Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 28th December 2005, 22:49   #241  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
It requires .NET (I'm glad they at least partially got rid of this in Delphi 2006, but no such luck for VB). IMHO .NET is just some bloated thing Microsoft invented to try and intigrate everything but it just seems to bog prorgams written in it down.
I'm not too fond of Delphi either

Quote:
When it crashes it doesn't ask where to save the debug file. I don't know about everyone else but my desktop is not a place where I'd put a file I actually want to find :P
I thought most users use the desktop for tasks like this, your method would be a addituional step for most users.

Quote:
Everytime you do something for the first time a help windows pops up right in front of the window you were just about to work in. This doesn't really seem necessary since there's a help button on almost every form and makes using the program for the first time really annoying.
I should have done a global option, it's not too late.

Quote:
When you do something there isn't much indication that what you did had any effect. Like when I uncheck resize the resize options don't disable themselves and still allow me to change them leading to some confusion as to whether or not resize is actually disabled. Same with crop when you disable it the cropped size is still shown as different under the input file instead of the same as the original.
I understand what you mean, probably difficult to do

Quote:
The interface is a bit counter-intuitive at least for me. It took me a couple of seconds to realize that I needed to use the next button to go forwards, I was looking for an 'Encode' button and though the next button was just to go to the next hint down at the bottom.
I think the assistant way is not bad, it gives many useful warnings and creates a workflow, maybe needs time to get used to it. I thought about giving control about what it should remind.

Quote:
This might not be a bug but even though noise and subtitle are shown on the filters setup box they don't show up in the list on the main form.
It's configurable and the defaults are simple because it might be scary for novice users.

Quote:
When it asked me to perform a compressability test it poped open a dos window but even after a few minutes it didn't seem to be doing anything so I ended up aborting.
x264 is a console app, maybe wrong x264 options, this stuff needs work and it's the next big thing, a new x264 config dialog.

Quote:
It's sort of difficult to tell what encoder and muxer your using you should probably use a check menu to indicate what encoder/muxer your using. It would also be nice to have the option to change these from the main form without having to go to the menu since it's one of the most often changed settings.
Regarding checkboxes, wouldn't make sense, after the object is cloned there is no relation. I've noticed there is no indication but hadn't a great idea yet. About putting it on the form, how would you do that?

Quote:
It'd be nice to have the program recgonize irregular resolutions from the uncropped/resized original instead of just on the resize adjuster since it still let me encode even though x264 said that since one of the demensions was not divisible by 16 it might effect the compression.
Didn't understand it.

Quote:
Since you already have the box at the bottom indicating what all the buttons do you should probably also have a tooltip on the labels for things like quality and compressability saying what the numbers there indicate.
The What's This help would open a help topic if writing this wouldn't be that much of a pain

Quote:
This might just be this one error, but when you have crop disabled and then go to crop in the menu instead of saying that the filter setup doesn't allow cropping it should say something like "You must enable crop in the filters list first." Or when you uncheck crop in the filters list disable crop in the menus options.
Needs work, yes

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a precise way to adjust the cropping. You might want to do something like in virtualdub with cropping so you can adjust the values more precisely.
Aren't the values in the status bar enough? Guess what happens when I was encoding with VirtualDub by hand? I thought no way me going to all this several times a day. So I started DVX 4 years ago, I cannot even remember what the crop dialog looks like.

Quote:
I don't really know why this occurs so it might be a bug but when you switch to x264 in the encoder menu it also switches to mp4 in the muxer options if this is a bug then ignore this, but if it's a feature then the menu option should probably only do what it says since having it change both the encoder and the muxer when you only expect it to change the encoder is a bit confusing.
It's by design, looking at the menu nobody would expect this and this is bad. My considerations were changing a encoder will likely need another muxer, think of formats like avc, wmv, rv10 etc. This sound stupid but the other problem was I didn't know from where to open the muxer options so it was handy being able to make the muxer part of the encoder. The fact that the muxer options are avaiable in the encoder menu is a indication that the muxer is part of the encoder.
Old 28th December 2005, 22:58   #242  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I don't know if this has already been requested, but I don't have time to read through all pages now: can you add an option to hardsub? I tried to add a filter to use TextSub, but AviSynth just complained about not knowing the command.
There is Tools/Add Forced Subtitle but this uses VobSub(). If you need another function for forced subtitles I'll have to work on it. How is TextSub() different? Where can I download it or is it a function of vsfilter too?
Old 29th December 2005, 13:27   #243  |  Link
mulrich
n00b in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
There is Tools/Add Forced Subtitle but this uses VobSub(). If you need another function for forced subtitles I'll have to work on it. How is TextSub() different? Where can I download it or is it a function of vsfilter too?
Oh yeah, the VobSub thingie doesn't work either. I tried it and AviSynth says it doesn't know what VobSub means. TextSub is part of the VobSub download, I think.

TextSub is different, because it can work with text subs like SRT, SSA and ASS without losing formatting. VobSub can't do that as far as I know.

