 2GB DDR2. I am however running Vista x64, I can dual boot xp 32 bit if that might be better? Or setup a VMWare image of XP?
Old 13th June 2008, 21:56   #1950  |  Link
stax76

I'm not sure StaxRip works under Vista x64, I've tried to install Vista x64 once to check if StaxRip runs but the setup returned only a strange error code, maybe my Vista x64 copy was borked or my hardware is not compatible, I think it should and I had Vista 32 running on it. I would try to install it again if I could install it as VirtualBox guest on a XP host but IIRC x64 guests are not supported. I'm not sure if there is a free virtual machine solution for it. VMWare would work for you but it's obviously not a ideal solution. As for your source, anything other I don't use myself (which is SD PAL DVD and SD MPG recorded with DVBViewer and demuxed with ProjectX) might require either luck or advanced AviSynth, VFW, DirectShow, StaxRip etc. etc. knowledge so newbies can have a very hard time with such sources in particular since the HD tools are not mature, dshow is used instead and there is a lot things that can go wrong here like having installed the wrong filter by the wrong codec pack.
Old 14th June 2008, 00:29   #1951  |  Link
trueimage

Well, maybe the speed won't be there, but a VMWare install of XP 32-bit will tell me if it works, then I can decide to install it on this box or not...

I thought ProjectX was a preparation step built-in? Should I do something to it first before I try StaxRip? I really want these in x264 mkv for storage, the 18GB+ file size is a bit excessive, esp when they could be 5-8 GB easy...
Old 14th June 2008, 00:43   #1952  |  Link
stax76

I've never seen such a split/filename/filetype pattern before, by default StaxRip probably can't open the files directly to prepare them, it might be possibly to configure StaxRip to do so. You can try to demux/index manually using DGIndex. You get then a d2v file and audio which StaxRip can open. If you get problems like sync issues you can try to demux with ProjectX before you index with DGIndex. I always demux using ProjectX and since many years, it's very robust.

Last edited by stax76; 14th June 2008 at 00:50.
Old 14th June 2008, 09:01   #1953  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
..... If you get problems like sync issues you can try to demux with ProjectX before you index with DGIndex. I always demux using ProjectX and since many years, it's very robust.
In fact I experienced many sync issues (say in 50% of the cases) when merging vobs of a VTS using the default method. Following your advice I re-tried a critical case using ProjectX for demuxing, then running DGindex on the m2v and selecting the audio produced by ProjextX. It seems to have solved the problem. So why not use ProjectX as StaxRips default demultiplexer and automate the process? Just some thoughts.
Old 14th June 2008, 10:32   #1954  |  Link
stax76

DGIndex works fine on VOBs, your sync issues are extremely rare, if you search the forum I don't think you'll find much about it, was your source a copy or a original? Only time that happened to me was a copy I made with DVD Shrink or Nero, I didn't find a way to fix it, it was so bad that even PgcDemux and VSRip returned a error so I ripped the original again using RipIt4Me, it had still a sync issue of 8 seconds because of nasty authoring, DVD started with a 8 second ad without sound, not many DVD's are authored like this and I wish DGIndex could fix that. I solved it cutting off the ad using DVD Shrink reauthor mode, now that I think about it it would have been easier to cut it with DGIndex.

ProjectX might not be popular outside of the DVB scene, at times there wasn't great alternatives, it was created because all previous tools sucked badly. VOB support was added rather late probably because the author was bored. Reasons why it's not so popular might be no binaries, no active development, difficult interface, Java requirement. It's a great tool however, I use it since the beginning, it's about 7 years old like StaxRip and it has never failed on a stream I recorded with DVBViewer.

Last edited by stax76; 14th June 2008 at 10:39.
Old 14th June 2008, 11:22   #1955  |  Link
Sharc

Source is ripped from original DVD with RI4M. Ripping it again with AnyDVD did not make a difference. Sync loss (=incorrect delay) is typically in the range of 200 ... 500ms when it happens. It can happen for the entire movie, or only for a part of it, say starting in the 2nd half or so.
I tried to find a systematic reason when this happens, no clear conclusion so far. In one case the reason was probably some intro ads at the beginning of the first vob. When skipping these intros with DGindex manually, sync was ok. In one case the delay of the first vob was insane: some 87000ms. Skipping one GOP with DGindex set the delay correctly. In one case the sync loss started in the middle of a vob for no obvious reason. Batch processing the individual vobs instead of merging mitigated the problem. It appears that ProjectX handles these cases safely, I would need to do more tests however. I admit that I was "intimidated" a little by ProjextX at the beginning .....
Thanks for your explanations.
Old 14th June 2008, 11:52   #1956  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
or only for a part of it, say starting in the 2nd half or so.
Starting 2nd half only happened once too me and before you I've never read about it. What I've often read about is sync issue develops towards the end but I've never experienced it. Loosing sync in the middle is nasty so I hope it won't happen again or a reason can be found.
Old 14th June 2008, 22:55   #1957  |  Link
Sharc

Now I had a new sync issue:
Audio Track 2 (en): Perfect sync
Audio Track 1 (de): Out of sync by 12 seconds.
First vob starts with a WB logo intro (vob1 cell1 of 12 seconds duration). The audio of this intro is missing in Track 1 (de), i.e. it started immediately with the audio for the movie. Hence the (de) audio is early by 12 seconds.
=> I'll try again using ProjectX for demuxing.

Added:
ProjectX managed to align the two audio language tracks correctly with the movie, although the audio for the intro clip is missing in the (de) track.

Added 2:
Ok, here how I finally solved this problem using DGIndex. It needs little manual work.

1) Open DGIndex and load (File open .... ) all the vob files belonging to the title.
2) Advance with the > button until the first cell of the movie appears (see DGindex window tiltle bar), i.e. skipping the VOB ID (VOB1 cell1 in my case) of the studio intro.
3) Press the [ button
4) Save the project
5) Now load the d2v generated by DGIndex in step 4) into StaxRip and continue as usual.
The 2 audio tracks are now both in sync with the video, the studio intro is skipped.

Last edited by Sharc; 15th June 2008 at 11:07. Reason: Added
Old 19th June 2008, 07:00   #1958  |  Link
Sharc

I am using Xvid in DivX container for material which I want to playback on my SAP. Quantizer 2 with qpel delivers very nice quality.
It seems however that DivxMux (the muxer used by StaxRip for DivX container) has a problem when the filesize exceeds about 4GB, yet still would fit on a DVD5. No error message or warning, the movie is just truncated, and search/random access becomes a problem. It seems to work well for file sizes below 4GB.
Does anyone have similar experience? Is there a limitation?
Old 26th June 2008, 18:11   #1959  |  Link
arrirc
Aminei

Hello Stax

Please find the crash report here (reference: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...#post1152658):

http://www.mediafire.com/?dyyuiy3uxz3
Old 26th June 2008, 20:42   #1960  |  Link
stax76

Hi,

It's crashing trying to minimize a external application, what external application runs when this happens? I've uploaded a beta trying to fix it but since it's not clear what's causing it I can't promise much.
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265