Last edited by mulrich; 29th December 2005 at 13:32.
Old 29th December 2005, 15:01   #244  |  Link
stax76

@mulrich

try this: http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip
Old 29th December 2005, 16:17   #245  |  Link
Macarse

goin to check it.
Old 29th December 2005, 17:38   #246  |  Link
mulrich
n00b in trouble

Quote:
Thanks, stax, works perfectly now! You should implement that as a permanent fix.

EDIT: Now I just need to be able to add multiple subtitle tracks

Last edited by mulrich; 29th December 2005 at 22:58.
Old 30th December 2005, 00:12   #247  |  Link
Nrmf

Stax did u get me email on the eroors i am getting in win 64 bit pro
Old 30th December 2005, 00:22   #248  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Now I just need to be able to add multiple subtitle tracks
Optional subtitles are already supported for mkv, mp4 and divx

Quote:
Stax did u get me email on the eroors i am getting in win 64 bit pro
I received only a project file. You said generating a bug report does not work after the crash. What if you generate a bug report from the main menu?
Old 30th December 2005, 00:59   #249  |  Link
Nrmf

how do i do that stax
Old 30th December 2005, 01:23   #250  |  Link
stax76

In the main menu choose Help and select Send Bug Report.
Old 30th December 2005, 05:05   #251  |  Link
Nrmf

will not create a report that way either so i will manual enter what it says...

System Exception:AVIFileOpen failed
at staxrip.avifile.open(string filename)
at staxrip.avisynthdocument.synchronized()
at staxrip.avisynthdocument.GetFramerate()
at staxrip.globalclass.solvemacros(string value)
at staxrip.info.getmacros()
at staxrip.globalclass.sendbugreport(exception ex)

think thats got it...really hope that helps
Old 30th December 2005, 13:16   #252  |  Link
mulrich
n00b in trouble

Quote:
Optional subtitles are already supported for mkv, mp4 and divx
Yar, well, I meant multiple hardsub tracks :P So I don't have to go and add an extra line in the AviSynth script manually everytime.
Old 30th December 2005, 15:57   #253  |  Link
stax76

@Nrmf

Thanks for your endurance, I much appriate it. I can't promise you we will solve it until I got such a system but as long as people send debug info I'll work on it. I just got a report by another 64 bit user. Here is the next build:

http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip

Quote:
Yar, well, I meant multiple hardsub tracks :P So I don't have to go and add an extra line in the AviSynth script manually everytime.
Eh, I think I could need some clarification, how is gonna 2 forced subtitles at the same time work? Won't they blend each other or is there a way to adjust the hight?
Old 30th December 2005, 17:19   #254  |  Link
swaaye

I've been using Staxrip for a couple days now. Few comments.

- Would be nice if the Staxrip window wasn't "frozen" while the program is running jobs. Hard to tell how many jobs are remaining this way.

- Be able to set it to just use 1 audio file instead of two if it detects two in folder. And be able to set it to only use AC3 files.

- Staxrip's auto crop is pretty poor. I've seen it crop huge parts of the top/bottom. It seems far too agressive. I've set mine up to use the Autocrop filter in the Filters flow (autocrop(mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10, aspect=-1,threshold=34,samplestartframe=1000,leftadd=0,rightadd=0,topadd=0,bottomadd=0)
). I got the latest autocrop too, the one used in AutoGK as well. (Maybe that's what's causing the prog probs?) I used AutoGK's parameters as a guide but set aspect=-1 so it doesn't change the aspect of the input. Using this causes annoying delays when Staxrip accesses the filter stream (autocrop looking at frames), but it's acceptable because it crops extremely well.

- I added a "Precise Bicubic" (BicubicResize(x,y,0,0.75)) option. According to avisynth faq it's the same config as VDub's Precise Bicubic. I've actually found it gives a better picture than Lanczos with these noisy TV DVDs and a Xvid HT NTSC setup. Precise Bicubic looks arguably better than using RemoveGrain(mode=2)+Lanczos in my testing. And it's faster. Obviously this is personal pref. Bitrate ~1100.

TIVTC is a fantastic filter btw. Might be a good addition. A lot faster than decomb and works very well with hyrids even.

Last edited by swaaye; 30th December 2005 at 17:27.
Old 30th December 2005, 18:39   #255  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
- Would be nice if the Staxrip window wasn't "frozen" while the program is running jobs. Hard to tell how many jobs are remaining this way.
What you should see is the Log dialog or it's a bug, maybe I can write to the top of the log "Job 1 of 4".

Quote:
- Be able to set it to just use 1 audio file instead of two if it detects two in folder.
I'll take a look at it.

Quote:
And be able to set it to only use AC3 files.
Correct would be of course if it would only pick up files that are supported by the selected audio profile and it would use the priority defined in the audio profile. I'll take a look at it.

Quote:
-Autocrop is pretty poor. I've seen it crop huge parts of the top/bottom. It seems far to agressive. I've set mine up to use the Autocrop filter in the Filters flow (autocrop(mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10, aspect=-1,threshold=34,samplestartframe=1000,leftadd=0,rightadd=0,topadd=0,bottomadd=0)
If possible I would like to avoid making a option. Maybe you can explain me the differences between your and my method, I'm using this:

Code:
ConvertToYV12().AutoCrop(mode=2)
Do you wanna put this in the filter setup and disable the build in feature? I've never tried something like this but it should work.

Quote:
- I added a "Precise Bicubic" (BicubicResize(x,y,0,0.75)) option. According to avisynth faq it's the same config as VDub's Precise Bicubic. I've actually found it gives a better picture than Lanczos with these noisy TV DVDs and a Xvid HT NTSC setup. Precise Bicubic looks arguably better than using RemoveGrain(mode=2)+Lanczos in my testing. And it's faster. Obviously this is personal pref. Bitrate ~1100.

TIVTC is a fantastic filter btw. Might be a good addition. A lot faster than decomb and works very well with hyrids even.
Maybe you can post patches, everything that needs another dll is critical as I have to integrate it in the download feature as well.

Code:
field.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Field", "Deinterlace", "FieldDeinterlace()", True))
field.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Field", "Fast Deinterlace", "SeparateFields().SelectEven()", True))
field.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Field", "IVTC", "Telecide(guide=1).Decimate()", True))

resize.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Resize", "Sharp", "LanczosResize(%target_width%,%target_height%)", True))
resize.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Resize", "Neutral", "BicubicResize(%target_width%,%target_height%,0,0.5)", True))
resize.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Resize", "Soft", "BilinearResize(%target_width%,%target_height%)", True))
Since it seems that you've grasped all StaxRip's AviSynth features, I hope it's a good way to do things.

Last edited by stax76; 30th December 2005 at 18:42.
Old 30th December 2005, 19:48   #256  |  Link
swaaye

Quote:
Since it seems that you've grasped all StaxRip's AviSynth features, I hope it's a good way to do things.
Yes I really like your prog. It's so much more powerful than AutoGK but is almost as simple. The way everything is editable is fairly amazing, IMO.

Quote:
What you should see is the Log dialog or it's a bug, maybe I can write to the top of the log "Job 1 of 4".
Actually what I mean is that the project setup window is frozen completely and isn't displaying any useful info (other than the processing window that loads when you start an encode). It's the same sort of thing as when a program freezes up and you have to kill it. I know it's not locked though, it processes through the jobs fine though. Maybe you could set it up to minimize/hide the big project setup window and just display a job list panel? This would also hopefully allow one to kill off individual jobs instead of hitting Abort for a few minutes and ending them as Staxrip loads them. I thought AutoGK had this setup very well.
Old 30th December 2005, 19:55   #257  |  Link
swaaye

Quote:
If possible I would like to avoid making a option. Maybe you can explain me the differences between your and my method, I'm using this:

Code:
ConvertToYV12().AutoCrop(mode=2)
Do you wanna put this in the filter setup and disable the build in feature? I've never tried something like this but it should work.
The story is I used AutoGK for a ton of encodes recently and it cropped fantastically. So, I just used most of what lenn0x had set for parameters, with the one change to not force a new aspect ratio. I initially tried forcing 4.0:3.0, like his readme for autocrop 1.2 says, but that gave be a strange 5:4 aspect in the end. I just set it to aspect=-1 and all was well and it still cropped great in the 3 or 4 test encodes I did last night.

As to the other parameters he used, I don't know what the exact purpose is. I'm guessing that they optimize the crop to fit better within codec resolution limitations (hence the multiples of 4). He has 'hMultOf' set to 4 instead of the default of 2. His slightly higher threshold of 34 (from 30) is probably to help autocrop be more sensitive with a wide range of sources (dirty/clean). I set the the sample start frame to 1000 because I thought frame 0 would just be blank anyway so would be pointless.

Last edited by swaaye; 30th December 2005 at 19:57.
Old 30th December 2005, 20:00   #258  |  Link
Mutant_Fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaaye
I set the the sample start frame to 1000
And if the clip is 999 frames long?
Old 30th December 2005, 20:14   #259  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Actually what I mean is that the project setup window is frozen completely and isn't displaying any useful info (other than the processing window that loads when you start an encode). It's the same sort of thing as when a program freezes up and you have to kill it. I know it's not locked though, it processes through the jobs fine though.
I've changed the title bar of the processing window to "StaxRip - Log" so it'll be called Log window in future versions. Whenever this is visible the main dialog is hidden, so it's a bug.

Quote:
Maybe you could set it up to minimize/hide the big project setup window and just display a job list panel? This would also hopefully allow one to kill off individual jobs instead of hitting Abort for a few minutes and ending them as Staxrip loads them. I thought AutoGK had this setup very well.
I'll investigate it but it would be a non trivial change. This area has not the best design as it's a) difficult and b) inherited from DVX.
Old 30th December 2005, 21:41   #260  |  Link
swaaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant_Fruit
And if the clip is 999 frames long?
I set it for myself, not for the general populace. I'm saying that frame 0 probably isn't useful.
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265